Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the nature of shooters IMHO. People will play CS or BF3 on bare min settings because the lovely low poly version with less blur is easier to see. I don't care if having blur makes me ever so slightly worse at the game, I accept it. It makes the game more FUN. Games are about fun, not about winning. (Unless you're a Spike, I guess). If anything, I'll accept the blur as a personal handicap because I'm so awesome.

This is from a while back, but I wanted to add in my two cents. I think that you're totally right, and that developers need to recognize that this is an issue. What's the point of them putting in all these different graphics options when vet players are just going to remove them anyway to get a slight advantage? Folks are going to increase the FOV to max, remove vegetation, disable screen effects, or dumb down the textures - just to get an advantage against new players that don't know better. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

I do think that there is a solution though: Make sure that the standard/recommended settings are also give the most gameplay advantage. If you remove the detailed vegetation, replace it with green blocks that obscure things even more; if you disable screen effects (like displaying red veins when you're damaged) then just flash to an entirely red screen. Developers shouldn't be leaving incentives for people to play 8-bit multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RabidWeasel posted:

I like how the alien vision mode deals with that thematically, you can choose to play in featureless wireframe mode where nothing distracts you from your killing but everyone gets the same choice.

Totally. Because it's totally transparent. It gives people what they want without making it obscure. Players shouldn't be cracking open their .ini files just to play competitively.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

whiskas posted:

Aliens have very poor tech on 1 hive. This is why more experienced comms will drop a second hive within the first minute of the game.

But doesn't that just lock the aliens team into a single start build? If having one hive is so weak, what's the point?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Actually the questions that were asked represent the fundamental design changes between NS1 and NS2. Asking why aliens have been locked into a single build, or why gorges have been relegated to heal bitches, is completely legitimate and deserves a non-snarky answer.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 2, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

quaunaut posted:

They thought of it, tested it, tried it for a long time, it wasn't as fun or smooth as simply the always-up. Also, it needlessly added difficulty for a nublet to do proper wallworking ganks.

In that case it seems that it would be really easy to just implement it as a client-side settings option.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Spengelbeiser posted:

Every other game I download from Steam installs the version of the dx runtime that it uses, to the point of redundancy -- I don't know why NS2 doesn't. I guess it's a minor first-time installation annoyance, but there is clearly a reason for it.

It's loving irritating that's why. "Why yes, I do have Microsoft .NET Framework installed. In fact I've installed it 15 times! Hey Bill Gates: Maybe DirectX should just be part of the operating system since EVERYTHING needs it!"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Spengelbeiser posted:

It is irritating, but judging by the people who can't run the game on Windows 8 there is a reason for it. It's ultimately Microsoft's fault, but it's still something you ought to take into account.

Of course it's Microsoft's fault. Basic OS services shouldn't have to run through an entire install just to indicate that they're functioning properly. And game distributors shouldn't be the ones to make sure that they're installed in the first place.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

randombattle posted:

When it comes down to it the most effective combat team in the world can be beaten with better tactical decisions and better over all strategy.

It's a nice thought, but honestly it isn't true. All your strategy can go right down the drain if your kitted-out Marines keep on getting worked by a pair of skulks. That's kind of what makes this game so interesting.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hey I didn't see any mention of this yet:

Unknown Worlds is doing a NS2 giveaway via Steamgifts. They're offering up 1,000 copies, with the winners being announced Saturday. Right now the odds are decent of getting a free copy. If you don't have the game (like me) I'd definitely suggest making an account and entering so that we can get more goons involved:

Kaal fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 16, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Their policy is to not refund games that are out.

This is such a lovely, terrible policy that consumer protection laws should smack down. It pretty much killed any interest I have in buying things directly from Steam.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Foma posted:

Video games always sucked at returns, I don't think you can return opened software.

Most stores are pretty good about allowing you to return boxed software, and virtually all of them will allow you to return unopened software. And considering that a strong DRM service like Steam means that it is very easy for Valve to manage returns, and everyone is forced to buy company scrip in the first place, it's pretty unconscionable for them to be nickle and diming folks.

My anecdote on this is that at one point I bought Medieval 2: Total War while it was on sale, and then realized that the version I bought (the one they were advertising) didn't include the expansion, which was also offered for the same price. I asked Valve to simply switch one with the other, and it took more than a week of back and forth e-mailing before they finally just refunded me the purchase. They alienated a customer over a $2.00 item.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 22, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

voltron lion force posted:

Hmmm you do seem massively uptight.

Yeah I expect to get what I paid for, or be offered a return. I'm the worst. :allears:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

So I just started playing during the rookie weekend, and I have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed. Am I right in thinking that the resource rate is like double or triple that of NS1? Most of a match is spent with Onos versus Exos, while the strength of the game is the marine versus skulk game. Maybe I'm just a rook who doesn't know what he's talking about, but playing with all uber units and resources coming out of your ears is pretty dumb.

I can easily top the server right now, though I'm sure that's just because it's rookie weekend, but half of my score just comes from waiting for onos/exo and laying waste to all I see before me. I can get used to the commander interface changes from NS1 and the occasional bugs, but it seems like the developers thought that NS1 games took too long and so they just pumped in resources to make the game end faster. I don't see the appeal.

Volmarias posted:

I've literally never seen anyone get vote kicked, no matter how awful they are.

Probably because it doesn't do much. I votekicked a guy who was being a racist shitheel, and he just rejoined the server. We must have kicked him like three times before finally giving up.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 31, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Well I can certainly understand why no one would want to play on rookie weekends then, and why people would concede early rather than deal with that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shady Amish Terror posted:

So, I've only played a few games so far, but my experience so far is that the patch has made things much easier for marines; does that seem to line up with what everyone else has been seeing? Drifters cost too drat much now, it's a luxury to have more than one around, while grenades are a sweet loving buy for the price; the early game seems to heavily favor marines and as long as they're aggressive, it just seems to steamroll from there.

I'd expect that much of the reason that the early game seems Marine-favored is that playing a skulk takes a whole different approach than playing a normal FPS. Since it's Rookie weekend, most of the players are skulks that are going to have difficulty picking up kills, and don't know how to stay off the ground and make themselves difficult to hit by moving erratically. The marines will be comparatively experienced. I didn't have too much problem racking up kills against two or three Marines that I could get the jump on as a skulk, at least in the early game before exos start popping up everywhere.

• Locked thread