Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Skulk 3, Xenocide, makes you explode, where you do lots of damage to everything around you.

Lerk has gas abilities: Spore and umbra. Spore (green) does damage to non-Exo'ed marines if they enter your cloud. Umbra (yellow) protects aliens in the cloud, I don't know the exact protective effect it has in NS2.

I wasn't sure if Xenocide/Umbra are active in the game yet.

edit:

voltron lion force posted:

What do the clots that Gorges put down do? Make the creep expand faster?

Clots are obstructions. They can be used as cover, to block doors/halls, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So, a few thoughts after a 4 hour run last night...

Early game sulking to find the marine hivebase can pay off really well, less so for Marines doing the same thing, since it is difficult to take down a hive with the axes.

I like the move to a khammander model for aliens. Paired with an early gorge, they can take over a large portion of the map fast. Especially if the celerity /adrenaline upgrade is researched first. The marine commander is basically relegated to having Marines do his work for him until he gets MACS. And on that note, early welders really speed up the expansion, though builders get boned for later exos on personal points.

I think there are definitely some balance changes to be made (skulks ripping apart a lonely travelling exo?), but for now the game feels amazing, and brings back oodles of memories from those years of ns1.04. :)

And if you are installing today, hit training mode and load the trainer map in explore mode. This not only precaches everything so you load future maps faster, but it will get you familiar with both commander interfaces in a nice safe environment. I plan to spend a while going about as a marine commander tonight since it seems a fair number of people do not have a mic. Makes commanding easier, I think.

Edit: umbra blocks half of all bullets, is negated by flame as mentioned earlier. Onos + lerk umbra + gorge healing = rape train. Side note: gorge running? Sticks his tongue out like a dog. Amazing.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 31, 2012

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Ah the ranged attack on Skulk is the parasite, good to know thought it was just a lovely ranged damager.

Guesticles posted:

Lerk has gas abilities: Spore and umbra. Spore (green) does damage to non-Exo'ed marines if they enter your cloud. Umbra (yellow) protects aliens in the cloud, I don't know the exact protective effect it has in NS2.

The NS2 Wiki seems to indicate that Umbra causes 50% chance to miss with guns or take half damage?

quote:

Function: Launches a cloud which disintegrates 1 out of 2 bullets for affected friendly players and structures; Umbra effect briefly lingers on friendly players and structures after exiting area of effect.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Ramagamma posted:

Probably not. I've got the exact same problem. Except now it doesn't even let me get into the Ready Room, it just straight up timeouts on the loading screen.

Its really depressing that we as gamers have reached the point where products not working on day one is the standard.

I've played 900 hours of ns2 without any major problems. As have the majority of players. Relax, the game is great, have some patience and let us help troubleshoot, or post on the tech support forum. The team is working constantly to make the game better and more playable. The had people fixing bugs last night during their launch party.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

I think there are definitely some balance changes to be made (skulks ripping apart a lonely travelling exo?)

I actually think this is intended, and it's a good balance choice. Exosuits are meant to be weaker if they aren't supported. During one of the casts or streams or interviews I think Charlie mentioned that he hadn't exactly anticipated exos being weak against skulks, but once it happened, he really liked it.

I like it, too. Exos are already designed to require support in the form of weld-trains, so it just means the weld-trains will also need to be somewhat proficient and cleaning up skulks. I think it worked out rather well. The only real balance issue with exos is that they are close to useless in competitive play because jetpacks scale so well with skill and exos are almost always too expensive to be a good choice.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 31, 2012

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

The Donut posted:

For all those having performance issues try these things:

1. Update your drivers (doing this increased my performance massively)

2. If you're running an nvidia card create a profile for ns2 (if there isn't one already there) and make sure it is set to use your graphics card (sometimes it isn't and will try and run the game off of your motherboards graphics card if you have one). Also set your graphics card to maximum performance on this profile (sometimes, for some reason, at least with previous builds, ns2 wouldn't use the GPU fully but this might be a non issue with the retail release).

