Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor
Yeah those stats sound a bit wacky. For a comparison, the completely non-magical Coastal Trader from the end of Scroll of Kings has:

Speed: 10/20
Maneuverability: -3S
Crew 10/4
Cargo: 100 tons; can carry 50 marines for extended journeys, 100 for short-range stuff.
Dimensions: 13x9x2

Supah-hydrofoil ghost ship should be doing better than "tubby little single-masted ship" over here.

Anyways, ~~backstory times~~

It has been a long time since Chaan has been a child, or even hale. Memories of his childhood, like so many other things over the years, have deteriorated and been cast aside. Regardless of whether he has truly forgotten his younger years or simply refuses to speak of them, the furthest back anyone has been able to ask him about was twenty years ago. Even then he was already ancient, struggling to make ends meet as a fisherman off the coast of a tiny archipelago.

Every day he would get up hours before dawn, slipping into the jet-black water on a tiny fishing skiff that would be dwarfed by any of the various monsters lurking in the deeps. Once he had survived the punishing, relentless sun, he crept back onto shore a few hours after twilight, pulling in a meagre catch of perhaps a few dozen fish.

But even that was not fated to last; as time went on, the poor fishing became worse and worse; fish were strange, unhallowed mutations began showing up in nets, often putrefying nearly instantly and ruining an entire catch. Though the changes were gradual, within a dozen years the entire village was on the brink of starvation.

Luck, or perhaps Fate, is with him, and when he is merely delirious from the hunger manages to catch the largest fish ever seen in the village. For three days he fights with the noble beast, letting it tire itself out by dragging his tiny skiff along. On the third day the mighty fish tires enough that he can draw close and stab it with a harpoon.

That was the easy part; the blood begins to attract massive siakas, hungry to feast on what would be enough to feed the entire village for a week--to give strength back to failing limbs and maybe even let them survive long enough to make the trek to the next island over, where hopefully life would be better.

The village needs the fish; so, bravely, he steps into the breach, stabbing at the massive sharks with his harpoon and even seriously wounding one. Instead of simply cutting the fish free, Chaan throws himself into mortal peril, again and again stabbing at massive sharks which could eat him whole.

For a few seconds he has a glimmer of hope; if he could kill some of these siaka, he could bring them in as well. If only he could...

So he tried. Managed to get one in the eye, too. And shortly after that, stabbed it in the mouth. After that, the stomach, though there wasn't much harpooning going on by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Bumped up the speed and maneuverability a bit after comparing it to the mundane sailing ships.

I left out the essence engines because my thought is that fancy engines were just a little too hard for team abyssal to make/salvage at this point and would be a challenge to maintain. It's definitely meant to be a little below true state of the art.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 10, 2012

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
So, putting boring boat stats, current point pool and modules agreed upon.
code:
Wyrm      - 6
Rainbow   - 4
Never     - 3
Poem      - 1
Butterfly - 0 < - Big 'ol Jerkbag

5 - Midday Class Warship, First Age w/main gun
3 - Ghooooost AI
3 - Mobile Shadowland
3 - Workshop 
Thinking of putting any points from Butterfly into topping off the inhabiting spirit, as it's just generally handy.

Will propose some flavour once I get to writing opinions/introductions flavourpost.

Optional Heads up - Going to propose we set out some sort of charter/officer code, to be sealed by moonpact.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 8, 2012

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
If it wasn't obvious I have 1 point for GHOST SHIP!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Oh hey will you look at that

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Where all the singles ladies at?! I want to see some posts!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

As cool as C.C. is, her green hair was really not the look I wanted for Never so here is my flying archer ninja shooting gangsta style:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Hey, new announcement. For the sake of being clear on where everyone is and keeping things from devolving into a clusterfuck of confusion, could everyone please include their character's current location in each post?

mistaya: coooool!

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Willow, who are you 'nope'ing at?

