Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Speedball posted:

I have to ask: what did you fight about?

I wasn't paying enough attention to her, basically. She'd be sitting on her computer, playing WoW, while I was playing 999 and I guess she'd get mad because I wasn't just sitting around waiting for her to pay attention to me. I remember one time she wanted me to watch Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (which I didn't care to see, either way) and she threw a big fit because while she was going to sit and play WoW while we watched it I wasn't allowed to sit and play 999.

Only time I've ever gotten mad enough to throw anything in my life. Popped the game out, threw it one direction across the room and my DS the other and then made her sit down and watch the entire movie with me, no WoW or anything else.

Goddamn, 999 was a good game...

Edit: gently caress me, this story would end up at the top of a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Amazon posted:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Amazon.com.

I've read your email and can confirm that you'll be receiving the bonus item shortly after the release date.

I can confirm that we still expect to ship your order in time to be delivered to you by October 30, 2012 - November 3, 2012.

:woop:

But now the downside is that I have to wait to play it. :sigh:

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I wasn't paying enough attention to her, basically. She'd be sitting on her computer, playing WoW, while I was playing 999 and I guess she'd get mad because I wasn't just sitting around waiting for her to pay attention to me. I remember one time she wanted me to watch Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (which I didn't care to see, either way) and she threw a big fit because while she was going to sit and play WoW while we watched it I wasn't allowed to sit and play 999.

Only time I've ever gotten mad enough to throw anything in my life. Popped the game out, threw it one direction across the room and my DS the other and then made her sit down and watch the entire movie with me, no WoW or anything else.

Hope either you have a new girlfriend or she has mellowed out by now, because with 24 endings that you need to complete to get the True Ending, you could very well kill each other!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

mrfreeze posted:

Hope either you have a new girlfriend or she has mellowed out by now, because with 24 endings that you need to complete to get the True Ending, you could very well kill each other!

That's an E/N post all it's own, but suffice it to say I don't have to worry about fighting with anyone to get the True Ending! Lets me be fully excited for the game, without a hint of apprehension.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I never thought they'd release another run of the watches.

Case in point, watch the package come in and it's just a roll of Zero Escape themed stickers :(

Still, if it's true then I wonder how they managed to get another run in. Maybe a couple of employees put their watches on eBay and made 300 dollars and used that money to make another order.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want to frame this and put it on my wall.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ugh, my gamestop called me saying they had it in today, and it got my hopes up pretty hard but it turns out they sent the wrong message out and it's just a midnight release :negative:

e: Although I'm surprised since I thought gamestop only did midnight releases for big titles.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Pollyanna posted:

I want to frame this and put it on my wall.

It is a story I keep in my heart as a reminder that I can solve my problems without going to E/N. Also that I'm a huge loser nerd, but that's no surprise.

Oh poo poo, Gamestop just called and told me they should have this game in right now. I think I need to take a drive.

Edit:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ugh, my gamestop called me saying they had it in today, and it got my hopes up pretty hard but it turns out they sent the wrong message out and it's just a midnight release :negative:

e: Although I'm surprised since I thought gamestop only did midnight releases for big titles.

poo poo, really? Still, if it's a midnight...gently caress it, I'll make myself stay up.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Its really a midnight release for Medal of Honor, VLR just so happens to come out at the same time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm slightly disappointed Amazon is releasing this on the 24th for some reason. On the other hand, I have one of the watches coming with my pre-order, so whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The sad thing is that you just know there won't be any watches left for the EU/Aus releases :negative:.

I'm a whore sucker for tossed-in freebie stuff and limited editions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The reason for the Nonary Game in 999 was actually pretty well-explained and a surprisingly justified experience once you got all the way through it.

But I don't know if that applies here. I'm going into this blind but I have no freaking idea what the hell the person behind it all could possibly gain from what is (most likely) an unrelated Nonary Game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Speedball posted:

The reason for the Nonary Game in 999 was actually pretty well-explained and a surprisingly justified experience once you got all the way through it.

But I don't know if that applies here. I'm going into this blind but I have no freaking idea what the hell the person behind it all could possibly gain from what is (most likely) an unrelated Nonary Game.

At the beginning of 999 you had no idea what anyone could possibly gain by shoving a bunch of seemingly unrelated people on a boat and making them solve devious puzzles under a time limit.