3. Switch off Vsync, max out your monitors refresh rate (or buy a 120hz monitor because they are awesome)

4. Reduce your resolution, turn off all the bells and whistles (aa, ambient occlusion, shadows, etc.) and slap on multicore rendering and the texture thingy (I forget what it's called - texture preloading?)

5. Something to remember is that, as others have pointed out, on your first time playing new maps the load time will be quite high as it precaches loads of stuff. It will also do this whilst playing the map and you might get some hitching every now and then. After this first time the maps should run smoothly and the load times should be good.

One more thing; bring up the console (with `) and type in r_stats 1. This will show your fps and how much your CPU or GPU are struggling. What you should be paying attention to are the two top lines which have GPU ms and the ms by the fps. The first is how much your CPU is bottlenecking the game, the second is how much your GPU is bottlenecking it.

If your GPU ms is high, and your performance is bad, you might be GPU bound (or it could be a driver issue). If your first one is high then you might be CPU bound.

I run this game at max settings at around 80-100ish fps as a marine and maybe 60-80ish as an alien. I get maybe 1 to 2 GPU ms in fights, and maybe 10 or so CPU ms, but it's still really smooth.

My specs are i7-965, 4GB RAM, Geforce 560ti

Hope this helps someone.

This makes no sense to me.

Specs: GTX 680
i7 3770k (3.9ghz)
Shitloads of RAM

When I do training mode summit (exploration), my GPU MS is like 5-6 when looking at infestation. 70fps.

I have everything on high except Ambient Occlusion, which is at medium.

Anyone else having similar weirdness? I fail to see how someone with a 560 can be outperforming my 680...

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Bar Mitzvah posted:

i7 3770k (3.9ghz)
Shitloads of RAM

When I do training mode summit (exploration), my GPU MS is like 5-6 when looking at infestation. 70fps.

Anyone else having similar weirdness? I fail to see how someone with a 560 can be outperforming my 680...

Make sure your video driver is completely up-to-date. Also I wouldn't use exploration mode as any sort of benchmark because it's only recently been not-broken and a whole lot of things that drive actual performance aren't going on in exploration mode.

e: Also, 70fps is more than playable, so...

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

octoroon posted:

Make sure your video driver is completely up-to-date. Also I wouldn't use exploration mode as any sort of benchmark because it's only recently been not-broken and a whole lot of things that drive actual performance aren't going on in exploration mode.

Similar stuff happens in servers with 100% performance, and my driver is up to date. Really weird.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bar Mitzvah posted:

i7 3770k (3.9ghz)
Shitloads of RAM

AO is a huge performance hit, try turning it off and see if it helps

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

AO is a huge performance hit, try turning it off and see if it helps

Turning it off seems to buy me like ~8 fps in areas with lots of infestation. This game must be a beast if it's even giving a 680 trouble.

Thanks for the advice though.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah AO has always been hugely expensive icing, it's fully possible that some combination of AO with the new infestation goes batshit on performance. If you're getting 70fps with AO turned on as your worst-case scenario there's really no reason to complain.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

DelphiAegis posted:

I think there are definitely some balance changes to be made (skulks ripping apart a lonely travelling exo?)

octoroon posted:

I actually think this is intended, and it's a good balance choice. Exosuits are meant to be weaker if they aren't supported. During one of the casts or streams or interviews I think Charlie mentioned that he hadn't exactly anticipated exos being weak against skulks, but once it happened, he really liked it.

I like it, too. Exos are already designed to require support in the form of weld-trains, so it just means the weld-trains will also need to be somewhat proficient and cleaning up skulks. I think it worked out rather well. The only real balance issue with exos is that they are close to useless in competitive play because jetpacks scale so well with skill and exos are almost always too expensive to be a good choice.

Definitely. You should not be a lonely traveling Exo. You should also not be a lonely traveling Onos, most of the time. The Onos + Gorge and Exo + MAC or welder marine duo works together like a heavy/medic combo in TF2.