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor
Uh at this point that is a crazy old dude talking to himself.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Milton, would you like to enlighten your captain re: The Customs of My People?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Now that we've passed a hundred posts and people have clear ideas of what the other PCs are like, it's time for CHARACTER IMPRESSIONS! For those of you who haven't done them before, these are a bit of a tradition for PbP games on SA, wherein everyone posts their characters' observations and opinions on all of the other PCs. Participation is optional, but if everyone does them I'll award a bonus 3 XP to all.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Assessment of General Staff of my Storm Mother-loving Ship of the Line...

-Wandering Rainbow, proven highly effective in their assigned station. In just two weeks of travel eight crew have been caught speaking well of the morale officer. They regard rainbow as a sign of good fortune, and a constant reminder of the higher purpose of our mission. They are prompt, agreeable, and generally inoffensive.

-Never Within Reach, Vigilant to the point of paranoia. Effective, prudent, but ultimately hazardous behaviour. Will require a safe harbour in which to take shelter from the slings and arrows of her duties in order to remain viable. Case in point - I have of late had slower response to orders relayed to her by way of the crew, than those left written in the margins of my log. As you already spend so much time in my quarters, consider availing yourself to their comforts.

-Last Forsaken Poem, Quiet one aren't you? Smile. Nod. Echo every pleasantry and word of praise. The... consummate civil servant, she. Possessing exceptional attributes and obvious talents, but has yet to find a chance to properly showcase her skills.

-Everlasting Butterfly, Has been safely stowed in the forward sections of deck four, where she and hers shall remain until otherwise needed.

... and of those poor souls entombed in a mass of rotting fish.

-Damnation, Showed appropriate ferocity and martial prowess back in Thorns. Sometimes needed that little bit extra to drive him into action, but once in motion does not fail to disappoint. Owes me a Dynast. I let him have the last one.

-Drowned Maiden, If there is a reason the west keeps it women off the sea, truly it must be the fear of more than one of her. A hardy bitch-of-the-line, more than welcome to defect.

-Daughter of Onyx, Perhaps the only thing on these waters more Voracious than myself. A thing to be admired, surely, but could stand to learn the value of reuse. Pity she so rarely wants to be seen.

-Waves, Ceaseless and Unending, Bore Me to Tears. Somehow proud to still be bleeding over the foolish passions of days gone by. Will gladly tow you off when you're left chewing on the shore.

-Watcher, You have been warned.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Watcher aka Old Man
A little bit arrogant and aloof, but that never killed anyone. Seems to have a strong rational mind and a healthy fear of danger. Some people would say these aren't classical pirate qualities, but it helps to balance me out. That said, I hope he doesn't make the coward's call one day and have us lose out on a good fight.

Ceaseless aka The Engineer
Solid guy. Handy with artillery. Not the most wild or outspoken pirate on the ship, but we can't all be drunken louts. Couldn't function without him. Still a nerd.

Daughter aka Death From Above
Clearly my closest companion on the team, seeing as she successfully delivered me onto an enemy vessel and let me kill at least one stupid lizard-woman. Good ideas. Good follow-through.

Maiden aka The Quiet One
Not impressed. Kill something! Fight something! Do something! Having a soulsteel blade and skill with it and not taking any skulls is a drat travesty.

Wyrm aka The Other Captain
Not bad with the whole cunning manipulation thing, but she's getting a bit of an ego. She needs more skulls and plunder right quickly if she wants to get away with this whole thinking she's the best of our bunch.

Poem aka The Nice One
Seems so quiet and nice. Probably capable of something terrible if angered. I want to see it when it happens.

Butterfly aka The Wizard
I was never a fan of little girls or wizards on my ships. I want to see why we're bringing her along. Surely a wizard in the service of the Deathlords is capable of something suitably nasty, no?

Never aka The Ninja
Well, averting a conflict with Lord Thunderbird by talking to him in flight was certainly useful. I want to see more of this flying thing. Rain death from above upon our enemies, that sort of fun.

Rainbow aka Grim Fandango
What exactly does he do here, again?

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 23, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

NWR Journal Entry #18, state of the crew, and overview of rival crew.

Captain Wyrms - Well worthy of title. Commands respect, delegates responsibility well, listens and takes note of my work. Glad to be working for. Has an extensive wardrobe that fits me quite well. Liberated two bottles of scotch from beneath bunk at log's behest, along with small makeup kit.

