Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dan7el posted:

You'd think with all the training these assassin boys and girls have had with how to kill their teacher, they'd each be less of a pushover for their more hateful school-mates. Seems the opposite.

I keep waiting for them to show their skills. Nada.

Koro-sensei to the rescue again. I understand he's cool and awesome and all that, but it'd be nice to see the kids do something on their own for once without him spoon feeding them all the way through it.

It's not really Koro-sensei to rescue. It's a buildup for something really amazing to happen. Them becoming punks and trying to kill the other students wouldn't prove anything and the manga would turn into Hitman Reborn. I mean, it's pretty obvious at this point that this manga has zero to do with killing Koro-sensei. It reads more like a social commentary on the state of some inhumane schooling practices and what it is like for a teacher to come in and turn it around.

I mean, it's Chapter 23. Give it some time. The humor has been consistent and whatever is going to happen next should be enough to satisfy our hatred of those rear end in a top hat students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MadRhetoric posted:

I don't think Jump would be cool with actual high school students killing other high school students. Also, in not acting violently, they show themselves to be spiritually superior. It's some Karatedo restraint poo poo.

No one is saying they have to stab them to death or anything. I just want to see that smug rear end in a top hat get knocked around a little.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah, I can totally see any of the kids actually directly retaliating like that totally backfiring and justifying to the rest of the school their horrible treatment of Class E. They already get blamed for their own bullying as it is. I'm sure they'll prove themselves in some way eventually, but they've got a loving huge amount of institutionalized contempt aimed at them so far!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I would love if the main guy figured out how to kill Koro on day 1 but chose to wait on it because he likes him so much.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if Ritsu is going to help with their latest plans. :3:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I caught up to this and it's pretty funny. Koro's a pretty cool dude, the other teachers are pretty fun as well. However and I'm sure this is absolutely the point, I hate waiting for the inevitable "Oh man, Class E's totally gonna prove themselves" because I hate everyone else in the school so much and want to see their snotty faces rubbed in the dirt.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

To be honest while most of the other Classes' kids are complete fuckers, i'd rather see Class E screw around with their douchebag board director. It's already been shown that he's the responsible for them being ridiculed and mistreated by everyone else in high school. Of course that we can't have him killed, but i'm sure they'll come up with a plan to make a fool of him like in Animal House or Revenge or the Nerds.

...Now that i think about it, Korosensei really reminds me of Dean Craig from Community, what in the gently caress :psyduck:.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dan7el posted:

You'd think with all the training these assassin boys and girls have had with how to kill their teacher, they'd each be less of a pushover for their more hateful school-mates. Seems the opposite.

I keep waiting for them to show their skills. Nada.

Koro-sensei to the rescue again. I understand he's cool and awesome and all that, but it'd be nice to see the kids do something on their own for once without him spoon feeding them all the way through it.

Perhaps this is a slightly more realistic aspect of an absurd situation. It's only been 3 months in the story and none of the kids are Saiyans so you can't expect them to be master assassins already.

Personally I agreed with this sentiment when it was regarding the punks on the school trip, but the Board Chairman made it pretty clear that Class E cannot fight back against the rest of the students at their school.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Zyla posted:

Man I don't want Koro-Sensei to die. It's gonna be a real tearjerker if/when that day comes :smith:

I don't want Koro-Sensei to be assassinated or be removed from the story period. If I were a student in class E, I wouldn't want to graduate at all. :smith:

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
I just caught up with this after clicking this thread at random, and... wow.

Can I just say I really like it how Korosensei actually has a great deal of weaknesses and flaws? I don't even mean the BB thing so much as being prone to panicking or showing off to the point of getting himself in trouble despite his powers. It makes for a much more interesting read than if he was smart and competent all the time.

Also, Jelevic certainly sounds like a Croatian surname to me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What'll happen is that they'll eventually prove to the rest of the school that they're equal but then choose to stay in class E.

