Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Treating LSD like a "normal" video game is setting yourself up for disappointment anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

It was free on Japanese PS+ a while back, actually. If nothing else, at least you can get the game for a much-more-reasonable $8 that way.

My copy is from the Japanese PSN so it was 500 yen. I only go for crazy prices on games where you drive mechs and/or trains.

Some day I will buy/build one of these to complete the cycle.

On that subject, my brother and I were talking the other day about what the best Mechwarrior 2 game was. He thought it was Mercenaries, but I like Ghost Bear's Legacy a bit better...

rdbbb posted:

Treating LSD like a "normal" video game is setting yourself up for disappointment anyway.

I wonder if it would have worked better as a PS2 game. At least then you wouldn't be moving around at a snail's pace at 8 frames a second.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

rdbbb posted:

While I agree with this, I would say that it doesn't even make for an interesting experience, game or otherwise, after the first 20 or 30 minutes either. The most interesting thing about it are the random videos you'll sometimes get. Those are pretty creative.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Welp, was wondering what was taking so long for my other PS2 debug, actually checked eBay and it was flagged as delivered successfully 3 weeks ago. I hope someone else at my office has the box and just completely forgot to give it to me the next day.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

univbee posted:

Welp, was wondering what was taking so long for my other PS2 debug, actually checked eBay and it was flagged as delivered successfully 3 weeks ago. I hope someone else at my office has the box and just completely forgot to give it to me the next day.

You mean you don't obsessively check shipping progress?

I've been obsessively checking the shipping progress on a game I'm importing that literally does not have a tracking number. I just open Amazon to make sure that it still says it'll be here by the 30th. Maybe there's a tracking number now? Nope. Still not.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

peeNamaste posted:

You mean you don't obsessively check shipping progress?

I've been obsessively checking the shipping progress on a game I'm importing that literally does not have a tracking number. I just open Amazon to make sure that it still says it'll be here by the 30th. Maybe there's a tracking number now? Nope. Still not.

It's pretty nuts because it "shipped" almost impossibly fast (like 5 days from the U.S. which sounds surprising) but I was just waiting for it because customs can be weird/stalling and it doesn't do any good for me to keep checking tracking info. Then today I check and find out welp, something definitely went wrong, and delivery claims have to be initiated from the seller's side so hopefully that can pan out. At least this time my Paypal transaction is above-board and well within the 45-day window.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't think I'll ever classify it as retro, but what's you guys' favorite two PS2 games?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Medullah posted:

Are there any *quality* USB NES and SNES controller replicas? The ones on Amazon all have pretty crappy reviews. :(

No, just buy official and use an adapter -- it's not like there would be a cheaper alternative with the same quality anyway. These replacement pads are good for SNES if you've worn your old ones out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161361900165

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you plan on playing it, sure. They added a tonof extra levels for the SNES port that aren't in any other version, and it supports the SNES Mouse if you wanna play that way.

There's also a DS Cameltry game, but for some weird reason it wasn't called Cameltry or On The Ball - it's "Mawashite Koron" in Japan and the oh-so-descriptive "Labyrinth" elsewhere (a name shared with at least two other terrible unrelated shovelware games).

(I'm on a Cameltry kick at the moment. Play Cameltry y'all)

Good to know, I'll definitely hold on to it then. I wish there was some sort of spergy wiki or something detailing every minute difference for every cross platform port. Cause, I mean, if I'm going to play Alfred Chicken or something, I want the ~definitive experience~. The closest I've found is Hardcore Gaming 101, which sadly does not have an article on every game in existence.

Is the DS Cameltry a new game, or a port? I thought I remembered hearing it was poo poo due to hosed up physics or something like that. If I'm wrong, I'm gonna have to pick it up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Getsuya posted:

LSD: Dream Simulator - Goes for $200-ish used, no idea how much it is new. Screw this game. Like Harmful Park it's easy to get due to PSN now, but unlike Harmful Park there is no reason anyone should want to own this. Yeah the whole 'this is based on dreams and is meant to literally simulate dreaming' concept may seem attractive, but in reality this game is boring. Ridiculously, mind-numbingly boring. It will take you maybe an hour to see every corner of the different worlds, and since none of the random events that happen have anything to do with your character (after all you're just dreaming, you can't actually interact with anything) there's very little motivation to dive back in and explore it all again. Last time I dusted it off and played it on my Vita I ended up somehow getting stuck in an endless dream, unable to end it or wake up despite most of my other dreams only lasting about 5-10 minutes. I finally had to throw myself off a cliff in the game just to snap my character out of it. This game should be a bargain-bin title, and for anyone who buys it it'll be nothing but an expensive PS1 trophy since no sane person would pop this in their machine more than once.

