Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

So apparently, completely out of the blue to me, Disney has acquired Lucasfilm and it includes the rights to Star Wars ... and they're planning new episodes.

quote:

Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George Lucas’ Lucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise. The companies have also targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7. The stock and cash transaction is worth an estimated $4.05 billion. MORE TO COME

Holy crap. That's huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Okay, this is the thread to whine about Episode 7.

Here's the Disney link of officialness
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
Doesn't whining about Episode 7 seem premature? It seems that separating Lucas from the Star Wars franchise is just about the best possible thing that could happen to it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:stare:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'll be able to see A New Hope remade in my lifetime. :unsmigghh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Lucas isn't directing it then it can only be better.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Dear god, Star Wars isn't a played-out franchise by now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uh, well, I have to say I didn't see that coming.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
gently caress Star Wars, where's my Captain EO 2?

Wait? Huh- oh, three years ago? Really? drat.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Lucas is only going to be a "creative consultant"? YESSSSS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think it really depends on what they mean by "Episode 7."

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Blitz7x posted:

Okay, I'm on board.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
WHAT. THE. gently caress.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
If this means someone actually talented gets a crack at Star Wars then I guess its good news. It would be awesome if they let some no name person direct it and it blows the prequels out of the water.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I didn't see this coming at all, and I thought it was a hoax at first.

I just hope they'll base it on one of the good EU properties.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is certainly crazy and out of left field. Doesn't Disney own Marvel too?

Star Wars/Marvel crossover confirmed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'll believe Lucas will be pushed out when I see it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Harlock posted:

This is certainly crazy and out of left field. Doesn't Disney own Marvel too?

Star Wars/Marvel crossover confirmed.

The first response I heard to this when it broke was "the next Kingdom Hearts is gonna be hosed up".

This seems like it could be the best thing if they take a somewhat hands-off, creators-in-the-sandbox Marvel approach.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
If this gets us an HD re-release of the original A New Hope with no alterations, then Disney will forever be the greatest company in the world of film.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I always thought the original plan was to have a prequel trilogy and a sequel trilogy, were there ever any first drafts or anything of this?

Hopefully RLM has a reaction video to this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As a HUGE fan of Star Wars gently caress this terrible franchise, why can't it just die

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Blitz7x posted:

This is the reason I support this.

Get the gently caress away from Star Wars, Lucas.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Lucas said in the official release that he wanted to give the franchise over to new filmmakers in his lifetime. I guess he went with Disney because Kathleen Kennedy has worked with Spielberg on everything, including Indiana Jones, and he trusts her.

Gotta say, if they actually get a great director on board for Ep 7, this could really be amazing. Not to mention no actual veto power on Lucas' part.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
This is nuts.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
So basically anyone will be better than Lucas at directing, but who do we WANT to see get the job? They must have a short-list already if they're releasing in 2015.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I really hope this means Coppola was right about him wanting to make smaller personal films once he was done with Star Wars.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

gameday posted:

So basically anyone will be better than Lucas at directing, but who do we WANT to see get the job? They must have a short-list already if they're releasing in 2015.

Nicolas Winding Refn. We'll finally get the Kyle Katarn movie we always wanted.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

If Lucas isn't directing it then it can only be better.

I can't empty quote this enough.

Starwars without George Lucas writing or directing is an automatic improvement over the prequel trilogy.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

zenguitarman posted:

I always thought the original plan was to have a prequel trilogy and a sequel trilogy, were there ever any first drafts or anything of this?

There were first drafts of the prequels, and they ended up being filmed.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Star Wars universe in the hands of people who know how to tell a story could be amazing. Just look at Empire Strikes Back.

zenguitarman posted:

All those times Lucas said poo poo was "already written" were lies. Every single one.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If they're continuing with 7, does this mean we get to see bloated old jedi master Luke training the next generation of hip current stars like Zach Effron or something?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/investors/events

Webcast to explain the whole thing. Starts in 1 minute. If it's not obvious click the blue link for the webcast.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jefferoo posted:

If this gets us an HD re-release of the original A New Hope with no alterations, then Disney will forever be the greatest company in the world of film.

Disney will almost certainly know there is tons of money in this. Weren't the Disney classics on limited DVD release for years to keep the price high or did I imagine that?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

"Our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

Oh boy! :regd08:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Hey Disney, I hear reboots are all the rage these days. :haw:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hell Diver posted:

If they're continuing with 7, does this mean we get to see bloated old jedi master Luke training the next generation of hip current stars like Zach Effron or something?

Tron Legacy but with Star Wars would unironically own.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy christ, this is huge. Just saw the news reported on Facebook from a local radio station.

I wonder where they'll go, I always thought the Thrawn trilogy would be nice to see on the big screen.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

love how I'm reading this USAToday story:http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/30/disney-star-wars-lucasfilm/1669739/

and the last line is like: oh yeah btw "The latest part of the Star Wars saga, Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for a 2015 release."

WHAT THE gently caress!!!!! Needless to say I am excited. This is pretty big news.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I guess you could actually have the original cast in this, but should they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Scott Bakula posted:

Disney will almost certainly know there is tons of money in this. Weren't the Disney classics on limited DVD release for years to keep the price high or did I imagine that?

They still are.

• Locked thread