Everlasting Butterfly - Disturbing fixation on tea parties for created zombies, but is quite knowledgeable in that field. Can repair equipment for me if needed. Easily distracted. Considering attending tea parties to learn more. Side Note: Her tea cakes are suprisingly good.

Last Forsaken Poem - Avoid at all costs, do not speak to, do not associate with. I do not need a babysitter or a handler. High Alert, may have to eliminate... discreetly... if possible. May be impractical, in which case steps should be taken to minimize contact.

Wandering Rainbow - How this skeleton has managed to avoid the Neverborn's wrath given his... her... its... predilection for being nice and friendly to everyone is beyond me. Observation of this phenomenon is in order.

And as for the rest of them...

Captain Watcher - Smart, seasoned, sensible. Fits his ship well. Seems to want to keep a tighter hand on his crew than Wyrms. Useful, as long as our causes are aligned. I am willing to trade information with him under current circumstances, as long as Wyrms is not averse.

Damnation - :swoon: Now that's a pirate. Ahem. May get pointers on how to shred foes more effectively, if I ask. Probably my biggest competition in the killing department, but such style... No, no. Don't get too close. You know better. Perhaps offer to cover him during next battle. Or is that too forward?

Daughter of Onyx - Why drive when you can fly? Silly girl. Still, fierce and fun. Would like to race her one day.
Side Note: Research permanent sabotage of first world vehicles, just in case.

Waves,C&E - Lover's tool... perhaps. I see a rift between the engineer and his captain that may be exploitable. This one does not want to follow, although I wonder if anyone would follow him. Seems unlikely to venture far from his ship. Interesting fellow, should invite to one of Butterfly's tea parties. Resulting conversation most likely worth recording.

Drowned Maiden - Has remained mostly quiet so far, awaiting further actions before rendering judgement. Although perhaps as a fellow Day Caste that is not at all true, and I have been outsneaked. Possible. Must be sneakier.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Upon a few scattered sheets of paper, each mostly taken up with drawings and notes of some type of propulsion system can be found the following verses, written by The Waves, Ceaseless and Unending, Devour the Shore during moments of frustration.

Upon the dark shore gathered
Not dead yet not alive
Infamy and lightning afore
The mad crew, five and five

Shyest poem, master crafted
Between the cracks to slip
Mother's heart, pride, and glory to
Tear from her mighty grip

Rended and torn, the Lady's net
Patched not whole, once more
Upon the sea by loving hand
Flung. Ware the foreign shore!

A crop of bitterest damnation
Flutters delicate high
Through storm tossed sky, dripping honey
So coldly sweet all die

The joyful death made manifest
Argument eloquent
For thesis unknown unknowable
From Oblivion sent

Ambition writhes behind beauty's
Flippant deadly disguise
Straight and true unto the soul's throat
Wandering arrows fly

Two ships, like whips
Creak and crackle with glee

Ancient sin, come again
By new purpose made free

Deadly wings, water sings
"Never in another's lee"

Raked and shredded into form
Unchanged and unseen
Disloyalty beyond one death
Keeps well her new throat clean

Fast becomes blurred starvation
Whirling ravening maw
Floating cross the sea of despair
To crush mortals with awe

Ferocity uncontrollable
Upon controlled crashing
Embarks the fall of night and pain
With tiger's tail lashing

Molder of flesh metal words mortal
Creation's pain drinking
Thirst overwhelming reason yet
From duty unshrinking

Casting open the gates long guarded
Riding endless torrent
With age's skill ageless effortless
Holding tight each fragment

Two crews, like screws
Tighten Creation unto splinters

Two dice are cast, a furious blast
To bring Beyond to the centers

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 24, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Spawn of the Devouring Wyrm
Calm down! I'm not going to touch your smelly living people. Now, if they got hurt, I'll gladly fix them for you. Alive or dead, doesn't matter to me, they're your pets. Either way. You tell me which way you want the wind to blow, I'll give you that wind.

