Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

so stone age gamer announced this today. I'm excited.

stone age gamer posted:

From the creator of the 3DO USB Adapter™ comes the Dreamcast USB Adapter™.

Features:
- USB 2.0 Host
- support USB Flash Stick, SATA/IDE HDD(tested only 3.5''), SD up to 2 TBytes
- support FAT32
- Game selection menu system
- 100% compatible
- CDDA supported
- Format: GDI & ISO
- Region free (You can launch any GDI images on your console)
- excellent design

We have been working with MNEMO (creator) over the last couple months trying to acquire a few hard-to-find parts for this project.

The good news we have accomplished this. So we hope later 2015 or very early 2015 we will begin to carry the Dreamcast USB Adapter. Unlike the GDEMU this adapter has a built-in menu system and can handle drives up to 2TB.

But SAG, I can't mod a system to save my life! Well we have good news for you. These mod is virtually plug and play. No soldering, de-soldering or wiring needed. You just unplug and remove your GD-ROM and connect the USB Adapter. Its a simple PCI-style connector. The only modification is a simple cut to the back of the shell.

What about the 3DO Adapter? We will still carry the 3DO Adapter as well. We haven't re-stocked this item because we have been working out the logistics of all of this with MNEMO.

We currently do not have any final pricing on this product, but obviously once we do we will post about it in FaceBook. A long with any news about pre-orders, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

dj_pain posted:

They couldn't just like....invert the USB port so it sits on the inside of the DC like the 3DO version? I hate cutting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

xamphear posted:

So, everyone take full notice, and let this be a warning to you. The U.S. Government will not stand for any PS2 modchips entering the country on their watch. Well, except for the re-ship; that package showed up right on time ages ago, and installed without a hitch.

You got hit by a random search. It happens.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

You got hit by a random search. It happens.

Oh yeah, I know. The part that was funny to me is that they're still on the lookout for modchips that old.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

xamphear posted:

Oh yeah, I know. The part that was funny to me is that they're still on the lookout for modchips that old.

Once things go on the contraband list it's pretty rare for them to come off again. The law doesn't care that the ban no longer serves a purpose, it's just there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

dj_pain posted:

Oh my god. Those GDIs turned out to be good for something.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Random Stranger posted:

That means that twenty years ago today I was phenomenally ill and yet somehow I dragged myself out of bed and went to the mall.

You guys can keep your Nintendo Player guides. I've got the entire How to Win and Nintendo Games series. Can you guys get help with Athena from your precious Nintendo Power? M.U.S.C.L.E.? Bayou Billy? Good luck without some real guides. :colbert:

I've got the first book in that series sitting on the bookshelf in my office. No one has seemed to notice it yet.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I can't wait for that. I have a few Dreamcasts with busted optical drives.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
This will significantly decrease load times right?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Babylon Astronaut posted:

This will significantly decrease load times right?

Yep. Fun thing is now that all of our isos are now useless.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There is no guide that can prepare one for the horrors of Bayou Billy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for that Dreamcast thing.

Get the Sega CD and Saturn to run ISOs off a hard drive and I can pretty much dismiss optical media forever.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

RadicalR posted:

Yep. Fun thing is now that all of our isos are now useless.

I'm not entirely sure that I understand this sentence, but in the description quoted by dj_pain, the Dreamcast usb loader accepts both gdi and iso.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ptarmigans posted:

I'm not entirely sure that I understand this sentence, but in the description quoted by dj_pain, the Dreamcast usb loader accepts both gdi and iso.

No man you have to go get the entire GDI set. Quick, to Underground Ga- oh.:(

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Well, not counting Enduro Racer which I got at the mall last Saturday, I had all this SMS heat show up for the collection:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd....7a5f596adec07c1

I haven't had time to properly inspect them or qtip clean the contacts yet but this is a lot of SMS heat for less than 10 bucks shipped a cart complete. (I think Columns might have been a whopping 11.50 OH gently caress MY WALLET. I think I have Cyborg Hunter on the way here too. I forget.)

This should bring me to 41 SMS games, 38 US titles/releases.

I need about 20 more games to have hit the halfway point. Then I am hitting the DEEP CUTS really. Or pointlessly infamous poo poo like the GREAT SPORTS series.

Might as well have a quick TOP 10 that I want first in no real order:

1: Psycho Fox: Apparently its kind of Decap Attack 0 but with a Japanese spirit animal shtick. I don't much like DA and avoided this in the day due to a bad review in VG&CE but it seems to be highly regarded nowadays.

2: Alex Kidd in Miracle World: I loved the Genesis game so why not play the original?

3: Alex Kidd in Shinobi World: Its SD SHINOBI basically. SMS Shinobi is extremely my jam even if Mandala is abusively unfair in that port.

4: Donald Duck in the Lucky Dime Caper: Donald Duck is best classic Disney character next to Unca Scrooge. Castle of Illusion on the SMS is one of the best mascot platformers PERIOD. Course I want it!

5: Transbot: I wanted this one as a kid. OMG YOU PLAY A TRANSFORMING ROBOT.

6: RC Grand Prix: Maybe it is the SMS answer to RC Pro Am without Rare's usual UK styled LETS MAKE IT TOO HARD TO BE FUN nonsense in the later stages?

7: Wonder Boy 3: Well its an amazing game and the Turbografx version price is full absurdity as is that entire drat system at this point outside of JRPGs nobody can read anyhow.

8: Aerial Assault: Side scrolling SHMUP. I likes a good SHMUP.

9: Bomber Raid: Top down SHMUP with a NOT SR 71 on the cover. In spite of the actual game having a prop plane.

10: Astro Warrior: A plain and simple top down SHMUP when you want to get your Xevious type game on.

