Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Random Stranger posted:

If that's too much then just order directly from Japan.

Click the link. That's a CIB PAL copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Doing a little digging it looks as if the Wii will do 240p. Man, I might have to finally move on from my old xboxes as emulation devices. I love them and all, but the Wii is much easier to get hacked and functional.

How well does the Wii do Saturn / Dreamcast / PS1?

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

It basically doesn't.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

Doing a little digging it looks as if the Wii will do 240p. Man, I might have to finally move on from my old xboxes as emulation devices. I love them and all, but the Wii is much easier to get hacked and functional.

Last time I checked (admittedly this was 2010) GBA emulation was also crap on the Wii. Mother 3 was unplayable due to the random frame skipping which made doing timed attacks impossible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

Click the link. That's a CIB PAL copy.

I know. It was a joke about how expensive any option for getting Gimmick is.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

URL grey tea posted:

I'm not sure why people are so adamant that a game can't be worth more than X amount... what about arcade cabinets? Extremely rare games with low print runs? You can have a ceiling of sanity, sure, but that isn't very :retrogames:

All your examples are things that have always been expensive, you're basically describing the "rich folks" side of the hobby. If I had tons of cash I'd be big into arcade stuff too. But most people are talking about console games that had normal print runs that were like 75% cheaper a year and a half ago, poo poo's just crazy right now and it doesn't mean anyone's less of a fan of this stuff if they decide not to pay whatever the rear end in a top hat gougers are charging. This hobby for most people isn't about scoring some rare treasure that's probably pretty poo poo to actually play and displaying it on a shelf like a trophy, it's just about enjoying old games and that shouldn't be a huge moneysink.

The current prices won't stay this way forever, right now is a very faddish time for retro games and it totally makes sense to set limits or avoid buying and just get a flash cart until it dies down a bit.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Asbrandt posted:

It basically doesn't.

flyboi posted:

Last time I checked (admittedly this was 2010) GBA emulation was also crap on the Wii. Mother 3 was unplayable due to the random frame skipping which made doing timed attacks impossible.

Alrighty, good to know. Thanks!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

TheRedEye posted:

Awesome side effect: I think this could allow RGB out from an NTSC Wii. Could be good for RGB emulation box purposes.

Is RGB on the Wii somehow different from the component cables you can still buy at Wal-Mart?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
GBA emulation is fine on Wii.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Because I've never checked it out but am now interested, is PS1 playability on PS2 fine for all games? I'd rather just play on my PS2 than get a PS1.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Random Stranger posted:

I know. It was a joke about how expensive any option for getting Gimmick is.

Not really, the ps1 version is on PSN. Granted that version is a pile of poo poo, but it's like 15 bucks to get a PSN card.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr E posted:

Because I've never checked it out but am now interested, is PS1 playability on PS2 fine for all games? I'd rather just play on my PS2 than get a PS1.

Every game worth playing, yes. There are like a half-dozen games that don't work on PS2's (and I think later models have a few more) but I think other than Wing Commander 3 you probably haven't heard of any of them, and with good reason.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Imagined posted:

Is RGB on the Wii somehow different from the component cables you can still buy at Wal-Mart?

If you've got a CRT without component (like a PVM monitor) then yep.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

univbee posted:

Every game worth playing, yes. There are like a half-dozen games that don't work on PS2's (and I think later models have a few more) but I think other than Wing Commander 3 you probably haven't heard of any of them, and with good reason.

Alright, that's what I figured.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Mr E posted:

Alright, that's what I figured.

That's not 100% correct though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

Depending I'd say FF anthology, Tactics, and Metal Gear VR missions are biggish titles. Granted, the former two can be played elsewhere.

The larger list for later slims includes Driver and Worms, though I'm not sure if it's just one Worms or what.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

The current prices won't stay this way forever, right now is a very faddish time for retro games and it totally makes sense to set limits or avoid buying and just get a flash cart until it dies down a bit.

Maybe in general but that copy of Earthbound will always be expensive just like that copy of The Incredible Hulk 181 will always be expensive.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

Depending I'd say FF anthology, Tactics, and Metal Gear VR missions are biggish titles. Granted, the former two can be played elsewhere.

The larger list for later slims includes Driver and Worms, though I'm not sure if it's just one Worms or what.

Huh. What'd they change that causes some PS2 games to be incompatible?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I actually have a first model PS2, so that doesn't really affect me, thankfully, and the ones that don't work on mine don't really bother me.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

d0s posted:

This hobby for most people isn't about scoring some rare treasure that's probably pretty poo poo to actually play and displaying it on a shelf like a trophy, it's just about enjoying old games and that shouldn't be a huge moneysink.

