Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Had this pre-order sitting in my Steam for like a month when a buddy gifted it to me from the beta. From my experience, I downloaded the thing on steam in about 50 minutes, jumped into a server (first map load time was slow, but all subsequent maps were speedy) and had a really smooth experience.

Played on both teams, marines are fun but never had a commander that gave us anything good so I didn't get to try mechs much. Seems like grenade launchers are pretty bad against anything other than structures. The aliens were a lot of fun and it feels great being so zippy to even out your melee only and squishy health. The flying things are cool, but the ghosty zippy aliens are bad rear end as hell.

Is there a good tutorial on Marine Commander? I tried the one in-game and it was all unorganized and on the fly, so I didn't get a good feel for what the options were while the guy was playing and teaching at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Gunder posted:

Is there any reason for an alien to ever turn off their night vision? It's basically a quake era vision hack without the see-through walls part.

As was mentioned, lighting awareness. In addition to not being aware of the power state of a room, you don't see marine's flashlights in alien vision. You also miss out on how how awesome everything looks.

I think skulk eyes also glow when its enabled; can anyone confirm/debunk?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yeah, the official release! Go UWE!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just finished a few games. The game's great on both sides, and I ended up getting good commanders overall. I find the Fade easiest to play along with the Gorge. I really enjoyed the first one, so I'm glad this one lives up to my expectations.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I am apparently having trouble with the game's voice chat though. Everyone was saying they couldn't understand me and I couldn't find any voice setup in the menus.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Are we going to have a PGS thread with goon servers and a whitelist signup sheet?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Captain Beans posted:

The steam requirements/recommended for NS2 seem insanely low, especially I know that over the course of the beta there were a lot of issues with performance.

Could anyone who plays with an old machine elaborate on their specs and the performance they get?

I play this on a q6600 quad core at 2.3ghz with a Geforce 8800 and its playable. I get slow downs occasionally when poo poo hits the fan but otherwise its fine. I guess I should turn on a frame rate counter so I have some numbers for this kind of post.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

When you turn the alien vision on you can't see people through walls if they're parasited. So really, if you want wallhax, leave it off. Another downside is that it removes situational awareness of lighting - you don't know how well you are hidden because you don't know what the map looks like to marines.

Thats not true, you can definitely see people through walls when they are parasited. There is no downside to using alien vision and you should always have it on as an alien unless you're gorging. If you want wallhax AND lambert, use it. Having alien vision on allows you to flail around as a skulk/fade and keep a lock on your target. And the key to being a good skulk/fade is flailing around while still landing all your bites.

edit: I guess the lighting awareness is a valid point but once you learn the maps and know the places to hide you should always have it on.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 31, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Garfu posted:

Thats not true, you can definitely see people through walls when they are parasited. There is no downside to using alien vision and you should always have it on as an alien unless you're gorging. If you want wallhax AND lambert, use it.
Maybe it's at range, then? I'm like 95% sure I've turned off alien vision to see a guy through the walls, then turned it back on and he has disappeared.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe it's at range, then? I'm like 95% sure I've turned off alien vision to see a guy through the walls, then turned it back on and he has disappeared.

Seeing a parasite through walls has a range on it regardless of alienvision being on or not. I am 100% sure of this, leave it on :)

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I killed three Onos in one life as a COMMANDER today. This is the type of whacked out poo poo that happens with lovely new players.

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!
How do the pros lerk? Every time I evolve lerk I feel like I'm going to break my spacebar just trying to maintain altitude.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Man, this game is an absolute blast to play on both sides! It really is reliant on a commander who can communicate though.

Is it just me or is it really drat hard to find out where things are happening as aliens? I hear WARGLE UNDER ATTACK and have to pore over the map every time, a WP would be really handy.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Black_Plague22 posted:

How do the pros lerk? Every time I evolve lerk I feel like I'm going to break my spacebar just trying to maintain altitude.

Get up your speed with a few flaps then hold to glide around. Shift to lock to a wall you're up against, just tap it.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Black_Plague22 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7wHiP0Zek0

I made that a while ago and it's kind of outdated but it definitely shows how you can maneuver. Remember it only takes 2 flaps to get to full speed, so you don't have to spam spacebar. Also a good discipline to learn is to get good at hoverstrafing after flying forwards. So you fly around with W+Spacebar, and then release W and keep flapping to start hovering, then use your strafe keys to strafe around a target. Oh yeah hold shift to glide/hover, you'll need to flap every so often when hovering though to keep altitude.

I'd suggest going into explore mode and flying around for a little bit first.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

BlueDestiny posted:

Man, this game is an absolute blast to play on both sides! It really is reliant on a commander who can communicate though.

Is it just me or is it really drat hard to find out where things are happening as aliens? I hear WARGLE UNDER ATTACK and have to pore over the map every time, a WP would be really handy.