Anyone saying "but they should beat up the other classes" or "but they should play tricks on the chairman" isn't getting the message.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I Love Annie May posted:

I don't want Koro-Sensei to be assassinated or be removed from the story period. If I were a student in class E, I wouldn't want to graduate at all. :smith:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an arc where one of the students cracks under the abuse and pleas with the class to let the school year just run out instead of facing a lifetime of treatment like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Namtab posted:

Anyone saying "but they should beat up the other classes" or "but they should play tricks on the chairman" isn't getting the message.

You can get the message and still want them to stand up for themselves regardless. Standing up for yourself isn't mutually exclusive with becoming a better person through having a better schooling system than the current one. Especially in a manga about training kids for assassination. Even if the assassination part is only a fantasy blanket to wrap around the story and themes, it's still a part of the overall package and so it's reasonable enough to expect that the kids will be at least able to defend themselves.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 15, 2012

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tsob posted:

Even if the assassination part is only a fantasy blanket to wrap around the story and themes, it's still a part of the overall package and so it's reasonable enough to expect that the kids will be at least able to defend themselves.

But the point is that the kids are smart enough to know that retaliating physically will just wind up making matters worse for themselves, seeing as the entire system is set up to keep them at the bottom.

They fight the students/mess with the chairman, they'd just get suspended or expelled, both of which would directly make their situation worse.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Oxxidation posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an arc where one of the students cracks under the abuse and pleas with the class to let the school year just run out instead of facing a lifetime of treatment like that.

That would be the saddest arc. A kid so beaten down that he would literally choose the end of the world if it meant a few more days of warmth and kindness. :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Namtab posted:

But the point is that the kids are smart enough to know that retaliating physically will just wind up making matters worse for themselves, seeing as the entire system is set up to keep them at the bottom.

They fight the students/mess with the chairman, they'd just get suspended or expelled, both of which would directly make their situation worse.

And the manga could easily sidestep that problem if it wanted to by not presenting it as an issue in the first place. There's a difference between beating up the kids that are looking down on you and standing up for yourself when those kids are beating you up. The chairman could just as easily not have appeared in this issue to make the situation worse and showcase the kids becoming independent and standing up for themselves without Koro-sensei's help. They weren't even at the school when it happened, just around town. And even if you want to argue that by defending themselves outside the school grounds the chairman could arrange to have them expelled with no evidence beyond the good student's word then they could simply avoid the students attacks without actually fighting back.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If they go that route hopefully is gonna end like GTO with a positive outlook on the situation, new friends and Koro sensei making goofy stuff.

It would be amazing to see Onizuka and Koro Sensei together :allears:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

And the manga could easily sidestep that problem if it wanted to by not presenting it as an issue in the first place. There's a difference between beating up the kids that are looking down on you and standing up for yourself when those kids are beating you up. The chairman could just as easily not have appeared in this issue to make the situation worse and showcase the kids becoming independent and standing up for themselves without Koro-sensei's help. They weren't even at the school when it happened, just around town. And even if you want to argue that by defending themselves outside the school grounds the chairman could arrange to have them expelled with no evidence beyond the good student's word then they could simply avoid the students attacks without actually fighting back.

I don't understand how you're reading this manga and seeing this way.

"They could simply avoid the students attacks without actually fighting back." That's bullshit; we already saw what happened when a Class E student didn't act like a puppy and lick the upperclassmen's boot. Recall, the "protagonist" merely said something like "Kill me? You don't look like you've ever killed anyone before," and he was reported as scowling at upperclassmen. The chairman saw what really happened and was about to expel him for that alone. So that's out.

Also, "And the manga could easily sidestep that problem if it wanted to by not presenting it as an issue in the first place" is a super weird argument to make, right? The manga did present it as an issue, so it is a problem. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you and you're talking about what the mangaka could do to turn this into GTO as opposed to how this could actually work as GTO.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

tsob posted:

They weren't even at the school when it happened, just around town. And even if you want to argue that by defending themselves outside the school grounds the chairman could arrange to have them expelled with no evidence beyond the good student's word then they could simply avoid the students attacks without actually fighting back.

In all fairness Japanese schools will absolutely punish students for things that happen outside of school. At my girlfriend's school, if teachers saw students hanging out at the mall during exams, they would berate them for not being at home studying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

In all fairness Japanese schools will absolutely punish students for things that happen outside of school. At my girlfriend's school, if teachers saw students hanging out at the mall during exams, they would berate them for not being at home studying.

