Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
This is super late but that Batgirl piece is amazing and I'm a little jealous!

I have a page from his time on the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series, but I do want more of his stuff. He's very good

I'm also starting to get the itch for getting new pieces hard, thinking about it now it's been quite a while since I have gotten anything at all

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Erik Larsen's only recently started selling pages of original art from Savage Dragon, I own a few pages from his Spider-Man, Defenders, and Doom Patrol runs, but these are the first Dragon pieces I've been able to get my hands on. Can't wait for them to get shipped!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I'm also starting to get the itch for getting new pieces hard, thinking about it now it's been quite a while since I have gotten anything at all

I get that itch every couple months. The time between con season get's dangerous, because it's tempting to blow a lot of money with dealers using the credit card. At least at cons I can sort of manage my spending based on how much cash I bring. That being said, I'm an addict, so I had to get the cover to Hinterkind #1 from Greg Tocchini's art dealer in Brazil:

Greg did a quick sketch for me too, based on his art in Low:

Never had anything shipped to me from Brazil, so we'll see how this goes. I'm kinda nervous the piece will get damaged on the way.

Just need to refrain from any more purchases until Special Edition...

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

gninjagnome posted:

I get that itch every couple months. The time between con season get's dangerous, because it's tempting to blow a lot of money with dealers using the credit card. At least at cons I can sort of manage my spending based on how much cash I bring. That being said, I'm an addict, so I had to get the cover to Hinterkind #1 from Greg Tocchini's art dealer in Brazil:

Greg did a quick sketch for me too, based on his art in Low:

Never had anything shipped to me from Brazil, so we'll see how this goes. I'm kinda nervous the piece will get damaged on the way.

Just need to refrain from any more purchases until Special Edition...

That cover is amazing. You'll have to let me know how his dealer is. I've seen a couple people he reps but been a little gunshy on new dealers sometimes.

I had a piece from Mico Suayan (Rucka Punisher page) shipped to me from the Philippines. It showed up in great condition and honestly faster than some local US dealers. But I understand the hesitation, you just spent serious cash on something of unknown quantity that's being shipped out of your control going through multiple hands.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever commissioned a piece from Phil Noto? I met him years ago at a comic shop signing event, and he drew me a Blue Beetle head sketch on a comic backing board (for free), but I wouldn't mind getting an actual commissioned piece from him. Of course, I've been a fan of his since his Birds of Prey covers and Danger Girl one-shots, and now he's slowly (and deservedly) becoming a superstar, so I have no idea how much that might cost.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I found my old photobucket account with scans of my savage dragon sketchbook, let's see if I can remember the names of most of these artists.

Adrian Alphona

Art Balthazar

Jess Franco

Tim Bradstreet

Jeffrey Brown

Kody Chamberlain

Geoff Darrow

Valentine Delandro

David Finch

Agnes Grabowska

Phil Hester

Rich Koslowski

Angel Medina

Matt Wagner (Grendel)

Ande Parks

Derick Robertson

Ron Wagner

Ethan Van Sciver

Bill Siencewicz

Art Suydam

Cory Walker

Chuck Dixon

Ale Garza

Mike Norton

Kevin Sharpe

Andy Smith

Tony Moore

Mike S. Miller

Mark Englert

Jim Valentino

Nelson

Robert Kirkman

Mark Bagley

?

Francis Manupal

Todd Nauck

Franchesco

?

T. Derenick

Ryan Ottley

Eric Powell

Jon ?

Chris Giarusso

Neil Vokes

Zander Cannon

I've gotten a few more sketches since I last scanned the book, I'll see if I can get a few more scanned and posted later.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

That cover is amazing. You'll have to let me know how his dealer is. I've seen a couple people he reps but been a little gunshy on new dealers sometimes.

I went through him to get a Rafael Albuquerque commission at NYCC last year that went well, so that made me a little more confident in a purchase. He was pretty responsive via email, we'll see how it looks when the package arrives.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone ever commissioned a piece from Phil Noto? I met him years ago at a comic shop signing event, and he drew me a Blue Beetle head sketch on a comic backing board (for free), but I wouldn't mind getting an actual commissioned piece from him. Of course, I've been a fan of his since his Birds of Prey covers and Danger Girl one-shots, and now he's slowly (and deservedly) becoming a superstar, so I have no idea how much that might cost.

