Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Man, this game is an absolute blast to play on both sides! It really is reliant on a commander who can communicate though.

Is it just me or is it really drat hard to find out where things are happening as aliens? I hear WARGLE UNDER ATTACK and have to pore over the map every time, a WP would be really handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

It feels like marines are much much easier to do well in for new players. I'm guessing that aliens can be more powerful individually, but it's really painful losing game after game because our skulk horde is afraid of heights and moves single file into the storm of lead.

Also marines get all sorts of handy waypoint indicators, it's really easy to tell what's happening and where.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I do love how gorges get to clog hallways with giant boogers. At one point our team had 4 of them so the hive entrance looked like an alien WW1 trench.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Anyone know the range of a hydra, roughly?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

My experience on dealing with skulks is to stagger your group of marines. It's much easier to shoot a skulk circling your buddy at the other end of the hall than right at your own feet if everyone clumps up.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

A lone exo is horribly vulnerable to one skulk anklebiting it, especially if it doesn't have fully upgraded armor. An exo train should be bilebombed and skulkrushed.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The one thing I would like to see for the command interface is some kind of visual fog of war effect. It might be my low settings, but it's hard to tell what areas I can see fully or not.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

If you're having trouble getting kills then I would suggest harassing marine resource nodes. Just keep an eye out for mines and try to approach from the ceiling.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

In that case you might have been better off pooping out whips next to their CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Magres posted:

You can also feed your marines effective combat tactics. One game I was playing Marine and we were getting crushed early by the Skulks - lot of us just weren't super good twitchy players and fighting a Skulk up close is almost entirely twitch and bunnyhopping.

Our comm says "Guys, move in packs of 2 and 3, and stay like ten feet apart. Don't try to shoot at Skulks on you, focus on dodging and shooting Skulks off other people. When there's a Skulk on someone, don't even bother trying to shoot it. Shoot the Marine. You'll hit the Skulk instead. I swear it works." (I agree with him, it works really well) As we roll out, he keeps feeding random people good tactical advice and we all fight better for it, and wind up winning the game.

You have to be able to give advice without pissing people off, but it's definitely nice when I'm in a situation where I'm not sure what my best move is as a grunt and my comm feeds me a good course of action to take.

That there is a perfect example of a good comm. I was in the same situation but our comm just kept going "stop being poo poo guys you loving suck god drat you're so poo poo".

• Locked thread