Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Getting the season pass makes Burial at Sea Episode 1 a lot more better because you know you didn't blow $15 for a single 2 hour DLC. :v:

Clash in the Clouds is a good for getting a Bioshock fix while you're waiting for Episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Burial at Sea Episode 2 is out now! Downloading it now on Steam.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Burial at Sea Episode 2 is out now! Downloading it now on Steam.

Mine won't install. :argh:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I ran it twice, once even from the BaS Ep 2 store page. Ep 1 just installed when I ran the game.

EDIT: Restarting steam fixed it. I wish I had time to play it today.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 25, 2014

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Any word how big the download is?

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Frankston posted:

Any word how big the download is?

9.1 gigabytes

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Is there any more planned DLC other than burial at sea 1&2? I didn't realize there was a season pass when I bought burial at sea pt.1. Buying season pass now is a waste if the only thing I'm getting from it is episode 2. So unless there's more DLC coming, I'm just going to get pt.2 individually.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tuna posted:

Is there any more planned DLC other than burial at sea 1&2? I didn't realize there was a season pass when I bought burial at sea pt.1. Buying season pass now is a waste if the only thing I'm getting from it is episode 2. So unless there's more DLC coming, I'm just going to get pt.2 individually.

Nope, BAS2 is the last one.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thanks!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't even know if I'd want them to do more. It might be the Community season 4 of Bioshock. Whiiiich I guess was Bioshock 2.

I don't want another Bioshock 2.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Is there any reason to use lethal firearms in BaS Episode 2 except when you run out of Crossbow ammo and can't get more Crossbow ammo from a vending machine? The Crossbow is ridiculously powerful, completely silent, and you can get ammo back after knocking an enemy out. The lethal firearms are weak pieces of poo poo that alert enemies when fired and it takes forever to scavenge a decent amount of ammo from enemies. The only gun I used throughout most of the game was the Crossbow because it blew the other guns away.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

closeted republican posted:

Is there any reason to use lethal firearms in BaS Episode 2 except when you run out of Crossbow ammo and can't get more Crossbow ammo from a vending machine? The Crossbow is ridiculously powerful, completely silent, and you can get ammo back after knocking an enemy out. The lethal firearms are weak pieces of poo poo that alert enemies when fired and it takes forever to scavenge a decent amount of ammo from enemies. The only gun I used throughout most of the game was the Crossbow because it blew the other guns away.

The crossbow pairs well with the combo of having the fully upgraded Peep Show Plasmid and just turning perfectly invisible in place, shooting someone with a tranq dart, turning invisible again and just decking someone and turning invisible over and over when they keep coming where they last saw you. It's a little easy to game the AI.

That was really fun and I'm sad to see Bioshock end (possibly forever) though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are on sale on PSN. Just snagged BS2 and Minerva's Den. Finally gonna play it after I finish BaS Ep 2.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm planning on playing BaS 1&2 back to back. Roughly how long would this take? I know the first is about 2-3 hours, but I've not seen any estimates on the second.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it was about 5-6 hours. Definitely quite a bit longer than the first.

E: Though that's with exploring everywhere and trying to get into an area I didn't have access to for half an hour. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The first episode I finished in 3 hours or so, finding all 17 audio diaries. The second episode took me about 7 hours (but that does include replaying several parts because I blew my stealth run/died) and I got 21/15 audio diaries, and entering some areas twice because I explored them before the main plot sends you there to get an item.

If you don't think about it too hard, the story is pretty clever (even if parts don't really make much logical sense) and ties somethings together and adds some context to some others. I can't be any less vague without spoilers, sorry. However, the big plot holes may bother some people a great deal, and some of the "new context" feels pretty obviously like the devs trying to retcon certain things they realized were not popular, and some of the things that are tied together probably didn't need to be. Whether that works for you is up to you.

So I'd say that paying $15 for episode 1 was too much, but there's enough content in the season pass to be worth $20.

The general atmosphere in the spoiler thread though is that the story from DLC ruins the whole franchise, so that's something to consider as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 27, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The general atmosphere in the spoiler thread though is that the story from DLC ruins the whole franchise, so that's something to consider as well.

Yeah, I pretty much expected as much.

I'm about an hour in, and I'm enjoying it... much improved stealth mechanics, which actually feel fairly appropriate for the Rapture setting.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It doesn't. The DLC is pretty great and definitely worth playing.

And anyone who thinks it "ruins the franchise" should have their parents take them to a pediatrician for some very specific tests.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So i just got to the arcade and my game crashes when I ring the bell. How do I fix it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it was about 5-6 hours. Definitely quite a bit longer than the first.

E: Though that's with exploring everywhere and trying to get into an area I didn't have access to for half an hour. :v:

Steam says I beat Burial at Sea 2 in a little over three hours, and I wasn't just rushing through areas or anything. I did a fair bit of looking around. I'd say that beating both would take about six hours.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

pkfan2004 posted:

That was really fun and I'm sad to see Bioshock end (possibly forever) though.

Nah, I think Take Two's going to milk this franchise for at least another game. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cash run set in Columbia somehow, though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Christ, finding a fix for this crash bug when I ring the bell while the guy is on the phone in the arcade is proving to be impossible. :ohdear:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Welp, just started playing Burial at Sea 1 and already ran into a really annoying bug: when you search a container, all of your custom key bindings revert to the default settings while the search interface is open, which means I have to fumble for a different key to take stuff from containers now, and meanwhile all my other keys and mouse buttons do the wrong things until the search dialog closes. How is a bug like that still around months after the DLC was released? :argh:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

dennyk posted:

How is a bug like that still around months after the DLC was released? :argh:

I don't know how to break this to you...

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Speaking of bugs, I'm in appliances in BOS Ep 1 and can't get through the door where you have to boost Elizabeth up. That's where the objective marker is for closing the exhaust port in Toys (which is blocked off). Not sure if it's an actual bug or I'm missing something. Restarting the game didn't help.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
Are you absolutely sure you got every vent up to that point? I was in a similar situation before realizing I had missed actually closing the vent in the restaurant.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I did check, but yeah I had. It's a bug a lot of people have experienced, going by the steam forums. Will try doing the chapter over again once I have the motivation

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Unmature posted:

It doesn't. The DLC is pretty great and definitely worth playing.

And anyone who thinks it "ruins the franchise" should have their parents take them to a pediatrician for some very specific tests.

Agreed. I thought it tied things up nicely.

First DLC is a loving ripoff though. Second has a lot of gameplay and is fantastic. I really loved the notes on plasmids and big daddies and how imprinting is done etc. Makes me want to play the first game again, except remade. Also with better FPS mechanics

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

and how imprinting is done

That was one of the parts that just didn't hold up under any sort of scrutiny. Levine had a perfectly good explaination for Protector pair-bonding in Bioshock 1, and was elaborated on in #2, but they threw it out the window for some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Hey sorry to dredge this thread up from the dead but I figure it's probly the best place to ask. I just installed BI + dlcs on my laptop, but every time I boot it up I get an error that says "BioShock Infinite requires that your graphics hardware be compatible with DirextX 10 or DirectX 11, and have the Direct X 11 runtime installed." Has anyone else encountered this? I have all that stuff and my computer is absolutely able to run the game. Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

e: plus the game has run fine on my computer in the past

Little Blue Couch fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 26, 2014

• Locked thread