Never tried to get one from him, but the Statueforum convention rate thread has commissions at $100 for B&W, $200 for color as of 2009.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

I went through him to get a Rafael Albuquerque commission at NYCC last year that went well, so that made me a little more confident in a purchase. He was pretty responsive via email, we'll see how it looks when the package arrives.

Never tried to get one from him, but the Statueforum convention rate thread has commissions at $100 for B&W, $200 for color as of 2009.
My Albuquerque commissions went through him direct. Weird that he has like 2 separate art dealers though.

As for Noto, he was at SDCC in 2011 and I remember his color ones were like 600. That's sadly the last time I saw him at a convention. I'm sure its gone up since.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Got a few more pages scanned from the past few years of my Savage Dragon comicon sketchbook.

Dave Dorman

Johnny Ryan

Adam Hughes

SHOTS FIRED from Neal Adams! Just kidding, he loves Erik (even though he spelled it with a C)

Jeff Smith

Bruce Timm (he was a bit pissy and didn't believe it was my birthday, which was pretty funny)

Rob Schrab

Nate Powell

Kegan McLeod

and of course Frank Cho always delivers

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Timm can be kind of a dick sometimes because honestly, people are always trying to get poo poo from him. I swear at SDCC I've seen all kinds of dumb poo poo from people not wanting to spend the $100 on a commission and/or didn't get there early enough to get on the list.

Once you get past that though, he's a super nice guy.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not the biggest Savage Dragon fan, but that's quite the collection - some really nice pieces in there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Timm can be kind of a dick sometimes because honestly, people are always trying to get poo poo from him. I swear at SDCC I've seen all kinds of dumb poo poo from people not wanting to spend the $100 on a commission and/or didn't get there early enough to get on the list.

Once you get past that though, he's a super nice guy.

Yeah, I would never speak ill of the dude, and I can totally see him thinking I was one of those guys. I just happened to catch him by his booth at the end of the con and I figured what the hell. Even though he was short in temper, I'll love him forever for that little birthday present.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
C2E2 just passed here in Chicago - I was really happy with my acquisitions this year, I finally got my Jeremy Bastion commission and it is lovely and I got the cover art to the 3D Ventriloquist #1 from villains month a year and a half ago. Since I have not posted here since the last thread here is an updated album of my collection.

This is the cover I just got to Batman and Robin 23.1 aka Ventriloquist #1. The cover is done in layers because this was used for DC's 3D cover

This is the commission I got from Jeremy Bastion (Cursed Pirate Girl, Mouseguard) I have been trying to get on his list for years and was finally able to this weekend and told him to draw whatever he wanted to, I am very happy with the outcome.

An interior page to Batman and Robin by Gleason that I love due to the art displaying the action amazingly, I got this page last year.

Women in Refrigerator from Blackest Night by Gleason

Another Green Lantern Corps interior by Gleason, this one of Kryb being attacked by a giant baby construct. This was my first interior page.

Gleason Kilowog quick sketch

Gene Ha Harley Quinn

Scarecrow commission from Yildiray Cinar I love this commission so much

Ben Templesmith Joker

Mogo two page spread with John Stewart from Doug Mahnke

Lobo and Red Lantern Dex-Starr, Doug Mahnke

Above are two pencil interiors I got from Doug Mahnke cheaper then I should have because there are no inks, that being said I love them and the group shot at of the partial JL is amazing.

Random Gotham Adventures Page

Gotham Girls on canvas from Franco. Below are some other Art and Franco crayon sketches.

AlkalinePunk fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 27, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That's some awesome stuff. I love the Cinar Scarecrow. The use of the shadow just sends it over the top for coolness for me. But the whole collection is amazing and some great pickups.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

RevKrule posted:

That's some awesome stuff. I love the Cinar Scarecrow. The use of the shadow just sends it over the top for coolness for me. But the whole collection is amazing and some great pickups.

I have been trying to get art from Asrar and Cinar for five years now. So jealous!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bought some original art on ebay and the seller shipped it rolled up in one of those poster tube things, any tips for flattening it so I can put it in my art portfolio binder without terminally loving it up? The artwork is on pretty heavy art paper (I don't know the technical name for it).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AlkalinePunk posted:

Another Green Lantern Corps interior by Gleason, this one of Kryb being attacked by a giant baby construct. This was my first interior page.

Oh man. Probably my favorite Gleason page ever.
All that Pat and Doug :swoon:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That Mogo blackest night double page spread is awesome.

Xenomrph posted:

I bought some original art on ebay and the seller shipped it rolled up in one of those poster tube things, any tips for flattening it so I can put it in my art portfolio binder without terminally loving it up? The artwork is on pretty heavy art paper (I don't know the technical name for it).