At least it's better than Proteus :v:

Seriously though, there are quite a few indie games out now that try to do what LSD did, and none of them are nearly as amusing as LSD and they're all way more pretentious. The game was way ahead of its time, I don't think too many other games (if any) did what LSD did when it was first released.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Rare Japanese games - golden Rockman 4, golden FDS Golf Japan, golden Super Bomberman and golden Punch Out.

Basically anything from then that was gold in Japan were part of special giveaways. Cheapest I've seen for one of them was $500ish. They're so pretty too :sigh:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

noirstronaut posted:

I don't think I'll ever classify it as retro, but what's you guys' favorite two PS2 games?

My PS2's lasting legacy is that it was the DDR system. Dance Dance Revolution was at the peak of its popularity in the US around my freshman/sophomore years of college, and we'd have DDR parties at the dorm all the time. Even met one of my best friends through DDR. I have every PS2 DDR, In the Groove, and two still-working RedOctane Ignition pads—every so often I'll bring them out, get winded from a 7-footer, and reflect on how laughably out of shape I've gotten.

You can't really condense all that down to one title (I guess I played DDR Max the most), but Dance Dance Revolution collectively would count as my top PS2 game—no contest.

Beyond that I'd probably have to say King's Field: The Ancient City. It hasn't aged well (or at least the sluggish controls haven't), but it was the best 3D action-adventure game I'd played at the time. It was great seeing From Software finally get the acclaim they were due with Demon's/Dark Souls.

Runners up: Suikoden 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, the first Jak & Daxter

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Rare Japanese games - golden Rockman 4, golden FDS Golf Japan, golden Super Bomberman and golden Punch Out.

Basically anything from then that was gold in Japan were part of special giveaways. Cheapest I've seen for one of them was $500ish. They're so pretty too :sigh:

At least there are a significant number of golden Nintendo games: there were 10,000 of those given away. I don't know how many Gold Bomberman carts there were but it's probably in the same range. There are precisely eight golden Rockman carts for the games where they made golden carts. Those might as well be Nintendo World Championship carts.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Lepecard posted:

Congrats on 1000 pages everyone!

Hey URL grey Tea, did that situation with that Mr. Gimmick cart you bought get resolved?

Curious because I still have a chance to get that guy's Sweet Home repro cart.

He finally offered to allow me to return it, but a local used game store had a flasher so they just reflashed the rom to new EPROMs and affixed them to the board - good as new :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Good to know, I'll definitely hold on to it then. I wish there was some sort of spergy wiki or something detailing every minute difference for every cross platform port. Cause, I mean, if I'm going to play Alfred Chicken or something, I want the ~definitive experience~. The closest I've found is Hardcore Gaming 101, which sadly does not have an article on every game in existence.

Is the DS Cameltry a new game, or a port? I thought I remembered hearing it was poo poo due to hosed up physics or something like that. If I'm wrong, I'm gonna have to pick it up.

I can't vouch for any of the other versions as I haven't played them yet - I really only started looking into them over the last week or so - but I can tell you that the DS game is an original game, not a port. There's also a Cameltry game for iOS, and the Taito Legends Power-Up compilation for PSP includes a new version of Cameltry alongside the arcade original.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

URL grey tea posted:

He finally offered to allow me to return it, but a local used game store had a flasher so they just reflashed the rom to new EPROMs and affixed them to the board - good as new :)

Hate to say it but called it on the bad EPROMS! Glad to hear you got it worked out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Finally, a figure maker that's willing to pay tribute to the one true Batman:

http://necaonline.com/49235/products/toys/action-figures/batman-7-action-figure-1989-video-game-appearance/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of EPROMs, I snagged a Stunt Race FX with the intentions of making it into a Star Fox 2 cart. Is there anyone here who can flash EPROMs? I can buy all the stuff to do it, but it seems like a questionable use of money when all I want to flash is a single PROM. I'd be more than happy to pay for the PROM and some extra to cover your time. Send me a PM maybe if you can do it?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What is it with figurine/comic art and the need to give every super hero a 2' dong

Edit: regarding the Stunt Racer FX conversion - just so you know the pcb used for SFX games used TSOP memory instead of DIP so soldering them is quite tedious.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 24, 2014

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

flyboi posted:

Hate to say it but called it on the bad EPROMS! Glad to hear you got it worked out.

