Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh, I was looking for a Bioshock Infinite thread a couple months ago and didn't see one, but here it is.

Some of those videos where the developers talk about their philosophy make me optimistic about the game... even though I can't remember what videos or what they said at this moment. I can hold off until I see what other people are saying about it, though.

The trailer looks like they've got a segmented health system, which is the best compromise between regenerating and healthpack systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Destructoid has a preview up. Elizabeth gets a costume change during the game. AKA I was right. :smug:

http://www.destructoid.com/bioshock-infinite-goes-beyond-our-sky-high-expectations-240079.phtml

That's good. Hopefully, they also did something about the freakish difference in size between her hands and Bookers (Seriously, he could have throttled her with just one hand). It was really weird.

The news about the delay is also good, how many games were clearly rushed out the door too early? It always shows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Just started this (thanks Brother Buer), and I'm surprised how well it runs on my aging machine, although I haven't reached any combat parts yet. I'm only about 44 minutes into the game and have just gotten the first vigor - Bucking Bronco. EDIT: Yes, it was the demonstration one, not one to keep. I didn't realize it because I saw that the auto-save had happened so I quit.

I'm not a fan of auto-saves being the only option - especially because I haven't found a way to let me know that I've passed a checkpoint other than trying to quit and comparing the last time-stamp to my watch. I like the atmosphere and actually wandering around one of these fantastical cities BEFORE they all go to hell. Seriously, 45 minutes into an FPS and I haven't gotten into one fight, and I don't mind at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 4, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've gotten the Shock Jockey vigor, and I'm almost back to the boardwalk. I'm pleased that I've been able to find just enough lockpicks to open everything, although I'm not all that thrilled that the safes so far haven't contained anything but about $250. Still, if they keep providing just enough lockpicks for the careful searcher, it'll be fine.

In the preview demos, it seemed like Elizabeth's power was more limited. Right now she seems to be able to do any available action as long as you only do one at a time.

Man, some of these choices are painful. I think I might have already done a couple bad ones, even though at the time they seemed to be reasonable. For the raffle ball one, I waited until almost the last second to throw the ball at the couple because it was just after seeing the warning about my brand. I thought calling attention to myself would be dangerous. I'm glad that I was interrupted by the soldiers. Just recently, in the Hall of Heroes, I decided to execute the old soldier guy, because it seemed like that's what he wanted. But almost immediately I regretted that decision. I'm going to keep going forward, no take-backs, but I'll try and be a better person than I have been so far.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like these games, but I tend to forget about the powers a lot of the time and stick mostly to guns.

...! posted:

Yeah, that was one thing I didn't understand about the game. Right after you get Elizabeth, lockpicks are scarce and it really makes you think about if you want to open a safe right now if it means you might not have enough lockpicks to pick open a door later. It does that for two areas and then the game starts throwing more lockpicks than you could possibly ever use at you. You don't even really have to search for them; most of them are directly in your path and you'd have to be blind to not notice them.

The lockpicks being unbalanced in that manner just seems really, really odd.

Of course there are extra lockpicks, they put those in for those who don't obsessively check every corner looking for loot.

You just didn't look hard enough. I scrounged around and found just enough lockpicks to open all the locks and safes in the area up until the First Lady Zeppelin. After that, there were lots more than I needed. I'm up to 15 extra in Shantytown now.

Speaking of which, some of the citizens in Shantytown seem unusually hostile. I just walk along, no warning (I haven't stolen anything), and then they yell and start shooting at me for no apparent reason. I don't particularly want to kill them, unless I have no choice. Am I doing something wrong, or are they just assholes and it's okay (not alignment-affecting) to kill them?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Brainamp posted:

There are always warnings when you get to somewhere that has hostiles in there. Where exactly were you heading, as there are 3 major location I can think of bypassable conflicts. As for the killing them, there is no "alignment" in this game.

I think there was a bar called "The Graveyard" at the bottom of some stairs, I was heading for that when some guys up ahead attacked. But before that (one restart from checkpoint earlier), I saw one of those red/yellow/blue potions, but some guy warned me off, so I turned around and walked the other way down the street and got attacked by some people for also no reason.

Never mind the alignment stuff, just tell me if I can expect to get attacked without provocation by the residents?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

second-hand smegma posted:

The section where the three people warn you off tends to glitch out for no reason, then the whole area goes up in arms; I tend not to go near that Infusion bottle until I'm on my way out of Shantytown.

Yeah, that was what happened, I wasn't close to the vending machine guys yet. I figured that I could come back for it later, and I was right.

In the Graveyard bar, I found some keys, which I guess were for a evidence locker (according to a Voxophone), but I cleared the cop station without being prompted to use the keys. There was a special-looking door near the tools which opened on approach, was that the evidence locker?

