Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Dear god... So many new players... It's just fields of green. I am a god among men.

It gets a little tiring commanding game after game, but all these new players make me giddy.

Pro tip to anyone commanding a team of alien nubs: Build lots of onos eggs after getting leap/cara/celerity and stick a gorge to them. Onos are noob friendly.

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Fades don't have their get-out-of-jail-free card anymore (feign death) and are easier to kill in NS2 than NS1 from what I remember. A good fade is a terror in games filled with newbies, but they aren't very effective going up against groups of shotgunners. I think it's just two point blank shotgun blasts needed to kill them.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

The current form of blink initially made you immune, then they shifted to 50% damage later in the beta. However, for months now it takes full damage. Keep shooting.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

I'm seeing a LOT of teamstacking going on. It's kind of annoying. Team colours of green vs white half the time.

I am also seeing this sometimes, and it really is frustrating when you have three shotgun marines running around your hive camping kills while the comm drops them medpacks/ammo. All the aliens just complain about how hosed they are and don't have a fun time, and the same players just join marines over and over.

(But as whiskas said, it doesn't color code the other team)

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

Except all things aren't equal, an undeveloped skulk is more powerful than an undeveloped marine. So what makes marines more capable of maintaining extractors in early game?

This is wrong.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

I didn't factor in time, I also don't know off hand the rate of income per harvester per second, and I don't trust the wiki enough to use stuff on it (neither of those are listed in game). Then we'd also have to account for multiple marines building, gorges, shifts, and multiple tech labs. Just because aliens research finishes faster, they still have to have the resources to start it which I showed was relatively the same cost. If you have accurate data for all that then by all means share with me.

I also don't try to account for harassing, which hurts aliens more for two reasons. One, they build slower so they lose more for the downtime, and marines can recycle to reduce resource loss. Aliens also want maximum pres to get those higher lifeforms out.

The basic cost of cysting to each rt I think is very valid considering I put it at 5, which is the minimum I managed to pull of. The average is probably 6 or 7, or more if you don't put the cysts at the max distance or put multiple around harvesters like some commanders.

Saying that scan/ammo/health is the same spending as cysting is saying I spend 5 res per room. So I scan every room my marines go into, and drop 1 health and 1 ammo each time. I'm not sure how many fights my marines are going to losing if I'm putting out this much res, so the aliens are going to be behind on harvesters or spending res to keep the egg count up.

Overall the factor of time is interesting, but kind of avoids the issue we were talking about, which is how much of the map each side really wants after the early game to progress into mid/late game. Marines can hold less than half the map and still keep always upgrading something, while still supporting troops. Aliens finish upgrading, and may be pooling resources or dropping defensive structures, but they are stalled tech wise until they take the third hive. Having slower pres gain is really harsh, because the marines can be spending their extra res on mines everywhere, or be getting double upgrades, and you're on skulks for longer.

This is by design, though, to have the cool asymmetrical gameplay. Marines can grab a second base then turtle, but aliens can't, yeah. If neither team needed a third cp, then it wouldn't be as interesting. The game is balanced around this, and trust me it can be pretty drat hard for marines to hold 3 bases.

If you think it's unbalanced, well... Aliens are pres dependent while marines are tres dependent, so aliens need a good fade/onos about as much as marines need a good comm. If you have two lovely teams duke it out with 2 good comms, marines are usually going to win. This is happening a lot since we have a huge influx of new players.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

None of my posts were intended to imply that either side has an advantage. If one side does, it is going to be map dependent more than design dependent. My posts were actually as a counter to people more or less claiming that one side has an advantage.

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Garfu posted:

Oh woops, should have mentioned control will no longer be a tech point. Things in the north have been rearranged also.