You were dead on. Now if you can assist me with my new issue, clearing the palace level...

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

xamphear posted:

Speaking of EPROMs, I snagged a Stunt Race FX with the intentions of making it into a Star Fox 2 cart. Is there anyone here who can flash EPROMs? I can buy all the stuff to do it, but it seems like a questionable use of money when all I want to flash is a single PROM. I'd be more than happy to pay for the PROM and some extra to cover your time. Send me a PM maybe if you can do it?

If you are anywhere in Ohio (or don't mind shipping) an import shop called Warp Zone makes repros ($30ish ea. when they supply the cart so possibly lower if you supply your own?) and could probably do this for you.

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 24, 2014

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Finally got around to checking out a Book Off in my area, and I'm glad I did. This location has a ton of accessories for good prices. Walked out with a few PS1 controllers and an N64 memory card for $10. Great place for accesories... they had a ton of controllers for PS1/2/3, original X-Box as well as light guns, memory cards, etc. Games were cheap too, but their N64 selection was pretty weak. Just noticed there's another one of these around me. Gonna have to check it out in the next week or so.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Fatal Frame 2 wins out hands-down for me. As a horror fan I really couldn't ask for anything more out of a horror game series.

And for traditional turn-based RPGs you just can't beat Suikoden 5. Seeing a full-blown Suikoden-grade story in 3D with tons of voice work was just amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just encountered what may be the worst bug I've ever seen in a licensed console game. There have been bugs that are annoying, ones that are game breaking, and ones that ruin your game, but this one makes the game completely unplayable. It should have never gotten past certification if Sony hadn't been asleep at the switch (it was a launch title) and despite there being a "greatest hits" version of the game, it has never been patched to fix this bug. You guys are getting to hear about it because it's a problem with a ten year old game on a dead platform.

After the talk the other day, I remembered that I had a copy of Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix for the PSP still in shrinkwrap and even though I'm not fond of a lot of things in THUG2 I thought I might as well break it out to play while watching television. The game starts up and I'm prompted with a warning that I don't have enough space to save the game (this is where IT professionals groan because they know exactly what's happening). Fine, I think, I'll just clear some old stuff off, but it turns out that I have over two gigs free on the memory stick.

So here's where a bit of computer know-how gets to make you angry. I already suspected but checking online confirms that THUG2 Remix can typically only save to memory sticks (or whatever Sony called their propriety memory scheme) of 2GB or smaller. You see, some genius at the hackjob developer that made the PSP port used a signed 32-bit integer for the free space check. What this means is that it can find free space up to 231-1 bytes, or one byte shy of two gigs. If you have one more byte than that then it thinks you have -231 bytes and cannot save.

Even supposing that Sony was only selling up to two gigabyte memory sticks at the time (and they were actually giving you that space rather than rounding things down a huge amount like every other storage manufacturer out there), they still should have caught this.

I haven't tried filling up my PSP's memory stick to see if that has an impact. Honestly, it's not worth the effort. I just had to share since it's rare that I encounter a game breaking bug before reaching the title screen.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 24, 2014

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

URL grey tea posted:

If you are anywhere in Ohio (or don't mind shipping) an import shop called Warp Zone makes repros ($30ish ea. when they supply the cart so possibly lower if you supply your own?) and could probably do this for you.

Do they really? I was planning on going there next time I went to Columbus. I wonder if they could make a Shin Megami Tensei repro for me

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I just encountered what may be the worst bug I've ever seen in a licensed console game. There have been bugs that are annoying, ones that are game breaking, and ones that ruin your game, but this one makes the game completely unplayable. It should have never gotten past certification if Sony hadn't been asleep at the switch (it was a launch title) and despite there being a "greatest hits" version of the game, it has never been patched to fix this bug. You guys are getting to hear about it because it's a problem with a ten year old game on a dead platform.

After the talk the other day, I remembered that I had a copy of Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix for the PSP still in shrinkwrap and even though I'm not fond of a lot of things in THUG2 I thought I might as well break it out to play while watching television. The game starts up and I'm prompted with a warning that I don't have enough space to save the game (this is where IT professionals groan because they know exactly what's happening). Fine, I think, I'll just clear some old stuff off, but it turns out that I have over two gigs free on the memory stick.

