Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

I AM CARVALLO posted:

This is happening to me too. I did manage to kill one alien before I was disconnected

:gbsmith:

https://twitter.com/NS2/status/263444883640025088

That's really handy that they have their twitter feed showing at the bottom of the title screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is this game newbie friendly? I never played NS1 and I pre-ordered this game sometime last year apparently for no reason, so I never played its alpha, beta, or anything. Don't know why I have it, honestly.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Is this game newbie friendly? I never played NS1 and I pre-ordered this game sometime last year apparently for no reason, so I never played its alpha, beta, or anything. Don't know why I have it, honestly.

Now is the best time to join in as a lot of people will also be new players and enough has changed since the first that there will still be somewhat of a learning process.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
I have some issues launching it, and there's been one issue found post-launch, but overall it's gone really well. Having a ton of testers (pre-orders over the years) has paid off with a pre-seeded community and a lot of launch-day servers, plus it's given the team a platform from which to remind the community to play nice.

If they can quickly address the issues they've identified, then this could be a pretty smooth launch.

tyang209
Feb 17, 2007
The spergy server browser is making me cross-eyed.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow this game has come a LONG way from early beta. No lag spiffy graphics, dynamic infestation, hitboxes that work! :getin:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Yes, as long as you're not the commander and you have a good commander. A good commander will give you plenty of orders to follow.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Just played my first comm game, ended the game with 4 hives and a team of very happy rookies.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I played the poo poo out of the first game, and preordered this one about 2 years ago. I've been playing the beta for the past two weeks and am having a lot of fun so far. I have a dedicated server I can get going again and I'll let you guys know the info once it's up.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
47 minutes in and we finally get three exos up, then the server crashes :(

Also my black armor isn't showing and it's selected in options :argh:

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, never thought id see this released. Im playing CS:GO, SC2 and now NS2. Its like 8 years ago only way cooler.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Carecat posted:

47 minutes in and we finally get three exos up, then the server crashes :(

Also my black armor isn't showing and it's selected in options :argh:

It doesn't change your view model. Make sure you ask someone else.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
Just played my first full game. I turned all my graphics down, and I'm still at 20 fps. :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm getting a thing where my FPS will go from it's usual ~40/45 and then suddenly drop to 30, and refuse to go any higher. Like some kind of hardcap.

e: Also was playing Aliens with a newbie commander and getting stomped, and then suddenly got to introduce a bunch of newbies to their first invisible Onos. Oh the confused running and screaming!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Just remember, this is only the start. Keep reporting these issue to the devs.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How are we organising games? I just played a pick up game and it was pretty low on any sort of communication/teamwork. I'd rather play with goons who know how to use a mic. Preferably EU, the game is laggy enough without global lag.

tyang209
Feb 17, 2007
I don't know if my computer is broken or the game has memory issues. I'm currently hovering around 1.73/4 gigs of ram used but I keep getting Out of Memory issues while I'm running NS. Does it really take two gigs of free ram to run? I guess this is a reason for me to upgrade to 8 gigs.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Joined a game in progress, went alien. Found out we have no commander, then immediately afterwards 3 MAXes came in the hive I spawned at, one at a time. I killed all of them as a skulk. Launch day :allears:

meadowlark
May 25, 2012
I'm getting painfully long load times. :ughh:

e: ... and it crashed.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Sir_Seth posted:

I'm getting painfully long load times. :ughh:

e: ... and it crashed.

Yeah, it's been like that for me for a while in the Beta as well. I'm curious to know what it is.

And the game is definitely framelocked to 30 FPS.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there any reason for an alien to ever turn off their night vision? It's basically a quake era vision hack without the see-through walls part.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, this is pretty awesome. Check out this hallway.

Recognize it? It's the hallway from the "COMING IN FALL 2009" teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The steam requirements/recommended for NS2 seem insanely low, especially I know that over the course of the beta there were a lot of issues with performance.