It isn't about having trophies for me either - I recently got flash carts and sold off a lot of my CIB stuff after confirming they worked. Panic Restaurant and Little Samson don't justify their price tags but I fell in love with Gimmick! and it's painful to play the non SUNSOFT-5B reproduction. The Everdrive-N8 doesn't seem to support it either. Looking into the Infinite NES Lives option, thanks fatpat268!

univbee posted:

IIRC start here and follow whatever links aren't dead.

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=7408.0
Thanks for this. The first screenshot has a Playchoice PPU visible, then I saw the 2012 date. NESRGB looks to be 2013, things change fast

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to say after about three minutes of play that Power Shovel is not the game I hoped it would be.

It's so much better. The absurd over the top nature that comes through the almost complete lack of localization on the part of Acclaim takes what's already a fun minigame collection and makes it even better.

I'm saddened that I don't have the controller, but I'm looking forward to having some friends over and breaking this game out. I'm dying to try out two player mode.

And speaking of expensive games, this was in my mail today:

No, Power Shovel wasn't the expensive one.

So back in the 80's I played Ultima 1-3 and Ultima 6, but I couldn't get a copy of 4 or 5 for some reason (they just weren't in stores). I read a review of U4 in an old Compute! magazine and desperately wanted to play it, but couldn't find a copy. Well for some reason a store near me had Ultima 4 for the Master System and I really wanted to play it. The thing is that Ultima 4 for the Master System wasn't released in US so I have no idea why this department store had copies of it, but they did.

Well a few years later I was able to get my hands on the two games I didn't play before I play them. They were rough to go back to after U6 and U7, but they're a vital part of gaming history. And yet I still wanted U4 for the Master System. I knew about the NES port but the Master System was the one I saw first and wanted. The prices could get pretty high for it, though.

Last week after getting a bunch of fun Master System I decided to check eBay for other Master System games. I sorted by time to end auctions and right there at the top was Ultima 4, ending in ten minutes. Complete in box and cheaper than I had seen a copy going for before that. I wavered, I dithered, and with a minute to go I bid and won it.

I'm planning on playing through the game for the first time in about twenty years using it. I hope the battery is still good...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 2, 2014

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So here's a PS2 question. I just got my hands on a memory card adapter to run it to usb, which it appears would mean I could make a Free McBoot card.

The only problem is, I can't find a lot on what all they're capable of, since all the information is trapped in mid-2000s forums from before we uncovered the technology to write properly on the goddamn internet.

So I turn to you guys. What can I do with a Free McBoot card and a slim PS2? Are imports an option? How about backups, can I do anything on the slim that'll be worth my time? And can I use it to do anything with PS1 games, or just PS2 proper?

Thanks!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Yalborap posted:

So I turn to you guys. What can I do with a Free McBoot card and a slim PS2? Are imports an option? How about backups, can I do anything on the slim that'll be worth my time? And can I use it to do anything with PS1 games, or just PS2 proper?

I believe that without an internal hard drive, a softmodded slim PS2 can boot backup copies of DVD PS2 games and PS1 games (but I believe you need an original PS1 disc to do a swap).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Maybe in general but that copy of Earthbound will always be expensive just like that copy of The Incredible Hulk 181 will always be expensive.

Oh yeah no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be as expensive as it is today in a few years when this frenzy dies down. CIB may be another story, especially since that game in particular has a cool package with an awesome guide. I was more talking about the stuff that isn't obviously "collector's items". A CIB Earthbound is always going to be someone's grail, it has everything going for it.

EDIT

URL grey tea posted:

It isn't about having trophies for me either

Yeah, I wasn't singling you out there, I don't think many here are going after that sort of thing, I was just saying that it's hard to compete with those guys and they're controlling the market right now, which is why lots of people are setting limits and saying many games are overpriced for the average retro enthusiast.

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 2, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

Oh yeah no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be as expensive as it is today in a few years when this frenzy dies down. CIB may be another story, especially since that game in particular has a cool package with an awesome guide. I was more talking about the stuff that isn't obviously "collector's items". A CIB Earthbound is always going to be someone's grail, it has everything going for it.

Just in general I don't see a reason to think prices will drop. Maybe plateau at best. This stuff is 20-30+ year old technology. It's breaking, it's getting lost, being destroyed. People are buying to keep so they can show off their sweet collection in the background of their youtube videos. I sure as hell ain't selling, they're going to bury me with my video games like Simon Greedwell. It's going to reach a point where practically everything of worth has disappeared completely and you're scrounging for anything that's not Madden whatever.

For the most part the disc based consoles will stay reasonable but all the cartridges? That stuff is going to rise and rise quote this post in a decade.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Just in general I don't see a reason to think prices will drop. Maybe plateau at best. This stuff is 20-30+ year old technology. It's breaking, it's getting lost, being destroyed. People are buying to keep so they can show off their sweet collection in the background of their youtube videos. I sure as hell ain't selling, they're going to bury me with my video games like Simon Greedwell. It's going to reach a point where practically everything of worth has disappeared completely and you're scrounging for anything that's not Madden whatever.