So here's where a bit of computer know-how gets to make you angry. I already suspected but checking online confirms that THUG2 Remix can typically only save to memory sticks (or whatever Sony called their propriety memory scheme) of 2GB or smaller. You see, some genius at the hackjob developer that made the PSP port used a signed 32-bit integer for the free space check. What this means is that it can find free space up to 231-1 bytes, or one byte shy of two gigs. If you have one more byte than that then it thinks you have -231 bytes and cannot save.

Even supposing that Sony was only selling up to two gigabyte memory sticks at the time (and they were actually giving you that space rather than rounding things down a huge amount like every other storage manufacturer out there), they still should have caught this.

I haven't tried filling up my PSP's memory stick to see if that has an impact. Honestly, it's not worth the effort. I just had to share since it's rare that I encounter a game breaking bug before reaching the title screen.

No it's not an issue for bigger memory sticks, if you have less than 2GB free space. It's also not an issue if you already have a save file and even have more than 2GB free space. I never even knew about the issue before reading about it because my 8GB memory stick was reasonably full. Fun game though, apart from that save glitch and some missing graphical effects the PSP version is really good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

noirstronaut posted:

Yakuza 2 is hands down my favorite game for that system.

Second I would have to say is Persona 3: FES. I put a shitton of hours into that game.

Runners up are Star Wars: Starfighter and .Hack//G.U..

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd go as far to say try Persona 4 as well. I haven't played the previous games in the series so the experience was new to me (well, playing it that is) and it quickly became one of my favorite JRPGs. The Way of the Samurai games are good too if you can find them cheap. The combat is a bit weird but the choose-your-own-adventure style of game is really fun. Some games last a few hours while others can end in minutes.

The Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games are good action RPGs; One Piece Grand Battle is a fun Power Stone arena beat em up; Zone of the Enders series is an incredible action mecha game; the Onimusha series is a fun Feudal Japan Resident Evil that only got crazier with each new game; Okami is a pretty unique adventure game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces for GBC might have the worst, most "how the hell did they let this ship?" bug of any game I've played - if you beat one of the overhead mini-stages and then try to enter a regular stage there's a (very good) chance the game will freeze and/or delete your save.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

GOD HAND and Ace Combat 5, by far, I still play both pretty frequently.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I want to play one of these so bad, but no convention around Florida has ever had them and this needs to be remedied.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces for GBC might have the worst, most "how the hell did they let this ship?" bug of any game I've played - if you beat one of the overhead mini-stages and then try to enter a regular stage there's a (very good) chance the game will freeze and/or delete your save.

No, that honor belongs to the PSP European port of Tales of Eternia. There's a plot point that you HAVE to go through to progress through the game that, in launch copies, triggers a freeze 100% of the time. The original press of the game is literally unbeatable.

It's a decent way in, too, just to push the aggravation a little further.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Swelter Discharge posted:

Do they really? I was planning on going there next time I went to Columbus. I wonder if they could make a Shin Megami Tensei repro for me

For sure. Last time I visited they had a Sweet Home english NES cart they made themselves, along with Bio Force Ape and something else I cannot remember.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

I like Ghost Bear's Legacy a bit better...

This is because you're correct and have good opinions. :respek:

Also if anyone wants to play in Battletech pods, come to the Kirkland, WA area and hit up The Airlock with us. Airlock rules and literally right down the road is an awesome retro game store, Amazing Heroes.

(West coast best coast)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Midnight Club 3 and Burnout 3.

Yep. I'm that guy.

e: Possibly Tony Hawk's Underground (1), now that I think about it.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 24, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

noirstronaut posted:

Ace Combat Zero and We Love Katamari. I wish Namco was even half as good now as they were back then.

Gradius V, R-Type Final and Silent Hill 2 are all very close to being my favorite two PS2 games as well.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Games that render themselves unplayable or lose their own saves are small-time; the real crooks are games that delete the saves of other games. I'm sure some fighting game players might remember the bug in Soul Calibur 3 that could render an entire memory card unusable in that regard, and that sure as hell didn't get fixed.

I also recall the PC game Myth II, that was infamous for having a bug where depending on where you installed it, attempting to uninstall it could delete everything on your hard drive. :unsmigghh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Or that Viewtiful Joe 2 PSM disc that wiped memory cards... EVE Online's update removing the 'wrong' boot.ini, PSO2's update emptying out C:\.. good times.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I can't remember which expansion update for Neverwinter Nights 2 deleted the entire voiceover audio for the original campaign, but that's pretty "up there" as far as game release blunders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Picking out just 2 PS2 games is hard work. But here's one I really like that doesn't get enough love

• Locked thread