Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Carecat posted:

47 minutes in and we finally get three exos up, then the server crashes :(

Also my black armor isn't showing and it's selected in options :argh:

It doesn't change your view model. Make sure you ask someone else.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Just remember, this is only the start. Keep reporting these issue to the devs.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, this is pretty awesome. Check out this hallway.

Recognize it? It's the hallway from the "COMING IN FALL 2009" teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ughh, just got the bad end of lots of new players. I was playing Alien commander and it was like trying to herd cats. I even managed to get 3 hives and every possible upgrade but they couldn't actually do anything with it. I was dropping hundred of res worth of eggs that they just couldn't put to any use. I just quit in frustration after the marines rolled 12 ARCs up to a wall near a hive and blew up the entire room in 2 shots.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

eggsovereasy posted:

I've only played games as the aliens so far and have lost every game. Is there a balance issue or have I just gotten unlucky in the 5 or 6 games I've played.

I'm really bad at landing bites or it takes way too many bites to kill a human, I'm guessing it's the former though.

From what I saw yesterday, a lot of it is that all the new players are joining aliens (understandable since they've played plenty of other games where your run around with a gun) and the teams end up stacked against aliens. Hopefully it will even out in the future and you won't see 90% of the green names on one team.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I thought they were being a little optimistic with their big server roll out, but it seems I was way off. They're having to add even more euro servers to keep up with demand.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

And I was wrong about the gorge running. He's actually skiing. Just hurls himself forwards and goes dead. Moves you fast down infected hallways for a bit of energy. Also it's kind of cute seeing the tongue stick out. :allears:

The gorge belly slide is fun. If you turn smoothly enough you can actually get around corners without slowing down.

2 Fast 2 Furious : Kharaa Drift

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Looking through the bonus stuff, pretty boss overall. One of the desktops features the lady marine, and guess what? She looks about the same as the dude marine.

Insane, I know.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Shift is slow/silent walk. The only key that affects wallwalking is crouch, which disables it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
That's a terrible review. It's pretty much just complaining that it isn't exactly like NS1 and unsourced poo poo like

"...some would argue that Unknown World itself isn't really independent."

Who exactly is arguing that, how how exactly is that substantiated in any way?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They way I remember it, gorges got a larger percentage of the overall res flow. More than one gorge would split that additional percentage so it was preferable to only have one gorge because one could get structures out quicker than two or more.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also, pretty much everyone that got the free copies paid either 40$ or 30$ back in the day. An extra copy is a good way to make those people feel like they got a good deal and also pump up the playerbase.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Parasite does just enough damage to make level 0 armor take 2 additional bites to kill.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, looks like Criken has a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZdY_M9n24c

I would HIGHLY suggest you also watch his Chivalry video too.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You should also check your Steam inventory. If it was long enough ago that you don't remember it, there is a good chance you have a 2nd gift copy too.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Unable to function at all.

If a Fade repeatedly uses Vortex on a Phasegate for instance, no marines will be able to come through.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Maximusi posted:

Is there any way to play this game on a mac?

At lot of the devs are mac users, so they hope to do it eventually. It's just lower priority than some of the other matters at hand. For now you can do the bootcamp thing I think.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think web is still in the plans. They want to add a lot more mini structures to the gorge.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
One of the first things in the article was complaining about the price. He couldn't even get that most basic of information right, and listed it as $30 instead of $25. It was super obvious that he hadn't treated his work seriously and thought no one would notice because it was just some random indie game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Black Armor was for people who did the special 40$ preorder when the program first started. (Along with a picture of the UW crew freaking out at a huge fan of money being held by Flayra)

Here's the default and the black armor. Aside from the custom helmet it's just a reskin.

Here's the deluxe armor. It's got quite a few changes. The concept art is from NS1 and is pointing out what the little visor thing is a reference to.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Pretty sure in the finals, the first thing marines always researched was mines.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hey, I was looking through this thread and I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLHGSzXySU

How do I do this? Is it just like bunny hopping except you want to navigate yourself to a wall or ceiling instead of the floor?

As far as I understand it, there are 3 main rules for walljumping.