What's with all the machine-gun variants? You've got the Machinegun, the repeater, and the burst gun which are all pretty similar to each other.

The Handymen are really nasty bosses, I have a hard time handling them. I consider it a triumph if I manage to avoid getting killed in one of those fights. I'm glad I maxed my Shield. Shooting that big glowing weak spot is harder than it looks (especially because I am wearing gear that boosts aimed damage and penalizes unaimed).

I've made a lot more progress. I think I'm almost done. Comstock is dead by skull fracture and drowning.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

The evidence locker was a regular blue chest in an office on the second floor, connected to the room where you have the big Vox Populi suspect board. You were right next to it if you found the voxophone with the cop complaining about the lost keys.

Okay, I found it already. I figured I must have found it, I was just curious because I didn't see any "use keys on this" prompts or "you found the chest the keys belonged to" notifications.

quote:

Murder of Crows -> Devil's Kiss -> some heavy gun -> repeat is the least painful way to deal with them early on, especially the first, where there are no skylines to move around on. Later, you can use Undertow to drag them into traps and line up convenient heart-shots, which is easier. You can also just flatten them with upgraded Charge if you have the right gear.

Ah, I'm using different favoured (upgraded) vigors and am not really setting up traps anymore (since my main MO is to one-hit kill enemies with an aimed Sniper Rifle or Hand Cannon), and if that's not good enough, I fall back on Bucking Bronco and a shotgun. Thanks for the tips, my best guess was Lightning Jockey, which was quite ineffective.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
All right, I just finished the game. What a mind-screw, but the Rapture cameo was perfection. I also loved the stinger after the credits.

I missed a handful of Voxophones and Sightseeing things.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
You can lose the zeppelin core in the huge finale battle? I didn't know that, I beat it the first time and I think I only died once (although I was playing on Normal). I guess my loadout choice of the maxed-out Sniper Rifle was really good.

My final gear loadout was (Hat) Weapon Damage increased after killing, (Vest) All clip sizes +50%, (Boots) +25% Damage while aiming, -25% damage from hip-firing, (pants) 2x damage at very low health, and I maxed my shield and had 10 into Health and 5 into Salts.

Where are the saved games stored? I'd like to back them up, because my brother's coming over and I want to show him both the start of the game and some gameplay with Elizabeth, but I don't have time to play all the parts between. EDIT: Found them, thanks to a wiki.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just started over again, this time on hard difficulty. Definitely much harder. I've found some of my missing voxophones and sightseeing spots. I like that the gear is randomized a bit. I'm following the advice from the thread and am going for salt-salt-shield for my infusions. This time I think I'll go for the carbine and a different weapon, maybe the RPG, and use different vigors more.

I noticed people complaining about running out of ammo often. Is that because Elizabeth doesn't throw you as much ammo on higher difficulties? She did that often enough on Normal that I was usually able to keep my Sniper rifle stocked. That helped make up for the lack of additional backup weapons.

There's a neat little touch - if you throw the ball at the announcer like the instant the prompt comes up, Booker mouths off under his breath, I tried that scene a little while earlier and I don't think that happens if you wait a while before throwing it at him.

Oh, if you throw the ball at the other target, you still get extra gear in about the same place but it's a present from Jeremiah Fink "for your brutality". After that, Elizabeth looks apprehensive and down for most of the arcade.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've reached Emporia in my Hard playthrough. because of recommendations I'm using the carbine as a primary this time, but I'm still not convinced it's better than a poor man's Sniper Rifle. Yeah, it lets you carry more ammo, but it uses up more to get the same number of kills.

I've also been using the 2 salts, 1 shield pattern of upgrades, and on Hard, the shield seems pretty loving worthless. Even at rank 8 or 9 the bad guys are basically stripping it away instantly. I should have been going 2 Salts, 1 health (or maybe if I had ordered the season pass, put all 5 of the bonus infusions into health).

I'm almost done getting the Voxophones. One that I know is missing is Fitzroy having her IQ tested. Where's that one?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm surprised there isn't an achievement for fully upgrading all Vigors.

When I played Bioshock 1 and 2, I disabled respawning in Vita chambers. That's not terribly practical here, but nonetheless, on my Hard playthrough, I'm endeavoring to try dying as little as possible unless a badly placed checkpoint means a LOT of backtracking. I do a lot of restarting from checkpoints when I die, even though I don't technically have to. Dying just bothers me. (I play Serious Sam on Serious skill in single-player. It's really hard to survive when dying means game over, but that makes surviving the fights all the more satisfying.)