If you want to be a rambo, you're a fade or a JP marine.

Edit: It's not obvious but you can use the welder to repair the armor of basic marines, too. So if you grab a welder and you're with a group and someone takes a skulk bite or bile bomb and lives, be a bro and weld 'em back up.

I put around 30 hours into the beta in the months leading up to release and I felt kinda bad playing last night with all the new guys. For three hours or so I played Kharaa on mineshaft, two hours as commander, jumping in when the new guy commander would get bored or want to try something else. Because the new player marine team we were up against didn't really know how to put pressure on us we always had a crapload of res and I just gave them all Onos eggs and let them run around wreaking havoc. I also dropped shades on literally everything I built around the map, so wandering marines didn't even know how infested 80% of the map was.

There were multiple games where I had 11 res nodes and there was just nothing to spend res on. The alien team I was leading to victory had a great first experience though. :3:

Aphal fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 31, 2012

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

jerkstoresup posted:

It's odd being the only black-armored marine in some servers. :dukedog:

I was a beta tester/adopter and should have this and the game soundtrack, but have no idea where to find them lol.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Liku posted:

I'm running a similar rig, 660Ti, i5 3.3Ghz and 16GB of RAM (my old card was a 560 GT) and it's running everything flawlessly on high at 1920x1080; there's something off with your hardware.

This happened a lot in NS1. I didn't run into it tonight thankfully.

Just finished up a couple hours of gaming with a friend and it's a blast. I won every game I played Comm! Though, several of those rounds seemed like the other team didn't know what the hell was going on so we were basically picking on the new kid. :smith: Really fun, but there's some issues on my friends' end. He's getting a good frame rate but random crashes. No clue what that's all about.

Some of us were talking earlier in the thread about framerates locked at 30. Well it seems like the game runs great when I'm not around other people, usually up around 60FPS. Then the more players I get close to, the more it drops and actually hangs out at around 28-30 FPS, and never really makes it back up to 60fps. I was using my resource monitor but nothing seemed to max out, I wonder if its just the game?

Also running 660Ti, 8 GB of Ram, 1055T CPU.

Downward Spiral
Nov 25, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After playing a few hours:
I don't believe that Flayra ever really warmed up to the competitive community, even with the constellation & pt program. So much in the way of quality of life stuff is just ignored and so much intentionally excised that I have trouble saying it's really a straight improvement.

The maps are really pretty though, and have always been the strong suit of Natural Selection and with a newer engine they're now downright gorgeous. Can't take that away from the game.

But a lot of the small stuff - no ease of multiple bindings (gotta dig through an .xml to find the names of all your commands), no FPS cap, intentional removal of old aircontrol, giant loving waypoint&scan sprites even worse than the original at times, terrible minimap effects in a game that was about staring at your minimap a lot, even more structures to manually bite down - they all seem like the great playability of the original just wasn't in the forefront of anyone's mind.

It's a shame, and I hate sounding like a nostalgic oldtimer, but a rekindling of the original with it's actual weaknesses ironed out a bit could have been much more enticing. What I see right now somehow manages to be both less deep and less accessible than the previous iteration - what with more buffs/debuffs/counterbuffs flying around, personal resource as well as team resource to worry about and tons more structures to maintain or chomp down but the actual conflict in the end being even more straightforward than before.

tl;dr: Lots of the old poo poo was miles better. Pres is largely pointless and so are a large swath of NS2 gimmicks.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

StuntKid posted:

Some of us were talking earlier in the thread about framerates locked at 30. Well it seems like the game runs great when I'm not around other people, usually up around 60FPS. Then the more players I get close to, the more it drops and actually hangs out at around 28-30 FPS, and never really makes it back up to 60fps. I was using my resource monitor but nothing seemed to max out, I wonder if its just the game?

Also running 660Ti, 8 GB of Ram, 1055T CPU.

