Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Vatek posted:

I have a similar setup except my i7 is much older and I maxed out every graphics option I could find and it runs perfectly with no slowdowns anywhere. I'm fairly certain my video drivers are out of date too since I haven't updated them since July or so.

I may be the odd one out here, but I have an i7 with an nvidia 460m, and I've been trying to play this on Windows 8, but it seems to die on me after 10-15 minutes when I'm trying to respawn. Strangely, I can successfully respawn 3-4 times before that, but it will eventually get to the point where it just crashes on me while I'm staring at my dude at the respawn point.

Any ideas, or could it just be windows 8?

I downloaded the most recent drivers from the NVidia website about 4 hours ago.

Guesticles posted:

But see, now that they've taken out bunnyhopping, there is nothing that separates them from the newbies!

Well, I suppose there's always aimbotting. I have no idea how that would work in this game, though.

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Vatek posted:

It's either Windows 8 or your laptop overheating.

It's probably the latter. And both. I heard windows 8 had issues with overheating.

It's a real shame, too. I didn't have this issue with windows 7, but I don't really want to downgrade.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

octoroon posted:

Yeah, and that's with only a few tweets and a small handful of articles. Once more articles start to hit the press, and more major casters/players start to tweet about it and make videos, it's going to be great.

Yeah, it's like the Alien vs. Predator game we all wanted in the first place.

To clarify, I actually like this game. I know that sounded like sarcasm.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012
I've found a sort of solution to some of my crashes. For background I have a Core i7 and an NVidia 460M (not the latest and greatest, but it works).

In the Control Panel, under System, Power Options, I changed my plan settings a little bit. Under the Advanced Power Options, I made the following changes:

Processor Power Management
Min Proc State: 0%
System Cooling Policy: Passive
Max Proc State: 95%

This seems to keep it from crashing...

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 1, 2012

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Obiter dictum posted:

I've no idea what that guy was trying to say about voogru, shared respool was always in the game, a long time before voogru started crapping up the game with his garbage mods (that now hilariously have led to armories healing both health and armor...).

Out of curiosity, does shared respool still work that way in NS2?

I mean, if I had 100 resources, would other people get resources faster?

This game needs something like a manual.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

The Pope posted:

So is this game gonna get better optimization or what?

It runs like poo poo.

I'm pretty sure they are going to deoptimize the game so it will run even worse.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Can I only get better at being commander by being one? This is rough...

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

randombattle posted:

I dunno you can pick up a lot by following what works and what doesn't. A commander who doesn't understand the way the upgrades effect the battle flow on the different map areas won't be as useful as someone who has a feel for how the upgrades are used.

Yeah, it can be pretty noticeable when you join a game and after 10 minutes the marines don't have armor or weapon upgrades.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I've had multiple games this morning where the comm, as both marine and alien, just totally ignores getting upgrades for the first 10+ minutes of the game while players constantly asked for them, to the point of explaining exactly where on the comm interface to find it. I don't understand this behaviour but then we also had a guy in one game who essentially went 'on strike' and refused to do anything because the comm didn't put down a robotics lab as his first build. I'm totally fine with people not knowing what to do but a lot of players just seem willfully stupid and ignore all the advice from the more experienced team members :smith:

Well, being experienced doesn't necessarily mean you should go on strike if you don't get what you want.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Guesticles posted:

Yeah, if I don't get orders I'm going to get high :350: and wander off somewhere. I specifically chose my username with being given orders in mind.

I do the same thing.

I still have a deathly fear of commanding. I think that has more to do with the fact that I can't figure out the control panel than anything else, though.

edit: I think I must've joined a noob game about an hour ago because I munched through 3 exos in a row with a skulk. By myself. :okpos: That's not supposed to happen, right?

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 5, 2012

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

• What Fade vortex actually does

And I'm sure many more.

I would like to know the answer to this.

The onos stomp is actually pretty useful. It's gotten me killed a few times.

It also took me forever to figure out that I needed to evolve again (or evolve after selecting them) to use my extra alien skills. I just figured that out 20 minutes ago. How the gently caress I was killing anything, much less exos, with an un-evolved skulk is beyond me.

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 5, 2012

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

FuSchnick posted:

Why the heck does this game even have a score?

Maybe it's so you can keep track of how many times you headshotted an onos.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Brother Scrotum posted:

and then I quit because I dropped two Onos eggs that nobody took.

Just out of curiosity, how do you "take" Onos eggs?

I always spawn as skulk and I don't know how that is possible.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Fallom posted:

They're the same model as the eggs that you spawn out of, and they have an icon above them showing what you'll when you go up to them and press E.

Oh... :neckbeard:

I've seen those things before but I didn't know about that. Thanks.

edit: Wait, so a khammander could drop a bunch of onos eggs late in the game and have the team swarm the marines with onos continually?

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 9, 2012

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

The Crotch posted:

One of these days. One of these days I will figure out how half of our marines got stuck in the ventilation system.

But I don't think I'll ever figure out how we actually won that game. Jesus Christ this game produces some pretty bizarre scenarios.

There is one map where marines can climb inside the ventilation system and NEVER get out of it, because it drops them like 20 feet and they can't climb out. If the aliens don't kill them, they are out of the game.

I'm surprised that wasn't removed since I found it the first time I played.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

whiskas posted:

Nope. Why spend 75 res to build a dual minigun exo when you can buy over 7 jetpacks for the same amount of resources.

Jetpacks are a superior counter to onos and provide more map control, it's a no brainer. Which is why their res cost needs to be increased.

Yeah, but aliens have lerks. :flaccid:

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What do the two lerk poogasses actually do? I get the impression that 2 is a poison, but I don't actually ever see anything come out.

The other poogas is Umbra. Supposedly it somehow defends your comrades and structures.

I've never used it. I always play offensively as an alien. (Well, that's what the wiki says. I've never seen it in NS2.)

VVVV - Really? Can you drop both gases by doing two visits through the same space or would they wear off too quickly?

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 11, 2012

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Torpor posted:

Dear lord, there's a 40 man server out there. 20 people per side just seems ludicrous.

Yeah, but think of all the awesome turtling the marines can do.

:xd:

That said, there's nothing more satisfying than hunting marines in a pack of skulks and wiping out 7 of them in less than 10 seconds. That's the stuff erections are made out of.

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

RadicalWall posted:

People really should get in the habit of using mines more. Putting down mines means you don't constantly have one skulk backdooring your stuff, forcing you to retreat.

Yeah, I love mines. After getting blown up by them enough times, I've learned how valuable they are.

They are sometimes the last defense against an alien push.

• Locked thread