Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
speng31b
May 8, 2010

wolfman101 posted:

Dear UW, please give me some feedback when I bite someone. I literally cannot tell if a bite is actually hitting anything because it always plays the same sound.

PS, my mic doesn't work in this game and I have no idea why.

Turn on damage numbers?

Jon Joe posted:

Is there any trick to living longer as an evolved Alien so my points were wasted in evolving?

Hit and run, don't over commit, use vertical distance to confuse/evade where appropriate (skulk/lerk/fade), and if you're damaged don't push the attack, go back to the hive and heal. Focus on making yourself hard to hit, making sure you don't wedge yourself into a corner or against an obstacle where you become an easy target. Remember that everything in this game other than an Onos/Exosuit will die in a matter of a few seconds under sustained fire, so everything you do needs to be oriented around making it very hard for someone to track you with their mouse.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
See, the problem with damage numbers is that you can't see them half of the time because you are not going to be looking at the marine's chest while you bite him.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How do you heal on Gorge?

After playing Marines almost nonstop for 20+ games I switched to Aliens and oh god this is super complex, I have all these evolutions, and have to figure how to close in, and apparently have two different attacks on everything, and Gorge has like 6 buttons and auggh.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Liku posted:

Mostly everything about the Marines is spoon fed from the Commander, Aliens don't have to help build and are basically on the offensive the whole time getting intel from the Commander. Bad Marines can win with a good Comm, but Aliens need good players onos and a good Comm more onos, which right now isn't the easiest to come by happens in 5 minutes if aliens can get a few harvesters up fast.

Onos are currently so fast to get it's ridiculous. All the alien comm needs to do is expand quickly at the start of the game, get carapace and leap, then just sit around and wait for the inevitable onos rush.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

wolfman101 posted:

See, the problem with damage numbers is that you can't see them half of the time because you are not going to be looking at the marine's chest while you bite him.

Just play a little more and/or watch some videos and you'll get a good sense for what is connecting. It just takes practice and patience.

Bloodmobile posted:

Onos are currently so fast to get it's ridiculous. All the alien comm needs to do is expand quickly at the start of the game, get carapace and leap, then just sit around and wait for the inevitable onos rush.

All things being equal, marines should be having an easier time maintaining extractors for the early game than aliens. What you are talking about only happens in disorganized pubs where marines aren't given good orders/don't know how to play. Give it awhile for the general playerbase to figure out which direction is up and I can guarantee you'll see that things are actually quite balanced.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 1, 2012

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Rookersh posted:

How do you heal on Gorge?

After playing Marines almost nonstop for 20+ games I switched to Aliens and oh god this is super complex, I have all these evolutions, and have to figure how to close in, and apparently have two different attacks on everything, and Gorge has like 6 buttons and auggh.

Right click to heal.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

octoroon posted:

All things being equal, marines should be having an easier time maintaining extractors for the early game than aliens. What you are talking about only happens in disorganized pubs where marines aren't given good orders/don't know how to play. Give it awhile for the general playerbase to figure out which direction is up and I can guarantee you'll see that things are actually quite balanced.

Except all things aren't equal, an undeveloped skulk is more powerful than an undeveloped marine. So what makes marines more capable of maintaining extractors in early game?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

octoroon posted:

Just play a little more and/or watch some videos and you'll get a good sense for what is connecting. It just takes practice and patience.

I don't mean to be down on this game because I am having a lot of fun, but in the year of our lord 2012, there is not an excuse for not having good audio feedback for hitting something.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

I don't mean to be down on this game because I am having a lot of fun, but in the year of our lord 2012, there is not an excuse for not having good audio feedback for hitting something.

I'm sure it's something that's planned for post release, they have a lot of small things like this they just had to push back till after 1.0.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

wolfman101 posted:

There is a loud crunch sound when you bite someone as a skulk, what's the problem?

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

Except all things aren't equal, an undeveloped skulk is more powerful than an undeveloped marine. So what makes marines more capable of maintaining extractors in early game?

A marine has a ranged attack though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's surprisingly hard to hit a skulk that dropped down behind you because it was hiding on the wall behind you when you walked through a door.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bloodmobile posted:

By the time the Onos is in play Marines should have Exos if they have any idea what to do. Onos is pretty god drat squishy for what it is and will get massacred by heavier weapons and higher weapon levels.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

CrunchyTaco posted:

A marine has a ranged attack though.

