Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know what? gently caress Star Wars. Where's my Willow sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

E the Shaggy posted:

I guess you could actually have the original cast in this, but should they?

Mark Hamill is the only cast member who doesn't loving hate the franchise.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Use the Thrawn Trilogy as the script, rake in millions

skip to the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, using the original cast :unsmigghh:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I know Jar Jar Binks because I banged his neighbor a whole bunch when I lived in LA, so this conference call is high priority for me, obviously.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

People on Facebook are going insane over this, but I literally do not see a downside here.

- The sequels were going to get made anyway because Lucas loves money
- He's agreed to let others get a swing at them now
- Even if he's lying, he will now be making the movies with responsibility to someone instead of as the lord and ruler of his own studio full of yes men

I'm actually excited about Star Wars for the first time since... I can't even remember when.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

WTF NEW STAR WARS FILM EVERY 2-3 YEARS?!??! EPISODES 8 and 9???

its becoming james bond jesus

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mark Hamill is the only cast member who doesn't loving hate the franchise.

Even he doesn't seem that interested in doing anything more with it though, considering when they were making games with Luke (like Jedi Knight 2) he wouldn't voice him.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Disney wanting to milk this for all this worth in every way humanly possible, so this is going to turn into hot garbage sooner than later.

quote:

Even he doesn't seem that interested in doing anything more with it though, considering when they were making games with Luke (like Jedi Knight 2) he wouldn't voice him.

Why would Mark wanna betray the long running, historic Wing Commander franchise?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:laugh: "going to."

Unless I misunderstand the corporate structure there, wouldn't this have big implications for Lucasarts too? Monkey Island movie, anyone? It would be a way for them to make more Pirates of the Carribean movies without having to pay those Jonny Depp dollars.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2012

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm also gonna bet the check they wave in front of his face to come back for an episode 7 is probably a bit larger than a computer game payday.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Jefferoo posted:

Disney wanting to milk this for all this worth in every way humanly possible, so this is going to turn into hot garbage sooner than later.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yep, they get Indiana Jones too, just heard it on the stream.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

At least if it's terrible we'll have a new Plinkett video to look forward to.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Cross-Section posted:

Shia tapped for new Jones trilogy.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

I'm just wondering when they're going to announce that long-awaited Radioland Murders sequel

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Cameo posted:

I'm just wondering when they're going to announce that long-awaited Radioland Murders sequel

Tucker: The Man and His Dream 2

Possibly a Tron crossover??

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Jefferoo posted:

Shia tapped for new Jones trilogy.

OH PLEASE GOD NO.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

oh god 3D. gently caress that poo poo.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
This is a great new opportunity for more Red Tails films, tv shows, and MMORPGS.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Bleh, a Star Wars movie without FOX in the opening just isn't the same.

Seriously though, love him or hate him, a theatrical live action Star Wars movie which wasn't written by Lucas just seems wrong.

As far as "Episode 7", I'd rather they just go off in another direction and not make it tied to the Vader/Luke saga. Play around in the universe all you want, but don't make it a "Part 7" and I'm fine with it. Forcing a "Part 7" is just an even more blatant money grab.

Unless they get some uber fan to handle Episode 7, it would surely kill the EU. The Clone Wars series is already making a mess of the EU, another live action movie would surely kill it for sure if it's set after RotJ.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 30, 2012

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

This is very exciting news. Would Episode 7 be based on the books? How far in time would it be? Would we see Luke, Leia and Han Solo or would we see their kids? It's going to be exciting to see Jedi and Sith Lords again.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Teek posted:

Seriously though, love him or hate him, a theatrical live action Star Wars movie which wasn't written by Lucas just seems wrong.

Why? Did you not see the prequels?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teek posted:

Bleh, a Star Wars movie without FOX in the opening just isn't the same.

This is Star Wars, stop kidding yourself. Nothing is sacred with this franchise.

Indiana Jones animated series, please.

L_E_E posted:

This is very exciting news. Would Episode 7 be based on the books?