Wandering Rainbow
I never would have thought a skeleton could be so fabulous. She's fun to look at, but not everything in Creation is willing to talk to people wanting to destroy Creation. Even fewer will talk to a skeleton like her. Also, I'd love to invite you for tea but I'd feel bad since you can't really drink any.
What do you mean it's not a she? I don't care! You can't tell anyway.

Never Within Reach
Will you take me flying sometime? Please? Pleeease?

The Last Forsaken Poem
I feel like I haven't gotten a chance to know you at all. Come down and have tea with us sometime!

(insert other crew here, to be completed later this evening)

Bolt-From-Brightest Day
I don't trust you, you're too shiny. You have to know what we are, and yet you want to work with us. We can work with you, but I still won't trust you. Now...if you were under my control, that'd be different. Maybe once we're done and I've had a chance to see you in action, I'll take you in as one of my pets.
Oh...the things I could make you do if you were my pet...there's a lovely bonnet I have that would look great on you!

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Spawn of the Devouring Worm
Touchy, are we? Kinda peeved that you potshotted me!

Wandering Rainbow
Egads, what is this? Am I supposed to actually recognize this dancing skeleton as an equal or compatriot?

Never Within Reach
Hell if I know. The wings are interesting at least though.

Daughter of Onyx
Model crewmember; knows what's up and how to get things done.

Damnation
It takes cojones of soulsteel to volunteer being thrown from the ship like a cannonball. I approve--again, good initiative, good followthrough.

Waves, Ceaseless...
Making my boat better and better. Seems solid, too. No-nonsense. I like that.

Drowned Maiden
I hear she's a murdermachine but haven't seen much all of that from her. Seems a bit late to the party, at least for a Day.

Forsaken Poem
Fairly quiet, but seems attentive; knows when to bunker down and get to work. That helps.

Butterfly
Appropriately paranoid? Seems to get really worked up, though. Glad she's not on my ship--she seems somewhat high-maintenance.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Bardle, there's been some backsass about how to transport Poem into battle.

Please drop into IRC and sort out how you'll ride to glory.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
Tactical Assessment: Crew of the USS Storm Mother-Fucker

Our counterparts are almost entirely distaff, which must come as a great shock to most of the sailors in these waters. Underestimate them at your own peril, sir. Each of them brings something valuable to their team. Their ship appears quite a bit fancier than ours, to boot. We might be somewhat more heavily armed, but they can outrun us, no question. At least until our engineer gets those Essence engines up and running.

Wandering Rainbow, Midnight Caste: This one knows things. He? She? It? is also a fantastic conversationalist! So cheery; I get the feeling that it's prone to showing off. Makes for entertaining visits, at least. Considering the skeleton's love of talking, we might be able to make use of its vast stores of knowledge. With the appropriate bribes. Which, offhand, I have no idea as to what that might be.

Never Within Reach, Day Caste: Gotta admit, she's got some style. Those wings of hers are pretty nice. I prefer my ride, but I have to give credit where it's due. Takes some stones to go talk with a thunderbird in midair. She's got a talent for staying unnoticed, too. I advise against turning your back on her. If you could arrange for a race, I'd be most grateful. Assuming I can get my hands on her wings beforehand.

Spawn of the Devouring Wyrm, Moonshadow Caste: The Captain of the Storm Mother-Fucker; worthy of the title. Bit high on her own tits, but I suppose having the favor of the Mask will do that to a woman. Certainly an attractive one, too... Might have to arrange some sort of security conference. Especially since her larder is better-stocked than ours. No offense, sir.

The Last Forsaken Poem, Moonshadow Caste: While on the subject of attractive ladies, the other Moonshadow is... compelling. Almost glad I wasn't assigned to their ship; I'd be too distracted to get any work done. Apparently not just a pretty face, though. She just hasn't had the chance to shine. Yet. I'd be careful of letting her speak first, myself.

The Everlasting Butterfly of the Decadent Garden, Daybreak Caste: Sorceress, engineer, tea aficionado. If we need to disable the Storm Mother-Fucker, she'll need to go, first. It'd be a shame, honestly. Her tea is actually quite nice, and she's quite pleasant company. Bit attached to her zombies, though.

Personal Notes: Crew of the Imminent Revelation of Oblivion

My own motley crew of killers, brigands, thieves and scoundrels.

