Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

I suspect this is because you are inside of Metro when you click the link. It probably sucks on the desktop but on the flip-side how annoyed would you be on a tablet if you were in metro and it took you to the desktop? Or it could ask you every time which would also be annoying. Can't win 'em all, why not just use a desktop twitter client if you want to be on the desktop? I imagine some of these growing pains will go away once things settle with additional options or something, we'll see.

Makes sense, oh well :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Skeezy posted:

Makes sense, oh well :(

It's a bad workaround but there is the link to take you to desktop IE you can click every time.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Kazy posted:

:stare: Yeah, let's not do anymore 7-paragraphs-about-anime derails.

The dev of IRC Explorer was super quick to respond to my inquiry about URL links, and they said it should be in the next update that should hit on Friday :toot:

That is pretty sweet. Does this app work with IRC bouncers (znc, etc)? I was too lazy to try this weekend, but I guess I may not have been able to.

I'm hoping to have an app to release in the next month or two, hopefully for x86 and ARM based Win8 systems. Good to hear that people are buying them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Skeezy posted:

Is there really no way to force MetroTwit to use the desktop version of Chrome? Does it have to use the Metro one?

Try

Charms -> Set Default Programs -> Chrome -> Choose Defaults For This Programs -> then set it to default .HTML

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ufarn posted:

Has anyone created a Something Awful tile to be used as a website shortcut yet? Just the grenade with the trademark dark blue background or something.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is there any way to get OblyTile to make a tile that will open things in Metro Chrome? I've got this on my start screen but it only opens in the desktop.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I can't figure out how to force ANYTHING into metro chrome.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Aatrek posted:

I can't figure out how to force ANYTHING into metro chrome.

http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches

--force-immersive (but this isn't working for me after working one time).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You can make website shortcuts for the Start screen? May I ask as to how?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Skeezy posted:

Is there really no way to force MetroTwit to use the desktop version of Chrome? Does it have to use the Metro one?

There is an option in IE, to open items from other metro apps into desktop IE. Is that setting not there for chrome?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Rawrbomb posted:

There is an option in IE, to open items from other metro apps into desktop IE. Is that setting not there for chrome?

It is, you can hit the Settings key, and there should be an option to Pin to Start Screen

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can make website shortcuts for the Start screen? May I ask as to how?

Or by using that custom tile tool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Or by using that custom tile tool.

Hmm, I need to play with that more then.

Thanks!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Not being able to save or open images in a desktop browser from the metro apps is driving me crazy. They should add a "save image" button to the right click options in metro apps. :(

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ufarn posted:

Has anyone created a Something Awful tile to be used as a website shortcut yet? Just the grenade with the trademark dark blue background or something.

Well, as I wrote in the other Windows 8 thread, I'm still working on a forum viewer.

( Screenshots taken on a MS Surface :3: , also the icon is a placeholder while I work on my own. )

There's still a long way to go, but it's getting there. Hopefully it will be more useful than just a link.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Official win8 twitter app coming:

https://twitter.com/twittermobile/statuses/263300626421805057?tw_i=263300626421805057&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

"In the following months" :what:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

keyframe posted:

"In the following months" :what:

Obviously they were waiting to see if it crashed and burned before investing any effort into it. Can't blame them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a way to get the default News app back? I uninstalled it and can't seem to find it in the store.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there a way to get the default News app back? I uninstalled it and can't seem to find it in the store.

Try this: News (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/eaaf2ce3-d5a3-4a59-ae31-276fbc44a7cd)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks! Are all of MS's apps on that site? Apparently they're not in the store because I went through every part of the News section (and even searched 'News') and still didn't find it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks! Are all of MS's apps on that site? Apparently they're not in the store because I went through every part of the News section (and even searched 'News') and still didn't find it.

They should all be available in the store. Can't say why you had problems finding them.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think they are all on the store. If you have trouble finding them you can go to the "My apps" section and there is a drop down box for apps that aren't installed on your Surface.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

tk posted:

They should all be available in the store. Can't say why you had problems finding them.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I think they are all on the store. If you have trouble finding them you can go to the "My apps" section and there is a drop down box for apps that aren't installed on your Surface.