Cool, this stuff sounds great. The trend for most maps after feedback seems to move them to a star layout (4/5 CPs on the outer ring of the map and 1 in the middle sometimes). It was fun tech locking marines by grabbing all 3 hives, though, and hearing new players complain that their comm isn't giving them exos.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

The best order I've been able to come up with to rush an upgrade and keep everything flowing is:

Cyst out to one RT
Crag Hive
Drop RT
Cyst to second RT
Drop shell
Keep cysting out without going under 15 res
Start Cara
Jump out and evolve gorge
Jump back in, drop second RT

There's hardly any down time waiting for anything. It also gives a little time to find out where the opposing main is to either switch the extractors you're going to or cancel crag and go shift if they're far away on a bigger map. From there I try and get one or two more RTs, drop second hive, throw out 5 drifters, then jump out and healspray the new hive.

I don't know if an upgrade rush is good or not, but it feels cool to throw out a fast forward shift. Most games I do that order and get cara I get at least one teammate saying 'cara already gently caress yeah :black101:.'

Early upgrades are awesome. I've had a really successful game with early camo, but it's so risky that I never do it myself. I prefer shift since it's so versatile. Helps you dodge easier, traverse the map faster, and spawn eggs if you're low.

I usually save up for a second hive before upgrades, though, unless our team is getting their rear end handed to them.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

If you're going a fast second hive, then please, please, PLEASE get leap as your first priority after it finishes. If you aren't getting it right away, there isn't a real point to be skipping upgrades on your first hive.

One of the things about a shade first hive is the upgrades are all cheaper than the other options (15 res!), so you can get the second hive down faster than the other two routes, while still getting an early upgrade to help your guys out. I think if you do this you should really be focused on getting that second hive quickly. The marines having to be more careful because of invisible skulks also gives you time to be getting it out.

Definitely. I usually save up for a hive first because leap is so good.

What I really don't like about shade is that it's lovely for higher lifeforms, and if you end up with only two control points and have to fight for the third, you're stuck without celerity or carapace, and not having either one really blows for fades/onos.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I used to see really good players a lot, but lately the servers have just been full of nubs. Are there any servers where more experienced players tend to hang out? I usually just join official servers because there's too many goddamned servers.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I didn't know there was a goon server! I haven't really kept up with this thread since launch.

Splicer posted:

I assume you mean shift and crag in general, because I've always found adrenaline more useful than celerity as an Onos or Fade. Everyone knows that Celerity doesn't work in combat or for 3 seconds after the last time you did or received damage don't they? So it's utterly useless for anything other than getting to the fight in the first place. Fantastic for Skulks and good for Lerks, but Onos and Fade are all about the running away rather than the running to, which Celerity does nothing for.

I consider Silence about as useful as Adrenaline for Fades and Lerks, for Onos it's situational. Shade and Crag is a perfectly playable combo, if you're stuck with Shade and Shift though it's gg had fun new round please.

Being able to get around quickly helps a lot. I thought celerity gives a permanent speed boost with an additional out of combat boost. Is that not the case? I find it much easier to chase people down and run away as celerity onos, anyway.

I've written off adren ever since they changed it to only double the energy pool instead of increasing energy regen. It's okay for gorges to burst bile bomb but pretty lovely otherwise.

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 4, 2013

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Is it possible to use the Steam server browser for NS2, like the one for CS/TF2/NS/L4D/other Source and GoldSrc games? It's always been my favorite server browser.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yep, you just have to add the ip manually because the in game browser doesn't interface with the steam browser at all. But you can double click from the steam server browser to launch+join the game.

Cool, I might just do that for favorite servers. It's nice to be able to see a server status without having to launch the game.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I have to admit, I get pretty frustrated when people ignore what I'm telling them to do, and I will bitch about it, but I never complain if they try but their skills aren't up to par and some skulk just keeps killing them.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Unless they've patched it out for some dumb reason, whips can't tossback grenades that are at ground level, so you fire low, they stop next to the whip and they blow up. Whip tossback is only really useful when marines don't know where the whip is and can't aim their grenades at it.

e; vv it's entirely possible they've patched it out, I've not fired a GL at whips in a little while.

