Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'll be able to see A New Hope remade in my lifetime. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hell Diver posted:

If they're continuing with 7, does this mean we get to see bloated old jedi master Luke training the next generation of hip current stars like Zach Effron or something?

Tron Legacy but with Star Wars would unironically own.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Madurai posted:

By which you mean, 4,5.

And you really mean 4.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Terror Sweat posted:

Also it was really really boring.

Not really, the only real slow part is the build up to the final battle and even that had stuff like fighting a big fuckton gorilla in a colosseum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alhazred posted:

That's weird because my main beef with the third movie is that not a lot happens. They're just on a boat and then a whirlpool happens.

You're blocking out a lot of it. First they go to China, then they go to the underworld, then they come back from the underworld, then they reveal that everyone is doublecrossing everyone, etc etc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bongo Bill posted:

A series that's big enough for me to care what's going to happen, but original enough for me to not know in advance, is exactly what I hope they can produce.

The OT outside of *maybe* two scenes in ESB would fail those qualifications, though (and the big twist in ESB was already sort of foreshadowed with Yoda's reveal).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

You're forgetting the part where the war was ACTUALLY started by the antagonists being in league with, and taking orders from, the literal dark lord of evil.

The council itself is never shown as anything order than a force for good misled by the one bad guy, its only failing being falling for Palpatine - either because he's a genius who has planned this all in advance and is really that good at misleading people, or that whole magic plot-device mind control thing he has going.

Yes, and the whole point is that they're so stupid they can't see The Dark Lord of Evil five feet away from them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm not exactly ready to interpret the senate as stupid for failing to see through someone with the power to control people's minds and manipulate the fabric of the Universe. It's like calling a blind person stupid for not being able to see things. Yeah you're right, they have failed to recognise something right in front of them, but at the same time they are incapable of seeing in this manner it all.

Not the Senate, the Jedi. You know, the mystical warriors on the "council".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Monkey Man posted:

Don't forget about the three times that the Emperor came back from the dead!

And the Assassin droid that got uploaded to the Death Star.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ineffiable posted:

Didn't we try to do 'fun action-adventure' movie with Indy Jones 4? That didn't go well.

As opposed to the philosophical character study of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreenBuckanneer posted:

3. I have no idea who thought that shaking cameras and battlestar galactica "oh poo poo lots of poo poo is going down, lets make it look like someone's filming this" was a good idea because it looks lovely most of the time, and frustrating/insufferable the rest.

This was clearly a reference to TOS/Trek in general, for what it's worth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Popcorn posted:

What was this?

Some guy asked Lucas what happened to Luke & co after the OT.

He replied, "They died."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

I really hate this trend (is it a trend? or did people always do this?) of encouraging people to watch or read things in their fictional universes chronological order instead of the order of creation. The prequels were designed to be watched after the original trilogy. What little works in them works a lot better if you know who Anakin grows into and that Palpitine and the Sith in the dark robes are the same dude. It also helps explain Ewan McGregor's performance. Harper Collins started putting out box sets with The Chronicles of Narnia in chronological order too.

To be fair to Narnia wasn't The Magician's Nephew the only one released out of order chronologically?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GORDON posted:

I think I disagree. "The Force" and Jedis were never a religion or into mysticism, that was just Han Solo's cynical opinion in Ep4. The Jedi weren't worshiping any invisible sky people. "The Force" obviously existed, and could be objectively demonstrated in the real world. What the prequels did is delve into the mechanics of it and clumsily try to deconstruct it with the finesse of a bull in a China shop.

Now drat you, sir, for giving me an opening to defend the prequels, which I will hate until the Moon turns to dust and the birds sing no more.

The Force is literally space Buddhism but with tangible powers, you're using "religion" as a stand in for "Christianity" (which the Prequels then show is also applicable to the Force).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Don't get me started on my epic Trek/Wars crossover. The Borg Queen tries to seduce and assimilate the Emperor, but he destroys the nanoprobes with the dark side. Our heroes have to save the universe from the birth of a Sith/Borg hybrid.

