Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I'm rather fond of biodome :3:

Before they added support for reflections to the glass, it was a confusing mess and people were endlessly walking into windows :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Not to downplay the work that's gone into it, but wow.. they somehow managed to suck out all the character from ns_eclipse. It looks exactly like descent etc.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w306WXduiqk

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 31, 2013

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Much rather have new maps than re-makes. Unless they majorly re-vamp the layout (and at that point, is it even the same map?) Veil has shown that plopping an NS1 map into NS2 is a terrible idea.

When I was testing they had majorly reworked the layout, so it does beg the question why call it eclipse if it neither looks or plays like it. Especially because it started out as a very faithful community map.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I playtested this game for 4 years, and the fatigue of playing the same thing over and over, and the performance just never getting to an acceptable standard just kind of killed it for me post release. I enjoyed seeing something get made and the iterations that the game went through, but it kind of killed my enthusiasm after so long. Also because of the way everything is cached, the initial loading times are like 5 minutes long after every patch, and I can't handle that poo poo.

UWE struggling with their engine really compromised their ability to concentrate on the game and deliver a product on time. Their lead coder was constantly focused on performance, for almost the entire development of the game. I really hope for whatever they are working on next, they ditch Spark. Because there are far better alternatives out there that didn't exist when UWE started NS2.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 24, 2013

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Keep in mind that UWE started developing this game years ago, before source had any technical upgrades. I was added to the playtest team when UWE were experimenting with art assets in the source engine, A bunch of 'vertical slices' were made, and it was a struggle to get the lighting to look good. Things like Unity and Unreal Engine 3's free licencing weren't really a thing back then either. Their lead coder was the Lead Engine Programmer on Titan Quest, so it wasn't as if nobody on the team had ever worked on a custom engine before.

Natural Selection 1 had a lot of depth, and with that comes complexity. Both sides were completely asymmetrical. I can't really say that's the case in NS2. With the tech tree you always feel like you're going through the motions and not actually making the choice of going down one branch over the other. It's all very shallow. Why pick Exosuits when Jetpacks are clearly the better choice?

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 25, 2013

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
The community is running this game now. Interesting to see what happens feature wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
They were hopeful that the game would be an e-sport, so they catered very heavily to the competitive side.

Also most of the playtesters were playing nearly every day for years - meaning the average skill of the test servers was overwhelmingly above what you'd see in any public server.

The game was good if both teams played well, but the hard truth is it just didn't have the right feel, speed or the performance of NS1, and it kind of made playing the game frustrating for me personally, once I ventured out of the testing circle.

Still a great game though.

• Locked thread