Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Has anyone modded in a manual save for this game yet? I don't mind the idea of checkpoints, but I was trapped playing the game 45 minutes longer than I planned to last night because I hadn't reach a checkpoint. Not only does this turn it from a game to to a tedious exercise in stumbling around and opening the quit menu constantly, but it's going to piss off my wife if I constantly have to wait until the game decides I can save before I can quit.

This actually was my biggest complaint about this game... in part because I'm a cranky old MouseAndKeyboard man who HATES when Console Mechanics get into my games, but also because of the time involvement issue. It's not a game where you can just pick up and frag for a few minutes between work obligations or whatever.

I've been tempted to replay it in 1999 mode, but without a Quicksave/Quickload it seems like it would be a tedious slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

True, but there's no reason not to allow you to carry a pistol and two large weapons.

Yeah, that was my thinking, too. And you shouldn't be allowed to use a two handed weapon while on the skyline, should be sidearms only!

Also, the full set of Vox variant weapons was unnecessary and occasionally confusing. It felt like a remnant from an early version of the game, where the reality split that arms the Vox was a more central part of the game, but they left it in, anyway.

CJacobs posted:

"Wah wah console games" say 'hardcore' PC gamers but the mechanic is not a result of consolization, but rather the fact that the game would be way too goddamn easy if you could carry around one of every weapon

Ease off there, cowboy, I never said that. I blamed the stupid waypoint save system on consolization, not the weapons restrictions. Choosing a limited load out of weapons is not a new idea in PC FPS games, the first example that comes to mind is 2000's Solider Of Fortune.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 7, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

zenintrude posted:

It's a good game, you will enjoy it.

Agreed. In retrospect, I enjoyed MD more then BS2... and I liked BS2 a lot!

You guys make some great points about story and structure of BS2, but for me the real issue was that the mid game turned into a bit of a repetitive slog. It felt like you were advancing too slowly, but maybe that's because the game gives you a lot of Adam early? At any rate, I felt the accelerated progression of Minerva's was a much more enjoyable pace.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I think that this game suffers from the one problem that plagues pretty much all FPS with wide-open spaces: the sniper rifle is just too strong. Once you've got the sniper rifle, tactically there is little reason to get close.

Recipe for sucess:

Step 1. Don't enter any large areas.

Step 2. Lurk around the entrance.

Step 3. Shoot all enemies in the head with the sniper rifle, one by one. Most will stand there and take it, but some will seek cover briefly before charging, so you can shoot them in the head as the run towards you.

Step 4. Proceed into empty area.

The claustrophobic environs of Rapture largely made this a non-issue in BS1 and BS2.

Of course, BSI offers a variety of places to fight (and some very dynamic battlefields, too), but I rarely ever dropped the sniper rifle after I got it. Once upgraded, it is ridiculously powerful against machines (turrets, flying drones, patriots), too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lakedaimon posted:

Yeah Clash didnt look all that appealing to me, but I figure Burial at Sea and the upcoming one are probably worth $20.

This was my thinking. I enjoyed the play of Burial at Sea. The environs and characters were nice, too: it was fun to see Rapture in her prime, and Liz as vampish pulp-novel "dame" was an interesting turn. But the ending pissed me off, and right now I'm done with this game until the next chapter comes out.

However, I ended up enjoying Clash in the Clouds more then I was expecting. Freed from having buy ammo/find guns/budget for upgrades, you really get to explore the combat engine more fully. I ended up playing most of it.

closeted republican posted:

I thought Clash was pretty fun. There's no real penalty for dying, so you can do nuts trying all sorts of different tactics. A lot of the tricks you can do it in can be carried over to the main game to make combat easy. For example, I found a trick in Clash that made Handymen ridiculously easy and used the poo poo out of it in my 1999 Scavenger Hunt run.

I'm not about to do 1999 mode, but what's the trick?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

zenintrude posted:

feels slapdash in practice.

Agreed. But I still enjoyed it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MrBond posted:

The PC UI struck me as very console-oriented. That menu came up if you held down LB on a 360 controller.

There were a LOT of little "console touches" that I didn't like.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I didn't find out you could switch which two vigors were equipped until 2 hours before the end of the game. There is never any mention of the "gameplay" menu and that it's separate from the pause menu. I was stuck with Shock Jockey+whatever vigor I most recently picked up for most of the game and kept thinking "this sucks, that can't be right" until I googled and found instructions to press the O key.

Ug... Same for me, except I figured it out about 20 minutes after I got the third Vigor. So, not nearly as bad, but I still feel your pain. I blame the lack of game manuals these days.

When I played the original Half-Life, I almost all the way to end before I realized that the speargun had a second fire mode (sniper mode). That made me feel pretty stupid, since other weapons in that game have secondaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The general atmosphere in the spoiler thread though is that the story from DLC ruins the whole franchise, so that's something to consider as well.

Yeah, I pretty much expected as much.

I'm about an hour in, and I'm enjoying it... much improved stealth mechanics, which actually feel fairly appropriate for the Rapture setting.

• Locked thread