I've got similar specs except an i5 cpu and I'm regularly clocking 55-60 fps everywhere with everything on high.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Xaris posted:

- Marine (and Alien) Movement: I really miss glide-jumping :( I've been so ingrained in strafe+turn+jump+crouch that it just feels weird when it doesn't work. It's something I'll get used to. I understand they were trying to lower the skill ceilings, it physically never made sense and was a "bug" so I'm not berating them about it, I just miss really miss it and was a huge unique part of NS1 for me.

- Lerk: Honestly, Flayra had it right the first time when they removed Spikes from Lerk in NS1 so I don't know why they opted to put it back in. I guess they have uses to pick off structures from afar if Marines are dumb and never heard of a pistol. I'd rather just have Bite+Spore from the getgo. I really dig the changes to Spore/Umbra in terms of how they're deployed, so some serious props for that. I do find Bite is a bit harder to land and less effective than NS1, but overall Lerk is still my favorite Alien in NS2 and glad to see it's not horribly neutered.

Regarding glide-jumping, it's been replaced by a new system that not many new players know about. If you jump onto a wall and then immediately jump off of it you'll increase your speed.

As for lerk, if you're using spikes to kill structures that's probably not the best use of time. They're much more effective at strafing targets or softening them up as you divebomb for a bite. They also parasite targets, making them visible to your allies through walls.

Guesticles posted:

Clots are obstructions. They can be used as cover, to block doors/halls, or both.

One of the best uses for clots is to completely surround your upgrade nodes (Shells, Spurs, etc.) so that it's harder for marines to come in and snipe them.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Second game played, second server crash after 40 minutes :argh:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Downward Spiral posted:

After playing a few hours:
I don't believe that Flayra ever really warmed up to the competitive community, even with the constellation & pt program. So much in the way of quality of life stuff is just ignored and so much intentionally excised that I have trouble saying it's really a straight improvement.

The maps are really pretty though, and have always been the strong suit of Natural Selection and with a newer engine they're now downright gorgeous. Can't take that away from the game.

But a lot of the small stuff - no ease of multiple bindings (gotta dig through an .xml to find the names of all your commands), no FPS cap, intentional removal of old aircontrol, giant loving waypoint&scan sprites even worse than the original at times, terrible minimap effects in a game that was about staring at your minimap a lot, even more structures to manually bite down - they all seem like the great playability of the original just wasn't in the forefront of anyone's mind.

It's a shame, and I hate sounding like a nostalgic oldtimer, but a rekindling of the original with it's actual weaknesses ironed out a bit could have been much more enticing. What I see right now somehow manages to be both less deep and less accessible than the previous iteration - what with more buffs/debuffs/counterbuffs flying around, personal resource as well as team resource to worry about and tons more structures to maintain or chomp down but the actual conflict in the end being even more straightforward than before.

tl;dr: Lots of the old poo poo was miles better. Pres is largely pointless and so are a large swath of NS2 gimmicks.

No offense, but this isn't some sort of deliberate slight to the competitive community. Sorry that you're asshurt over some perceived injustice from NS1 or whatever but NS2 has been playing the competitive angle hard as they can, and they're planning a lot of convenience features post-release that were simply not priority for 1.0. Only reason we even have a decent spectator system for gamecasting is because someone modded it in.

Also I can specifically call bullshit on at least your point on air control, because someone on the forums awhile back did a video-recorded side by side test of NS1 vs NS2 and air control is actually MORE responsive in NS2. Watch a few casts of some competitive games, there is a huge difference between a skulk who can evade, a marine who can evade, and one who can't.

Sorry you don't like NS2, but it sounds like you'd mostly made up your mind before even trying it, so that's too bad.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

octoroon posted:

the only problem I have with Exos being easy for aliens to counter is how difficult Onos is to counter for marines, for the same res. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of regeneration ability for Exos as long as they are in a powered room. Or the ability to climb out of an exo and weld it yourself.

