Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Is there a good lets play for the first game that i can watch and catch up on the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There is not. Someone was doing one earlier this year, but it was abandoned early on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a few on youtube without any commentary that's just wordlessly playing the game you could look up prolly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Depths posted:

Is there a good lets play for the first game that i can watch and catch up on the story?
Do you have a DS?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Since it seems like some people have played the Japanese version, I have a question for you. Major spoilers for 999 follow:
:words:

Ever17 would have literally thrown you into a murderous rage.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Depths posted:

I wouldn't call it 'good' exactly, but there's at least one on Youtube (that I found) where a guy played through the entire thing with commentary. And by the entire thing, I mean every possible ending. It was the only one I could find that showed them all. The commentary was a bit crap, but that was how I ended up experiencing 999 (don't have a DS and I live in the UK, so I'd have to import).

Other than that, there should be a fair few out there without any commentary, but when you're not playing yourself, I find that to be a bit too boring. Especially if you've played it before.

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?

Gutcruncher posted:

Ever17 would have literally thrown you into a murderous rage.

No kidding. "We're all probably going to die horrible but let's play kick the can and complain about chicken sandwiches." :downs:

It's still a great game though, and I'd totally recommend it to anyone who's looking for something similar to 999.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I can't really blame them in Ever17 for the most part since unlike 999 they were mostly just banking on a rescue team.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah in Ever17 they didn't really have any way to escape, so it was just we are stuck here for 7 days might as well make the best of it. Whereas in 999 it's oh poo poo we have to get out of here in 9 hours or else we are screwed.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Does anyone know if the 3D slider on the 3DS matters at all? I'd assume not, given the Vita doesn't do 3D, but then the opening video does seem to benefit slightly so...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently the 3DS version comes with a Club Nintendo code? That's nice.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Does anyone know if the 3D slider on the 3DS matters at all? I'd assume not, given the Vita doesn't do 3D, but then the opening video does seem to benefit slightly so...

Video playback on 3DS generally doesn't let you change the 3D effect with the slider, only turn it on or off. The in-game, real-time stuff should let you mess with the slider just fine.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Did any stores in Canada get the game? I phoned my EB games and they said that their copies got stopped at the border, the wait for me to play this game is killing me.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

CousinKevin posted:

Did any stores in Canada get the game? I phoned my EB games and they said that their copies got stopped at the border, the wait for me to play this game is killing me.
Same thing on my side of Canada. I think all shipments for Canada got trapped at the customs, even including big cities like Toronto which are in close proximity to the border.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yup, called my EB games and while they didn't tell me what, they said something went wrong with the order. (She said it could take weeks to get resolved, but I feel like she was just playing it safe, can't imagine it being that long.) Honestly tempted to just buy a Vita and download it off the PSN, I was going to buy one in November for P4:G anyways.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

Cake Attack posted:

Yup, called my EB games and while they didn't tell me what, they said something went wrong with the order. (She said it could take weeks to get resolved, but I feel like she was just playing it safe, can't imagine it being that long.) Honestly tempted to just buy a Vita and download it off the PSN, I was going to buy one in November for P4:G anyways.

I'm thinking about caving and just buying it off PSN also, they haven't updated the store yet though so getting kind of worried.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Does anyone know if it's downloadable through the e-shop on the 3DS? I don't have mine handy at the moment so I can't check for myself...

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Apparently the 3DS version comes with a Club Nintendo code? That's nice.

Video playback on 3DS generally doesn't let you change the 3D effect with the slider, only turn it on or off. The in-game, real-time stuff should let you mess with the slider just fine.

Yeah, that's basically it. In-game the 3D effect is pretty nice, though I have already found an instance or two where it'll leave your eyes screaming as they try and figure out what to do. Still, gives a little nice depth to things.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I went in today to my local Gamestop to pick up my reserved copy of VLR. I pre-order the 3DS version. They only had the Vita. They called the other store in the area and they only had Vita copies too. I took the Vita copy since I have a Vita but before I opened it, I call the customer support line.

There are no 3DS copies at any Gamestop within a 100 mile radius of me. Rather then flipping out, I just decided to keep the Vita version and do what orenronen did and just start taking notes on pen and paper since the memo system is crap on the Vita. I could under stand maybe on or two possible even 3 Gamestops not get a certain version of VLR but the guy was blaming the store's order person for there not being any. I don't think it was the stores fault that there are no new copies of the 3DS VLR at most Colorado stores.

tl;dr: Gamestop corporate screwed over Colorado 3DS players by not sending any 3DS copies to any physical store.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

mateo360 posted:

tl;dr: Gamestop corporate screwed over Colorado 3DS players by not sending any 3DS copies to any physical store.

I'm actually in Colorado (Grand Junction) and had zero issue getting my 3DS copy of the game. Went to check last night while I was out, didn't have it, the manager promised to call me in the morning to let me know if they got it or not and he did. Popped down and picked it up, no problem.

Now, he did say their system was displaying it weird. Maybe one of the other stores got a 3DS copy or two and didn't notice as a result?

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

Does anyone know if it's downloadable through the e-shop on the 3DS? I don't have mine handy at the moment so I can't check for myself...

