Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ijyt posted:

I have to agree with that, it didn't feel very star wars-y. It looked like a movie using its assets, but not actually star wars. Guess I'll wait for something more substantial but not really looking forward to this.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Episode VII will be a Star Wars movie, but nerds do not actually like Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
That retarded lightsaber killed my immersion. Why do they always gently caress with the fundamentals.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Why does the Narrator sound like Cumberbatch to me, i think my ears suck.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress that owned so hard. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the X-Wings going across the water. Wow!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Haha... I just realized how off my prediction of content was, because they intercut a lot of black. GG Ambams.

Young lady looks like she could be Debbie Reynolds' granddaughter. Bet she's a Skywalker.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

X-Wings are great and all, but where's the Z-95 Headhunter?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

halwain posted:

Why does the Narrator sound like Cumberbatch to me, i think my ears suck.

Adam Driver has a similar cadence, if that's him.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Sombrerotron posted:

X-Wings are great and all, but where's the Z-95 Headhunter?

No, thats the xwing you see. The engines split with the wing.

Specifically, it's designed based on mcquarries original x-wing concept art.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ShineDog posted:

It's the big, looping shot of the falcon that looked the least starwars and the most abrams to me. But whatev, looks kind of great.

100% agree

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not sure what you mean.

vvvv: :jerkbag:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 28, 2014

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

I feel like people complaining this doesn't feel like Star Wars are somehow unaware that cinema has advanced since the late '70s/early '80s.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Goddamn that was masterful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ShineDog posted:

It's the big, looping shot of the falcon that looked the least starwars and the most abrams to me. But whatev, looks kind of great.

It looked like something they would have done in the asteroid chase in Empire if the technology and budget would have allowed it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Computer Parts has thrown down the gauntlet. If you like Star Wars Episode 7, it will be because you don't like Star Wars movies.

NOW WHAT NERDS

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Most excited about the new lightsaber

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

im gay posted:

That retarded lightsaber killed my immersion. Why do they always gently caress with the fundamentals.

gently caress the fundamentals give me saber tosses and poo poo.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Bigsteve posted:

HAHAHAH! Falcon has a square radar dish now after Lando loving broke it. Love the trailer, the Xwings and the Falcon shots were perfect. I cant think of anything wrong with it.

The lightsaber was the worst part.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
It looks like JJ's other generic sci-fi movies with tiny sprinkles of nostalgia.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it looks like Star Wars.

Star Wars is pretty cool :cool:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I think its fair to say there was more acting in Boyega's sweaty face than in the entire Prequel trilogy combined.

Goddamn that was good.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I thought the ClaymoreSaber was a "bit" chincy, but everything else owned, EXCEPT MY GODDAMNED VIEW OF LUKE/HAN/LEIA/CHEWIE/R2/THREEPIO.

Goddammit I wanted to see what they look like in the movie so bad!!!!

Williams Score was loving PERFECT!

Did anyone catch the sound effect of the Imperial Probe Droid right at the beginning before they cut way from Boyega?

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 28, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Now I want to watch a Star Wars.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that the first thing we see of the new Star Wars is a terrified black stormtrooper lurching up into the frame.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hhhat posted:

Computer Parts has thrown down the gauntlet. If you like Star Wars Episode 7, it will be because you don't like Star Wars movies.

NOW WHAT NERDS

That's actually the exact opposite of the statement.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
That lightsaber is ridiculous. (Watch the lightsaber become the thing that ruined this movie.)

X-Wings over water, though, sweet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my goddddd, every shot from that trailer had me like :vince:

It really doesn't look like it's shot like any Star Wars movie has been before, but it sure looked gorgeous to me, so I think I'll be totally cool with that.

Like, it looks like Star Wars but handled by a much more skilled cinematographer.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't care if it "looks like Star Wars". I care if it "looks like a good movie". And it does. :allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That lighsaber is pretty rad actually - could be "so powerful!!" that it needs to expend some gas. I dunno.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This shot owned so hard.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
There is no point to the lightsaber's features, it would actually probably cut the user's hand off. Retarded.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's not an impractical crossguard folks, see it as two exhaust pipes :getin:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

im gay posted:

There is no point to the lightsaber's features, it would actually probably cut the user's hand off. Retarded.

Practicality is super important in laser swords.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ShineDog posted:

No, thats the xwing you see. The engines split with the wing.

Specifically, it's designed based on mcquarries original x-wing concept art.

I guess you're right, I hadn't yet watched the video so hadn't seen the quad lasers yet. Oh well, maybe some day. :smith:

What gets me about the lightsaber is maybe not so much the tiny blades serving as a crossguard or whatever, but the fact that they don't appear simultaneously with the main blade. It's just comical the way it communicates this self-satisfied "HO HO HO BET YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THAT" feeling. It's loving silly to actually get upset about it, however.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Like, it looks like Star Wars but handled by a much more skilled cinematographer.

It's shot by Dan Mindel, who did Abrams' two Star Trek movies along with some other stuff that looked pretty good.

It was also shot on film.

quote:

self-satisfied "HO HO HO BET YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THAT" feeling.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 28, 2014

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

im gay posted:

It's red, so that's obviously a Sith saber, and they seem to gently caress with the saber designs in general.

This teaser loving OWNED. Of course, Star Wars teaser trailers always own. Without exception. Regardless if the movie is the best thing ever or the worst... Star Wars never fails to hype me THE gently caress UP.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

im gay posted:

How would someone cut their hand off using that? Dropping it?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Jesus, I just realized why it looks so different, because nothing looks like a terrible CGI'd person-in-front-of-green screen shot.

Look at the mountains and clouds in the background of those X-Wings. It.....it looks like they actually filmed that beautiful landscape for real. :stare:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Claymore lightsaber eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
The lightsaber effect looks really ragged. I mean it looks finished, but it's not like some perfectly smooth gradient that we've seen before in the previous films.

It looks rad :allears:

• Locked thread