For the most part the disc based consoles will stay reasonable but all the cartridges? That stuff is going to rise and rise quote this post in a decade.

I've read these exact words before including the "check this again in ten years time". People said the exact same thing about baseball cards and then they collapsed. And then they said the exact same thing about other trading cards and then they collapsed. And then they said the exact same thing about comic books and then they collapsed. And then they said the exact same thing about action figures and... well.

Starting to see a trend here?

Collectables go through these absurd boom and bust cycles as people start buy things up like crazy, and then the prices just collapse when they try to get out again. You can't know where and when it'll happen, but it's coming just as night follows day. You can't know exactly where the bottom is; as someone pointed out, Earthbound will never cheap. However, you can't know where the top is, either.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

I've read these exact words before including the "check this again in ten years time". People said the exact same thing about baseball cards and then they collapsed. And then they said the exact same thing about other trading cards and then they collapsed. And then they said the exact same thing about comic books and then they collapsed. And then they said the exact same thing about action figures and... well.

Collectables go through these absurd boom and bust cycles as people start buy things up like crazy, and then the prices just collapse when they try to get out again. You can't know where and when it'll happen, but it's coming just as night follows day. You can't know exactly where the bottom is; as someone pointed out, Earthbound will never cheap. However, you can't know where the top is, either.

So what you're saying is that we need to print up some binders full of documents, make some Powerpoints, and head to the retirement community sprawl of Florida NOW, rather than later?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How much better is the minty green Twin Famicom than black AN-500B?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

All those markets haven't disappeared, though. I can't speak for baseball cards but Magic the Gathering is expensive as poo poo and the price of rares is climbing. Comic books had a fake surge in the 90s but they dropped off because people realized it was an artificial market. Nowadays more people are into comics but the print runs for some are still in the hundreds. Try buying anything with Moebius' name that doesn't fetch Earthbound dollars.

People are keeping their video games. If not they're getting lost or destroyed or turned into lovely art projects on etsy. As long as the video game market stays alive, the interest in video games' past will even if you can get them cheaper elsewhere. If you're honestly holding out then you will have gray hair by the time the "bubble bursts." With clone systems sitting on department store shelves the demand couldn't be higher.

To reiterate: video games are actually in limited physical supply unlike pogs, sports cards, and Marvel comics.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Here's a recording of Chubby "The Twist" Checker singing about Dig Dug: http://gamepreservation.tumblr.com/post/96474841529/chubby-checker-dig-dug

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

al-azad posted:

To reiterate: video games are actually in limited physical supply unlike pogs, sports cards, and Marvel comics.

Except all of those things you named are, in fact, in limited physical supply. 1940's and 50's comics are not being printed anymore because it's not the 1950's, 1960's baseball cards are not being printed because it's not the 1960's. And yeah there will be a handful of rare and valuable stuff that won't go down in price but they're the exception, not the rule.

And nobody is making POGs anymore. Think about how many people threw away their POGs, and how worthless POGs still are. The Last POG on Earth will still only be worth whatever the equivalent of 25 cents is in the future.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Anyone who lived through that absurd comic book bubble in the 90's knows exactly where this thing is going. Very few people currently buying old games are going to look at the collections they've filled their houses with in a few years and think "you know, I'm going to hang on to all this until I'm 80".

EDIT: Not specifically saying most of the people this thread are just going to give up on it, I'm mainly talking about the huge amount of people who are just now getting into it. I've been doing this for about 15 years, I know what it is to have an enormous unwieldy collection and move it around from house to house and maintain it and all that. It's a total pain in the rear end and it's just not for everyone. I've seen extremely dedicated people just get sick of it and give up one day. A room full of Nintendo games or whatever seems awesome until you have to live with it for a while and that really decides if you're in it for real or just trying something out.

There's no harm in trying a new hobby and I'm not trying to rag on people new to it, but not everyone going nuts for old games right now is gonna still be doing this in a few years, it's just how trends work.

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 3, 2014

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Has anyone ever thought of who inherits your stuff when you pass on? I will make my beneficiaries compete in a tournament winner take all double elim :asoiaf:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

I had to look up why that comic was important. I can nerd about some things, but comics are not my department.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

All those markets haven't disappeared, though. I can't speak for baseball cards but Magic the Gathering is expensive as poo poo and the price of rares is climbing.

Yes, it's called a boom/bust cycle. Check Magic card prices in 1994 and compare them to 1996. With the exception of a few specific ones, the prices which had been going up and up (and "would never go down; just check this post in ten year's time") imploded.

al-azad posted:

Comic books had a fake surge in the 90s but they dropped off because people realized it was an artificial market. Nowadays more people are into comics but the print runs for some are still in the hundreds. Try buying anything with Moebius' name that doesn't fetch Earthbound dollars.