Not downloadable through the eShop, but for people that have a Vita, the game just got put up on the PSN store!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I recommend everyone who got hosed try the Gamestop store locator, none of my local shops had it in but one about 10 miles away had a few copies so I just drove up and got one. :toot:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I recommend everyone who got hosed try the Gamestop store locator, none of my local shops had it in but one about 10 miles away had a few copies so I just drove up and got one. :toot:

The store locator for me also said none within a 100 mile radius.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Got it in my hands. Had to use the Gamestop store locator myself. Whoof.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CousinKevin posted:

Nope. Nobody got it in. The whole shipment is halted. You can't get the game at an EB, anywhere in Canada. Non specialty retailers probably didn't order any to begin with. So, we're boned.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
poo poo, Amazon says my 3DS copy of this is supposed to arrive on Friday, but I just realized it's on PSN and I want to play it now and if I downloaded it I could be playing within the hour and I'm going to buy two copies of this game, aren't I?

I'm so bad with money. :negative:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man, the 3D is really bad looking, not that it really matters but it's a shame.

Being able to draw notes and have them appear on the top screen during puzzles sure loving makes up for it though.

E: My only major complaint so far though is that the models change poses without any animation, just like a "snap" as if it were a sprite, which is odd since a few of the animations do it but most don't.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 24, 2012

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

DarkHamsterlord posted:

poo poo, Amazon says my 3DS copy of this is supposed to arrive on Friday, but I just realized it's on PSN and I want to play it now and if I downloaded it I could be playing within the hour and I'm going to buy two copies of this game, aren't I?

I'm so bad with money. :negative:

You could just cancel your Amazon order?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

astr0man posted:

You could just cancel your Amazon order?

But I have to have that watch I'll never wear!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The chick who voices Zero III in the dub does an amazing job, prolly the best out of the cast in my opinion. So much energy, it's pretty much perfect.

Also a question for the people who played the JP release. (999 spoilers) Is there a "dummy" ending in this? like can you accidentally do everything needed for the true ending but since you don't have all the other endings the game just gives you a stupid TO BE CONTINUED thing like with 999? I really hope not but just curious if I should avoid something to prevent getting it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The chick who voices Zero III in the dub does an amazing job, prolly the best out of the cast in my opinion. So much energy, it's pretty much perfect.

Also a question for the people who played the JP release. (999 spoilers) Is there a "dummy" ending in this? like can you accidentally do everything needed for the true ending but since you don't have all the other endings the game just gives you a stupid TO BE CONTINUED thing like with 999? I really hope not but just curious if I should avoid something to prevent getting it.

I think it's been mentioned that you have to get all the other endings before you can get the true one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Azubah posted:

I think it's been mentioned that you have to get all the other endings before you can get the true one.

Well yeah, but that's how 999 technically worked too which is why I was double checking. Unless that's what they meant :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well yeah, but that's how 999 technically worked too which is why I was double checking. Unless that's what they meant :v:

No it isn't. You could theoretically get the true ending in only 2 playthroughs.

Of course I think it's much more fun to go through all the bad endings first.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

No it isn't. You could theoretically get the true ending in only 2 playthroughs.

Of course I think it's much more fun to go through all the bad endings first.

Ah, you're right. I got all the other endings before so I had forgotten, my bad.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Welp, just ran into a pretty bad bug. Did part of a puzzle and now I can't switch my my item out, or interact with any of the bottoms on the bottom screen (even via button shortcuts) however I can still look around the room so I know my touch screen didn't spontaneously die. Of course this means I can't just save and reload to try to fix it. Augh.

E: I had to redo the first part of the room but thankfully it let me actually do poo poo the second time, so just to everyone I'd recommend saving after every puzzle step as tedious as it seems so you don't get smacked like I did, the game doesn't let you skip steps (codes wont work until you know the answer in universe, for example)

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 24, 2012

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Did anyone go the Sigma, Phi, and Alice route? I'm completely stuck on the puzzle, I got the file password, but can't figure out for life of me the escape password

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CousinKevin posted:

Did anyone go the Sigma, Phi, and Alice route? I'm completely stuck on the puzzle, I got the file password, but can't figure out for life of me the escape password

I'm in the same boat actually, I have no loving clue what to do and I've been entering every number I can think of.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just messing around with the system now. I like that you unlock files for doing extra-well on puzzle rooms; should keep things quite fresh.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm in the same boat actually, I have no loving clue what to do and I've been entering every number I can think of.

Of course the second I post, I find out the answer. First tag I attempt to explain how to get it, second tag is just straight up answer

Match up the rips on the bed, to the numbers on the pin-up girl's body, once you do that, input the numbers in the first locker, based on the rips in room order 2, 4, 1, 3. That makes no sense, so if you want the answer is in tag below

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CousinKevin posted:

Of course the second I post, I find out the answer. First tag I attempt to explain how to get it, second tag is just straight up answer

Match up the rips on the bed, to the numbers on the pin-up girl's body, once you do that, input the numbers in the first locker, based on the rips in room order 2, 4, 1, 3. That makes no sense, so if you want the answer is in tag below

Augh,Since I was forced to redo the room I completely ignored the beds so they didn't even register for me. Thanks a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I should stop reading this thread because there's no way I make it to Friday without spoiling myself :ohdear:

• Locked thread