Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

reagan posted:

Maybe he'll die in reverse-Indiana Jones fashion. He tries to take out some Jedi with his blaster but the bolt gets deflected and he ends up shooting himself. Bonus points if the Jedi is Greedo for some reason.

Yes. I want it to happen so fast, no one is even sure they saw it. And then when Leia and Luke start to run down the hall, they realize Han isn't following. They turn around and see Han Solo laying face-down on the floor.

And Leia is all like, "Han? Han?" and turns him over, and half of his face has been grotesquely blown off like that scene in Super, instantly transforming the scene into a living nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Firstborn posted:

The bit about lightning being used to torture and thematic effect vs. "you've reached Sith Level 12, you've unlocked Force Lightning" in the prequels is great. If for whatever reason you haven't seen these videos, I recommend them heartily to you.

Not sure if we're talking about the same bit, but I thought the treatment of the Obi Wan/Anakin vs. Count Dooku duel as a videogame battle in which the combatants used trademarked Force Powers against one another was one of the funniest bits the Plinkett reviews (right beside the analysis of Anakin's courtship of Padme).

Also, what the prequels did to force lightning reminds me of the way the prequels stole all of the thematic meaning of the emperor's appearance in the original trilogy. As Plinkett noted, we'd always assumed the emperor looked the way he did because he was incredibly old, and had extended his lifespan unnaturally using technology and the dark side of the force. This was in stark contrast to the Jedi, who accepted their deaths and got to pass on their wisdom to the next generation (symbolized by their post-death existence as incorporeal ghosts).

Then, the prequels tell us the emperor was ugly because Mace Windu reflected a Force Bolt (TM) into his face, and Yoda and Obi Wan came back as ghosts because they had completed their Qui Gon Force Ghost Training Programs (TM). gently caress it all.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Firstborn posted:

I should note that I'm not even a huge fan. I've seen the OT around twice, the prequels once each, and have absorbed the rest through cultural osmosis and wiki pages. This is just to reinforce I'm not one of the "the prequels ruined my childhood" types. I always preferred Indiana Jones- so you already know what I'd be more inclined to bitch about.

I'm actually in a similar boat. I've seen the originals more than twice, but I didn't even see them for the first time until I was 16, so it isn't like I've got this rose-colored glasses view of the films that a lot of people have by virtue of having watched them repeatedly since the age of 6. But the sheer ineptitude with which the slapdash-yet-compelling mythology of the OT was handled in the PT is so staggering that it is almost beautiful. The film world has never seen anything quite like it, and never will again.

As for the folks defending the force lightning scene by positing that the Force Bolt (TM) merely dispelled Palpatine's illusion or whatever the gently caress: at best, this scene muddled the point while adding nothing whatsoever to the plot. If anything, it just heightened the implausibility of Palpatine's rise to power (another good Plinkett joke: "Would this face lie to you?"). It was a stupid decision that seemed to be more about the tendency of prequels to want to boil origin story explanations down to a single simplistic moment (e.g. Wolverine getting amnesia from a magic bullet in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, instead of from years of physical and psychological torture) than it was about any thematic or plot considerations.

Chilled Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 1, 2013

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Is there any actual evidence for the whole "Lucas' changes to the OT are out if spite or to prove a point to fans" thing I keep seeing tossed around?

Nah, it is just the comically bizarre nature of a lot of the changes Lucas has made that has tended to give rise to ridiculous conspiracy theories about his motivations. No one actually knows what is going on inside of his head. It's possible that he really is just weirdly obsessive-compulsive about his work. That said, I would argue that many of his changes at the very least show a level of condescension towards the audience that borders on venomous (e.g. Darth Vader yelling "noooo" as he chucks the Emperor down the elevator shaft to make sure everybody understands that he is upset).

Edit:

McDowell posted:

There is a picture of him somewhere with a 'Han Shot First' shirt on.

Yeah, but it could just be that he honestly thought the shirt was funny. That isn't necessarily a venomous "gently caress you" to the fans or anything. Maybe he believed the whole "Han Shot First" movement was intended in good humor, and misunderstood the level of nerd rage he had provoked.

Chilled Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 1, 2013

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

sassassin posted:

Perhaps he understands exactly the 'level of nerd rage' he provoked and finds that incredibly funny?

I know I do.

Sure, this is also possible, but now you're straying close to validating the crazed theories that Lucas has done everything he did because he has some kind of vindictive hatred of his fans. A theory which I personally find unlikely. I honestly doubt that Lucas bought and wore a t-shirt out of spite.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

There is an article on wired that breaks down the tactics in the battle in the beginning of Empire as though it were as real as Operation Overlord.

Utter disappointment and frustration is the only sane response to this.

I think I saw the Wired article in question, and it seemed pretty tongue-in-cheek to me. Not that I'm arguing that there aren't nerds who really do take the battles of Star Wars as seriously or more seriously than the battles of actual, real history. But I don't think those people have quite the platform you are suggesting, and I don't think the Wired article would've ever seen publication if not for its wryly humorous, ironic tone.

Edit:
Although I suppose it is possible that I am only projecting irony onto the Wired article due to my own internal assumption that the only possible reason a professional writer would ever write such an article would be to poke fun at the idea of writing such an article.

Chilled Cactus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 1, 2013

• Locked thread