You used to be able to take down whips with a GL easily as long as you were relatively close to the whip and fired straight at it. This no longer is the case as I just tried it yesterday and got killed as it whipped all 4 'nades back at me. I haven't tried shooting them low to the ground, though.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Bhodi posted:

I still think grenades are more trouble than they are worth, personally, with the exception of a single guy firing grenades at exo feet during a push. Not because of whips, but because they'll bounce right off a random teammates back - they are suicidal to use in a group push.

That 3 gorge spit thing yesterday so was bullshit - because you weren't in visible range of any structures, outside my obs radius and only one person on my team had a mic, I had no warning until the power was almost gone. Marines need drifters!

I virtually never buy GLs unless we rush a hive because of this. That and shotgun is cheaper and lets you defend yourself while still doing more damage to buildings than the LMG. I wish the shotgun wasn't the overall best gun. :( Charlie doesn't want an HMG because he doesn't want flat upgrades, but that's pretty much what the shotgun is.

I really wish the game gave like blaring warnings to the comm as soon as a power node supporting a CC or phase gate got damaged. With all the power nodes on the map, you sometimes don't realize an important one is getting hit until it's too late.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I agree, res for kills is loving terrible. Maybe marines could have some sort of building upgrade to their res towers that allows the tower to pump out more res? Commander's would probably only research whatever towers are immediately close to them/in their base, and it would help counteract how easy it is for aliens to harass marine nodes.

Both teams used to have RT upgrades to increase pres production, but it was later taken out. I don't like the idea of increasing res production on a single node because it'd encourage marine turtling even further. I think res production is fine as it is.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Dyz posted:

As a marine comm is it better to recycle PGs so you only have 3 or 4? If you do this you dont end up with 1in every area and your team teleporting 5 times before they get where they need to go.

Yes. The best part of the Voogru servers in NS1 was the phase gate menu where using the PG instead brought up a menu and let you select which one to phase to. I miss that. :( Instead you have some wacky order that you'll phase to, and it's impossible to change without recycling and rebuilding them.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

traveling midget posted:

I just bought a mouse with TWO WHOLE SIDE BUTTONS!

Any suggestion on what to map them to?

Cysts for Khammander is a must, otherwise I dunno.

Sprint and voicechat for me. I really need to rebind the map key, but it's in such a useful spot if I'm not commanding... drat that uncancellable EMP MAC upgrade.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

The Crotch posted:

Man, at least you didn't spend your entire stockpile of tres on fade eggs.

Nah, I don't click eggs very much, but more often than I'd like, I'm about to drop a crag or shift when I check the map real quick then plop a spur instead.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

These are all excellent possibilities and are exactly why the team should vote on the issue.

I agree, voting is sufficient. It works way better than F4ing and I've already seen quite a few concedes made with it. If your team doesn't want to give up, but you do, then you should probably hop to another server.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

simosimo posted:

As soon as I see the EXOs I know it's time to pack up. I suppose it's down to the skill of the players right, rather than the actual game? But surely the longer games on NS1 weren't just a figment of imagination?

You should definitely NOT give up when you see exos. Onos are generally superior to exos since they can take one down solo and are way more mobile/survivable. I've seen quite a few games with 2-3 exos and the marine team push a hive and the alien team ignores them and hits the marine base instead (this is the best strat for dealing with exo trains imo) then mops up and wins the game. Marines can build up at the hive location they took, but aliens come out better on base trades.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

MikoLovesYou posted:

Everything I've read has agreed that on base trades, marines usually come out ahead (unless it's their main of course - but in that case, same goes for alien). They can get everything up and running faster and loss of a base doesn't necessarily mean loss of active skills like it does for alien. The biggest mistake I see marine comms making (myself included) is beaconing during a base push with exos - saves the base about 50% of the time but kills the exos about 100% of the time.

EDIT: also, the counter to exos are lerks, not onos. An onos certainly helps, but a lerk spiking an exo for 10 seconds with no healing will take it out. And I find exos are never looking for lerks.