Daughter of Onyx and Silver, Day Caste: That's me! Head of Security & Reconnaissance for the Revelation.

Drowned Maiden of the Unending Abyss, Day Caste: My Caste-mate abord the ship; quite possibly more dangerous than I am. At least in a stand-up fight. I'm looking forward to working with another former assassin - teamwork makes it fun!

Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, Daybreak Caste: The old man is quite a capable captain; dabbles in necromancy, to boot. Terrible eye for provisions, but no one's perfect. He'll get us there, and he'll get me to Guild plunder.

Last Damnation of Atlantis, Dusk Caste: The first mate, Damnation, is fun! He's a good sport, so long as whatever I cook up ends with him dismembering someone. A true pirate - he's a bit rough around the edges, but I'm sure he'd clean up well. Rather charming, in his straightforward, murderous way.

The Waves, Ceaseless and Unending, Devour the Shore, Midnight Caste: Our able Engineer. He's apparently working on improving the Revelation. I just hope that we can get some cold-storage for fresh meat. The living crew seems to get excessively nervous around me without it. I'll remind him again; he seems to have ignored my suggestions the past few times.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
My work is apparently blocking IRC :(

I am assuming you mean how I will jump from one ship to another? Hmmm perhaps I could use the exp we have gotten to get a charm to do that. I will look into this after work here.

I knew I forgot something.. darn.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Oh, it was that intended but not made clear that Poem should travel via Never. This way both teams would have a close combatant and ranged fighter, and since neither of your animas are active yet you two could sneak in through the fog while hostiles are distracted by Bolt and Wyrm's very obvious presence.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Just an FYI guys, I am pretty swamped today and tomorrow. I have a big thing going on at work, I have a promotion/interview thing I am studying for, that is taking all my free time focus. So I will continue updating after tomorrow. I should be able to update late tomorrow though, sorry :(

I suppose you can NPC me during these troubling times.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Something I'd meant to include in feeding procedure but forgot to mention - Dousing the bite zone with the crewman's rum ration. Such to sterilize the wound and add flavour. Wouldn't want half the crew getting gangrene every time Wyrm needs a snack.

Acceptable to retroact it in there?

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I am now done with my interview and I should be making a hearty update tomorrow, for now I am absolutely exhausted. I will read the mountain of words I have missed tomorrow. Sorry for the delay GM sir/maam :(

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

It's okay Bardlebee, glad to have you back in the game!

Bardlebee, Mighty Dicktron, and PrinnySquadron: Don't forget character impressions! They aren't all that time-consuming, and if everyone does them it's bonus XP.

PrinnySquadron: you still with us?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

PrinnySquadron I'm sorry to hear that things are hectic. I will say that you actually couldn't have picked a better time, though, since current proximity to Skullstone makes it easy to write Maiden out while leaving open the chance of coming back. Best of luck, dude.

Everyone else: guess we're reopening recruitment.

To prospective recruits: PCs are currently at fifty-four (54) XP. If you want to submit a character or ask any questions, get on #Abyssals on SynIRC, where I'm usually online.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blighted Jackal Face Master

Concept: Selfish Seductive Seafarer.
Caste: Moonshadow.

Background:

Abandoned by his parents at the age of five, Jackal grew on the streets of Port Calin as a beggar and conman, frequently tricking the merchants there with his golden tongue and gift for the theatrics. With time, he slowly grew to create a small gang of rabble rousers and brigands, sowing discord within them in order to prevent being ousted himself. His group soon started work with smuggling, stealing opium from the guild and reselling it to their enemies. Of course this was noted by the city's authorities and merchants from the guild, who quickly crushed Jackal's gang and sentenced him to death by hanging. After expiring, though, his exaltation was claimed by the Lover Clad, and he rose from the grave with new and unfound powers. Now Jackal sets his sights even higher, higher than the Port, higher than the Guild, and perhaps as high as the demands of his Mistress...

