Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Verviticus posted:

At the police station: where is the key to the chest upstairs? I've looked almost everywhere but I don't want to walk through the tear without opening it - or is that ok

The key is hidden in the basement of the bar in Shantytown. When you get to the basement, go behind the stairs and follow the wall until you see an opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Doomsayer posted:

Do upgrades not make guns look different anymore? That was my favorite part of Bioshock 1 and 2, starting with a revolver and ending with a belt-fed, steam-spewing monstrosity. I've only gotten +damage upgrades so far, but the guns look the same afterward :ohdear:

Nope. :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

TShields posted:

This game is amazing, but I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to go back to that chest you see early on. I thought I would get to free-roam at some point, but oh well, not the end of the world. Another thing I'm having trouble getting used to is the weapon limitations. I mean, I don't want to be able to carry an entire arsenal, but I'd like to carry just ONE more gun.. I like going pisol/machine gun right now, but I'd love to not have to choose between one of those and a carbine. And holy crap, are V and Z really awkward to get to for anyone else in combat? I set the melee to my mouse thumb button, but for some reason it doesn't count for the charge-up finisher, only basic swipes. And I keep forgetting that I even have Vigors in combat. I end up with a pile of dead cops and full salt. Otherwise, this game is absurdly pretty and a ton of fun!

I rebound my keys so that iron sights is the right mouse button, while the middle mouse button is used for Vigors. It made things a lot easier.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I don't gently caress up, how far after encountering the first chest do you find the key?

You'll find it in the next area (the KKK hideout) you go to. After you grab it, it's a short walk back to the chest, so it won't take long to go and open the chest.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
After replaying BS1, one of the things I really miss in BS:I is playing puppetmaster with Plasmids. With Enrage, Security Bullseye, hacking and Hypnotize Big Daddy, you could make every hostile thing in Rapture work for you instead of try and kill you. Making every group of Splicers kill each other with Enrage, turning turrets against enemies with Bullseye/hacking, and having your Rosie buddy murder any straggler Splicers with three shots of his gun was really cool and made you feel like Rapture, despite it being a huge freakshow, was all under your control. Playing puppetmaster is also really cost effective and gives you breathing room to explore the levels and take in the atmosphere, since you don't have to worry about juggling money and supplies. At the end of my latest BS1 run, the only weapons I was using were the revolver with anti-personal rounds (headshots are deadly as gently caress with them) and the Chemical Thrower because playing puppetmaster just destroyed everything.

Possession isn't nearly as useful or fun as all the ways BS1 and BS2 allowed you to gently caress with enemies. Tossing everyone off the edge with Undertow is really neat, but sometimes, I just wanted everyone to massacre each other while I turned their security systems against them, then calmly walked by the in-fighting like nothing was wrong.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FauxGateau posted:

What you weren't a fan of playing pipe-dream for hours on end? Especially with it dissolving the tension of a battle... Then again Bioshock 2 was way better about this.

Just use Security Bullseye when enemies are around, then hack when everything is peaceful. :colbert:

Bioshock 2 did do a better job with hacking, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Space Hamlet posted:

I remember dying a bunch of times because I kept loving up in trying to open a safe somehow, then when I finally opened it it had a medkit inside, like some kind of totem to how sisyphean this entire game is, that's when i stopped playing, good old bioshock

Use auto hacking tools on every safe, no matter what. :smug:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I beat Ghost Mom in a Scavenger Hunt 1999 run a few days ago, and she wasn't that hard for the most part. The biggest pain is the last fight in front of Comstock House because there's nowhere to hide from the 10+ trash enemies she spawns in and the game expects you to get supplies from the vending machine in the back, so there's nothing for you if you run out of Salts. Had to restart from a checkpoint because I got to the point where I didn't have enough Salts to charge her enough to kill her and my other weapons just tickled her. Figured out that Brittled-Boned worked when you used Charge on someone, so it was smooth sailing the next attempt.

I think the biggest problem is that Ghost Mom has a ridiculous amount of health and there's zero indication that you're hurting her. She spends all of her time screaming "BITCH BASTARD WHORE SLUT HATE" like she's the Tourette's Guy even when you hit her and she plays no animation when she's hit, so it's up to you somehow finding her health bar in the middle of the 4 trash enemies surrounding her to see if you're actually doing a good amount of damage. Then, it turns out you're barely damaging her even though you unloaded your entire shotgun on her, so welp.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

I did a scavenger 1999 playthrough a few months ago, and the only part that gave me a lot of trouble was the fight in the bank. I was low on ammo, and completely had to cheese it. Thing is, her dudes won't respond if you kill them inside the vault. She won't follow you in there, but they will, and if you bait them in there, they stay there. Cheese, but gently caress that fight.

I did the same thing, but I did it so I could recharge my shield. gently caress Ghost Mom.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought Clash was pretty fun. There's no real penalty for dying, so you can do nuts trying all sorts of different tactics. A lot of the tricks you can do it in can be carried over to the main game to make combat easy. For example, I found a trick in Clash that made Handymen ridiculously easy and used the poo poo out of it in my 1999 Scavenger Hunt run.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

However, I ended up enjoying Clash in the Clouds more then I was expecting. Freed from having buy ammo/find guns/budget for upgrades, you really get to explore the combat engine more fully. I ended up playing most of it.

I thought Clash was going to suck, but it's actually really fun. It shows how fun BS:I's combat can be.

quote:

I'm not about to do 1999 mode, but what's the trick?

The trick I use is to pull them with Undertow's alt-fire, then unload into their heart with the carbine or SMG. Simple, but very effective. You need to keep a little bit of distance, because they'll retaliate as soon as they get free. Winter Shield makes it so that you no longer have to worry about their retaliation, making them extremely easy to deal with.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Here's the deal... combining BS1's mechanics and level design with BSI's save system and Vigors is really loving clunky and generally doesn't work. It's one of those interesting in theory sort of things that feels slapdash in practice.

BaS did a poor job at imitating BS1's mechanics. You never had the small amount of ammo in BS1 that you did in BaS. I did a Hard BS1 run a little bit after beating BaS, and I had more ammo at the middle of Medical Pavillion than I had throughout most of BaS.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So now that irrational games is done does that mean we aren't getting burial at sea part 2?

It's still coming out.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Getting the season pass makes Burial at Sea Episode 1 a lot more better because you know you didn't blow $15 for a single 2 hour DLC. :v:

Clash in the Clouds is a good for getting a Bioshock fix while you're waiting for Episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Is there any reason to use lethal firearms in BaS Episode 2 except when you run out of Crossbow ammo and can't get more Crossbow ammo from a vending machine? The Crossbow is ridiculously powerful, completely silent, and you can get ammo back after knocking an enemy out. The lethal firearms are weak pieces of poo poo that alert enemies when fired and it takes forever to scavenge a decent amount of ammo from enemies. The only gun I used throughout most of the game was the Crossbow because it blew the other guns away.

• Locked thread