You think so? Marines have to build a comm chair, two IPs, an armory, upgrade the armory, an obs, a phase gate, and an arms lab to replace a main base unless they have a backup upgraded armory & arms lab elsewhere. They also lose all weapon/armor upgrades until that arms lab goes up. And the comm will likely die and has to respawn. That's 125 res, while the aliens just need a hive and two upgrades (unless the alien comm was dumb and put all upgrades in one location), only 100 res if it was crag upgrades, 70 res if it was shade upgrades. In addition, you can just have one gorge heal the new hive while the rest of the alien team hits any RTs the marines have. The marines are stuck waiting for infestation to clear then have to rebuild like 6 buildings t. I'm not sure what your discussions agreed on, but base trades end up in the alien's favor in like 80% of the games I play.

An exo with no healing is pretty much dead anyway. Those are probably bad exos you're fighting, which a skulk can probably wipe out. Whenever you get hit, there's a damage location indicator that basically tells you where the lerk is. They pretty much die instantly to exos.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I'm assuming that aliens have 2 or 3 hives when the base trade occurs. You won't really lose higher lifeforms if they're committing a group of exos & weldering marines to the attack, and those higher lifeforms keep any upgrades they had until they get killed. The exos are so slow that the onos can just avoid them and knock everything else out, which locks the marines down. Any time in recent memory I've done a base trade as alien, we have always won. I don't know what to say. :\ You need to hit their main base, though.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Now I remember why I don't like playing online shooters :cripes:

Look, I know the very existence of a feminine voice in your team's chat is a horrible travesty beyond all comprehension, but that doesn't mean it's time to switch teams and break out the "I'm going to loving rape you you loving flat-chested oval office" diatribe. It's never time for that.

That is super lovely, but I really don't think that's the norm for this playerbase. I've never seen women that talk in this game get any poo poo or creepy people... but admittedly I don't see them talking much (probably for fear that that will happen). It's especially bad because voice communication is so important in this game. :(

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

xzzy posted:

I think the only reason you don't see more of them is because half the team is SAVING FOR EXO. If that behavior could be broken, there'd be a lot more skulks getting gibbed in remote corners of maps.

I really hate this. As marine comm in late game, I spend half my excess res in jetpacks because otherwise no one will buy them since they're all saving for exo. Without JPs, they couldn't chase down those early onos, which snowballs into many onos, then we'd lose the game.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

In-game audio device selection.

Hell yeah, no more game restarts required if I forgot to plug my headset. Though I wish it would just switch to the headset once it plugs in like some other games/apps.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Really? I'm going to have to look up what the right time is then, because that stomp always wrecks me.

The stomp isn't instant. It's actually a projectile that travels along the ground. I was under the impression that it was unavoidable without jetpacks or being on a different elevation, though.

Also, if you are a bad skulk, then you can still help out your team by grouping up with 3 or more skulks and zerging a pack of marines or a base. It's usually more helpful than newbie gorges that wall off a strategically useless area and get themselves killed when they don't know when to retreat. Don't try to be a rambo skulk either because you'll lose almost every 1v1 until you get better.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Teaser screenshot for an upcoming Gorge ability. Looks like a form of the Nydus Worm.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I really don't think railguns would be equivalent to these unless they made some sweeping upgrades to exos in general.

Babblers were AI mini skulks that gorges could spew out for free in NS1. They would just run to the nearest marine and start biting. You had to get 3 hives up in order to use it. They were patched out in later versions, but they were a fan favorite.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Welders are still awesome with level 2/3 armor if you have a teammate that actually welds and a comm that drops medpacks. Unfortunately in late game as comm I'm usually trying to do like 4 things at once so it's hard to keep up with medpack/ammo requests from the jetpackers ramboing their upgrades.

Also, more marine comms need to realize that usually ARCs and shittons of MACs are what breaks stalemates, not turrets and exos. (Although I do make a badass exo :colbert:)

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 11, 2013

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I like to encourage people to command in small games, like 3v3 or something, just to learn how to place buildings and how to upgrade stuff and such. That way when you first comm a real game you aren't trying to understand how cysts work. It can form some bad habits, though, like dropping whips/crags everywhere, getting sentries early on, or rushing to GL/flamethrower.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Ryen Deckard posted:

Surprisingly yeah, a lot of people don't use shadowstep as fade. Whenever I play fade, my first goal is to confuse the marine, once I think I've done that I go in for the attacks.

