Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zorak posted:

Also gently caress the protagonist's hair

But the protagonist doesn't have any hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

JosephWongKS posted:

But the protagonist doesn't have any hair.

Of course the protagonist does (even if it's only worn during public appearances outside of teaching class).

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

But Oda didn't say in chapter 1 that Luffy had to reach Raftel and find One Piece in one year's time or the world would be destroyed. There was plenty of space for the plot and the number of characters to expand.

They'll pull a Deathnote: (Deathnote spoilers)
Koro-sensei does get assassinated, lifting the one-year deadline. A new villain appears and the manga continues!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Safe and Secure! posted:

Koro-sensei does get assassinated, lifting the one-year deadline. A new villain appears and the manga continues!

This made me realize what would be absolutely great, even if Koro-sensei is the best part of the manga.

The class trains for most of the year, manages to kill Koro-sensei, and then the manga turns into the adventures of a class full of assassins. Either hunting down whoever created Koro-sensei, or just doing random assassinations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Safe and Secure! posted:

I really hope they don't do this since that's the universally agreed upon point where Death Note dropped in quality, but on the other hand if it truly is getting as much marketing as One Piece did in its first year then I imagine they're in it for the long run.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know, they're almost definitely going to have Koro-sensei actually be a good guy and have him be training the classroom to deal with some other threat, possibly a more powerful member of his race, that actually did all the horrible poo poo in the first place and it will be annoyingly dumb.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

You know, they're almost definitely going to have Koro-sensei actually be a good guy and have him be training the classroom to deal with some other threat, possibly a more powerful member of his race, that actually did all the horrible poo poo in the first place and it will be annoyingly dumb.

That makes no sense, as the only reason they even have a shot at assassinating him is because he isn't fighting back. An evil version of Koro would simply kill all of them in a minuscule fraction of a second.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

That makes no sense, as the only reason they even have a shot at assassinating him is because he isn't fighting back. An evil version of Koro would simply kill all of them in a minuscule fraction of a second.

Not to mention that a "more powerful member of his race" would take the story well into DBZ territory, given how ludicrously super-powered Korosensei already is.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Oh right! Something I forgot to link in the OP.

Matsui did a guest chapter for PSI Saiki Kusuo. It was linked in the Surreal thread last week. So, for those of you looking for more Koro-sensei, well, here's a bonus chapter!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JosephWongKS posted:

Not to mention that a "more powerful member of his race" would take the story well into DBZ territory, given how ludicrously super-powered Korosensei already is.

Maybe he doesn't have to be any more powerful, but be different in a way that Koro himitself can't stop it whereas humans might.

Also, what a wonderfully absurd and enjoyable manga so far.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Pure speculation: Koro-sensei's plan is to make students that can change the world and being able to contend with a moon destroying monster that moves at mach 10 prepares you for that kinda thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Look at the magazine this is published in.

I rest my case.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WickedIcon posted:

Look at the magazine this is published in.

I rest my case.

One would hope they've learned their lessons from Bleach.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Autumncomet posted:

More advertising. :stare:

In all the marketing hes green, but in the manga hes yellow? What gives?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

JosephWongKS posted:

One would hope they've learned their lessons from Bleach.

Considering how much money Bleach has made at this point, maybe they have.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KoB posted:

In all the marketing hes green, but in the manga hes yellow? What gives?

He changes color based on his mood.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the fact that he's obviously taken over Japan already, and that therefore we are doomed.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Roland Jones posted:

He changes color based on his mood.

What mood would green be then?

They mentioned what a bunch of his colours mean but it's hard to remember since it's in greyscale so you don't get the visual reference.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Green stripes means he's taunting you. I guess he's supposed to be REALLY taunting people in that advertisement.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoatLord posted:

Green stripes means he's taunting you. I guess he's supposed to be REALLY taunting people in that advertisement.

Well, he did take over Japan. He's got a lot to brag about there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Breaky posted:

Maybe he doesn't have to be any more powerful, but be different in a way that Koro himitself can't stop it whereas humans might.

Also, what a wonderfully absurd and enjoyable manga so far.

You haven't read Neuro, have you?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Falls Down Stairs posted:

So poking around the web to see what other folks think of this series,

people have nicknamed it "AssClass".

:geno:

In assassin's creed we differentiate them by calling them AssCreed, AssCreed2, AssBro and Assalations.

AssBro was probably the worst.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SirDan3k posted:

Pure speculation: Koro-sensei's plan is to make students that can change the world and being able to contend with a moon destroying monster that moves at mach 10 prepares you for that kinda thing.

hmmm HE did say destroy, but that doesn't have to mean physically destroy the planet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You haven't read Neuro, have you?

Never heard of it, why?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Vincent Valentine posted:

In assassin's creed we differentiate them by calling them AssCreed, AssCreed2, AssBro and Assalations.

AssBro was probably the worst.

I dunno, I've heard it as AssBroth, which is arguably worse.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zorak posted:

A thing that bothers me if you approach the topic realistically even if he's otherwise invulnerable, wouldn't suicide tactics work extraordinarily well against him? I mean, Karma did that one fall and attack thing, but there are methods that are so large in their range that it'd be pretty infallible, I'd think.

They could just let a nuke go off and take out the entire district. His reaction time isn't nearly quick enough to evade that :v: And even if he could, he'd be betraying his teacher agreement by letting all those kids die, so he'd be forced to die one way or another.

Maybe this will come up later as the timeline gets shorter? Dunno.