For posters at least, I usually unroll them, flip it over (so it wants to curl into the table), then just put some books on the corners overnight. Once it's flat enough to get into a portfolio without damage, the weight of the pages over time will help flatten the page.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Shipping from Brazil took way longer than I thought it would, but the cover arrived in one piece. Took about a week and a half for him to ship, and then it was in transit for 3 weeks (piece was took big for fed ex shipping without being really expensive to ship internationally). It was well packaged, and he was good with communicating what what was going on (I guess Greg had to send him the piece before he could ship).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Who likes new art? I like new art! Denver Comic Con was this weekend and they brought some amazing A-listers. It wasn't until this morning that I realized I went SUPER overboard on Disney on my commissions this time.

This is literally my only non Disney commission. It's an awesome Megan from 100 Bullets from Dave Johnson. I've wanted a Megan from him for a while so having him actually there this year, I pretty much knew what I wanted from him.

Beach style Jasmine from Ramon Perez. The piece as a whole is fantastic but the little details are what make it ultra amazing. The magic carpet with Raja. And you can't see it but the book she's reading is 101 Arabian Nights.

I gave Joelle Jones the idea of 50's style Ariel. I had one thing in my head. This was not it. This is much better. This is amazing. I can't believe I own this.

Belle from Chrissie Zullo. Always commission Chrissie Zullo. Always.

Else from Andrew Robinson. This is much more classic styled Elsa than the other Elsa I got this year but this is amazing. The wash in the dress is great and a lot of awesome little details throughout.

Elsa from Eric Canete. Words are hard to come by to describe this one. Just awesome all the way through.

Denver Comic Con ate heavily into my SDCC budget this year but with how many either meh or stupidly overpriced artists I've found at SDCC recently (serious, there's a lot of artists who now jack up their prices $50-$150 just for SDCC) I think I'm coming out ahead in my art game. Though I did already promise another commission from Chrissie Zullo.....

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh

RevKrule posted:

Beach style Jasmine from Ramon Perez. The piece as a whole is fantastic but the little details are what make it ultra amazing. The magic carpet with Raja. And you can't see it but the book she's reading is 101 Arabian Nights.

Looks like the Magic Carpet is giving an a-ok sign which I really hope was intentional.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Elsa from Eric Canete. Words are hard to come by to describe this one. Just awesome all the way through.

I love Eric's work, and that pieces is awesome. I got a commission from him a few years ago for an armored warrior(similar to some art he had on display), and for whatever reason, he made it NSFW, so I never bothered to post it.

RevKrule posted:

Denver Comic Con ate heavily into my SDCC budget this year but with how many either meh or stupidly overpriced artists I've found at SDCC recently (serious, there's a lot of artists who now jack up their prices $50-$150 just for SDCC) I think I'm coming out ahead in my art game. Though I did already promise another commission from Chrissie Zullo.....

NYCC gets the same thing, it's kinda irritating, but I really can't blame them - gotta make a living somehow. Original art collecting has started to become a bigger part of the general comics collectibles market, which has increased prices in general too. It's so much harder to get a bunch of $50 commissions that are still of reasonable quality then when I first started collecting.

I've started to pay more attention to the bigger art auctions, and things escalate way out my price range real quick. Things like this don't really help either.

With the end to the awesome Flash TV show season, I figured I'd post it this Francis Manapul page I got a few years ago (pretty sure I've never posted it...):

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That Flash piece is great. Manupal knocked it out of the park with his Flash issues and it's hard to find a bad page.

As for prices, I feel you on price creep. I understand inflation and stuff and artist just begins to blow up, you can have issues keeping up w/demand and work for hire stuff. I saw it year over year w/Albuquerque (a 2 character commission from him that I got one year was actually $50 cheaper than a 1 character I got from him the next year). A lot of bigger names also have massively inflated their prices because of secondary market assholes too.

Honestly, now if I can get a decent artist for under $100, I'm very happy. Not that I'm not happy when I spend over that but it just isn't the same.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Yeah I got a Samnee 9x12 when he was on Thor, and it was $75.

Same piece now would run you $250+.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Those of you who have gotten things from Chrissie Zullo, was it hard? I remember talking to her at a convention before but this was two years ago and I have no idea what she said. I'm guessing I'd have to get in touch with her now to get something at BCC later this month?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It wasn't too hard at NYCC, last year. I went to her table first thing after getting in to NYCC on the first day of the con and was able to get her last open spot. It was probably 30 min or so after the doors opened.

