Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

When I get home from work today I'll start setting up the NS2 server software on my server so we can have a place for goons of all colors to come together and complain about how bad everyone but themselves are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

rt4 posted:

Lerk spores does plenty of damage, but marines are usually pretty quick to get out of the way. Like everything else in this game, it works way better when combined with the chaos of some teammates doing more direct attacks.

The lerk also has another type of gas called umbra which cuts bullet damage in half for aliens inside the cloud.

Yeah, the Lerk gas stream is best when used to start a Skulk attack. Lerk swoops through the group of marines gassing them, they all turn to fire on you as you fly away, skulks run up from the bank and tear them all to pieces because they can't see anything.

Also, as to picking off marines 1v1 (because any higher ratio and you won't win, period): Always be jumping or leaping (the ability). Specifically, when you jump at them (not leap) try to jump to the side of them, not directly at them, and do a mid-air turn to bite them. I don't really know why, but it seems like being in the air makes it WAY harder to get hit. Seriously, just keep jumping around the marine in sporadic directions and you'll kill him super quick.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

After having a commander that never researched blink, I actually like the default left shift blink a lot. If you don't die on the first shot, and you're used to the firing speed of the shotgun, you can dodge through him all day and slice him and all his friends to tiny, tiny bits.

The saddest thing about fade that I see is people off attacking power nodes. Fades do terrible damage to buildings as far as I can tell, but do a great job slicing marines.

What upgrades do you all like on the various aliens? Personally I don't find myself using adrenaline or cloak very often, being able to re-position or attack a different area feels like the alien strength, and those upgrades run counter to that. Carapace seems like the best for skulk, gorge, and onos, while for lerk/fade I feel it depends more on the map/enemy. If you're able to be off harassing, regen lets you keep doing it, but if they're in big enough groups the extra armor is needed to survive.

Always like to hear what people better than me think, or even worse than me with a different thought process! Seems like there are a lot of ways to do things, and my personal style of play could be overshadowing usefulness of the other upgrades in my mind.

Do what I do, tell people on your team that fades do 50% damage to structures (which is true, approximately) and they'll pretty quickly stop attacking structures. I don't know why you would waste res on a fade when you're not going to slice up marines anyways. It's so drat fun. Never, ever, ever stop blinking. Blink behind a marine, slice, blink behind, slice, repeat. They can't hit you for poo poo, and as long as you don't HOLD blink down and instead do short bursts, you'll never run out of energy. I had a game where our main base was under attack and the only people who could get across the map quick enough were me and another fade. We killed like 6 of them just by blinking all over the place and slicing them up. Took nearly no damage.

• Locked thread