Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I half-agree: you're right about the new assholes, probably, but in terms of why people were so nice at first, part of it might be that they wanted the game to succeed, but I think a much much larger part is that the NS community has always been preternaturally nice.

Except towards new commanders, in my experience. Every once and a while I would find a team that's OK with a newbie to the chair/station/hive, but the overwhelming majority of the games I've been in with a new guy commanding haven't ended well for said commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Addict posted:

Was nice to see ns2goons going again. I have lost my rhythm as commander though, how early should I grab gorge tunnels? I am guessing after leap but before blink and stomp and possibly spores.

I usually see it getting researched while the second hive is being built.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

I think it was needed since more than once last night while playing, I survived multiple 2+ skulk rushes to repair on Mineshaft because of very precise and expert medpak spamming by the commander. Maybe 6 res, but it secured repair for the rest of the game for us. I look forward to the changes on Tram, I know that was a really balanced map, but it was always shite when it was a warehouse/server start. :(

I had a similar situation where I was backed into a corner with nothing but my axe, and the commander saw fit to shower me with medkits. The fade that died as a result was very, very confused.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Wow, never thought of jumping on top of the command centre.

The clever bit was not finishing building it so it stayed folded up. Since skulks can't climb CCs anymore, the top of a CC is the safest place available.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Garfu posted:

WE GOT ROLLED. We were really off our game, we're much better than how we played. May have been the jetlag, idunno. Great experience nonetheless. I thought we really had a chance though, haha

The first game was good, and that last one had some fun strategies and tactics pulled out. Were you guys really playing Quake during the downtime?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

AgentF posted:

Probably wouldn't have changed much, but I found it obviously unfair that the Europeans were allowed to have subs while the US players didn't have any. If one team can't have them then the other shouldn't either.

That was pretty galling. "We can't afford to fly more than six of you in, so I guess you guys are SOL. Local guys, you're A-OK to have extras because we don't have to pay for your transportation."

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

sincx posted:

I played the first NS, just bought NS2, looking forward to seeing yall in the game.

edit: I was able to connect earlier, but now when I try to connect it says my files do not match the server's files. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Next time I go Fade, I'll be asking for Babbler Armor. Honestly, I think that might be the lifeform that benefits the most.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias posted:

An important thing to note is that they don't have any support abilities at tier 2 (which is probably when you've gone fade) their upgrade is basically to jetpack. Contrast that with parasite, bile bomb, spore, and stomp.

And, since onos is only 75, by the time you get 50 res you probably say to yourself "eh, may as well just save for onos."

I don't know, I still haven't gotten used to the Onos' momentum and find myself getting pasted because I underestimate how much time it's going to take to get out of dodge. With the Fade, at least I know where I stand and skills from Natural Selection (mostly) carry over.

Also, skulks get Leap at the second hive, not parasite. They have that to start.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

The thing about Onos is that it has a lot of versatility implicit in how threatening it is. I don't often push stuff as Onos; mostly I want to stick around as one for as long as possible, shifting between attacking different positions, forcing beacons, and forcing the marine team to react to my position on the map. But you don't want to run into a prepared position, or give them an opportunity to chase after you.

Unless them doing so draws them wildly out of position so a bunch of aliens can then wreak havoc.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cyks posted:

Just tested it on a private server in the current build; there is no default cap. I suppose servers may be able to put their own player spawn limit.

# of marines-1 IP strategy is go. Now I know where to put excess resources!

...I just had a fun thought. If you set that up at a CC near a hive, you could have your guys do a suicide push in one direction, beacon after they're all dead, then go murder the hive. Then again that's a stupidly large amount of resources tied up in IPs.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias posted:

More players = more fun, at least for me, but I'm just a filthy casual so I guess I'm missing that the point of the game isn't about having fun.

I don't know, for me it doesn't feel like the maps are big enough for more than 8, maaaaaaaaaaybe 9 or 10 on a side. At that point it feels like you can cover far too much ground with just your stock people. Plus, you run into spawn problems, with eggs not spawning fast enough and marines having to build two or three times as many IPs (on a 32 man server you pretty much need 4-5 IPs with how often people will be dying). The game turns into a slog really, really fast, which ends right around the time one side stops being able to spawn in properly.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

Maybe instead of a medpack drop limiter there should be a medpack pickup limiter? Can't pick up more than one medpack a second? Would keep them just about as useful in groups of 3+ marines, but would cut down on babysat allstars.

That would also prevent shenanigans like a lone, ammoless marine boxed into a corner by a fade winning the swipe-off. Poor guy was so confused.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

AgentF posted:

Last one doesn't look like much of a distance savings.

It's more about bullshit ambushes on pushes into Warehouse.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Guesticles posted:

I've noticed they're longer, but there is much less waiting for the game to be over. The game isn't decided by the 5 minute mark anymore.

It's not? Well then, might be time to boot this up again.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Now I get to lament not having a PC that could run this back during the preorder days all over again. :negative:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Supernorn posted:

Good stuff

Any word on mixed 1 railgun/1 minigun exos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They do not exist.

Fair enough. I could see that being hilariously broken anyway.

• Locked thread