Could anyone who plays with an old machine elaborate on their specs and the performance they get?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'm gonna be stuck downloading for the rest of eternity, but how's the Flamethrower handle in release? I loves me some inhumane incendiary weapons, and was sorta-disappointed with how lukewarm-and-unused the flamethrower was in beta gameplay videos.

Also, can I feasibly dart around with both a jetpack and a flamethrower while still being vaguely useful? If this game allows me to play "Alien Carnage 2012" it'll be GOTY for me.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

StuntKid posted:

And the game is definitely framelocked to 30 FPS.

It's not framelocked at 30 at all, the server tick rate is though.

edit: I take it back, sounds like some people are getting locked at 30FPS randomly.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 31, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Gunder posted:

Is there any reason for an alien to ever turn off their night vision? It's basically a quake era vision hack without the see-through walls part.

You can have it on all the time but I usually have it off maybe half the time. It's a bit garish, and I like to appreciate the scenery and pretty graphics of the game. It's undeniably useful during action so I usually flick it on just before a fight, like a knight lowering his visor.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

The steam requirements/recommended for NS2 seem insanely low, especially I know that over the course of the beta there were a lot of issues with performance.

Could anyone who plays with an old machine elaborate on their specs and the performance they get?

Yeah, the requirements seem really low for such a pretty looking game. I can't believe my GTX 460 and i5 750 are getting so outdated. :smith:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Re: some issues posted earlier in the thread,

The best way to raise your FPS is to turn down your resolution. I play on 1366 and it looks/feels great.

The long loading times are due to loading a map for the first time, it precaches a ton of stuff, these long loads won't happen again after it happens once. Also going in to some rooms on some maps will do the same thing, and be fine from that point out. When maps are changed between patches this will sometimes happen again.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

On a pretty new PC, but my performance increased from 40-60FPS a few weeks ago to a silky smooth 100fps on release.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Stuck at 6% downloading. I probably should have loaded last night.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Captain Beans posted:

I have an ancient dual core and a GTS 450 and I get 20-40FPS. Alien infestation seems to kill my framerate the most.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

CheeseSpawn posted:

Stuck at 6% downloading. I probably should have loaded last night.

There wasn't a pre-load but i'm stuck downloading as well, kinda sucks.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Do the people getting 30fps have vertical sync turned on by any chance? Vsync will lock your framerate to either 60 or the nearest thing that evenly multiplies into 60, which for many people is 30.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

ChickenHeart posted:

I'm gonna be stuck downloading for the rest of eternity, but how's the Flamethrower handle in release? I loves me some inhumane incendiary weapons, and was sorta-disappointed with how lukewarm-and-unused the flamethrower was in beta gameplay videos.

Also, can I feasibly dart around with both a jetpack and a flamethrower while still being vaguely useful? If this game allows me to play "Alien Carnage 2012" it'll be GOTY for me.

If you're hoping for "vaguely useful" you're going to have your mind blown when you experience the unbelievable power that is flamethrower + jetpack.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
Are the humans all men? Or are there female space marines as well?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Kire posted:

All men currently, but female is planned for a future update. The original marine model from waaaay back before even engine test stage was actually female, but I guess the model wasn't up to snuff with their standards so they canned it.

Green Cheeseburger
Dec 15, 2006
For those having trouble downloading, try pausing the download and then restarting it. Mine would slow to a crawl but then start back nice and strong after unpausing it.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Dead Like Rev posted:

There wasn't a pre-load but i'm stuck downloading as well, kinda sucks.

Yeah, steam was like, "We're going to optimize your install!" Then it starts to download and I'm like really? I fixed the downloading problem by relaunching steam. The steam forum was actually useful for once.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Kire posted:

For now only male but they have said female marines is something they plan to add pretty soon after release.

Those having frame rate issues have you tried changing the infestation graphic option ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gunder posted:

When you turn the alien vision on you can't see people through walls if they're parasited. So really, if you want wallhax, leave it off. Another downside is that it removes situational awareness of lighting - you don't know how well you are hidden because you don't know what the map looks like to marines.

• Locked thread