Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy christ, this is huge. Just saw the news reported on Facebook from a local radio station.

I wonder where they'll go, I always thought the Thrawn trilogy would be nice to see on the big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

From what I remember, there is random sith here and there for plot reasons, Jedi are nearly still wiped out but Luke opens a new school for people finding out they are attuned to the force still.

I've really own read the Thrawn Trilogy and the other two by Zahn, some books by Kevin Anderson but nothing else.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But who says some aspects of the EU aren't terrible for the public? I mean... a lot of it is but the Thrawn trilogy in the right hands would be good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've never read any EU stuff, what is the best of it? I'm honestly curious because I've heard nothing but bad things.

Thrawn Trilogy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy

Hand of Thrawn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hand_of_Thrawn

Those are my personal favorites and the writing feels the closest to the OT. Best ive read.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed John Carter and upset that it won't be explored on the big screen anymore. More reason to go back and read it though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just put Hamil in a wig, done.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to call those 3 movies poo poo is really stretching things!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think someone out there meticulously went thru the new blu rays and corrected everything themselves, no?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The scene where Dooku talks to Obi Wan while he's held in the force field on Geonosis. People (and the movies) forget about it. "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!" You know, maybe he was being serious. After all he was the guy sort of in charge of the troops fighting Palpatine's guys.

Nah, that was just some poetry. It rhymes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It's a shame Harrison Ford died during forum downtime.

Apparently his injury hosed everything up and he'll be on a 6 month leave prompting re-writes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well him pictured in a wheelchair aint helping those rumours unless Han Solo is a paraplegic now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They can just CGI a smaller mouth.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tatooine again!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thats you.

I thought the IMAX scenes in Dark Knight were loving awesome - especially the bank robbery. Holy gently caress the zip line!!

BEAUTIFUL.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was this posted yet? Footage of the new X-Wings.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=783460195038917

EDIT: Not footage but a reveal of a practical X-Wing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone able to grab a decent HD capture of that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

echronorian posted:

I've never seen this show before, is it all that tacky? From the star wars theme with a disco breakbeat to the storm troopers I can't believe anyone could watch this and be pleasantly entertained.

That is an old rear end song man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWRWYYt47RI

So don't worry, they were probably butchering your childhood long before you were born.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bongo Bill posted:

The use of stock trailer music isn't doing this teaser any favors. What are they looking at at the end, there?

Frame this loving post. :lol:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's loving fantastic that he's going all practical sets. Keep CGI down to a minimum as much as you can and this will be goddamn perfect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess their back on Yavin for a bit, eh?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just get Carl Weathers, the other famous 80s black man.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Here's my review:

As I accelerate towards 40, I am filled with increasing bitterness and self-loathing as I watch my friends grow up, have families and succeed, leaving me far behind. As my only comforts are nostalgia for my childhood, fantasy escapism, and video games, I can only be filled with feelings of frothing rage and betrayal when the trailer for the latest Star Wars movie doesn't fill my broken, jaded adult mind with the same sense of hopeful joy for the future that I had as a child. I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up.

:lol: if this is actually true even tho its meant as a joke.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress that owned so hard. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the X-Wings going across the water. Wow!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That lighsaber is pretty rad actually - could be "so powerful!!" that it needs to expend some gas. I dunno.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

computer parts posted:

TPM was shot on film, it means nothing.

Yeah, so? It was the best looking of the entire prequel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

oddium posted:

I bet the hero saber looks pure and smooth and classic and this one is SITH PUSHING THE LIMITS OF SABER TECHNOLOGY so it's all ragged and spurts little crossguard blades

This is what I am going to go with - it sounds about right. The Sith dont give a gently caress in regards to being normal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

IMAX shot of the falcon

click for HUGE

Jesus that still is beautiful.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Its a good thing the first Star Trek movie was incredible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

I will say my only criticism is the logo. I guess they're sticking with that typeface then?

It's an old school font used around the era, even with Star Wars.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/11/6/7170213/itc-serif-gothic-is-the-thin-kerned-line-between-star-wars-the-verge-and-my-childhood

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who cares about the lightsaber hilt you loving idiots.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ravane posted:

I'm not sperging about it, I'd just like to know. George Lucas consistently dodges the question when he's asked and has cancelled any EU stuff that attempted to elucidate on his origins. I thought it was interesting, you guys just seem way too worked up about me asking a simple question.

