Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RocketSurgeon posted:

The timeout happens to me too ever since I got the beta. Basically find a server with a few free spots, connect to it. Once it timeouts open the console and type retry and you should be golden.

Now that is an old half-life engine problem/solution I haven't seen for a long time. That takes me back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

This game is fun! I just did 35-17ish as a skulk ankle biting around. I put in a short stint as onos but didn't earn many kills. After dodging and hopping around everwhere it just felt so sluggish so I went back to biting ankles.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

wolfman101 posted:

Dear UW, please give me some feedback when I bite someone. I literally cannot tell if a bite is actually hitting anything because it always plays the same sound.

PS, my mic doesn't work in this game and I have no idea why.

I seem to get damage number popups when I hurt someone, that's been enough for me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Guesticles posted:

I am sorry your favorite glitch was not implemented, and you are being forced to suffer the indignities of no longer being able to move around the map any faster than someone with a green name.

He's talking about the joys of playing around with interesting movement systems. There's really no need for your douchebag reply.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Guesticles posted:

Wall-jumping, shadow step, Lerk, belly slide... yup, no interesting movement systems to play with in NS2.

Pointing out obvious things to give yourself the chance to be a jackass again? I was just defending a post espousing some nice things about glitchy movement.

His post after mine sucked, however. I don't see the need to be fighting over what isn't and will never be in the game.

For the record I play as aliens most because of the movement.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

A tip for those of you having trouble aiming at the little buggers, lower your mouse sensitivity.

Chances are you have it too high to begin with, even if you think you're comfortable with what you're used to. FPS twitch games need low sens.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

drat that was fun. Played my first game as commander and we won! It's hectic but really fun and we most likely won because my whole team was very helpful.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It's more or less the Half-Life engine which was more or less the Quake engine. I don't know what that means but everything controls smooth like a twitch shooter.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

drat I love commanding in this game. It's such a zen activity for me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

RadicalWall posted:

Man, this whole thing falls apart once people stop communicating. I think I just had three games in a row where we just got rushed because no one was paying attention.

So be the change you want! I find everyone 180s around if you just step up to say the first hello.

I had a bunch of killer rounds today. Hilarious ones too. When you get your crew chatting everyone lightens up and plays a lot better.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

mysteryberto posted:

Doesn't really seem like it has an active goon community that plays together.

Save for the occasional jackass who gets angry at video games into their microphone, I've not once felt like I wished there was a goon community. Despite the mass amount of newbies, everyone seems to work together. I've had a few where they don't but I haven't seen it to be that common.

It's a good sign!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

RadicalWall posted:

Personally I find aliens far more interesting and fun to play for all the varied gameplay and mobility. As a marine your only choices for most of the game are which gun to carry, and even then I find the assault rifle to be equally useful in most situations.

I agree. I think that aliens are far more interesting and I'm slowly being convinced that those who find it boring are not very good at it. This isn't a good thing for the game though! You shouldn't need to be a scoreboard topper just to find half of the game fun.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Spacebar still works, you just have to hammer on it a few times.

It's really annoying!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Xeno is loving amazing for bad skulks. The number of times I've flailed around like a retard, not getting hit but failing to land bites on anyone when I could have xenocided instead is ridiculous.

Xeno is loving amazing for good skulks. Usually my comm will ignore me asking for xeno asap (with good reason, not really something you want to waste time and res on but hey, it's a pub!) but after they watch me use it near the end of the game I'll more often than not have it done for me way earlier in the next game.

There are more opportunities to take out three marines at once in hallways than most people think.

How much damage does it do to buildings? Can you skulk rush a base and get everyone to xeno around a vital structure before you charge with a fade?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Anybody on right now? I've got the day off and could use some skulking around to kill a bit of time but the serverlist is a wasteland right now.

Add me, Zigmidge, on Steam and come bask in my skill.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I know you know I know. That's why I take skulk breaks from commanding my plebes to victory.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

floor is lava posted:

Had a really good com the other day. Would all push to kill a hive and he timed the recall right as the hive would die. So good. Wish all coms were as "gosu" as that dude.

What is the purpose of this? I can only see it if the aliens take your hive push as a chance to take out your comm.

Other than that you kind of want to hang around and build that place up.