Press C, a lot. You can see where action is happening easily. A blinking building means it's under attack. And any marines in view of one of your teammates will show up as a marine on the map.

edit: woops sorry for double

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ughh, just got the bad end of lots of new players. I was playing Alien commander and it was like trying to herd cats. I even managed to get 3 hives and every possible upgrade but they couldn't actually do anything with it. I was dropping hundred of res worth of eggs that they just couldn't put to any use. I just quit in frustration after the marines rolled 12 ARCs up to a wall near a hive and blew up the entire room in 2 shots.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The next few games I join I'll be resigned to the idea that my team might lose despite my best efforts due to new players being rubbish. And I'm okay with that, since I'll be spending time helping the new players better understand the game. Over time the influx of rubbish new players will be a robust and sizeable community.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

AgentF posted:

The next few games I join I'll be resigned to the idea that my team might lose despite my best efforts due to new players being rubbish. And I'm okay with that, since I'll be spending time helping the new players better understand the game. Over time the influx of rubbish new players will be a robust and sizeable community.

There needs to be more people like you in the world.

Seriously. For next few days that's exactly what I'll be doing. More people should be doing this.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Dear god... So many new players... It's just fields of green. I am a god among men.

It gets a little tiring commanding game after game, but all these new players make me giddy.

Pro tip to anyone commanding a team of alien nubs: Build lots of onos eggs after getting leap/cara/celerity and stick a gorge to them. Onos are noob friendly.

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 31, 2012

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
I barely ever played natural selection and just bought this on a whim, I spent my first game mowing down also bad new players as a marine and did pretty well. Sadly the game crashed after we were finally making some progress in pushing back the aliens.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
It's odd being the only black-armored marine in some servers. :dukedog:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sendo posted:

It's almost like a completely different game compared to then.

For comparison, about a year ago a server I frequent struggled to run a 12v12. Recently that same server was running 24v24 using a custom mod and only started to show signs of slowing down after about half an hour - this was 2 builds ago.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
If anyone is getting crashes when loading, verify your steam cache, fixed my crashing problems.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Downloading :toot:

I played the hell out of NS back in the day and preordered NS2 2 years ago (:stare:) but didn't really play the beta at all. I can't wait to shoot up some aliens.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
As someone who played the crap out of the first one and was kind of following the development of NS2 but was convinced it was never going to come out or that it was going to suck, this game is freaking incredible. I can't get over how good it looks and how polished it was. Sure there were a couple of hicks but this is a whole new engine developed by an indie studio.

Plus the two random servers I played on were super noob friendly. The experienced guys were letting complete rookies play as commander and they just calmly explained to them what they should think about doing. It was awesome.

EDIT: And the new exoskeletons are freakin awesome and the Fade is (still from NS1) OP.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
It's reeeeeally well optimized on the lowest settings now. Which is good for me!

also it's fun i guess

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

tehsid posted:

There needs to be more people like you in the world.

Seriously. For next few days that's exactly what I'll be doing. More people should be doing this.

I've been doing the same thing. I'm a mediocre commander but I've been doing that a lot today. When not doing comm I'd tell the comm we had what to do and do my best to direct traffic. This has actually been common in most of the servers I've played in and it's really cool to see people helping the influx of new players. The one thing is I've gone from a mediocre comm to a pretty good one, simply because I never was a fan of doing it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Running at 1920x1080 with everything on low still produces a whopping 14fps in menus (6fps in game!) with a Geforce 560 1GB, with a quad-core 3Ghz and 16GB of RAM. I just wanna play the game and be able to distinguish aliens properly, which is really loving hard when the shadows/effects that make them 'pop' have to be turned off.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
There's something definitely wrong with your settings or drivers or something. I have a similar GPU and have a good solid 40-60fps. Hell, I got better performance in the original, horribly optimized, presale alpha.

Also woohoo launch time! :toot:

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Would anyone be opposed to a passworded goon-only server? There's been a large amount of pubbies since launch and I don't think there's any reserved slot systems out there yet.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

jerkstoresup posted:

It's odd being the only black-armored marine in some servers. :dukedog:

As a comm it'll be insta-win city for me most days now. The difference between having an experienced comm vs not is massive. :smugdog:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played a bunch tonight with some friends, was a blast. But I did notice something that bothered me. Dunno if this is generally accepted behavior in NS or if its just a bunch of newbies doing it but when one side loses an early game advantage I've noticed a good half of the time the entire team will just flat out loving move to the ready room to try to end the game instantly. Pretty lame.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I, Butthole posted:

Running at 1920x1080 with everything on low still produces a whopping 14fps in menus (6fps in game!) with a Geforce 560 1GB, with a quad-core 3Ghz and 16GB of RAM. I just wanna play the game and be able to distinguish aliens properly, which is really loving hard when the shadows/effects that make them 'pop' have to be turned off.

I'm running a similar rig, 660Ti, i5 3.3Ghz and 16GB of RAM (my old card was a 560 GT) and it's running everything flawlessly on high at 1920x1080; there's something off with your hardware.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Played a bunch tonight with some friends, was a blast. But I did notice something that bothered me. Dunno if this is generally accepted behavior in NS or if its just a bunch of newbies doing it but when one side loses an early game advantage I've noticed a good half of the time the entire team will just flat out loving move to the ready room to try to end the game instantly. Pretty lame.