Yeah, it's a pretty odd problem but I didn't know about the menu.

Thanks!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Paypal, Dropbox, Disney, Lego and ESPN apps coming soon.

quote:

Microsoft's build developer conference has kicked off in Seattle today, and the company is using it to showcase some new Windows 8 apps. PayPal will supply an API for Windows 8 developers that allows them to use the PayPal payment system within any Windows Store app. Microsoft also announced a new Dropbox app for Windows 8 that is simply "coming soon."

A new ESPN app will aggregate scores and video alongside photo galleries and podcasts with pin support for Windows 8's new Start screen. Microsoft is also demonstrating new apps from Disney and Lego which are due in the Windows Store soon.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3576538/windows-8-paypal-dropbox-espn-apps

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 30, 2012

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
If the ESPN app ends up being even marginally decent I think we can say WinRT is the greatest development platform of all time. I've already said this once today but that company seriously sucks at software.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
I like the pace at which devs, including Microsoft, seem to be updating and keeping up with apps.

On the other hand...the news app will not launch for me tonight. Just goes to the full screen red logo with twirling dots and never ever goes further. What gives? Is it just mine? Is it hosted under the hurricane or something?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

chedemefedeme posted:

On the other hand...the news app will not launch for me tonight. Just goes to the full screen red logo with twirling dots and never ever goes further. What gives? Is it just mine? Is it hosted under the hurricane or something?

It's just you.

Try reinstalling it.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Well that was weird. I did just that and it works now. On a Ms surface. Hardly used it today and it just..murdered an app?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

boooo, I was loving the chrome app 'cause I could keep my internet off my main workspace (desktop) and it was a big productivity booster... until I discovered I couldn't stream music in the chrome app and have it play while I'm in the desktop?

anyone know how to rig it up to do that?? google told me nothing :(

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So I just realized big picture app has a nice right click > save as option for the pictures, why cant other apps have the same thing? :smith:

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

Guitarchitect posted:

boooo, I was loving the chrome app 'cause I could keep my internet off my main workspace (desktop) and it was a big productivity booster... until I discovered I couldn't stream music in the chrome app and have it play while I'm in the desktop?

May not be ideal, but could you snap it and use the Desktop in a slightly smaller space?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'd like to recommend PDF Touch as a great metro PDF reader. Its quick and got annotations, highlighting, boxes and freehand drawing.

I'll throw in Pepper Plate as well, it's a food planning app that lets you enter recipes (or cut and paste them in) then you can add these to menus or shopping lists where it automatically combines ingredients into a neatly organised list.

They're both pretty great.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 31, 2012

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Guitarchitect posted:

Use Xbox Music in the Music app instead.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Guitarchitect posted:

Try running the Chrome desktop app instead, and then click the minimize button.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there a way to get the Win 8 calendar to send entered events to the google calendar it syncs with?

\/:doh: - cheers

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 31, 2012

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Kerbtree posted:

Is there a way to get the Win 8 calendar to send entered events to the google calendar it syncs with?

If I'm understanding you correctly: on the "create event" page, the very top item is a drop down list of available calendars. Just change that to your Google account.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Werthog posted:

Try running the Chrome desktop app instead, and then click the minimize button.

no kidding! haha - the whole great thing about the metro app is it keeps me away from the temptation of the internet so I can focus on working. i think i'll just nix listening to live performances on youtube for a while! :)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Kazy posted:

TuneIn Radio
Radio for your tablet and/or PC! I've used TuneIn a couple of times, it supports background music and has a ton of radio stations.

Is there a way to adjust how loud the music is in the background with this app? I can't seem to find a way and the volume in the background is way too quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
There seems to be a lot of competition in the Google Reader space, which is A-ok with me. Nextgen Reader (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/30648d7a-f0b5-4719-8ca9-7ed6ce3b4b9b) just went up and it seems rather nice so far. It says it has both a touch and classic view, but the classic view, so far, has been nice on my Surface.

• Locked thread