And besides, the school in AssClass seems to exemplify basically every negative aspect of strict educational systems cranked up until the knob snaps. Trying to logic away their rules of conduct is like arguing about physics in Toriko.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I just binged on the manga tonight. It's great.

I must disagree with the theories put forward in this thread though, I think that it is much simpler than a new bad-guy. He is going to destroy the world(as we know it) by causing change to cascade from the class. He just exploded the moon in order to distract everyone and give him leverage. Considering what we have seen him do so far, I could see him repairing it when this is all over.

Also, I can foresee crying in the future when we learn more about that last promise to that dying woman.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

And besides, the school in AssClass seems to exemplify basically every negative aspect of strict educational systems cranked up until the knob snaps. Trying to logic away their rules of conduct is like arguing about physics in Toriko.

Ill have you know that when Toriko first entered the Gourmet World we talked about physics for a good 2 pages.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Ill have you know that when Toriko first entered the Gourmet World we talked about physics for a good 2 pages.

I know. I know all too well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Volume 2's cover has been unveiled!

I am detecting a pattern.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I hope every cover is "Koro-sensei expresses an emotion".

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Updated list of Korosensei's "weaknesses":

1. He lets his guard down when he tries to act cool.
2. He is surprisingly quick to panic.
3. He is petty.
4. His punches are weak.
5. He can't resist boobs.
6. He is humble and subservient to his superiors.
7. He has no patience for wire puzzles.
8. He gets motion sickness.
9. He can't sleep on a pillow other then his own.
10. He worries about appearances.
11. He can't handle hot food.
12. His head swells up to 33% larger when he gets wet.
13. He craves juicy gossip.
14. Hackneyed plot developments make him cry.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 31, 2013

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Notebook kid is going to figure out a 100% escape proof method. He'll confront Koro Sensei and try to convince him to give up without actually killing him. Koro Sensei will admit the plan if flawless and agree. The story ends without us ever finding out what it is.

Fans all declare that the method of assassination was not important and it was all about the characters.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
I would be fine with that, more or less... :shobon:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

seigfox posted:

I would be fine with that, more or less... :shobon:

Me too, but only if they mention that the pillow weakness is essential to the plan. :v:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Dr_Amazing posted:

Notebook kid is going to figure out a 100% escape proof method. He'll confront Koro Sensei and try to convince him to give up without actually killing him. Koro Sensei will admit the plan if flawless and agree. The story ends without us ever finding out what it is.

Fans all declare that the method of assassination was not important and it was all about the characters.

A story is all about the characters, though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MadRhetoric posted:

A story is all about the characters, though.

Most stories perhaps, but not all stories. I doubt you'll find many people who'll say that Rendevous with Rama is a bad story for instance, but it's definitely more about the mystery of Rama and themes of scienctific hope than the characters themselves.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

tsob posted:

Most stories perhaps, but not all stories. I doubt you'll find many people who'll say that Rendevous with Rama is a bad story for instance, but it's definitely more about the mystery of Rama and themes of scienctific hope than the characters themselves.

To be fair, Rama is also about the effects of zero gravity on big tits.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Chapter 124
:geno:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

His face really is like an emoticon!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hahaha the whole "Mission start" panel is pretty good.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Well, for all of you wondering how come we haven't seen Class E using their badass military training to stealthily own bullies, there you go.

Also cool getting a good look at who's who and what they can do in this chapter. Somebody should match the captions about individual students' skill-sets to the class diagram at the beginning.

edit: typo

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 21, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

More like
:geno::geno: :geno: :geno::geno:

It's going to be a while before that gag gets old.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

More like

The mangaka did it at least twice, and I loved it both times. I could see a trend starting here....

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

More like

My favourite part of that this time is it was mirrored in the chapter-end Koro-sensei icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fixed that for you.

And finally we have names for the entire class! And abilities for a bunch of people we haven't seen before! I wonder which of the two is better, the boy's side best marksman or the girl's side best marksman? And the same question for the knife handlers too. I wonder if that is something we'll find out later.

• Locked thread