Hahaha.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Q&A session now, sweeeet.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Teek posted:

He didn't write Empire or Jedi, so...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

iSheep posted:

Why? Did you not see the prequels?

Regardless of their quality, they at least had the Lucas lineage to have some sort of legitimate legacy together.

zenintrude posted:

He didn't write Empire or Jedi, so...

The official screenplay? No. The original stories and outlines? Yes.

This is Lucas turning it over to someone else, it doesn't sound like he'll have any part. There's obviously been history of that since ANH came out with the EU media, my current hesitation is about a live action movie "follow up". And that's only in regards to something focusing on Luke and company. If Lucas doesn't have any input, I'd rather they no go there. If this is a new cast of characters, I'm fine with it.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 30, 2012

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
P.S. an Alfonso Cuarón directed Star Wars film would be the greatest thing ever.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Give me Tony Stark digging for nazi gold

in space

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Teek posted:

Unless they get some uber fan to handle Episode 7, it would surely kill the EU.

You say this like its a bad thing.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Der Shovel posted:

People on Facebook are going insane over this, but I literally do not see a downside here.

- The sequels were going to get made anyway because Lucas loves money
- He's agreed to let others get a swing at them now
- Even if he's lying, he will now be making the movies with responsibility to someone instead of as the lord and ruler of his own studio full of yes men

I'm actually excited about Star Wars for the first time since... I can't even remember when.

This is incredibly exciting! I've been on the side of Lucas leaving the franchise to someone else for a while.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
In the beginning, the Disney guy acknowledged the "17,000" characters in the Star Wars universe. So the EU will certainly be tapped.

THRAWN. THRAWN. THRAAAAWWWWN!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Gawrsh, Missa thinks this could only go megassa wrongs,
Uh Hyuck.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I guess instead of terrible movies we're going to get pretty looking but bland movies like the Avengers.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Can't wait for in movie product placement aka the new Ford Landspeeder: now with advanced hovering ability!

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
In the Q&A they mentioned that they are only planning on doing the next trilogy (7-9) in the 2 year increments. They have no plans to make any future films after that yet.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Was there anything said about why the company was sold? Obviously it was probably $$$, but I didn't know if they were financially unsound or if they were just getting out while the getting was good.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

jeffLebowski posted:

Doesn't whining about Episode 7 seem premature? It seems that separating Lucas from the Star Wars franchise is just about the best possible thing that could happen to it.

That is only slightly better than Disney getting a hold of it. I think it is still a net plus, and there will be additional movies, but for fucks stake, why did it have to be Disney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOwptKaiQM

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.movieweb.com/news/mark-hamill-talks-star-wars-7-8-and-9

Mark Hamill posted:

“He talked about doing a VII, VIII, IX,” Hamill began. “You know when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, ‘Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It’s crazy.’ [Imitating Lucas grumble,] ‘It’s the most commercial section of the movie.’ He said the first trilogy’s darker, more serious. And the impression I got, he said, ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ This is 1976. ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ I defy anyone to add 36 years to their lives and not be stunned. Even an eight year old is like, ‘No, I’ll never be 47.’ So I did the math and figured out how old I’d be. I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope.’ And I’m thinking, ‘I love the guy. If he wanted me to do light yard work at his house, I’d be out clipping the hedges.’ So I went, ‘Sure.’ But I thought he just realized that he’s going to be doing it the rest of his life and he’d rather not do that.”

I guess that George Lucas was off by a few years.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Teek posted:

Was there anything said about why the company was sold? Obviously it was probably $$$, but I didn't know if they were financially unsound or if they were just getting out while the getting was good.

I can't imagine Lucasfilm being in bad financial health, considering they are basically a licensing company and nothing else. ILM might be a pressured by overseas effect houses, but if that was the case, why not split the companies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It would be all kinds of amazing if they tossed the EU in the bin and went in a completely new direction for the new trilogy. The nerd rage could be used to turn Jupiter into a second sun, to boot.

• Locked thread