Personality:

The Jackal values many things in this world. Lovers, Riches, Power. However, if there's something he values the most is himself. A coward at heart, he usually tries to defuse most situations with his cloying honeyed words or simply striking before his opponent has a chance to react. He also prefers to have a large amount of people obeying his every command, either by his manipulations or by force. He regards most Abyssals like him as competitors or hindrances, and the orders of his Deathlord as annoying and counterproductive to his own devices. While the life of crime he leads is comfortable, Jackal's current goal is to 'legitimize' his business by creating a strong merchant organization under him to take over the Guild's lucrative activities.

Artifacts since they'd be piddly tiny on the PDF.

quote:

Windblade Carrier (WOTLA)

Soulsteel: At will, the pilot can extend jagged blades
like bat wings from each side of the craft. The pilot attacks
by “ramming” opponents with these blades as a Speed 5, Rate
2 attack. The craft takes no damage from this ramming, but
the target suffers 10L + attack successes. Opponents killed
by these blades are typically beheaded or cut in half.
Speed: 34/70mph
Maneuverability: +4R (Lore 1, Ride 3)
Endurance: Consumes 10 motes per hour; suffers one level
of unsoakable bashing damage for every 50 cumulative hours
of operation since last maintenance.
Crew: 1/1
Cargo: Pilot’s personal possessions only. Particularly heavy
loads, such as a pilot carrying a second person in her arms,
halve Speed and apply a -3 Maneuverability penalty.
Armor: 10L/15B
Health Levels: Ux7/Mx4/Cx3/I/D
Weapons: Usually none; jade and soulsteel models have
weapons as noted.
Other Notes: Characters fl ying on a Windblade-class personal
transport are treated as holding a tower shield (see Exalted,
p. 377), but this protection is not compatible with other
shields or cover (only the best value applies). A piloted
transport and its pilot both have a Dodge DV equal to ([the
pilot’s Dexterity + Ride + Essence + craft’s Maneuverability]
÷ 2), and the pilot may use her Parry DV to defend against
attacks launched at her vehicle or herself.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 30, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thesaurasaurus posted:

To prospective recruits: PCs are currently at fifty-four (54) XP. If you want to submit a character or ask any questions, get on #Abyssals on SynIRC, where I'm usually online.
I'm interested but I also am not able to get on for long enough periods at a time to really get on IRC. I see you don't have PMs but do you have an email I can hit you up at? (Also I am still pretty new at this darn PBP thing :downs: )

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Nessus posted:

I'm interested but I also am not able to get on for long enough periods at a time to really get on IRC. I see you don't have PMs but do you have an email I can hit you up at? (Also I am still pretty new at this darn PBP thing :downs: )

Actually, I just now bought Plat and archives, so PM away!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Actually, I just now bought Plat and archives, so PM away!
It still won't let me :ohdear: Will try in a bit though, thanks for the heads up!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Violet Venom Ghost

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5f-xgvuhPeFVHFYempHblpFYWs

History: The man who would become the Violet Venom Ghost was a merchant in the City of the Steel Lotus, supplying luxury foods for the institutions that served the Dragonblooded who had come to the city. His hard work and his natural charm made him a success, and he soon became a successful merchant. Indeed, life seemed to be going his way. Until he crossed the Guild. Seeing his success, they sought to recruit him. He refused. Not out of any moral objection. He didn't object to the Guild's existence or its behaviors, but he liked his independence, and while there were certainly advantages to joining, he didn't want them to limit his freedom of action.

Unfortunately, for him, what the Guild can not control, it must destroy. They decided to ruin him, by slipping poison into a feast he was catering. The Terrestrial Exalted in attendance didn't die, of course, their exultation allowing them to resist poison, but many of the other guests did.

When the merchant discovered what had happened and how the Guild had ruined him, he grew despondent, because he knew he was a dead man. Not waiting for the city to arrest him, he took poison himself, deciding that it was better to die by his own hands than by another's. It was then that the Silver Prince came to him, and he died and was reborn. So, a man who was ruined in the attempt to preserve his freedom chose to swear service to another, in the hopes that this would help him get his revenge.