The problem with pub alien play is most people think the order of operations when playing is

1. Attack
2. Don't get hit

When it's really the opposite, don't get hit, then attack. You have a ton of movement abilities open up to you as alien, especially with the second hive, use them to confuse the hell out of the marines and then take swipes/bites at them when you get the opportunity.

I have literally gone entire engagements with two-three marines before as a skulk without getting hit a single time, it's incredibly satisfying.

This is really important for both teams once you've invested significant pres. Not dying as lerk/fade/onos/exo is generally your #1 goal and is much more important than killing a player or taking down an RT. I see so many new players get expensive stuff then run straight into an enemy base and zip around until they get killed. I know survivability is something you learn, but generally if you're around half health, get the gently caress back and heal up. Greedy fades are dead fades. Suck up your pride and retreat if that pro marine is besting you in 1v1. It's better than being dead.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Guesticles posted:

I'd like to provide counter point to this.

Let me preface this by saying I am a terrible fade. I was terrible in NS1, and I continue to terrible in NS2.

When I go fade, staying alive isn't my problem. Being effective and staying alive is. I can blink/shadow step all day long and make marines waste clips, but I can't kill dudes for poo poo if I do. In fact, usually if I do try to get in some lerk or fade practice because aliens are winning, that's about the point the marines start to rally.

...practise? I am a lovely fade too. :(

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Of course that's a problem too, but it happens a lot less often in pubs than the onos or fade that runs into a marine base and gets itself killed because it never thinks to leave until it's too late.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Koramei posted:

Get a feel for the movement in explore mode. That should really go for all the alien classes; I was worthless as a lerk for the longest time because I had no idea how to fly effectively.

No, it's the marine/fade dance and damage awareness that I have a problem with. I usually get myself killed as a fade due to some shotgun I didn't notice, so I never play as them because I'd rather save for onos, which usually ends the game. I can move around the map fine. I used to be okay as fade back in the beta when fades were a terror and onos were pretty much unused, but that was like a year ago or something.

Speaking of which, it's crazy to think of how much time has passed since the engine test came out. I remember playing this game 2 years ago, and there was crazy poo poo like infestation without cysts that had to be killed by flamethrowers (which were godlike and killed skulks in like 2 seconds with a gigantic cone and completely blinded anything not dead because there was no alien vision).

Edit: 4 years? No, memory, it wasn't that long ago.

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 13, 2013

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Koramei posted:

Spawn a marine in explore mode and practice around him, or dance around a column or something. The movement is your problem still and that's only solved by dancing around like a tit, which is better done in explore mode unless you want your whole team to shout at you.

If marines stood still like a column I'd be doing great. It's not like I can't hit marines at all, I just have trouble with moving targets.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

xzzy posted:

Just join a pub server and practice. It's not the end of the world if you play a couple rounds not being 100% effective every second of the game.

Worst that happens is some random guy on the internet gets annoyed and says something mean in team chat.

I know, but it's some weird mental block I have. I just... can't do it. I take each round very seriously and must play to win every single one, even laughable 3v3 games. I'm not afraid of my team yelling at me, I just don't want to lose. I have tons of fun playing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Some people are just socially inept or don't know English. They run in the comm chair after I hop out to build something, research some random rear end poo poo, drop some semi-useless buildings, and don't respond at all. It doesn't happen often, but it's frustrating. Then I just keep joining the opposite team on future rounds so I don't have to play with them.

The latest rear end in a top hat I had though would just rip noobs new assholes every time they did something wrong like gorge and completely block a door so no skulks could get through or not follow him when he tells them to (when they were following my directions as I was the comm). Just chill the gently caress out, random dude. I kept trying to reassure the other players that they were okay.

• Locked thread