Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Addict posted:

I played this a year and a half ago in beta, and apparently since then it has turned into a good game. I can't wait.

Is this true? Checked in about a year ago and everyone was still complaining that it was a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sendo posted:

It's almost like a completely different game compared to then.

Welp guess I won't be playing Chivalry much longer.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What do the clots that Gorges put down do? Make the creep expand faster?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I wish your perspective rotated with your orientation while playing skulk, like in AvP. Obviously its less disorientating, but it doesn't feel as cool and it makes it hard to run along ceilings without falling off.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I do not like the way the silence upgrade works. Makes me think my sound is hosed up. Make the sfx a litte softer, but don't remove them completely. Other than that this game is pretty great. Playing Fade with adrenalin is amazingly fun. I found out the hard way not to evolve into one before blink is researched though because they're pretty much useless without it.

e: About the silence: I meant the sound that you hear while actually playing the alien. Obviously you should be silent to the enemy but removing the audio feedback of running, leaping and biting is lovely.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 1, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think the version you want is actually the better choice in most respects, but you have to admit that it would be confusing as gently caress to all these poor new players who are already having their minds exploded by the 18,000 other unintuitive/difficult to learn parts of this game. For a generation raised on Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, and Counterstrike, NS2 has a lot of difficult stuff to swallow, and "I'm actually not making noise even though I'm making noise" would add another frustration onto the big pile of "how does this game even work."

I guess so, but then again I'm a poor new player and I was halfway into the audio menu before I realized "oh right silence". Its just so jarring going from visceral leap and bites to nothingness. My perspective is literally in this dog's mouth and I'm running across a metal floor and all I have to listen to is the ambient level noise. It makes sense logically from an incredibly literal perspective, but absolute silence is just weird.

e: To go with your example, CoD has a perk that's called "Dead Silence". It muffles footsteps and jumps, but they are still audible.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 1, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Garfu posted:

For people curious of tactics for skulking, lerking, fading, and marining, go ahead and watch this video http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337623861

So got around to watching some of this. Jesus dude, you're a monster. I retract my previous statement about Fades being useless without blink because that is apparently very far from the truth.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its great they fixed the twitchy server list but now my game crashes after like 15-20 minutes. Always when I'm about to be an onos :saddowns:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also, a commander told me that if you're in a room with just a resource and a power, always kill the resource first since it actually costs something to rebuild.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Really? I thought bite did 75 damage and starting marines have 100hp/30ar. Does armor actually reduce damage? Or maybe you mean with armor 1 it does just enough to take them to 2 hits.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sendo posted:

Where the gently caress did this calling Marines "rines" come from, I keep seeing pubbies spouting it everywhere.

Furthermore I'm hearing a lot of people saying Gorgey.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LibbyM posted:

I just bought this. How awful is the community? If I play a few matches to get a feel, and then decide I want to try a match as commander, am I going to get yelled at and votekicked from the game the moment I do something badly?

I'm gonna throw my two cents in here because, I too, was concerned about a lovely community (I came from playing a lot of Dota recently) and I have to say that, right now at least, everyone is extremely chill. Sort of reminds me of the early TF2 days. Just a bunch of noobs learning how poo poo works, communicating, giving each other tips and generally just having a good ol' time. Tons of new players are starting right now and I've seen more than a few vets being patient and helpful. Overall: game is good, community is good, get playing man.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
And jumping. Jump around like crazy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think he was being sarcastic. Had a comm recall everyone last night, just as we were pushing the last hive, because a couple skulks showed up in base. We still won, but it took 5 minutes longer than it should have.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also to entice people to kill buildings and build stuff for their comm without only worrying about their K/D.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It basically means that the leading team is granted increasingly greater advantages over the losing team until eventually it becomes no contest.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sure you don't have to pretend you're a 1337ninja, but it helps :ninja:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So can anyone tell me about the Lerk umbra? I was using it to great effect last night, keeping the onos alive, but do you have to constantly keep the cloud on them or will the effect last a little while?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Honestly, the most baffling part is he keeps going on and on about how bad the graphics are. He must be playing on a toaster because the graphics look pretty loving slick from where I'm standing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
This vid should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvkjrPHc-tI

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I would say that while a good commander is awesome and will make your experience better, a bad one won't ruin it. The most annoying thing that I see is commanders that are just plain new and don't know how to do things so you end up getting upgrades real slow. That sucks, but its pretty minor compared to how good the game is overall. Get it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sicarius posted:

Anyone having issues getting a server list at the moment? I've got a blank screen... :(

There's a known issue with people's server lists getting hosed up. A thread in the official forums recommended going into your steam settings, under downloads+cloud turning the game server browser: max pings/minute down to 500. That seemed to fix it for me at least.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Puistokemisti posted:

On that Mine map, if you jump into the vent to join alien team when there's too many Aliens, you just fall to the bottom. Once there, you can't get back out anymore and it's apparently beyond the 'join zone' so you can't join the alien team either once there's room. Neither F4 nor 'kill' help you there, so I guess only way out is disconnecting.

You can type "spectate" with no quotes into the console to get out, but ya its a pain especially since I'm always rushing to join aliens.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CrunchyTaco posted:

Put your mines under infestation like a man next time.

I don't think you you can place mines on infestation :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Exos are nice but they seem to work best as a support unit. No more than one per 6 marines or so.

Ya and in a lot of games you see the exact opposite ratio. I think the pub mentality (and often my own tbh) is that you have to rush exos because most of the time half the alien team is just saving up rez for a quick mass onos push that is hard to defend without exos.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You build faster using the wielder.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saint Celestine posted:

When I comm, I solve this by putting turrets everywhere. Theyre pretty cheap and can protect the res node and act as a fallback position for marines.

Eh I don't know I play mostly aliens and I rarely ever find turrets by themselves to be much of an obstacle. I'm not sure how the placement works, but it always seems like I can just run around them, take minimal damage, then wedge myself into a spot where I can kill the battery without taking fire.

Siroc posted:

Is this confirmed? Someone in game bitched me out for using welder when constructing something.

All I know is the counter seems to go up faster. At the very least its definitely not slower so I can't imagine why he was bitching at you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Speaking as a newish player, if you tell me to go somewhere not specifically marked on the map, I have no idea where you're talking about. Talkative commanders are the best though. I like it when they tell me I did a good job :3:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mistermojo posted:

Those look insanely cool, especially the fade

I think they look insanely cheesy, especially the fade. Also if you had all of them on at the same time you'd be playing NS2: Virtual Boy Edition.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Onoses(onii?)

Onos are like sheep. You can have one onos or two onos or many onos.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That all sounds cool to me. Downtime running back to the hive to heal sucks and now I might actually take regen over carapace sometimes.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Unless the marine commander is on the ball with the scans. Then the skulk just dies and feels extremely embarrassed for wasting time sitting on the wall.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I wouldn't say anyone is mad seeing as how, despite a single lovely review, the game seems to be selling quite well. People are just pointing out how stupid/bad this guy + metacritic are.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The scariest part about whips is that I just know my whole squad will simultaneously empty their clips on it and get ambushed during the reload. Every. Single. Time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hmmm you do seem massively uptight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm one of those people that gets pissed when coms go camo first. I never bitch at them for it, but I just feel really ineffective without early cele, especially in regards to map control. Also, good marines will recognize that you went early camo and be less likely to travel alone and will check behind them and poo poo.

• Locked thread