Personality: To the world, the Violet Venom Ghost is the consummate peacemaker...he's the one who, when there's a fight, gets in the middle of it and works out something everyone can live with. IF these deals end up falling apart after a little while and the groups hate each other more, well, that's just what happens sometimes He's quiet, stays back, wants to know what YOU think. You can trust him, tell him anything. He won't judge you or hold it against you.

In terms of his actual personality, he's pretty much a shell. He's largely a mirror. All his passion is pretty much dead, except for his loyalty to the Silver Prince. In terms of how he actually feels, he's perpetually frightened and angry;
angry that he's forced to spend so much time dealing with obvious inferiors, and frightened that he'll fail and be destroyed by his master.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 8, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Nessus posted:

It still won't let me :ohdear: Will try in a bit though, thanks for the heads up!

Ack, apparently I needed to manually enable PMs after upgrading to Plat, try now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I probably need to reformat this but here's the pitch and statblock!!

Once upon a time there was a young woman who was not as smart as she thought she was.

The type is well known. Portia Arachna was born to a couple of no great wealth and burrowed, grublike, into the Skullstone educational system, managing to put the great majority of her effort into obtaining trivial information. Her examinations put her in an apprenticeship to be a clerk, and here she had some marginal social success, because clerks are much of a muchness, and didactic discussions of the latest necrodrama or the different ways in which one can prepare a spidercheese over the vile yet potent spirits of the Skullstone state distilleries were considered a high old time.

While going on a walking tour with several cousins along the seawall, Portia fell off the wall. This was rather a problem as the portion that they were touring was several stories up, and Portia's grublike demeanor did not grant her that noble creature's immunity to many harms. She hit the ground and she splattered. The thick curved glass lenses fell from her face as she looked down on the ruin of her guts and her shattered thighbone.

When guardsmen went down, expecting to find fodder for the corpsemill, they instead found a staggering and exuberant deathknight, jumping up and down - in agony - and informing them about the fine things she had learned in sliding her bone back into her leg! She was promptly indoctrinated.

--

The Forbearing Blossom of the Razor-sharp Thighbone is not what the Bodhisattva had expected to get; Portia had been slated to become some form of savant, but sometimes unplanned things happen. She was able to infer the Deathlord and his staff's subtle disquiet at just what this would lead to; she has interpreted this, characteristically, as meaning that her death was planned by malicious elements. Her cousins? Foreign agents? She does not know.

The former Portia is a shallow quasi-intellectual by nature, although the burning impulses of her Exaltation have coaxed her into the martial arts. Her voluminous appetite for learning a bunch of trivial bullshit served her well now that she was confronted with IMPORTANT bullshit, and a certain degree of natural grace came to her, which has since been cultivated into a lethal set of techniques. She has been encouraged discreetly to begin studying naval warfare.

The purpose of her setting out on a career of piracy is twofold: First, educational, both for the Bodhisattva's desire to get some kind of super kung-fu commodore out of his investment; second, the former Portia has both extravagant personal habits (now on a far, far greater stage than previously) and a preening pride in her position as a death-knight. Bringing back a few trunks of booty, or better a ship groaning under jade and rarities, would both increase that status and probably could be directly spent in some kind of reckless orgy of excess.

quote:

Name: The Forbearing Blossom of the Razor-sharp Thighbone
Concept: Martial Arts Wannabe Savant
Caste: Dusk
Anima: A jagged femur set in coruscating dark jewels
Motivation: To learn the strike that will end life itself
Patron: The Silver Prince (heh heh)
Intimacies:
Her own new position and rank (I completely deserve it)
Literature and lore (I don't care if I can't read it, I should hold onto it for later.)
The Martial Arts World (maybe THEY will accept me ;_;)
The New Order (The Silver Prince said it, I believe it, that decides it, skullstone gently caress yeah)
The "Silver Prince" (Thank you, Ghost Dad, for everything)
The temperate (Withering disdain for those who don't know how to have a good time)
The living (Fools!!)