And at the end of it Han Solo and Chewie get sent back in time and become the basis for the Sasquatch legend.

that was the dumbest EU story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samara posted:

Just explore the Old Republic Disney, it has infinite stories that can be told without all the baggage of the original trilogy.

Except all the baggage where all the ships and everything look just like the OT.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you aren't joking about that being an actual story then you gave me yet another reason to never read EU stuff again.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Into_the_Great_Unknown

non-canon but still :EU: as hell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrNutt posted:

I was actually about to come back here and say that I couldn't believe no one had brought this up yet. If he's good enough for young Bruce Willis, he's good enough for young Harrison Ford.

I haven't seen Looper yet so when I saw this at first I thought there was a flashback scene in the new Die Hard movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm surprised no one has suggested Shia LaBeouf yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Who wants to see a 70 year old Han Solo.

Hey, it worked for Flynn.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ave Azaria posted:

The Skywalker family narrative has been drained of all mystery. There's nothing fascinating about the Force anymore; we've seen it used and overused and overexplained.
It would be like if all of the Indiana Jones movies had the Ark of the Covenant in them, it kept getting opened over and over, and each time it had to one-up the last movie and melt 10 times as many Nazis. The excess devalues.

No one gives a poo poo about the EU, least of all Disney.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ave Azaria posted:

Not even talking about the EU. The original trilogy explores the Force and brings it to a good close, emotionally. Its mysteriousness is what draws you into the story. It's a war story, and you can tell all sorts of good stories with that setting, but I think what makes the original films intriguing and mystical is that they're about a kid discovering magic that everyone thought was gone.
The prequels depict the Force as commonplace, the default weapon of a well-established group. The only eyebrow-raising discovery in that series is "this Anakin kid shouldn't exist, but he does", but then Qui-Gon dies and it gets dropped. The Force isn't exciting to witness, and I don't want to see it placed in the foreground anymore.

It seems commonplace because basically everyone you follow in the prequels is a Jedi. Basically all of Luke's scenes in ESB and ROTJ featured him using the force or a lightsaber in one way or another, it's just balanced by the fact that Han and Leia can't do any of that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bongo Bill posted:

That's what happens in Foundation and Earth, but Foundation's Edge happened before any of that.

Foundation's Edge is the one with Gaia, which was a third party in the whole Foundation/Second Foundation fight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also as a creature shriveled and shrunken with age rather than belonging to race that just always looks like that.

850 isn't that far off from 900 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darko posted:

In the prequels, there is another...

She's also supposed to be like 500, and that looks decent for a middle aged...whatever (not in the Gonzo sense).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ave Azaria posted:

Seems similar to how the later movies took isolated-but-iconic elements from the earlier movies and multiplied them... all the younglings training with the same improvised junk Luke trained with on the Millennium Falcon, all the Jedi wearing Obi Wan's moisture farmer disguise (though this one started when they showed Anakin's ghost in ROTJ, right?)

Yes, but the Jedi being warrior monks is a consistent theme so it's not egregiously bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

feedmyleg posted:

Once again, the latter is something that can't be taken into account because it's based on the prequels. As implied by the OT, the older days of the Republic could have been thousands of years ago (which is always how I took it, before the prequels came out).

This is directly contradicted by Obi-Wan, though.

quote:

BEN: A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he
turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi
Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all
but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 26, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

justsomedude posted:

Also, what the prequels did to force lightning reminds me of the way the prequels stole all of the thematic meaning of the emperor's appearance in the original trilogy. As Plinkett noted, we'd always assumed the emperor looked the way he did because he was incredibly old, and had extended his lifespan unnaturally using technology and the dark side of the force. This was in stark contrast to the Jedi, who accepted their deaths and got to pass on their wisdom to the next generation (symbolized by their post-death existence as incorporeal ghosts).

