Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hubris.height posted:

the end of that really sells the entire thing

Yeah whenever I'm playing Skyrim the only thing I think after a tough fight is "wow I could really go for a gallon of cum right now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah whenever I'm playing Skyrim the only thing I think after a tough fight is "wow I could really go for a gallon of cum right now."

Join the club, buddy :wink:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Because the thing I know I think of when I think of redguards is Forsworn armor and Dibella

Yeah, me too, what do you know! But I guess we're just ungrateful hater's.

quote:

Most people on here, are just ungrateful hater's. I'm done giving out to the community, this is a big project, but I announce now, that I will not release RGX - The Redguard Expansion to the public, only to a few close friends in a private download link online, sorry for any inconvenience, I'm leaving the public modding scene for a while, maybe I'll go public, but for now, I'll just keep this hidden gem for myself, and few close friend's of mine. I don't want to give such an extensive mod for free, when most people are ignorant, and don't deserve it.

What a loving ego on this one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midnight Voyager posted:

You just know the poo poo'll hit the fan anyway because a "friend" will release it instead.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Have modders always been like this? I didn't even know about mods back in the morrowind days so I have no clue if they just got dumber or if it's always been like this.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nuebot posted:

Have modders always been like this? I didn't even know about mods back in the morrowind days so I have no clue if they just got dumber or if it's always been like this.

Primadonnas have been a thing since opera, the internet just amplifies their whiny voices a millionfold

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Primadonnas have been a thing since opera, the internet just amplifies their whiny voices a millionfold

My favourite's still the Space Engineers modder who threw a multi-month-long shitfit and tirade because his precious Shields mod didn't work anymore due to Keen Space House patching out the glitch he exploited to make them work and how the developers were out to kill mods that didn't do things the developers wanted in the game. Even with one or two of the developers themselves explaining to him directly why the code was changed, and that Space Engineers is still very much in Alpha/Early-Access.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite's still the Space Engineers modder who threw a multi-month-long shitfit and tirade because his precious Shields mod didn't work anymore due to Keen Space House patching out the glitch he exploited to make them work and how the developers were out to kill mods that didn't do things the developers wanted in the game. Even with one or two of the developers themselves explaining to him directly why the code was changed, and that Space Engineers is still very much in Alpha/Early-Access.

We really need some kind of super nerd to document all this and have a modder meltdown wiki or something. I love reading these things so very much. The guy who made that half life two mod for the paid mods thing got into a few arguments on the skyrim forums when people called his mod unoriginal. It was amazing.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
yeah, the main diffs are that more people are able to get into modding, and it's easier to publicize your tantrums

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Many hundreds of years ago; Renaissance painter Charles Arthmoor III is throwing a tantrum after finding out another artist has opened a business removing the butt-ugly arches from all his paintings.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Forget opera, Michelangelo painted a guy that he hated in the Sistene Chapel. He painted him as being in Hell with a snake biting his balls.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dante happened to namedrop a few of his enemies in inferno. People have been doing this for centuries.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's like the cock and loving-based graffiti in Pompeii. Everything seems classier when in Latin, fresco painting or iambic pentameter.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nuebot posted:

There have always been people with gigantic egos who throw a shitfit on the Internet at the slightest, imagined provocation.
The Nexus' community is really bad at telling these people to grow up, chill out and have a good time instead of blowing a fuse. Somewhat understandable since the Nexus' business model is wholly dependent on sucking the cock of modders so they'll upload their mods there.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

LoonShia posted:

It's like the cock and loving-based graffiti in Pompeii. Everything seems classier when in Latin, fresco painting or iambic pentameter.

I wonder why nobody has imported that into Skyrim. Schlong Graffiti in the dungeons would really improve my immersion!

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

If you want to see minecraft modding primadonnas in action, visit this reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3d36if/a_discussion_on_mod_distribution_policies/
Several precious flowers in there like:

quote:

All my mods are licensed under the All Rights Reserved license. Pack authors have to ask me before they start distributing my mods. I want control. I want to know that pack X is owned by pack author Y. In some cases, I will not grant pack permissions due to extreme issues with the pack and/or the pack author. If a pack author sends me a death threat, I'm not gonna let him benefit from my work. Sure, I could enforce this with a notification policy, but imagine the drama if X pack author went on Twitter "CoolSquid refused to give me perms, now I may as well delete all my carefully made configs. gently caress HIM!". It's better to do it before than after. In addition, I want people to use the Curse client, therefore other platforms get more restrictive rules. Also, I love getting PMs thanking me for the mods and nicely asking for perms. It's a nice incentive.