Attributes

Strength 4 Dexterity 5 Stamina 4
Charisma 2 Manipulation 2 Appearance 3
Perception 4 Intelligence 2 Wits 4

Abilities

Caste:
Archery 0
Martial Arts 5
Melee 0
Thrown 0
War 1

Favored:
Occult 4
Socialize 5
Sail 3
Integrity 1
Dodge 5

Misc:
Lore 2
Linguistics 1
Awareness 4
Resistance 2

Specialities:
Martial Arts (Hungry Ghost Style) 1
Occult (Underworld essence theory) 1
War (Naval strategy) 1
Socialize (Ain't No Party Like A Skullstone Party Because A Skullstone Party Is Not Limited By The Hindrances Of Mortal Flesh) 1

Backgrounds:
Liege 2 - While in no disfavor with the Bodhisattva, her obvious scholarly bent is one of those 'see where this goes' things, and as such she does not have as much backing as, say, the various super-pirates he steers around.
Whispers 2
Artifact 2 - Artifact silk armor, possibly an additional trinket TBD, a bonus point of artifact to offer up unto the ship since I'm a new arrival
Face 1

Charms:
Martial Arts
-First Excellency

Hungry Ghost Style:
-Blood-Scenting Hunger
-Leaping Horror Approach
-Lunging Phantom Method
-Shrouded Claw Attack
-Hungry Ghost Form

Dodge
-Second Excellency
-Flitting Shadow Form
-Flickering Wisp Technique
-Uncanny Impulse Evasion

Occult
-Spirit Sensing Meditation
-Corpus Rending Blow
-God-slaying Torment
-Shadowlands Circle Necromancy
--Summon Ghost
--Shade Prison Amulet
--Flesh-Sloughing Wave
--Iron Countermagic

Socialize
-Second Excellency
-Exquisite Etiquette Style
-Imprecation of Ill Manners

Resistance
-Ox Body Technique (-1/-2/-2)

Willpower: 7
Compassion: 3
Valor: 3
Conviction: 3
Temperance: 1

Essence: 3
Personal: 16
Peripheral: 38

Combat figures:

Will go here tomorrow because math is hard and the hour draws late

Bonus points:
Essence 3 (7)
WP to 7 (2)
Conviction from 2 to 3 (1)
Occult 2 to 3 (1)
Awareness 1 to 4 (3)
Perception 3 to 4 (4)

18/18 BP!! Hooray!!

Spent XP:
Charms - Shrouded Claw Attack, Hungry Ghost Form (16 xp); Shadowlands Circle Necromancy (8 xp; have not yet chosen exact spell, must find book, suggestions welcome)
Attributes: Strength 3-> 4 (12 XP), Stamina 3->4 (12 XP).
Keeping 6 in reserve if that is OK.

e: Update to bring to specs at 130 XP, April 2013

Occult 3 to 4 (-5)

MORE CHARMS:
Flickering Wisp Technique (Temperance flaw if those are in effect), Uncanny Impulse Evasion (-16)

Spirit-Sensing Meditation, Corpus-Rending Blow, God-Slaying Torment (-24)

3 additional necromancy spells! (-24)

Spells known:

Summon Ghost
Shade Prison Amulet
Flesh-Sloughing Wave
Iron Countermagic

13 XP remaining; is it kosher if I bank that up, Thes? I want to put a bit more into artifact for my holy ship-offering but that won't be a lot, but I also can't see an obvious use for them. Suggestions welcome.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 15, 2013

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Plutonis, welcome to team Black Liquid Sorrow. I'll work your character's intro into the next update.

Everyone else, believe me when I say this was a drat hard call to make. I saw some pretty great concepts, and you'd need an electron microscope to measure the margin of victory here.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Just voicing that I am still here Captain Thesaurasaurus! I just felt there wasn't much for Poem to do as of yet as things were still being planned out and I was late to join the meeting room at the moment, so I am just playing it as I am training.

I should have impressions up tomorrow though and stat changes from the exp done as well.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I keep not finding ways to work it into IC things, but I'm buying Rose and the little V'neef as allies, 15xp. I've discussed the terms of their defection with Thes on IRC.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can't wait to start hammin' it up!

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
As I told Thes on IRC, I have been having some Serious Computer Problems. Currently only have access to a machine whilst at the library. I'll try to get a post up later today, just so Onyx still has a hand in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Bardles I'm up for Poem/Never chat if you are.

• Locked thread