Korosensei acknowledged that suicide tactics work well in the second chapter I think, when the class bullies pushed the bird haired guy to try and kill him with a knife. He praised the methods they used, just not their cowardice in trying to get someone else to do their work. I think you're underestimating just how fast Koro is though, even before pushing himself to make more and more duplicates and move faster after meeting the school chairman. Prior to then he had the time to pick a drink out of thin air using a eye dropper, one drip at a time and muck about with other stuff before it hit the ground. If he had any warning at all I'd imagine he could flee the effective range of a nuke with at least a couple of the students before it hit. Hell he could probably outrun the blast wave of one even if the actual explosion was the only warning he had by the looks of things.

GoatLord posted:

My current mostly baseless theory is that Korosensei has no intention of destroying Earth, he just concocted this whole plan, blowing up the moon included, so that he could become a teacher as a horrible squid-monster.

I'm thinking much the same thing personally. The fact he says he used to be human, and as someone else said, his silhouette looks like a mutating human in a flashback, along with the mention of him once having wanted to be a savior makes me think he deliberately destroyed the moon using his new powers after an experiment gone wrong and took up the woman's dreams of teaching to try and make the world a better place. Destroying the moon was just a way to give himself a massive bargaining chip by the looks of things.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Breaky posted:

Never heard of it, why?

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is Matsui's only previous work. The protagonist, Neuro, is a bizarre demon who eats mysteries for meals but prefers to eat ones solved by someone else, so he grooms a human girl to be a mystery solving machine for him. It definitely has some passing similarities to Assassination Classroom in the premise, and the one thing we can take away from Neuro for reading into this series: it's absolutely not going to have Koro solve everything. We've already seen hints of this with the principle completely stopping Koro in an instant with a wire puzzle.

We can also take away that this series is going to be really really weird and nothing is going to be what it looks like on the surface, but we're already getting a lot of that from Assassination Classroom itself.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

gnome7 posted:

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is Matsui's only previous work. The protagonist, Neuro, is a bizarre demon who eats mysteries for meals but prefers to eat ones solved by someone else, so he grooms a human girl to be a mystery solving machine for him. It definitely has some passing similarities to Assassination Classroom in the premise, and the one thing we can take away from Neuro for reading into this series: it's absolutely not going to have Koro solve everything. We've already seen hints of this with the principle completely stopping Koro in an instant with a wire puzzle.

We can also take away that this series is going to be really really weird and nothing is going to be what it looks like on the surface, but we're already getting a lot of that from Assassination Classroom itself.

The other thing about Neuro: It was really, really good. I'd mention that.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Vengarr posted:

The other thing about Neuro: It was really, really good. I'd mention that.
I did call it a "cult hit" in the OP. It was never that popular, but the people who like it absolutely love it.

Speaking of Neuro, the first volume of Assassination Classroom has already outsold Neuro's first volume after only 3 days on shelves. To quote from the link:

quote:

Assassination Classroom - Best selling new Jump series since Bakuman, but because Bakuman had a debut week with a full 7 days on the chart it is possible that this series would have sold more than it given the same amount of time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Neuro initially presents itself as a detective manga. It is definitely not a detective manga. Later on, it became much more violent but it was never really a fighting manga, either. There were a lot of grotesque monsters, but it was not a horror manga. While there were a lot of jokes throughout, it was not a comedy manga.

What I'm getting at here is that you shouldn't expect Assclass to conform to the usual rigid genre definitions normally found in shounen jump. It may however get very, very dark.

Oh, and never watch the Neuro anime. They made it into a detective show and it had a filler ending.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Neuro initially presents itself as a detective manga. It is definitely not a detective manga. Later on, it became much more violent but it was never really a fighting manga, either. There were a lot of grotesque monsters, but it was not a horror manga. While there were a lot of jokes throughout, it was not a comedy manga.

You can definitely call AssClass a slice of life manga :mmmsmug:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wonder if this will get as brutal as Neuro did in its later chapters? I wouldn't have thought Weekly Jump would allow (Neuro spoilers) a main protagonist to be killed via point blank gun shot to the face, on-panel no less. The part with Sicks making his minion saw himself open was pretty violent too.

I also wonder if it will have any delightfully xenophobic moments like Neuro did.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This manga is great, and at least partially a shot at how god-awful and stifling the Japanese public school system is. The school practically makes every problem with the modern Japanese public school a way of life.

The translator missed an opportunity for fun transliteration with Mrs. Jelavic, though; if he/she added an "h" to her last name, she could be Big Sis Hellabitch or Miss Hellabitch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jellybitch? :v:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

MadRhetoric posted:

This manga is great, and at least partially a shot at how god-awful and stifling the Japanese public school system is. The school practically makes every problem with the modern Japanese public school a way of life.

The translator missed an opportunity for fun transliteration with Mrs. Jelavic, though; if he/she added an "h" to her last name, she could be Big Sis Hellabitch or Miss Hellabitch.

In many languages the 'C' is still pronounced as a 'Ch', so it's not completely lost.

In fact, Wiki says it's a Croatian name which does just that:

jělaʋitɕ

Where 'tɕ' has a 'Ch' as in 'Cheese' sound.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
From the first volume of the manga.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Tiptoe? Does he have toes?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The (chapter 16 spoilers)Jesus Fresno thing came out of nowhere and blindsided me so hard that I can't stop laughing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RuBisCO posted:

The (chapter 16 spoilers)Jesus Fresno thing came out of nowhere and blindsided me so hard that I can't stop laughing.

That is basically everyone's reaction to that moment and I love it. The Naruto headband from a few chapters earlier is also golden.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Chapter 17's out.

I don't think I'm a huge fan of this one, to be perfectly honest. I wish it had been the kids who saved the day instead of Koro-sensei, but whatever I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

AssClass 17

^:argh:

I really want that Koro-sensei plushie.

• Locked thread