The skulk and the gorge have ranged attacks, too. What's your point?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does the Parasite do 50 damage or something? I don't see how having Parasite counters the LMG.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ABC: Always Buy Welders. Coffee's for closers.

It makes me cringe when I see people shooting at cysts with an LMG, among other things that not having a welder screws you on.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

The skulk and the gorge have ranged attacks, too. What's your point?

The point is that a skulk that gets the drop on you will likely kill you, whereas a skulk that gets noticed from a distance gets shot to bits.

Comparing the power of a skulk to a marine is a moot point, when the question of who wins comes more down to tactics, positioning and teamwork.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Liku posted:

Does the Parasite do 50 damage or something? I don't see how having Parasite counters the LMG.

The parasite is indeed a counter to it, since the marine needs a clear line of sight to kill a skulk. Which is hard to do when the entire enemy team can see where you're moving and looking at.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

This is wrong.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Bloodmobile posted:

Well that's not quite correct, marines are stronger in groups. Since time immemorial, Natural Selection balance proceeds thusly:

1v1, slight skulk advantage
2v2, even
3v3, slight marine advantage

In NS2 there is the added dimension that at high levels of play, marines are actually better in ALL of these encounters. Skulks' main strength is strong use of parasite and ambush tactics.

But yeah, you are correct that when talking about players of lowish skill running around by themselves, skulks seem to have a slight advantage. Of course, that is not what Natural Selection is about. Add a little bit of teamwork and practiced aim and it becomes pretty clear that skulks don't hold up.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 1, 2012

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Bloodmobile posted:

The parasite is indeed a counter to it, since the marine needs a clear line of sight to kill a skulk. Which is hard to do when the entire enemy team can see where you're moving and looking at.

When you are parasited, you can get it removed by going to an armoury - keep this in mind if you are near a base and have killed the skulk that shot you before sneaking off to knife some alien upgrades or something.

We should work on a big list of things to add to the OP and hopefully also to suggest to add to whatever tutorials UWE are making, it would suck to have pertinent game play information which is just stuff for people who are 'in the know'.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Anyone know the range of a hydra, roughly?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Hope they continue to focus on optimization. To get acceptable fps when a full shitfest is going down at a hive assault or marine spawn with 18 players in the space place with flamers an onos I have to run with all the graphical options off except for shadows @ 1080p. The game still looks great but I run BF3 at almost maximum with Phenom 2 x4 3.4, 8gigs ram, 560ti.

Other than not having all the wizbang graphical options I'm impressed by the game. I was seriously concerned about the netcode from all the alpha footage but everything seems smooth as silk from my perspective. Stick with servers above 90% performance and it looks great. I played a ton of NS1 and I feel like this is worthy of the wait. Player base seems surprisingly cool to all the new dudes also.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 1, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
For people curious of tactics for skulking, lerking, fading, and marining, go ahead and watch this video http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337623861

It's 3 hours long and covers every lifeform as well as marine play. Everything is also played a high level, so you can see the tactics involved with parasiting before a kill, or fade blinking. Skip through it until you get to the lifeform or marine thing you want and watch for a few minutes.

A good example of advanced fading starts at 3:08:00

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 1, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Hope they continue to focus on optimization. To get acceptable fps when a full shitfest is going down at a hive assault or marine spawn with 18 players in the space place with flamers an onos I have to run with all the graphical options off except for shadows @ 1080p. The game still looks great but I run BF3 at almost maximum with Phenom 2 x4 3.4, 8gigs ram, 560ti.

Other than not having all the wizbang graphical options I'm impressed by the game. I was seriously concerned about the netcode from all the alpha footage but everything seems smooth as silk from my perspective. Stick with servers above 90% performance and it looks great.

Optimization and bugfixes, UI improvements are their main focuses going forward. They aren't adding any major new features. What you see is what you get, it's polish from here on out.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
The wall-climbing controls and just... the way it works, I guess, for aliens is absolutely awful. Is there any way to change the orientation of my view while climbing on walls/the ceiling or is it always going to be right-side-up? Can I somehow set a button that needs to be held or toggled in order to climb on walls? I looked through the options menu but didn't see anything about either of these issues.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

The wall-climbing controls and just... the way it works, I guess, for aliens is absolutely awful. Is there any way to change the orientation of my view while climbing on walls/the ceiling or is it always going to be right-side-up? Can I somehow set a button that needs to be held or toggled in order to climb on walls? I looked through the options menu but didn't see anything about either of these issues.