BECAUSE ITS NOT loving IMPORTANT AND IT ADDS NOTHING TO THE STORY! WHO GIVES A gently caress WHERE YODA IS FROM

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ravane posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yoda%27s_species#Behind_the_scenes

I read that ten minutes ago, and thus I ask, where is Yoda from.

You're loving trolling at this point, eh? LMAO

quote:

Santa Claus appears to be a member of Yoda's species (as shown in Star Wars Adventure Journal 8), though this is an Easter egg and therefore is non-canon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cant wait til Ep7 owns. :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NEW book coming out to tie the gap between ESB and TFA

So is this the "new EU"? Or is it "canon"?

:words:

quote:

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER ENDOR? FIND OUT IN STAR WARS: AFTERMATH
By now, I hope you’ve all read or heard about our exciting new publishing program that was announced earlier this week: “The Journey to The Force Awakens.” (And if you haven’t, go read about it here) We’ll be releasing about 20 books this fall, some of which take place right after the end of Return of the Jedi. The books – which range from activity books for kids to comics and novels for adult fans – will contain hints about The Force Awakens, including new starships, planets, characters, and subtle clues about what happened to our heroes in the months following the Battle of Endor. Right now I’m excited to tell you about Del Rey’s contribution to the program: the novel Aftermath.

I’m also excited to share with you that Aftermath will be written by Chuck Wendig, the critically-acclaimed author of Blackbirds, Mockingbird, Under the Empyrean Sky, and many other novels, as well as countless blog posts about the craft and business of writing. We’re thrilled that he agreed to work on this epic new project with us.

The second Death Star has been destroyed. Rumors are flying that the Emperor and his enforcer, Darth Vader, are dead. A new government is forming to replace the Empire. But the galaxy is a big place, and the fallout of this cataclysm will affect different worlds in different ways. Does everyone accept the fall of Imperial rule? Has everyone even heard the life-altering news? What rushes in to fill the vacuum the Empire has left? And who will try to stop them? Those are some of the themes we’ll be exploring in Aftermath, and as a lifelong Star Wars fan, just writing those words gives me chills. I can’t wait for our first canon glimpse into the state of the galaxy after the Battle of Endor.

What’s more, Aftermath will be the first book in a trilogy that begins to bridge the Star Wars timeline between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There is so much unknown between the Battle of Endor and the events of The Force Awakens, and we’re excited to take our first step into that space.

Obviously I wish I could tell you more about the story, but I can’t just yet. What I can reveal is that you will be introduced to a sweeping new cast of characters, along with a fan favorite from the films. And who knows what other familiar faces will pop up along the way? And once you’ve seen The Force Awakens in movie theaters, you may find that certain names and places in Aftermath have a relevance you never knew–so keep your eyes wide open!

The one person more excited about Aftermath than the Del Rey team and I is Chuck Wendig! Chuck is a lifelong Star Wars fan himself, and it’s been an absolute pleasure working with him thus far. We asked Chuck to share a few words about being asked to write this novel, and here’s what he said: “My earliest — and still one of my best — movie-going experiences as a kid was being a four-year-old watching The Empire Strikes Back at a drive-in theater with my sister…My jaw dropped and I don’t think I’ve found it, yet. Those movies opened up a world for me, and my love of storytelling comes from them and from the galaxy of smaller, connected stories, too — from the toys to the games to the books. In fact, one of the first novels I ever read was the novelization of A New Hope. I have a son who will in a few short months be my age when I saw Empire, so to be involved with the Star Wars universe just as the new film is coming out — it feels like not only something akin to kismet, but a great and powerful privilege.”

Chuck isn’t the only one feeling the weight of that privilege. This is a story unlike any we’ve told before. And it all begins in just six short months! I hope you’ll eagerly await Aftermath‘s September release along with us until then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The best thing about Zhan was that he really captured the characters and how they acted. I read Kevin Anderson's books and the characters from the movies felt different and weird.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The music is terrible but everything else is pretty sweet. He was pretty much going for the Heavy Metal vibe but lacked legends to record music with. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__NN16uoXk

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Challenge accepted. (Just mute the left side.)

This is great, pretty much anything from the futurewave/retrowave/synthwave ahjdlkjaskldjalksjd whatever you wanna call it is gonna work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NAhlVRaZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02wKufX3nw

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Freakazoid_ posted:

I see retro wave discussion in a lot of other threads so forgive me for finding it overplayed.

Here's what I had in mind. Timing isn't half bad either.

OMFG this wins hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get hype.

• Locked thread