I miss my HA and HMG/JP combo.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

really pumped about this game, fun memories of playing the original.

However, 0 servers load up for me. That is to say, no matter how I tweak the search, NOTHING shows up in the server list. Trying to "quick play" will just leave the system idling. I gave up and canceled the search after about 7 minutes of no hits.

Running an exploratory game, just to get an eye for the map, graphics, controls, etc., got me to some pre-caching screen at which point the game blackscreened and I had to Force quit the game.

I have seen a lot of talk about issue #2, but does anyone know what is up with issue #1?

Also, seconding some earlier comments that its a sad state of affairs that this sort of thing is what should be expected on Launch day.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

assfro posted:

However, 0 servers load up for me. That is to say, no matter how I tweak the search, NOTHING shows up in the server list. Trying to "quick play" will just leave the system idling. I gave up and canceled the search after about 7 minutes of no hits.

Running an exploratory game, just to get an eye for the map, graphics, controls, etc., got me to some pre-caching screen at which point the game blackscreened and I had to Force quit the game.

I have seen a lot of talk about issue #2, but does anyone know what is up with issue #1?

Also, seconding some earlier comments that its a sad state of affairs that this sort of thing is what should be expected on Launch day.

Yeah same for me right now, was working fine a couple hours ago though.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

assfro posted:

Steam went down briefly, and took the servers down with it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

eggsovereasy posted:

I've only played games as the aliens so far and have lost every game. Is there a balance issue or have I just gotten unlucky in the 5 or 6 games I've played.

I'm really bad at landing bites or it takes way too many bites to kill a human, I'm guessing it's the former though.

From what I saw yesterday, a lot of it is that all the new players are joining aliens (understandable since they've played plenty of other games where your run around with a gun) and the teams end up stacked against aliens. Hopefully it will even out in the future and you won't see 90% of the green names on one team.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

octoroon posted:

Also I can specifically call bullshit on at least your point on air control, because someone on the forums awhile back did a video-recorded side by side test of NS1 vs NS2 and air control is actually MORE responsive in NS2. Watch a few casts of some competitive games, there is a huge difference between a skulk who can evade, a marine who can evade, and one who can't.

I'm pretty sure that when people talk about air control they mean bunnyhopping

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Bar Mitzvah posted:

i7 3770k (3.9ghz)
Shitloads of RAM

I have a similar setup except my i7 is much older and I maxed out every graphics option I could find and it runs perfectly with no slowdowns anywhere. I'm fairly certain my video drivers are out of date too since I haven't updated them since July or so.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mistermojo posted:

I'm pretty sure that when people talk about air control they mean bunnyhopping

Well, air control specifically with regards to changing momentum in midair is more responsive in NS2. With regards to bunnyhopping, gently caress it. That's been done over so much that it's practically a trope in these threads. The new system may need some tweaking but if anyone can't see that it's an improvement over a purely coincidental bug in the HL1 engine then I don't know what to say.

Vatek posted:

I have a similar setup except my i7 is much older and I maxed out every graphics option I could find and it runs perfectly with no slowdowns anywhere. I'm fairly certain my video drivers are out of date too since I haven't updated them since July or so.

He's saying he gets 70fps when staring at infestation, which by no stretch of the imagination should be negatively impacting actual gameplay experience. Yes, it's a slowdown, but it's not a serious performance complaint. 70fps is more than playable, just don't stare at FPS counters while you play. It's bad for the psyche.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 31, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

But see, now that they've taken out bunnyhopping, there is nothing that separates them from the newbies!

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
My only issue against NS2 is Fades. gently caress Fades. It doesn't seem like there's a reliable way to take them out, so if any alien player knows how to play a Fade, marines are just straight up hosed. It doesn't even seem like Onos are as difficult to deal with as Fades. It just seems crazy.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Vatek posted:

I may be the odd one out here, but I have an i7 with an nvidia 460m, and I've been trying to play this on Windows 8, but it seems to die on me after 10-15 minutes when I'm trying to respawn. Strangely, I can successfully respawn 3-4 times before that, but it will eventually get to the point where it just crashes on me while I'm staring at my dude at the respawn point.