Am I missing something?

vvv Hah. You're probably right. Panicky comms are worse than bad players in this game.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 6, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Your score.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

FuSchnick posted:

Why the heck does this game even have a score?

To remind me that, yes, I am in fact still awesome at this game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

octoroon posted:

Goons in some games can provide a safe haven for learning without too much serious judgment and can be literate and helpful.

Hahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

octoroon posted:

I know the goon stereotype but not every game is Eve online and you might wanna try it sometime before knocking it.

Dude I've been playing with goons for 10 years now. They can be nice and cool but only because we have something initially to bond over. After about 2 minutes you realize that goons are the rudest, most crass, unhelpful motherfuckers on the internet.

EVE just takes it way beyond that.

e: All of the above makes us also the most hilarious people to play with, to be honest.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 6, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Compared to this, TF2 is barely a team-based shooter. I can't get enough of NS2.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You have one too many keys in there. Stop using your flashlights damnit!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

FuSchnick posted:

If you turn off the "Atmospherics" video setting, flashlights will no longer act like giant fog cones.

Not what I mean, and hell no. This game looks gorgeous at max and I have flawless performance.

It's like Nuclearmonkee said, people use flashlights and start giving themselves away. It's probably useful when you're in the room as the power goes out, they all know you're there anyways.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ignore these guys. They're all afraid to lose.

Go command if you want to, it's a game. If you're new just say you are and ask for some guidance. Chances are there will be someone nice on your team willing to help. If you're on a team with someone who gets mad at video games then just find another server. It's as fun commanding one of them as it is playing alongside them and they'll be angry whether you're a bad comm or not.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't drag the FOV setting all the way to the right?

You are playing video games and are born after 1990?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Why didn't you get out and do it yourself?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Siroc posted:

Is this confirmed? Someone in game bitched me out for using welder when constructing something.

It feels like it builds faster. In any case, some buildings grow their health faster than the build so those get to 100% health LONG before it would sans-welder.

Keeps those pesky skulks from getting an easy kill before a project is finished constructing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I think you are lagging. This game is as lightning accurate and quick as Quake. Especially that pistol, drat.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

All you do to beat camo opener is slowly creep observatories. You don't have to worry about upgrades so much if they didn't take carapace or celerity.

I don't know how well that would hold up in anything but a public server but it pretty much neuters early game skulks.

The counter counter would just be a skulk gang. Thankfully pubbies seem incapable of that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Lerks are so crazy awesome I you don't even know.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm glad there is no fall damage. Fall damage has no place in fast paced first person shooters. You should be focusing on movement and aim, not whether or not the drop you're about to take is a few mapping units too tall.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

xzzy posted:

Being a speedy annoying prick is a ton of fun for me.

You really should try lerking then.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I only play this game to lerk or skulk around and rack up kills. Don't touch my loving scoreboard!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

If I don't hear "Zig, keep doing what you're doing" it usually means my comm is bad.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Door number 2!

Seriously though I just want to be left alone to kill marine after marine after marine. Teamplay is nice but to me in this it just means "Some other skulks are here to help me chew some ankles". I don't like playing Onos or Gorge, they rely too much on others being around.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Shotgun is for people who never miss :colbert:

Being forced to use the AR against skulks for the majority of a game is why I prefer to always play aliens.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

BlackJoo posted:

Something I wish they would implement is the option to upgrade/purchase a larger ammo clip for the default marine gun. With my horrible aim I can unload a clip in seconds without touching the skulk who is about to bite my feet off.

You're supposed to have someone else around you shoot at the skulks at your feet. If you're a lone marine who can't hit a skulk you shouldn't be asking the devs to make your guns better, you should be asking yourself why you're blowing it.

Marines, don't go solo. Unless you have great aim!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mushball posted:

Playing commander is still a daunting task for me so I wouldn't mind the ability for the commander to designate skilled players as sergeants. The other players would follow these sergeants into battle much like a squad protecting each other from aliens and the sergeants can learn how to be better leaders by ordering their squad mates around.

I actually really like this idea. I don't like to talk much into my mic while I play so despite topping scoreboards I tend to get ignored when I make a request in chat. Visual cues for the weaker players to follow would help a lot when I want to take a few guys to reclaim a node without putting on an alpha male vocal personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I wish people weren't such dicks about newbies in this game or thread.

• Locked thread