This happened a lot in NS1. I didn't run into it tonight thankfully.

Just finished up a couple hours of gaming with a friend and it's a blast. I won every game I played Comm! Though, several of those rounds seemed like the other team didn't know what the hell was going on so we were basically picking on the new kid. :smith: Really fun, but there's some issues on my friends' end. He's getting a good frame rate but random crashes. No clue what that's all about.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It also happens in NS1 and depending on server culture is sometimes a bannable offense. On the servers I frequented they all had the return to ready room function (F4) disabled.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Liku posted:

I'm running a similar rig, 660Ti, i5 3.3Ghz and 16GB of RAM (my old card was a 560 GT) and it's running everything flawlessly on high at 1920x1080; there's something off with your hardware.

Don't know what, then. Borderlands 2 runs on high with PhysX enabled at 40+fps, the Hitman preorder thing plays on high at 50fps, but with everything on low at a lower resolution than desktop this plummets to sub-10? What could it be?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Finally got around to playing several hours of this. I was really skeptical that UWE was going to pull it off up until the last 6 months where they seem to have got it all together. I think the end result works and I'm happy for them to be able to finally release the game.

That said, it could have used at least another months of polishing: cleaner/more efficient server browser with proper favorites/history, a real tutorial/more hand-holding for new players, improved netcode, and a few other performance issues that still persist. Although at this point delaying the game might have been worse in terms of attracting players due to stiffer competition, and that's stuff they can still fix and probably won't turn off too many players so it worked out.

My thoughts so far just relative to NS1:

- Marine (and Alien) Movement: I really miss glide-jumping :( I've been so ingrained in strafe+turn+jump+crouch that it just feels weird when it doesn't work. It's something I'll get used to. I understand they were trying to lower the skill ceilings, it physically never made sense and was a "bug" so I'm not berating them about it, I just miss really miss it and was a huge unique part of NS1 for me.

- Individual Res/Buying your own stuff works really well. I am probably in the minority that I really enjoyed Combat for pubbing [before retarded admins added stupid /xmenu poo poo] (and they could have done so much more with CO which is a drat shame). So I've found the hybridized version to be great so far.

- Alien Commander/Tech Points: It seems they've made both the teams very similar and I'm kind of on the fence about it. I understand they wanted to make things easy for new Alien players by having a commander (and also cuts down on whose going to save for a hive, drop an RT, etc); but, on the other hand that means you also need to have a good Alien commander or else you're probably worse off than NS1-style of Kharaa. Similarly, Tech Points feel like "Hive for Marines" and I'm not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet but it's a step towards symmetry.

- Skulk: Playing skulk is still just as frustrating as it was in NS1 due to an even worse bite cone/hitbox with a smaller skill ceiling to boot. Changes to having auto-leap on right click built into the game are nice, although you could script that in NS1 so it's not too much different. Marines are just so much more fun so I am still a proud Marine stacking whore and this doesn't effect me much. Death to all Skulks!

- Lerk: Honestly, Flayra had it right the first time when they removed Spikes from Lerk in NS1 so I don't know why they opted to put it back in. I guess they have uses to pick off structures from afar if Marines are dumb and never heard of a pistol. I'd rather just have Bite+Spore from the getgo. I really dig the changes to Spore/Umbra in terms of how they're deployed, so some serious props for that. I do find Bite is a bit harder to land and less effective than NS1, but overall Lerk is still my favorite Alien in NS2 and glad to see it's not horribly neutered.

- Flamethrower: This thing was garbage except to clear out Cysts. Even then, I'd rather have a GL. I don't see why commanders ever bother to research this. For any close range combat, I'd much prefer a shotgun. I've tried JP+Flamethrower too and still found it to be really bad compared to a SG. Conceptually, Flamethrower is flawed for this sort of game which is why they also removed it from NS1 in the first place and it's another example of moving a step backwards. It's one of those things that is cool in theory, but there isn't a good way to balance this weapon.

I could go on, but there's also a ton of cool little touches here and there such as being able to select all your Alien upgrades and evolve at once, and the neat way Phase Gates work now. Graphics are surprisingly good and the game is a ton more atmospheric than NS1. Good job Charlie!

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 31, 2012

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Brackhar posted:

As a comm it'll be insta-win city for me most days now. The difference between having an experienced comm vs not is massive. :smugdog:

My marines were too busy playing with the aliens in the alien hive, go to the waypoint to defend/build an extractor :argh:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm off work sick today and just realised Natural Selection 2 is out today. I'm psyched. Gonna download it like NOW and give some thoughts after extensive playtesting :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Having an issue getting my voice key to rebind back to Capslock. I keep setting it, then the moment I leave that screen, it is back to Left Alt. Any idea what's up?

• Locked thread