No, sorry. What you see is what you get. View doesn't rotate because this causes many people to become violently ill. I guess you can pitch the idea for a mod on the official forums if you don't like the way things work, but to me what you are proposing sounds "absolutely awful" and the way it currently works is smooth/intuitive. I doubt I'm alone in that sentiment -- needing to press a key to climb on wells and rotating the view would totally destroy skulks.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Are there many Ausgoons or NZgoons who would like a goon server? It wouldnt be private, but if we get quite a few regulars I could make it private for weekends or something. It would be hosted in Sydney.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

octoroon posted:

Optimization and bugfixes, UI improvements are their main focuses going forward. They aren't adding any major new features. What you see is what you get, it's polish from here on out.
That's not really right. Feign death and hypermutation are coming back at some point, they're going to add a railgun to the exosuit, babblers are planned for the Crag, and presumably there is other stuff in the works too.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

octoroon posted:

No, sorry. What you see is what you get. View doesn't rotate because this causes many people to become violently ill. I guess you can pitch the idea for a mod on the official forums if you don't like the way things work, but to me what you are proposing sounds "absolutely awful" and the way it currently works is smooth/intuitive. I doubt I'm alone in that sentiment -- needing to press a key to climb on wells and rotating the view would totally destroy skulks.

There are a lot of really unbearable things about the way it currently works. If you're running across the roof and you orient your view one degree too far downward, you fall off the roof. If you're running on a wall and you turn one degree too far away from the wall, you fall off. This severely limits your effective FoV as any kind of wall-bound alien which makes the team completely unplayable for me. I do not want to fall off of a roof or wall unless I press a button to make me fall off the roof or wall. It's impossible to judge whether or not you are hidden behind something on the roof because I have no way of knowing how much of my body sticks out below me. The changes that I am asking for are the way that it worked in NS1 as far as I can remember (I only played when the mod was fairly new, so maybe they changed later on).

On top of that, I'm experiencing a problem on every single server that I join where everything runs fine for two or three minutes, then there's some kind of connection error (red network cable icon appears on the left side of the HUD), all players freeze and things stop happening, but I can still run around and fire or attack things and their health actually depletes client-side. This never rights itself and I have to connect to a different server. It's not a problem with my connection and these are servers with 95%+ performance and <50ms ping :(

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Bloodmobile posted:

There is a loud crunch sound when you bite someone as a skulk, what's the problem?

I don't think the problem is even audio feedback, the general feedback is just sort of muted. The sound isn't that loud, whether it's you getting bitten or not, and the actual visual feedback is near-nonexistant compared to most games. A much more vivid visual cue or a slight screen shake would improve that. It's difficult to determine which direction an attack is coming from currently (for marines, not sure about Kharaa since I haven't played them much), and that's a huge problem in this sort of game.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

There are a lot of really unbearable things about the way it currently works. If you're running across the roof and you orient your view one degree too far downward, you fall off the roof. If you're running on a wall and you turn one degree too far away from the wall, you fall off. This severely limits your effective FoV as any kind of wall-bound alien which makes the team completely unplayable for me. I do not want to fall off of a roof or wall unless I press a button to make me fall off the roof or wall. It's impossible to judge whether or not you are hidden behind something on the roof because I have no way of knowing how much of my body sticks out below me. The changes that I am asking for are the way that it worked in NS1 as far as I can remember (I only played when the mod was fairly new, so maybe they changed later on).

On top of that, I'm experiencing a problem on every single server that I join where everything runs fine for two or three minutes, then there's some kind of connection error (red network cable icon appears on the left side of the HUD), all players freeze and things stop happening, but I can still run around and fire or attack things and their health actually depletes client-side. This never rights itself and I have to connect to a different server. It's not a problem with my connection and these are servers with 95%+ performance and <50ms ping :(

I don't know what to say about the wallrunning stuff, I have never heard anything like that sort of complaint about the system before. I've never had trouble sticking to walls or ceilings, granted you're not supposed to be crossing entire levels running entirely on walls. You jump up and around when you need to for positioning/evasion/ambush and then get down again, I would imagine it might be frustrating if you're playing as though you have to cling to a wall or ceiling 90% of the time. Anyhow, NS1 worked like NS2 does now, so you may be misremembering?

