Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

And I was wrong about the gorge running. He's actually skiing. Just hurls himself forwards and goes dead. Moves you fast down infected hallways for a bit of energy. Also it's kind of cute seeing the tongue stick out. :allears:

It's even better than that, he's actually sliding on his belly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maji
Jun 24, 2004

How does that feel?
I played the original back in the day, and it is quite tempting to try this one too. Is anyone interested in splitting a steam 4 pack? If I find 3 others, I will purchase and we can do paypal. I have done this on SA with torchlight II, and bioshock II.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

I'm seeing a LOT of teamstacking going on. It's kind of annoying. Team colours of green vs white half the time.

I am also seeing this sometimes, and it really is frustrating when you have three shotgun marines running around your hive camping kills while the comm drops them medpacks/ammo. All the aliens just complain about how hosed they are and don't have a fun time, and the same players just join marines over and over.

(But as whiskas said, it doesn't color code the other team)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

The gorge belly slide is fun. If you turn smoothly enough you can actually get around corners without slowing down.

2 Fast 2 Furious : Kharaa Drift

Mod inspiration: Gorge racing! If you get far enough ahead, you can throw globs in your opponents way!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AgentF posted:

Had a newbie jump into alien comm and start learning how it works, with me giving him advice about it all. Unfortunately it was Veil with Pipeline hive, and the team wasn't organised enough to defend Cargo so it all kinda fell apart. But still the new guy went from knowing literally nothing to claiming res nodes, getting a second hive, researching leap, getting other upgrades. I feel like a proud father.

Mostly everything about the Marines is spoon fed from the Commander, Aliens don't have to help build and are basically on the offensive the whole time getting intel from the Commander. Bad Marines can win with a good Comm, but Aliens need good players and a good Comm, which right now isn't the easiest to come by.

I loving love Commanding though, it's so fun teching my team up and telling them to do stuff. I enjoy the Marine Commanding more than the Aliens since it's a bit more involved. I hate playing Skulk though so going Comm or Gorge is all I tend to do now. Loving this game so far.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

While on the topic of the Gorge, I highly recommend this mod to further increase your Gorge gameplay.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103989734

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I do love how gorges get to clog hallways with giant boogers. At one point our team had 4 of them so the hive entrance looked like an alien WW1 trench.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Liku posted:

Also, I was in Pipeline on Veil with no power so it was completely dark. One of us had a flashlight on and it was loving impossible to see through. I turned mine on and it just illuminated everything as you'd expect, but it seems like the light that comes out of other players just turns to a pea-soup dense fog that made it nearly impossible to see. I can't imagine if we all had our lights, none of use would have been able to see at all.

I've noticed this too, I'd kind of got used to it but thinking about it I can't really imagine it being intended behaviour. Having 3 or 4 marines in a dark room with their flashlights on makes a virtually impenetrable wall of fog.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Please update the OP to explain:

1) Fades and blinking
2) Lerk spore cloud/umbra
3) Skulk parasite
4) Gorge clogs
5) Onos charge
6) Exosuit HMGs

and probably a lot of other things.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

BlueDestiny posted:

I do love how gorges get to clog hallways with giant boogers. At one point our team had 4 of them so the hive entrance looked like an alien WW1 trench.

Those stay up even if you get killed or evolve into something else, too. For a quick 10 resource if you aren't doing much else with it, it can be hilarious to clog up so much. Or just leave random hydras on ceilings and places. If you can spit it, you can do it!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

Those stay up even if you get killed or evolve into something else, too. For a quick 10 resource if you aren't doing much else with it, it can be hilarious to clog up so much. Or just leave random hydras on ceilings and places. If you can spit it, you can do it!

Actually, they slowly die once you switch off. Well, hydras do. I'm not really sure about clogs.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does the quick connect feature work at all? It seems to sit there way too long.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

rt4 posted:

Does the quick connect feature work at all? It seems to sit there way too long.

You're better off just finding your own server, the browser is super fast and works really well once you get all the filters setup the way you like them.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Really enjoying this game so far.

I'm curious as to how much of a gameplay advantage is gained by turning off all the eye candy? For instance, if the lights go out they still go out for someone running on the lowest settings right?

I've found that the biggest limiting factor for frame rate, at least for ATI cards, seems to be the resolution. I can run just about everything at 1920x1080 on my HD7770 as long as I turn off anti-aliasing. NS2 runs at about 30fps at that resolution, dropping it down to 1600x900 just about doubles the framerate. No other eye candy settings seem to have as much effect as resolution. I never bothered trying to turn on anti-aliasing or ambient occlusion.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

InterFaced posted:

Really enjoying this game so far.

I'm curious as to how much of a gameplay advantage is gained by turning off all the eye candy? For instance, if the lights go out they still go out for someone running on the lowest settings right?

I've found that the biggest limiting factor for frame rate, at least for ATI cards, seems to be the resolution. I can run just about everything at 1920x1080 on my HD7770 as long as I turn off anti-aliasing. NS2 runs at about 30fps at that resolution, dropping it down to 1600x900 just about doubles the framerate. No other eye candy settings seem to have as much effect as resolution. I never bothered trying to turn on anti-aliasing or ambient occlusion.

Yeah, lights go out regardless of settings.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Gosh this game is great. Needs to be a NS2 goon group though, bad.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CrunchyTaco posted:

Gosh this game is great. Needs to be a NS2 goon group though, bad.