1. When you jump off a wall you get a speed boost.

2. The speed boost drops off as you run along floors and walls, but you can preserve it by staying in the air.

3. The speed you gain by falling is carried through into your speed boost.

Thus by starting high, jumping as soon as you connect with any surface, and repeatedly bouncing from wall to wall, you can go 1.5-2x as fast as normal.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 13, 2012

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Reason posted:

I have black armor selected in options, but I'm just a plain green marine.

Have you asked someone else? The 1st person view models don't change.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They're still in the "putting out fires" stage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The fact that regen was terrible and practically no one ever used it?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Mature Shifts can evolve the ability to teleport nearby structures (including itself) to a new location with active creep.

Mature Shades can evolve the ability to create phantom non combat players to fool the marines.

Mature Crags currently have nothing, but the plan is that they will be able to have tiny AI monsters fly out of the holes in the Crag to harass marines in some form.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, it off by default because they want people to be able to use the workshop for legitimate skin replacers. Serious business servers can already change the settings to disallow that sort of thing.

Also I noticed this on the workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTpNkmCFJY

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Puistokemisti posted:

I cannot comprehend why they thought that this wouldn't happen or in fact that this would be a good idea at all.

They knew it would happen. These kinds of mods were just a fact of life back when games were less locked down.

NS2 is from that old school lineage. It's shame that people abuse that instead of making the gorge breathe red healing hearts, but so it goes. Again, server admins already have commands in place to lock down consistency if they really want to.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

xzzy posted:

Does it really just come down to balancing how easy it is to access points of interest and the distance between them?

Yeah, that's about it. You want to make it so that each start point has close to the same access to resources as every other start point. There's also stuff about creating rooms and hallways without incredible amount of bias towards certain forms of attack. Examples might be how cargo is bad because it's too open to stop jetpackers, or adding LOS blocks to make long distance grenading hard on certain hives.

As an example, here's a theoretical map layout I've been fiddling with.

The double res node has a wall that divides the room but can be crossed by certain means. (skulks/flyers/clog ramps/boosted marines) The top 2 tech points are random marine starts and the bottom 3 are random alien starts. Almost every tech point has access to 2 additional tech points and 4 additional resource nodes within 2 jumps. The bottom hive only has access to 3 additional resource nodes but has better overall access to the map. I think that balances out ok.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This means marines are further away from double res and also can't build the two res nodes since they can't climb walls. This does not seem balanced at all.

The alien commander can't cyst over the wall, so it's not as easy for them to take as you are probably thinking. It really functions more like two separate rooms with an extra large vent in between. Take another look and count it out. The marines have access to their starter node/techpoint, 2 additional nodes/techpoints, and 2 empty nodes within 2 jumps. The marines start with the exact same access to resources as the aliens. (or a little better in the case of the center hive)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think Spark actually started out as a dynamic .BSP viewer because they were so frustrated with existing Source tools.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Last I heard, they were thinking of giving Gorges the ability to make "slow teleport" tunnels with a limited range. Kind of like adding a new vent system for making switchbacks take less time to run around. I don't know how accurate that is nowadays.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm guessing two big puckered sphincters that have to be placed on/near the infestation. An alien runs up, uses, watches some some sort of green infestation tube animation, and then pops out the other end.

:edit: They could bring back the old Onos devour sprite!

Just need to make it loop so you travel endlessly down an alien colon and play it while you're traveling. Maybe make it green.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 15, 2012

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They have been adding a bunch of props for NS_Descent in the models folder recently. I would expect that would be the next map.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It will work on any server that isn't running a consistency check.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

quote:

...the tunnel will always be the same size in length no matter how far apart you place the entrances...

SORCERY!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh poo poo.

the NS2 twitter posted:

An awesome costume designer just came by the office and took all of @hugh_jeremy's measurements... Can you guess what for? (Hint: PAX)

I think that means Hugh is going to be dressed as a pink bondage unicorn at PAX.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Remember to switch to your pistol and dump that out too. It's quicker than trying to reload in the middle of combat and does quite a bit of damage per shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Limastock posted:

Bummer how there are so few players now. I havent played a game in like a week because there are only like 2 servers with people on them and only one of them is in the US and it is on the west coast.

I know there is more people on during peak times at night and such but I used to be able to play at like 3pm est no problem.

? It's 3 pm est right now and there are around 1200 people playing NS2. Do you have your server filters borked?

• Locked thread