Then, the prequels tell us the emperor was ugly because Mace Windu reflected a Force Bolt (TM) into his face, and Yoda and Obi Wan came back as ghosts because they had completed their Qui Gon Force Ghost Training Programs (TM). gently caress it all.

This is still in the PT, though. Palpatine's age is never really established but he's already kind of old during the events of TPM and it's basically outright stated that he used his mentor's teaching to lengthen his life past its natural scope.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpaceMost posted:

I doubt Lucas wrote prequels with multimillion dollar budgets just to spite the extreme minority of die hard fans whose sum total box office receipts probably don't even cover the production costs of the pod race.

No, he probably wrote them because he wanted to make some cool movies again and make some money. He just didn't give a gently caress about the people cosplaying as stormtroopers when he wrote them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rocket Ace posted:

As a kid I got bored during most of Tatooine until they reached Mos Eisley.

I still, even now, get a bit of a rush when the music swells as Obi Wan describes that hive of scum and villainy from atop that cliff. As a child, it meant "the movie is finally MOVING again".

I like ANH best out of all Star Wars related media and I still think that this was the worst/longest part of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

Why does it have to be A Thing That Happens, though? Part of the fun to that scene was that "Freeze that guy so we can get him to the Emperor" was such an outlandish idea, and the EU just had to go and make "freeze guys" a common thing nobody really bats an eye at.

It's ambiguous but there's enough evidence either way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vicissitude posted:

I would have assumed that, having moved beyond physical weapons, they'd be battling on a completely separate plane of perception or something, or even with the natural forces of reality.

So it would be the first part of the Dooko-Yoda fight, which is about as bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Moose King posted:

I thought the rule of two encouraged the Dark Jedi lackey of the week, if anything. Apprentice gets defeated, sith lord finds a new apprentice, repeat until sith lord is defeated (but his final apprentice survived and becomes the new master, oh nooooo). Look at the prequels, you have Darth Maul, then Count Dooku, then General Grievous.

Although what happens is that they seemingly ignore the rule of two and have "Dark Jedi" who aren't officially Sith but still do the whole "evil force powers" stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

I have no problem with people liking stupid pulp stuff. I do myself. Actually wanting that stupid pulp stuff to be part of the main films or getting upset that it's being retconned is where it becomes dumb.
That's a little disingenuous because stupid pulp stuff is what made the original films (or at least the first one) good. You need well executed pulp stuff, though, and the EU has very very little of that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

api call girl posted:

Nope, don't want the film-only continuity either, and then you'd have to get into a discussion on which films, and which versions of which films. (Does anyone actually want "Jedi Rock" in their ROTJ?)

Even if you treat canon as something important, does "Jedi Rock" really impact that at all?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Don't know if it was specifically mentioned here but We're getting a lot of Star Wars movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Benne posted:

Also Avatar 2 is still a thing apparently

Yeah, Cameron's reportedly been trying to find 60FPS cameras so he can shoot it in HFR.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neowyrm posted:

Because, as a quality of it being a series of films, it is not exempt from the fact that it has a plot and people will watch the films to see it. I don't understand what you're trying to imply here: what would you rather so may people watch Star Wars for?

Pacing, editing, acting, casting, costuming, score, cinematography would be just a few examples.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Makes sense when you consider how Abram's Star Trek doesn't retread any pre-existing Star Tre....

Everything Abrams retreads had already been featured in the movies. This is the equivalent to looking at some Voyager fanfiction and deciding to make a movie off of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darko posted:

And Mace is a master portrayed as equal to Yoda.

My point was more about how lackluster it was directed to make it seem like me pressing a button on KOTOR and tossing it out casually. Casual toss, casual deflect as the first appearance of pure hate turned into energy. Wonderful.

To be fair other Star wars media like KOTOR already appears to have trivialized it in your mind.

• Locked thread