There used to be one but it kinda died during the beta when the goon servers went down.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Guesticles posted:

That could be fun, a 1-person predator team. You get points for killing people with the highest KtD ratios.

As long as its this guy. ("YOU'RE NEXT")

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I am having an issue wherein my server browser will not refresh after I attempt to join a full game. I have to completely reboot everything and wait 15-20 minutes until I can pull a list again.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Megaflare posted:

Actually, they slowly die once you switch off. Well, hydras do. I'm not really sure about clogs.

I'm pretty certain that they don't. They can even survive without being on infestation.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

SERPUS posted:

I am having an issue wherein my server browser will not refresh after I attempt to join a full game. I have to completely reboot everything and wait 15-20 minutes until I can pull a list again.

This might be a longshot, but make sure your bandwidth settings for Steam are correct. If you way overestimate your bandwidth, sometimes Steam will send too much info at once which has a habit of overloading not-so-great routers for awhile. Lowering your bandwidth in Steam settings will cause it not to send server data quite so fiercely.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

SERPUS posted:

Wierd enough i had this issue with another steam game, switching the server steam was working off of actually fixed it. A wierd longshot as well, but worth a shot!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Megaflare posted:

Couple of patches out of date. Now Hydras can live anywhere and dont need their gorge to keepgoing. If they're not on creep they won't grow/heal though, need a gorge to maintain them in that case. But they don't die.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

Couple of patches out of date. Now Hydras can live anywhere and dont need their gorge to keepgoing. If they're not on creep they won't grow/heal though, need a gorge to maintain them in that case. But they don't die.

Yeah, that happened around the same time that they became insanely easy to kill if I remember correctly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This game is fun! I just did 35-17ish as a skulk ankle biting around. I put in a short stint as onos but didn't earn many kills. After dodging and hopping around everwhere it just felt so sluggish so I went back to biting ankles.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Splicer posted:

Info on hydras which can be helpful in a pinch - A hydra will grow by itself if it is on infestation, but a gorge can heal it to make it grow faster. If there is no infestation, a gorge HAS to heal it to make it grow. If hydras are close together, usually you can just focus healing on one and they will all grow together. I'm not sure if placing hydras near crags makes them grow faster, but this would mean they are probably on infestation anyway, since crags need to be on infestation.

When pre-placing hydras, it is good to put them away from each other, but so they can all see each other. This means that a marine who walks into a room will get shot from 3 different directions all at the same time. It works especially well if you, as the gorge, clog wall yourself in the middle of a room and use yourself as the bait to try and get a marine to rush you. Just use heal spray to attack instead of spit (it will help keep you alive as well as do damage, plus you don't have to be as accurate as you do with spitting AND skulks/other gorges helping you close by also get healed).

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Combat mod is fun. Playing against Mendasp isn't.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Gorge's can also help speed up building hives and other structures by healspraying

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I know my rig is a bit old, I only have 2 gigs of ram, but I have a good processor and video card. Game runs like poo poo and constantly crashes.

The game lists 2 gigs on the minimal system specs, apparently after a brief read of the forum, this is a blatant lie. One of the devs even posted saying that the reason people crashed is because they did not have enough ram.

No problem with BF3, Skyrim or other modern games on high settings with a little tweaking :/.

Nice to be scammed out of $25.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

What processor and video card do you have?

8 GB of RAM will cost you something like $30 off Amazon or Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231548

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VarXX posted:

Gorge's can also help speed up building hives and other structures by healspraying

Does this really do anything for Hives though? The progress bar doesn't seem to go any faster if I Heal Spray it, but it will fill its' HP to max before it's done building.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Vertigus posted:

What processor and video card do you have?

8 GB of RAM will cost you something like $30 off Amazon or Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231548

The problem is not the cost, the problem is my motherboard does not have room for any more ram. I have a lovely motherboard.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Diogines posted:

The problem is not the cost, the problem is my motherboard does not have room for any more ram. I have a lovely motherboard.

I guarantee you you have room to replace your old sticks.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
If your team is doing exceptionally well (3 tech points, most upgrades, lots of pres all round) and it looks like things are stable and your team is most likely going to win, it's usually an excellent opportunity to hop out of the chair/hive and let a newbie try his hand at commanding. Then they can make a few mistakes and take their time while they learn how it all works without the pressure of early-game comming.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Liku posted:

Does this really do anything for Hives though? The progress bar doesn't seem to go any faster if I Heal Spray it, but it will fill its' HP to max before it's done building.

It should speed it up slightly

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Diogines posted:

If your motherboard is so old that the most you can fit (???) into it is 2GB and it absolutely won't accept any single stick 4GB or 8GB RAM, then your 'good' graphics card and processor aren't good and you've got bigger issues.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Diogines posted:

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Please post exactly what processor/GPU you have, and what the brand and model your motherboard is, and we can probably help to find you a cheap RAM upgrade. I don't think there's any such thing as a motherboard that supports a max 2 gigs of RAM and is compatible with a good CPU/GPU.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Dear UW, please give me some feedback when I bite someone. I literally cannot tell if a bite is actually hitting anything because it always plays the same sound.

PS, my mic doesn't work in this game and I have no idea why.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is there any trick to living longer as an evolved Alien so my points were wasted in evolving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

wolfman101 posted:

Dear UW, please give me some feedback when I bite someone. I literally cannot tell if a bite is actually hitting anything because it always plays the same sound.

PS, my mic doesn't work in this game and I have no idea why.

I seem to get damage number popups when I hurt someone, that's been enough for me.

• Locked thread