It disappoints me when people start bitching in my threads or send me angry PMs about my policies. I share my mods, for free, and I even grant people permission to distribute them under certain rules. People should be more thankful respectful instead of constantly attacking me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hahaha, looks like this mod was taken down! Wonder why.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Bernardo Orel posted:

If you want to see minecraft modding primadonnas in action, visit this reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3d36if/a_discussion_on_mod_distribution_policies/
Several precious flowers in there like:

Minecraft is the best for modder meltdowns. Probably because there's money involved and the average Minecraft player is 13.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azzents posted:

Minecraft is the best for modder meltdowns. Probably because there's money involved and the average Minecraft player is 13.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a huge percentage of Minecraft players are autistic. It seems to have all the factors needed to be very appealing to autistic people, especially young ones. Which means that the modding scene is a minefield.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

chitoryu12 posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a huge percentage of Minecraft players are autistic. It seems to have all the factors needed to be very appealing to autistic people, especially young ones. Which means that the modding scene is a minefield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l8sroTeQ84&t=25s

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man that thumbnail pic already tells a lot

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Remove the last sentence and replace Minecraft with trains.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Removes the last sentence and replace Minecraft with trains.

Pretty sure the trainspotting scene is a minefield as well. I just never see their fights.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
cum is healthier thank milk

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hubris.height posted:

cum is healthier thank milk

please do not reveal the gay beauty secret of cum and excercise

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty sure the trainspotting scene is a minefield as well. I just never see their fights.
[img - bloodstained anorak stuffed in a trashcan on a rainy night]

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Azzents posted:

Minecraft mod drama is amazing over their like 0.005 cents a click or whatever. Especially when people started getting viruses from the adfly links and people still refused to stop using it.

EDIT:
Jesus I'm blown away that they let modders get away with this.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 16, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kikas posted:

I wonder why nobody has imported that into Skyrim. Schlong Graffiti in the dungeons would really improve my immersion!

mer eunt domus!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is all I can think of.
http://i.imgur.com/ISIGdL6.jpg:nws:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Mojang has been incredibly lax about letting these babies do whatever EULA-violating baby poo poo they want, but awhile ago they noticed that some servers were charging people for basic privileges (pay this server some cash and you get godmode on the server, etc) and when they rightfully shut that down these people went berserk. If I remember right that event was one of the biggest things that contributed to minecraft's original developer leaving the company.

I don't know how much overlap there is between those people and whiny modders but there's got to be some, considering that they both enjoy monetizing a game that they do not own.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Mojang has been incredibly lax about letting these babies do whatever EULA-violating baby poo poo they want, but awhile ago they noticed that servers were charging people for basic privileges (pay this server some cash and you get godmode on the server, etc) and when they rightfully shut that down these people went berserk. If I remember right that event was one of the biggest things that contributed to minecraft's original developer leaving the company.

The 2.5 billion dollars from Microsoft probably had at least a little to do with that as well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This is kind of why I really don't want them to implement paid mods in Elderscrolls, because I actually like those games and they current no profit thing seems to be the only thing keeping those kinds of modders out.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sleeveless posted:

The 2.5 billion dollars from Microsoft probably had at least a little to do with that as well.

I'd bet that Notch was probably planning on holding out a little bit longer for Microsoft to cave in, Minecraft did mad bank on the 360 after all.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If I remember right that event was one of the biggest things that contributed to minecraft's original developer leaving the company.

While it certainly left him disliking the community, the main reason he left is that he doesn't fit in with an actual company. What he wants to do is sit and tinker and then abandon the project when he gets bored; the entire reason he made Mojang the company was to be able to dump Minecraft off on someone else. On the other hand the reason why Microsoft is that he thinks Microsoft will kill Minecraft and he dislikes the community because they're a bunch of little shits, and can't really blame him there, even though the complete pandering beforehand on his part and Mojang's is why they are shits

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63276/

Update on the Redguard guy, I realized he only took up the new one. See, this rear end in a top hat has put up every update (and multiple trailers) as new files. It looks like he or a Nexus mod took down the "new update". But the old version still has part of the meltdown added to the top!

