Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Captain Beans posted:

The steam requirements/recommended for NS2 seem insanely low, especially I know that over the course of the beta there were a lot of issues with performance.

Could anyone who plays with an old machine elaborate on their specs and the performance they get?

I have an ancient dual core and a GTS 450 and I get 20-40FPS. Alien infestation seems to kill my framerate the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

quote:

Also, no need for any of the hostile stuff. If I knew I was going to dislike it, I wouldn't have tried it. And I still don't dislike it as much as it just bores me. If for some reason G4B2S: The Game appeals to you, that's great. For me it's not an improvement on any of the parts of NS that I enjoyed and isn't a particularly exciting game on it's own merits either so I won't be playing it. You don't have to pretend that liking other things is insufferable elitism and try to rally the thread to hyuk-hyuk about it.

Can you name a non-Quake engine based game/engine that did air accel in a way that felt good or proper?

You can also artificially increase your speed by falling from a height and using your jump to keep the momentum up; similar to strafejumping but without the air acceleration.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 1, 2012

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's not my recollection of voogru's servers. Most of the plugins they ran weren't that intrusive and some even found there way into the base game by the time 3.0 rolled out. It was also one of the only places that was 28/32 players and almost always full.

Voogru made a lot of obnoxious loving mods that eventually lead to the proliferation of Combat and eventually killed NS1.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

It's only as many free copies as people pre-ordered pre-Steam anyway.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

randombattle posted:

I feel like NS2 changes the alien side for really bizarre reasons. Gorges aren't really needed on teams most of the time, Onoses don't seem to fill much of a role, Lerks and Fades seem way more powerful now then they ever were.

Lerks were mega powerful in NS1 'til they removed spikes. But then they added gliding. NS2's lerk is just the best of both worlds.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

RabidWeasel posted:

The bite sucks now though and I'm horrible at the new spore mechanic :(

The bite leaves behind a poison and still does 60 initial damage.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

voltron lion force posted:

Also, a commander told me that if you're in a room with just a resource and a power, always kill the resource first since it actually costs something to rebuild.

I think this was me. Cool that I was your comm I guess. I really see too many skulks rushing for those drat nodes in extractor-only rooms though.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

AxeManiac posted:

I was scared of this. I hate playing serious online games where people just yell at me for not knowing everything. I jumped on some newbie friendly servers and started playing and having a commander guide you is actually kind of nice. Once I play a bunch and get the hang of it (I just run around shooting people and repairing things, not sure if I'm supposed to be doing more) I'd be up for trying commander.

Maybe in a goon game first or something.

A goon game is the worst place to try to learn or have fun or win at a game. I thought you were experienced with goons!

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

E: Disregard.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

StuntKid posted:

There's so many options, when I started NS2 I was dropping Arms labs early, but people weren't that good at shooting aliens and the upgrades went to waste.

As much as your team may not be able to shoot, armour 1 in the first minutes is the biggest game changer for your team. Armour means no more two bite deaths, meaning no more insurmountable ambushes, meaning your team can take and hold ground significantly easier. That transitions smoothly into phase gates.

The thing is that skulk early aggression is the only thing that truly allows an alien commander space to spread infestation and grab resource nodes; alien nodes take FOREVER to build and die relatively easily. The downside to early skulk rushing and aggression is that the skulks really can't react to marines moving into their territory and killing poo poo unless they take pressure off your base; they're dead or in your base, not actually defending infrastructure and ambushing encroaching marines.

NS2 is a lot about forcing reactions out of your opponents; skulks attack your base to force you to stop spreading map control. You send a small group of marines to attack the alien infrastructure to force them to pull pressure off your base.
It's similar in concept to forcing a beacon when you have a swarm of marines approaching your hive. I've only seen a few skulk rushes actually end a game; they're a legitimate tactic to give the alien commander space to get a strong start.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 12, 2012

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

AxeManiac posted:

Thank god I play on rookie, I don't think I'm ready to decode the matrix of 1s and 0s to be a good alien shooter.

Haha? The game looks loving great even on low details, which I'm forced to play on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Hahaha. I built a new PC but kept my old videocard (450GTS) and got a 1080p monitor. Now at 1080p I get about 25-40fps on all low details; NS2 won't be happy until my entire PC is a high-end rig I guess. Is there any way to tolerate being under your native resolution on a 1080p monitor? Or will it always just look like poo poo?

• Locked thread