Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

DelphiAegis posted:

I think there are definitely some balance changes to be made (skulks ripping apart a lonely travelling exo?)

octoroon posted:

I actually think this is intended, and it's a good balance choice. Exosuits are meant to be weaker if they aren't supported. During one of the casts or streams or interviews I think Charlie mentioned that he hadn't exactly anticipated exos being weak against skulks, but once it happened, he really liked it.

I like it, too. Exos are already designed to require support in the form of weld-trains, so it just means the weld-trains will also need to be somewhat proficient and cleaning up skulks. I think it worked out rather well. The only real balance issue with exos is that they are close to useless in competitive play because jetpacks scale so well with skill and exos are almost always too expensive to be a good choice.

Definitely. You should not be a lonely traveling Exo. You should also not be a lonely traveling Onos, most of the time. The Onos + Gorge and Exo + MAC or welder marine duo works together like a heavy/medic combo in TF2.

If you want to be a rambo, you're a fade or a JP marine.

Edit: It's not obvious but you can use the welder to repair the armor of basic marines, too. So if you grab a welder and you're with a group and someone takes a skulk bite or bile bomb and lives, be a bro and weld 'em back up.

I put around 30 hours into the beta in the months leading up to release and I felt kinda bad playing last night with all the new guys. For three hours or so I played Kharaa on mineshaft, two hours as commander, jumping in when the new guy commander would get bored or want to try something else. Because the new player marine team we were up against didn't really know how to put pressure on us we always had a crapload of res and I just gave them all Onos eggs and let them run around wreaking havoc. I also dropped shades on literally everything I built around the map, so wandering marines didn't even know how infested 80% of the map was.

There were multiple games where I had 11 res nodes and there was just nothing to spend res on. The alien team I was leading to victory had a great first experience though. :3:

Aphal fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Perestroika posted:

On another note, I'm also experiencing some pretty bad performance despite having a fairly solid system. The FPS is always hanging around 30, often going lower when there's a lot happening at once. Whether I'm on miminum settings or on 1920*1080 with all bells and whistles enabled hardly makes a difference. For the record, these are my specs:
3,2 Ghz dual-core (AMD X2 555)
4 GB DDR3 RAM
Geforce GTX660

The game is extremely CPU heavy. You have a very slow CPU by modern standards. I'm on a X3 720 2.4ghz and my framerate is similar. All you can do is hope that further patches increase optimization on the CPU side further (which they have been doing) or buy a modern CPU.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

No one in their actual office is a level designer. They have some remote ones on retainer that get paid to deliver stuff, much like Valve's current TF2 mapping set-up.

• Locked thread