I got an email from Albert Moy saying that he is repping her now, so you could email him to see what the con situation if you can't get in touch with her directly.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Those of you who have gotten things from Chrissie Zullo, was it hard? I remember talking to her at a convention before but this was two years ago and I have no idea what she said. I'm guessing I'd have to get in touch with her now to get something at BCC later this month?

It's not hard at all. The only snag I've could ever see coming across is that sometimes she wants to work on a piece overnight so if you're only there that day, you may need to work something out. Otherwise she's really easy to deal with and very reasonably priced.

At DCC I had no issues getting a commission (aside from the next day thing) and I've never had an issue at SDCC. I'll let you know how it goes next week though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Guess that means I need to get there really early then haha

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Special Edition was kinda a bust due to a toddler melt down, so I totally forgot the share this, but I was able to snag this Cary Nord piece during the hour where my daughter was relatively calm:

Also recently acquired an Edgar Salazar piece that he was selling on Facebook:

Managed to get NYCC tickets, so it's probably for the best that I saved some money at Special Edition.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 4, 2015

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Has anyone ever bought an original manga page? Is that something that you can even...do?

Hey sorry I just found this thread and saw this post.

When I was going to Japan a lot from 2000-2003, I would go to Mandrake looking for neat scores. They didn't have any original pages, but they DID have a great selection shikishi autograph boards with original art by all kinds of different artists. Rumiko Takahashi, Tsukasa Hojo, etc. The one piece that they had that tempted me was an original pen drawing of Mighty Atom, Uran and Jungle Emperor by Osamu Tezuka for $2800.

I still kick myself for not buying it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Finally recovered from SDCC. Like I said earlier, I was blowing a larger wad at Denver Comic Con but I still managed to grab some choice pieces from SDCC.

Gwen Stacy from Chip Zdarsky

Great work and he's just a fun guy to talk to. Highly recommend stopping by if he's at a con you're going to. Tony Harris was next to him and while I was there the three of us had a very interesting conversation on page rates and changes (or lack there of) in the past couple decades.

Bride of Nine Spiders from David Aja

He was a featured guest but had only one loving signing. He was sketching though which was super awesome. I got this in the front cover of my Iron Fist omnibus and now have a completed signature collection in there (Aja, Brubaker and Fraction).

Ariel from Chrissie Zullo

Have I said before to always get a piece from Chrissie Zullo? Because always get a piece from Chrissie Zullo. I guess people are finally taking my advice because I got this scheduled early Thursday morning and she said she wouldn't have it ready until late Saturday. Either way, another awesome piece from her.

SoCal Belle - Kris Anka

My big piece of SDCC was this one. Kris Anka got super excited when I gave him the theme and I think it was his favourite from con. I love it and it goes awesome with the other beach day princess piece I have.

I've been working with a well known colourist on getting some digital colors done. Hopefully in the next couple weeks/months I'll have those to show off.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Holy poo poo those last two :stare:

I really want something from them now. I wasn't able to go to BCC because of work but I already was given the OK to have NYCC time off so hopefully I can get a bunch of things there

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That Gwen would look great with my Zdarsky Spider-Man.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Oh I'm getting an Anka if I can find someone to pick it up for me at NYCC. (I've already paid for it, and he's ok with a proxy pickup, I just haven't figured out who can do it yet). That one is so good!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

How do I get an Anka?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nodoze posted:

How do I get an Anka?

For larger cons, he announces his list via twitter/tumblr. For smaller cons, I would assume just walk up and ask. Either way, if he's going to be at a show you're going to, it never hurts to ask.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone ever bought any art using Heritage Auctions?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I haven't used Heritage but mostly because I don't really play in their price range. If you're curious about how reputable they are, they're considered the top in the league. Last year they sold the Killing Joke page. They almost always have someone's grail piece up for sale. But again, I don't have the money to play in their ballpark personally.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it looks like you can get some stuff like WildCats for $50 or so, but anything Batman or Captain is going to be $100 minimum. Some really good CGC books have gone for 30-40% under value. I'm looking at some. I'll let you know how the process goes.

edit: I'm gonna shoot for this Moebius piece.

Lots of He-Man animation cels up too, if anyone is in to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The pieces in the featured auctions go for way more than I'm willing to spend, but I have picked up a cheap piece or two from the Sunday auction that they do. Only real complaint is that they are a bit slow with shipping.

• Locked thread