I'm going in blind, too, but I think it'll probably be justified by the end, just like it was in 999.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just got an email from Amazon saying my expected delivery date for VLR is Friday.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Amazon's selling 999 for $15 right now:

http://www.amazon.com/9-Hours-Persons-Doors-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003VR5PPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=7324342-20&qid=1350933005&sr=8-1&keywords=999

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Just want to chime in and whole-heartedly recommend this game again. Played it several months ago and loved it. I played it on the Vita which has a big gorgeous responsive touch screen and I had absolutely no problem with the controls at all.
Puzzles range from "okay, if I concentrate I can totally rock this" and a bit too obtuse, but hey, that's adventure game logic for ya. Having voice acting is great too.

Just a reminder too that after you get an ending and want to go back to your last roadblock, you can instantly go to that scene and scroll through the text like a madman instead of like 999 where you had to start from the beginning. Also there's a handy in-game story branch screen that can help you keep track of what you've done/what answers you've put in.

There are a ton of endings, lots of secret documents, lots of crazy things to think about, a ton of ridiculous twists, basically get this game. Play 999 first if you haven't. Can't wait to see everyone's impressions, good or bad (and I did have some minor complaints, nothing that really hampered my enjoyment of the experience as a whole though).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Elec posted:

Just a reminder too that after you get an ending and want to go back to your last roadblock, you can instantly go to that scene and scroll through the text like a madman instead of like 999 where you had to start from the beginning. Also there's a handy in-game story branch screen that can help you keep track of what you've done/what answers you've put in.

Wait seriously? None of the press releases I read while writing the OP mentioned this, when as far as I'm concerned this is the most important new feature.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

Elec posted:

Also there's a handy in-game story branch screen that can help you keep track of what you've done/what answers you've put in.

Why doesn't every game that have multiple endings do this? That's awesome!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Goddamn it, despite calling and getting a confirmation that they had it, I waste my time going up there only to be told that they aren't even getting it shipped till the 24th. What a crock of poo poo, I could have gone to bed a few hours ago :negative:.

E: I dunno how true this is but looking around online apparently most stores nationwide got hosed due to a big order hassle from Aksys.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 23, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So what does anyone imagine the voices for the 999 characters would have been like?

I don't have too many notions, myself... but I keep imagining Zero's voice sounding like the voice of the big boss's synth-voice in Police Academy 6: City Under Siege.

....yes that was a real movie.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Snake is Liam O'Brien, don't care about anyone else.

Actually just make everyone Liam O'Brien.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Snake is Liam O'Brien, don't care about anyone else.

Actually just make everyone Liam O'Brien.

...okay, yeah, that totally works.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
So, like a madman, I went to Ebay and scored a 3DS copy of VLS with the watch for $120 or $130, which seemed like a decent deal.

Of course, after the Aksys/Amazon drama earlier today, I wonder if dude is even going to get the watch? I jumped on the new Amazon pre-order, just for shits and giggles. I will get that drat watch, one way or the other.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, if you're going to spend that much on a watch it'd better be so authentic it has the syringes.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Wait seriously? None of the press releases I read while writing the OP mentioned this, when as far as I'm concerned this is the most important new feature.

There are some other mechanics going on with the branching system in this game, but they're pretty much spoilers. One thing to note, though, is that some times you may actually want to go back and reread sections, since with so many branches it's difficult to remember what happened (or didn't happen) in the one you're jumping to.

The puzzle rooms are also designed so they can be pretty much skipped if you've played them before. Here's something the game doesn't communicate very well (at least in the Japanese version): there's an easy mode and a hard mode. The easy mode works like the first game - if you fail a puzzle, the other characters start dropping hints, eventually pretty much spelling out the solution. The hard mode removes those bits of dialogue. In order to see the final, true ending of the game, you need to clear all the puzzle rooms in hard mode. If you played them on easy before, that literally means just jumping to each room and "clearing" it again in about ten seconds, but that's still annoying. I recommend setting the game to hard on the first playthrough.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

Speedball posted:

Man, if you're going to spend that much on a watch it'd better be so authentic it has the syringes.

At $135 total, $40 of that is just for the game itself. That means the watch is $95. That doesn't seem like a bad deal, considering I paid $100 for the 999 watch (from a fellow goon, no less), just a few months after that game premiered.