I'm in Emporia now, and I knew that the Siren fight was coming up soon. I cleared out all the enemies, unlocked all the shops, but didn't collect ANY of the four gear boxes so I could sweep them all up at once and restart if I didn't find anything good. I didn't get Blood to Salts, but I did get Bullet Boom (+50% clip size) and Storm (fire, electricity and [something else] chains to nearby targets). Equipped with the Hand Cannon and Hailfire, I prepared the field with some traps, and focused my aim on the lady as much as possible. There was a bunch of running back to the health kit spawns, but I pulled through without dying.

I swapped the Heater in for the Hailfire, thinking (wrongly) that it would be helpful in the close quarter, enemy packed fighting. Next up was the bank. In the lobby I threw down some Crow traps to keep the enemies from advancing, and headed up to a balcony for a height advantage, although it wasn't as helpful as I hoped. I tossed down some Shock traps. Remember the Storm hat? I'm not exactly sure what the hell happened, but it sure worked - the rest of the room melted away in bursts of electric zapping. I'll have to look out for that hat in the future, it's really good. I found a carbine, which is the only weapon I've upgraded, and ditched my hand cannon for it.

The second Siren fight was really nasty and took a few retries-from-checkpoint. I mostly concentrated on tossing fireballs or possession traps at the ground troops, and unloading my 18-shot carbine at the boss, and I beat that fight without dying as well. The Heater was worthless, the reload time makes it useless, so I temporarily ditched it for the Repeater.

Only one more to go. I'm not sure if I'll be able to prepare the battle field before a fight starts, so my possibly foolish loadout is a Sniper Rifle and carbine. The second fight is said to be the hardest, so I think I can handle this one. Maybe.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dude, you can just upgrade Charge, put on Brittle-Skinned, and crush the bitch with about four solid hits.

Is that not an option?

I suppose so, Charge is fully upgraded (after the previous fights), but I'd like to try another way that's more my style first.

EDIT: I was right, I didn't need Charge, I just lay down an entire mana bar worth of Shock traps before the encounter, (bought a full salts refill), and used the statue in the middle for cover, laying down more Shock and Fire traps and such to keep the enemies stun-locked while I focused the boss down. Took only a few tries.

I wonder if a build where I maxed out a Pistol and used it in combination with an RPG would be viable.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 18, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

It would be viable but kind of self-handicapping, since the Pistol requires careful aiming to rack up decent damage (and enemies seem to bob and weave a lot more on higher difficulties) and you can't use the RPG safely and reliably outside of a certain range.

Carbine and Hand Cannon / Volley Gun is what I'd recommend if you really don't want to mess around.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've already done a run where I maxed the Sniper Rifle, Hand Cannon, and got 3/4 of the Volley Gun upgrades, and this one I've maxed out the Carbine (still not as good as the unmodded Sniper Rifle), so I'm thinking of trying something new.

Are any of the Vox weapons good when upgraded? I know that the heater is pretty terrible with the default reload speed.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
You can get there later.

I tried them, but I really don't see the crows as being very useful at all. They do like zero damage. I tried using them repeatedly on guys with a tiny bit of health left, and it took a ton of recasts. It's better to stick with Shock traps. My run with the Carbine has left me unconvinced that it's useful (although granted, I was coming into that fight at half ammo). Even the completely un-upgraded Sniper Rifle is more useful than the fully upgraded Carbine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Just beat the game on Hard. I also tried [last fight spoilers]leaping onto the zeppelins to take them out personally, and while I like that was actually an option, it takes so much time that it wasn't practical.

I don't have a very good strategy for the final battle, other than lots of shock traps and use Songbird on the Zeppelins to save time.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Crows are helpful for Handymen, and the upgrade that makes dead guys into crow traps is pretty cool if not incredibly useful. I'll grab a carbine now and then if I'm low on ammo. It's not awful or anything, but I don't use it for long stretches simply because it's a boring gun. I don't like sniper rifles, so I end up just rolling with the handcannon :clint: if I ever want to hit faraway stuff.

Crows aren’t that useful for Handymen. It’s a 2 second distraction, not enough time to do much damage with your guns. Winter shield is the most useful thing for Handymen fights.

The dead guys into crow traps only works if they’re finished off by crows, which does not happen often. EDIT: Well, I think so. That's what the upgrade description says, and I'm sure that I've killed people who were being attacked by crows and they just died, they didn't turn into crow traps.

The fireballs you're supposed to throw immediately afterward do a whole lot more and leave you with a minefield of nest traps once you get the upgrade.

If you have to combine it with another trap to make it useful...

quote:

You didn't find a version of the Sniper Rifle with high ammo reserves, low recoil, and ease of use at almost any range to be useful?

That's seriously baffling to me. The Sniper Rifle is painfully slow to line up, fire, and reload, and it doesn't play at all well with most non-trap vigors, since the effects are usually over by the time you're ready to shoot; you have to hip-fire to capitalize on things like Crows and Shock Jockey, and good luck getting off more than a couple of rounds. I only ever use it for a handful of kills in two very specific locations in the game.