EDIT: OH WAIT, look what I found in his comments section!

quote:

I don't think you're being reasonable. It's early in development and hasn't even had 3000 downloads. Of COURSE you aren't getting much appreciation or recognition, very few people know about it yet! I see little evidence of this hate you're talking about, and while I'm sure there have been plenty of complaints from people who don't appreciate the hard work that goes into this kind of project, well, that's the mod-maker's curse. And it seems from different comment sections I've looked at that well known mods attract far less negative attention proportionally than lesser-known ones. You would allow the remarks of detractors to spoil for the masses your evidently lovingly crafted creations? I can see where you're coming from, it's just a damned shame. I and I imagine a lot of people were really looking forward to this one. I only found this one two weeks ago, but I'd been checking in more or less daily to see if it was out yet. It's really too bad. I implore you to at least take these two bits of advice. 1) Leave this up as is. It may yet attract more positive attention. 2) Seriously, put it in the New Lands category. There are only 5 pages there, while Quests and Adventures has 18. It's just a matter of maths.

quote:

Wow, that was actually really good speech. Anyway thanks guys really appreciate the comment, I don't know what I was thinking last night. I can't let nothing get to me, on this project. I decided to release it to the public, but only for the nexus.

All he needed was someone to suck his dick and he's back!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 16, 2015

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

EDIT:

Ah, that's not so bad. If you pay them some money, occasionally a gun will drop with your name on it, but it won't perform any better or shoot faster or spawn more often or regenerate ammo faster or anything concrete, it's just a little nod.

This was always Mojang's policy--you can thank donors with purely cosmetic rewards, but no gameplay advantages. They used to turn a blind eye to people selling gameplay advantages too, but I guess they got one too many emails reading, "My son spent 250 dollars on my credit card for god mode on one of your servers, please reverse the charge because he didn't have permission to do that."

e: vvvv Ah, right you are. Although I don't understand why they're so worried about people manually spawning guns with someone else's name on them.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 16, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Ah, that's not so bad. If you pay them some money, occasionally a gun will drop with your name on it, but it won't perform any better or shoot faster or spawn more often or regenerate ammo faster or anything concrete, it's just a little nod.

This was always Mojang's policy--you can thank donors with purely cosmetic rewards, but no gameplay advantages. They used to turn a blind eye to people selling gameplay advantages too, but I guess they got one too many emails reading, "My son spent 250 dollars on my credit card for god mode on one of your servers, please reverse the charge because he didn't have permission to do that."
The fact that they have a terms of service that protects the modder's right to put donator content in their mod and that it violates the mod maker's rights if you edit it is the part that is wrong

If I download the mod I can do whatever the hell I want to it and put it in my modpack compilation if I want (or rather, I should be able to), he has no rights, it's a mod for a video game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 16, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

To take it to a silly hyperbolic extreme, cosmetic things like that seem harmless sure. But it doesn't take much more to start charging "donations" for more features and then mods become micro-transaction DLC.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Nuebot posted:

To take it to a silly hyperbolic extreme, cosmetic things like that seem harmless sure. But it doesn't take much more to start charging "donations" for more features and then mods become micro-transaction DLC.

Minecraft modders were/are already doing that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I will never forgive Minecraft modders for making Ad.Fly links popular :argh:

Speaking of creepy Minecraft modders, right before I stopped playing the game forever (because of the utterly toxic mod scene, also the vanilla game is boring and tedious) there was a modder who embodied everything bad about mods all rolled into one - aspergers, ego and idiocy.

And petulence. And creepiness. And so very much more.

He brought out a mod with a tonne of really good ideas, things from working windmills to different types of cloth and materials. Really cool stuff which expanded the game a huge amount.

However, this modder also had a serious hard-on for torturing animals, especially dogs. For example, to make a certain dye you might have to tame a wolf, feed it, care for it and then toss it into a lit oven while it was still alive. Or cut it into pieces, burn the pieces to ash and then use the ash to forge one of the new materials.

Or skin it and use the skin as sails for the windmills. Just endless horrible poo poo like that. It's been so long I can't remember the details, and I really don't want to.

But he was naturally called out on his poo poo and pitched such a fit over people being offended by the idea of torturing animals in the game that he had a huge meltdown and deleted every mod he had ever made. Killing and torturing animals was "essential" to the mod and he refused to even allow anyone to re-release it with all the nascent serial killer stuff removed.

Never been so glad to put a game behind me.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 16, 2015

• Locked thread