So what? That stack of Youngblood #1 is still worth about the same price as toilet paper and that goes for the vast majority of comic books printed in the past 40 years. You can't cherry pick examples when we're talking about broad trends because demand for single items exists outside the broader scope.

al-azad posted:

All of those are actually limited by physical supply, especially when you're dealing with a collector's market.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

al-azad posted:

All those markets haven't disappeared, though. I can't speak for baseball cards but Magic the Gathering is expensive as poo poo and the price of rares is climbing. Comic books had a fake surge in the 90s but they dropped off because people realized it was an artificial market. Nowadays more people are into comics but the print runs for some are still in the hundreds. Try buying anything with Moebius' name that doesn't fetch Earthbound dollars.

People are keeping their video games. If not they're getting lost or destroyed or turned into lovely art projects on etsy. As long as the video game market stays alive, the interest in video games' past will even if you can get them cheaper elsewhere. If you're honestly holding out then you will have gray hair by the time the "bubble bursts." With clone systems sitting on department store shelves the demand couldn't be higher.

I think the thing is, what you mentioned is rare stuff with actual collector value. That's the 5% of any given market that's actually worth something. But just like the other booms, random poo poo that simply shouldn't be expensive is. MUSHA is always gonna be pricey cuz it's rare and it rules. The bubble has burst when I can buy a copy of Fireshark for $2 again. When the "It's good but I don't NEED it" market evens out, that's when you know things are normalized.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

URL grey tea posted:

Has anyone ever thought of who inherits your stuff when you pass on? I will make my beneficiaries compete in a tournament winner take all double elim :asoiaf:

I almost feel bad for my heirs. Assuming I died tomorrow, I'd leave behind collections worth a few hundred thousand (assuming they could sell them appropriately) but like all good collectors, the $1000 items are mixed in with the $2 ones.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

d0s posted:

Anyone who lived through that absurd comic book bubble in the 90's knows exactly where this thing is going. Very few people currently buying old games are going to look at the collections they've filled their houses with in a few years and think "you know, I'm going to hang on to all this until I'm 80".

Yeah, I can't see continually collecting games. I'll keep some of the games I just adore like ATTP and Super Metroid, but I'll get a flash card this month for SNES and later for Genesis and N64 so I can't see collecting many games. I'm in it for playing on the original system rather than collecting games.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Except all of those things you named are, in fact, in limited physical supply. 1940's and 50's comics are not being printed anymore because it's not the 1950's, 1960's baseball cards are not being printed because it's not the 1960's. And yeah there will be a handful of rare and valuable stuff that won't go down in price but they're the exception, not the rule.

Comics from the 40s and 50s that are actually in mint condition and feature characters people still care about have only gone up in value, actually. I suspect the same will happen with complete games. If there's a boom/bust I think it's with rare games without much lasting appeal...stuff like Panic Restaurant and Stadium Events will plateau, whereas I think a complete Super Mario Bros. will appreciate forever.

EDIT: Wait making predictions is fun. People collect what they know, and I see video games as becoming platform-agnostic in the next decade, so I think focus will shift away from collecting full sets of every game made for a console and more toward the franchises, authors, and companies that people actually care about.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 3, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheRedEye posted:

Comics from the 40s and 50s that are actually in mint condition and feature characters people still care about have only gone up in value, actually. I suspect the same will happen with complete games. If there's a boom/bust I think it's with rare games without much lasting appeal...stuff like Panic Restaurant and Stadium Events will plateau, whereas I think a complete Super Mario Bros. will appreciate forever.

Yeah, long term increases in prices on some items are definite. Even after the bubble pops, there will be rare stuff and collectors who stick it out (and gleefully buy up the bargains :v: ). To continue the Magic: The Gathering example, just because you couldn't sell Ice Age rares for $30 any more doesn't mean that people were spending $3 to get a Black Lotus. OTOH, the prices on the Black Lotus fell hard and then gradually came back up.

Comics were interesting since the market for the really high end stuff didn't extend that much (probably a result of the trading card "investors" seeing their next get-rich-quick opportunity). They spiked a bit and came back down, but the sales on the books whose prices started in the thousands weren't affected that much as a percentage.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

I think focus will shift away from collecting full sets of every game made for a console and more toward the franchises, authors, and companies that people actually care about.

This is pretty much what I do and what most of the people I know do, I've never understood the "gotta catch em all" thing. About your earlier CIB Mario point, I think sealed/CIB stuff will always be collector-bait and that's almost a totally different hobby than the people who are mostly into playing games, CIB prices could soar to the stratosphere for all I care as long as cart only or cart/manual prices drop, which is the bubble I'm talking about. The hardcore autism involved in sealed game collecting is not something that goes away over time, those people are in it for life.

• Locked thread