It's harder to line up shots with the Carbine's iron sights. Even maxed out, what appears to be a headshot takes off only about 80% of a standard soldier's health, so you need to shoot again. That hurts the ammo and firing rate advantages of the Carbine.

I don't usually need to use vigors with the Sniper Rifle - especially if you upgrade it to cut back on its recoil time and increase the fire rate.

The carbine is okay, it's just a very poor substitute for the Sniper Rifle at medium range and farther.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my third run, I'm trying out fully upgrading the shotgun and machinegun. I'm playing a lot more aggressively, using Possession and Bucking Bronco as crowd control. I'm dying a lot less than I did when using cover and trying to hang back. I'm surprised how effective racing at the enemy is. I'm failing a lot less this time. That kills-to-Salts gear is very useful.

The upgraded machinegun kills okay, but it runs out of reserve ammo really quickly - and enemies carry it a lot less after Shantytown. The upgraded shotgun is tremendous, though - especially when wearing the hat that increases reload speed by 30% and using Bucking Bronco.

I also tried fully upgrading the default pistol at the Emporia way-station. As expected, it doesn't pack enough punch to be worth it. Even with an 18-shot clip and 150 rounds, you burn up far too much ammo to get a kill.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

You will most likely find yourself using the Shotgun almost exclusively by the final quarter of the game. Enemies that are standing further away than ten feet will be a chore to kill with your weapons, and you will wish that you'd put your Triple R upgrades into something that deals faster damage and staggers enemies on hit.

I know, because I've been there.

That seems to be about right. The shotgun is fantastic and the machinegun is mediocre. I've reached the [Emporia] Siren boss battle, and it's not going well, because I'm trying to do a no-death run, so if I die, I reset to the last checkpoint. The first time I almost made it, though - that time I used Bucking Bronco to toss the minions up so I could focus on the boss.

I activated the last checkpoint before grabbing any of the 4 Gear pieces in the area, and I'm looking for a Bullet Boon to swap in place of the "40% chance kills replenish salts" - mostly just for the 2 extra shotgun shells, although the mental image of having two 105-bullet machinegun clips is funny. I might swap the machine gun out for the Sniper Rifle. I maxed that one out as well.

Will Shock Jockey disintegrate bodies? That could be helpful.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 24, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
(fully upgraded) Bucking Bronco + (fully upgraded) Shotgun + Blood to Salts is a nearly game-breaking combination if you have 10 Salt upgrades. Just fire Bucking Bronco every chance you get.

I'm also wearing Quickhanded for a super-fast shotgun reload, Overkill for the stun, and Last Man Standing because when you're nearly dead, a kill gives you back about 50% health, which I ended up using a lot more than I'd like.

Dirk the Average posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you don't need to disintegrate bodies - popping the head should do the trick.

The wiki explicitly says that decapitated enemies can still be resurrected, and I think that's correct.

I beat the [Emporia] graveyard Siren fight by going back to my first-attempt strategy of using Bucking Bronco for crowd control and taking the high ground. I did run dry on machinegun bullets, but there was a burst gun up where I was. I beat the bank vault Siren fight on my first try. Same basic strategy, except I used the offices for cover instead of the high ground.

EDIT: The third fight was tricky, but I hung out in the alcove at the top of the plaza, and used Bucking Bronco a lot. Last Man Standing kept me going long enough to whittle the boss down with the machinegun.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 25, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like Bioshock Infinite a lot. I played through it three times in a row. I'm still not going to shell out $20 until they release some detailed information on what the DLC packs are going to be. That's only reasonable.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
If you already want the season pass, I see no reason not to get it now.

I got it last month, but I decided to wait on playing Burial at Sea episode 1 until the second one is released. I'm actually enjoying the Clash in the Clouds stuff, the optional Blue Ribbon challenges are interesting and challenging enough to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The first episode I finished in 3 hours or so, finding all 17 audio diaries. The second episode took me about 7 hours (but that does include replaying several parts because I blew my stealth run/died) and I got 21/15 audio diaries, and entering some areas twice because I explored them before the main plot sends you there to get an item.

If you don't think about it too hard, the story is pretty clever (even if parts don't really make much logical sense) and ties somethings together and adds some context to some others. I can't be any less vague without spoilers, sorry. However, the big plot holes may bother some people a great deal, and some of the "new context" feels pretty obviously like the devs trying to retcon certain things they realized were not popular, and some of the things that are tied together probably didn't need to be. Whether that works for you is up to you.

So I'd say that paying $15 for episode 1 was too much, but there's enough content in the season pass to be worth $20.

The general atmosphere in the spoiler thread though is that the story from DLC ruins the whole franchise, so that's something to consider as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 27, 2014

• Locked thread