Any ideas, or could it just be windows 8?

I downloaded the most recent drivers from the NVidia website about 4 hours ago.

Guesticles posted:

But see, now that they've taken out bunnyhopping, there is nothing that separates them from the newbies!

Well, I suppose there's always aimbotting. I have no idea how that would work in this game, though.

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 31, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

My only issue against NS2 is Fades. gently caress Fades. It doesn't seem like there's a reliable way to take them out, so if any alien player knows how to play a Fade, marines are just straight up hosed. It doesn't even seem like Onos are as difficult to deal with as Fades. It just seems crazy.

Fades have no hard-counter, but can be quickly forced to retreat by equally-skilled shotgunners and the occasional flamethrower makes them significantly less mobile. Fades just happen to be one of the highest skill-capped gameplay elements, so yeah, a good Fade is absolutely and intentionally scary.

Lurking291230 posted:

I may be the odd one out here, but I have an i7 with an nvidia 460m, and I've been trying to play this on Windows 8, but it seems to die on me after 10-15 minutes when I'm trying to respawn. Strangely, I can successfully respawn 3-4 times before that, but it will eventually get to the point where it just crashes on me while I'm staring at my dude at the respawn point.

Any ideas, or could it just be windows 8?

I downloaded the most recent drivers from the NVidia website about 4 hours ago.

There is every possibility that it is just Windows 8. Judging by some tweets awhile back, UWE has not had any chance to do testing on Windows 8 yet. Definitely post a report on the official forums.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 31, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I really think flame throwers should be able to hit blinking fades.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Have you checked ns2.exe process memory usage before it crashes? That would be my first thought atleast, otherwise could be Windows 8. I've never heard of that issue in beta.

PS: Don't use Windows 8

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Guesticles posted:

I really think flame throwers should be able to hit blinking fades.

I think anything should be able to hit blinking Fades. The blink mechanic just seems off-kilter balance-wise right now.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Demitri Omni posted:

Make sure your group of marines has at least three players in it if there are fades in play. If everyone focus fires you should be able to at least repel the fade. If the fade keeps coming in I like to have a guy with a shotgun by the chokepoint exit they are likely to run away through for a little ambush action to finish them off. That and of course having a flame thrower will sap the poo poo out of their energy and movements.

pilot13
Jul 8, 2010
I used to play a lot of NS1 and so far I'm loving 2. I didn't play much of the beta because the performance was all over the place, but it seems fine at the moment. I did get a really choppy framrate, but turning off texture streaming seemed to help.

Commanders seem to be a bit hit or miss. I commanded one game and won simply just by spamming medpacks and ammo everywhere so I'm a bit nonplussed as to why so many other commanders dont do that.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

I think anything should be able to hit blinking Fades. The blink mechanic just seems off-kilter balance-wise right now.

Everything else can hit blinking fades. Don't stop shooting at them while they're blinking thinking that they're immune, that's a rookie mistake.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Fades don't have their get-out-of-jail-free card anymore (feign death) and are easier to kill in NS2 than NS1 from what I remember. A good fade is a terror in games filled with newbies, but they aren't very effective going up against groups of shotgunners. I think it's just two point blank shotgun blasts needed to kill them.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Demitri Omni posted:

I think if they could be hit by anything mid-blink they would need a buff to health/armor, as fades do need a way to bug out. It would be nice there was some way to differentiate a "retreating" and "attacking" blink, and have the retreating blink be immune.

Mainly, I say only flamers because they are a great fade counter, and I think making it so they could hit blinking fades would really solidify that. It would also let you hit an advancing fade, reducing their effective time, or when used against a retreating fade low on energy, maybe cause them to drop out of blink where teammates could finish them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Is there a goon steam group for NS2 besides http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2goons/ ?

• Locked thread