The connection issue seems to be a known problem and they're working on it.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's not really right. Feign death and hypermutation are coming back at some point, they're going to add a railgun to the exosuit, babblers are planned for the Crag, and presumably there is other stuff in the works too.

Right, that's true, I mostly just meant that they're not adding any crazy new features that weren't already planned.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 1, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

I completely disagree with everything you are saying and I am not new, so I'm hoping the more you play the more you will realize how intuitive and easy to learn it is. I emplore you to watch some videos of good skulks running around the walls and ceilings just to show how versatile it is. Also this problem of not sticking to the surface simply does not exist. you will learn to run at the correct angles that allow you to see everything around you as well as remain on the wall.

I know i keep linking my videos (sorry if this is getting annoying) but i think you should take a look at this http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337623861 skip to 1:25:46, and watch how the skulk uses the walls/ceilings to his advantage.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 1, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I do not like the way the silence upgrade works. Makes me think my sound is hosed up. Make the sfx a litte softer, but don't remove them completely. Other than that this game is pretty great. Playing Fade with adrenalin is amazingly fun. I found out the hard way not to evolve into one before blink is researched though because they're pretty much useless without it.

e: About the silence: I meant the sound that you hear while actually playing the alien. Obviously you should be silent to the enemy but removing the audio feedback of running, leaping and biting is lovely.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 1, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

voltron lion force posted:

I do not like the way the silence upgrade works. Makes me think my sound is hosed up. Make the sfx a litte softer, but don't remove them completely. Other than that this game is pretty great. Playing Fade with adrenalin is amazingly fun. I found out the hard way not to evolve into one before blink is researched though because they're pretty much useless without it.

e: About the silence: I meant the sound that you hear while actually playing the alien. Obviously you should be silent to the enemy but removing the audio feedback of running, leaping and biting is lovely.
A Peek Into a Future Where the Developers Listen to voltron lion force:

Another person with another perfectly viable opinion posted:

I don't like how the silence upgrade still makes noise. It was confusing to me when I first started because I didn't know I was literally silent when I was sneaking up on marines, and even now that I know what's up, I would prefer to be able to hear everything else even when I'd normally be making noise.

I think the version you want is actually the better choice in most respects, but you have to admit that it would be confusing as gently caress to all these poor new players who are already having their minds exploded by the 18,000 other unintuitive/difficult to learn parts of this game. For a generation raised on Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, and Counterstrike, NS2 has a lot of difficult stuff to swallow, and "I'm actually not making noise even though I'm making noise" would add another frustration onto the big pile of "how does this game even work."

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

For a generation raised on Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, and Counterstrike, NS2 has a lot of difficult stuff to swallow, and "I'm actually not making noise even though I'm making noise" would add another frustration onto the big pile of "how does this game even work."

If only they were raised on Call of Duty, Team Fortress Classic, and Counterstrike...

Those conc jumping skills were key!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Movement skills are in an entirely different category from understanding 20 complex things going on at once, but yeah it would be nice if everyone could bunnyhop.

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Movement skills are in an entirely different category from understanding 20 complex things going on at once, but yeah it would be nice if everyone could bunnyhop.

Not bunnyhopping, conc jumping! Much more fun.

My point is more that this generation may be too dumb to take in more feedback, but the older generation was probably just as dumb (and they were playing the same games). I think more feedback on biting would actually make the game easier, since currently if you don't have a good sense of it you need to scan for small numbers popping up. Something simple - even just the screen shuddering a bit - would be nice.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Aw, firetruck. Bought this knowing my laptop is pretty bad and probably wouldn't be able to play it, wondering how it'd pan out, just downloaded it and changed all the settings to off/minimal and it's still FPS 27 in the options screen. Didn't even bother trying to play.

Will have to wait another 8 months til I can justify springing for a desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Deluxe Edition stuff has been added. It's in Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\DeluxeEdition.

• Locked thread