Yeah, I know, I'm a junkie trying to rationalize my habit.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The Aksys site was giving those watches out for the cost of shipping after 999 released. Just pointing that out.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

Yeah, I checked there first. The watch was no longer in their online store, so I guess I was a little too late. I collect unusual watches, anyway (14 from Tokyoflash, alone), so this isn't totally crazy behavior.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I was really miffed when I didn't get my preorder watch for 999 so I am happy I am able to get this one, at least.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I'm guess I'm an odd one out in that I'm just going to buy this on PSN. I really don't feel the need for a watch I'm never going to use, even if it's a very nice watch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gyre posted:

I'm guess I'm an odd one out in that I'm just going to buy this on PSN. I really don't feel the need for a watch I'm never going to use, even if it's a very nice watch.

I was going to get it on PSN at first, but I decided that since I really liked 999 that I'd get the cart copy just so I could keep it on my shelf.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I was going to get it on PSN at first, but I decided that since I really liked 999 that I'd get the cart copy just so I could keep it on my shelf.

Same here, plus my memory card is starting to get a bit full...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

The Aksys site was giving those watches out for the cost of shipping after 999 released. Just pointing that out.

Yeah but their store only ships within the US :argh:.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Looks like the Amazon watches are gone again. Congrats to those who managed to click the thing fast enough.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I was going to buy the game straight from the shelf tomorrow (well, technically today) but I've decided to wait and to preorder the amazon deal that comes with the free watch. I have no idea why I did this either, I have five days off in a row which starts today and it would have been perfect for playing this game... but the watch was so tempting.

Maybe I should just buy the game from the store anyway and then sell the sealed copy to a fellow goon. I really, really want to play this game as soon as possible. :ohdear: 999 was a great experience, I loved every bit of it, warts and all. I have a good feeling that the sequel will be pretty good, too.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 23, 2012

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I ordered my copy via Play-Asia. The next two weeks of waiting are going to be painful. I just know I'm going to read this thread and spoil myself.

I have both a 3DS and Vita but I am getting the Vita version as it comes out a few weeks before the 3DS one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Doesn't look like this is gonna be available anywhere until tomorrow, at the earliest.

Alas, such is the fate of relatively obscure third party games.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is it weird that I really hated the actual plot in 999, but I loved the way the multiple endings thing was woven in as a plot and gameplay mechanic? Part of me knows I'd probably hate the plot of VLR as well, and yet I still kind of want to buy it just to see what grand fuckery the designers got up to with the branching story in this one.

Since it seems like some people have played the Japanese version, I have a question for you. Major spoilers for 999 follow:
Is VLR like 999 in that the characters will be desperately figuring out how to escape this game where their lives are on the line, and then suddenly decide that they need to spend several minutes talking about completely unrelated poo poo like psychological experiments or ice-9 or whatever?

That was my biggest problem with 999. It seemed like a really hamfisted way to introduce concepts so the plot could bring them up later, considering that a) the ways the characters got onto those topics in conversation were usually really flimsy and b) UH HEY YOU'RE KIND OF IN DANGER OF DYING HERE, THIS IS NOT THE TIME. Is VLR like that too? Because if it is I might want to give this one a pass.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Since it seems like some people have played the Japanese version, I have a question for you. Major spoilers for 999 follow:
Is VLR like 999 in that the characters will be desperately figuring out how to escape this game where their lives are on the line, and then suddenly decide that they need to spend several minutes talking about completely unrelated poo poo like psychological experiments or ice-9 or whatever?

That was my biggest problem with 999. It seemed like a really hamfisted way to introduce concepts so the plot could bring them up later, considering that a) the ways the characters got onto those topics in conversation were usually really flimsy and b) UH HEY YOU'RE KIND OF IN DANGER OF DYING HERE, THIS IS NOT THE TIME. Is VLR like that too? Because if it is I might want to give this one a pass.

There were only a couple places where I felt it was really overly hamfisted, and I seem to recall a couple times when it was split up in a way that felt more natural. Maybe I'm not remembering it well.

Which reminds me, where's a good place to get a quick refresher on the plot of 999? I've got Virtue's Last Reward (my Gamestop is awesome and even called me this morning to tell me it was there, for sure, after I checked on it last night) but it's been a couple years now since 999 and a refresher wouldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I loved the long tangents about seemingly unrelated stuff that became important later. It was so ridiculous, and I just like to think that the characters simply can't help themselves.

Rather than seeing it as hamfisted or bad writing, I thought it was an amusing feature of the world in 999. I hope it continues in VLR.

• Locked thread