And for laughs the 10 games I dread wasting money on also in no real order:

1: Great Baseball: Great series is infamous for sucking. (Repeat for next pile of games.) I generally hate Baseball outside of Baseball Stars and Super Baseball 2020.

2: Great Basketball: Great series. I hate Basketball even more than Baseball. Except for NBA Jam.

3: Great Football: Great series. Plus I already have Madden 91, 02, NFL 2K5, NFL Blitz 2000. I pretty much have all the Handegg any one needs.

4: Great Golf: Great series. I loves me some video golf but this Great series supposedly is nothing but arse on a cart. And with Links 2002 on the PC I have the best video golf.

5: Great Ice Hockey: Great series. Plus I just got NHL 95 on the Genesis for 2 bucks and can get 97 for the same price. All one needs.

6: Great Soccer: Great series. I have a 2002 FIFA game on the Gamecube, the Wii Mario Strikers, and for retro soccer Sensible World of Soccer in this PC fan mod port so you can have online leagues n stuff.

7: Great Volleyball: Great series. Plus I have Beach Spikers on the Gamecube which is best Volleyball video game ever. Plus you can have Phantasy Star 2's Nei and Space Channel 5's Ulala in bikinis playing vball and being vaguely lesbian but not fanservicey levels of such. And no boobie physics like DOA Volleyball. Which makes me glad it never got a sequel given how Full Creeper Japan's nerd stuff output seems to be going. :(

8: Sports Pad Football: Hey its another sucky sports game! And one that requires a controller that apparently sucks! Maybe the controller will be better through a USB dongle and I can have a nice trackball for MAME and stuff? (No probably.)

9: Golden Axe: Turning a common but totally awesome game on the Genesis port into an inferior SMS version is not good mojo. Sure its a technical achievement but my wallet disagrees. Also you can only play as Axe Battler and thus no Tyris Flare and her derriere. Or a drunk dwarf. SHAMEFUL.

10: Alex Kidd in High Tech World: Hey let's take a bad Japanese riff on Sierra Adventure games and turn it to Alex Kidd instead of a Princess! All the cheap deaths of a Sierra game except through a Japanese lens! WEEE I AM SO EXCITED TO SPEND MONEY ON THIS ONE! (At least most of the Great series are sub 5 dollar titles. Most Alex Kidd games are 20 bucks plus. Missing out on a big rear end latte and giving a tip is one thing for the collection. Dropping a Jackson plus aint so hot.)

And speaking of things to try nerds' souls: http://pceworks.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/best-of-japan/

I saw this linked from that Canadian Happy Videogames dude on Youtube. On one hand it IS cool to get actual CDs of expensive and LOOONG OOP PCE CDROM games.

On the other it probably isn't licensed and is thus bootlegs. CDROMs which are kinda cheap to press even if the packaging is not so much.

Games that aren't exactly great, just rare. (And only two of them I would be interested in and neither for their prices repro or not.)

And the price? 119 Euros. I would find this outrageous at 119 USD! Maybe half that I would be ok with but otherwise? Goddamn!

And as far as I can tell there is no translation patches or anything like that.

Now if they wanted to make a 75 dollars shipped Cosmic Fantasy collection with translation patches, manuals, and maybe a more modern xp/encounter rate curve? (Basically nearly every JRPG ever made would do well to have the encounter rate cut by 2/3rds, the monster HP increased by 50%, and the XP/Money doubled. Yes this would turn most 40 hour games into 15-20 ones. I see no downside to this.)

I dunno. It just seems like bad mojo to me. Anyone else got thoughts? Especially since there are actual legit fan made PCE CDROM games only going for 30 bucks with manual and poo poo, like Insanity.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 21, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd....7a5f596adec07c1

I haven't had time to properly inspect them or qtip clean the contacts yet but this is a lot of SMS heat for less than 10 bucks shipped a cart complete. (I think Columns might have been a whopping 11.50 OH gently caress MY WALLET. I think I have Cyborg Hunter on the way here too. I forget.)

I kind of like Action Fighter. I'd never call it a great game and I probably wouldn't tell anyone that they need to go out and get it, but I still kind of like it. It's kind of Spy Hunter with a bit more shooter elements.

I've got Alex Kidd in High Tech World and it is a real stinker. It really is the worst aspects of about six different games shoved into a blender.

Have you :retrogames:ed yet and ordered Golden Axe Warrior? I enjoyed playing it off the Sonic Ultimate collection (though I'd play Gollvelius by preference) but there's no way in hell I'd pay the absurd prices on that one. And I still need to pick up Montezuma's Revenge, though on that one I'm trying to hold out for a bargain.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

I kind of like Action Fighter. I'd never call it a great game and I probably wouldn't tell anyone that they need to go out and get it, but I still kind of like it. It's kind of Spy Hunter with a bit more shooter elements.

I've got Alex Kidd in High Tech World and it is a real stinker. It really is the worst aspects of about six different games shoved into a blender.

Have you :retrogames:ed yet and ordered Golden Axe Warrior? I enjoyed playing it off the Sonic Ultimate collection (though I'd play Gollvelius by preference) but there's no way in hell I'd pay the absurd prices on that one. And I still need to pick up Montezuma's Revenge, though on that one I'm trying to hold out for a bargain.

I got Golden Axe Warrior back in 92 when I was in the Navy. I mean I had a shiny new Game Gear, and one of those Convertor thingies before the official one came out meant I could play a Zelda game in the Navy Barracks without needing a TV set or anything.

http://masterratings.blogspot.com/2014/10/welcome-to-my-dumb-project-part-1-sega.html See I already have a lot of the GOOD poo poo. Outside of Monster World 3 and the good Alex Kidd games I am mostly in the mediocre games, hard to find rarities that are also mediocre, and sports game shitfest range.

And the 3D glasses bit where I need to get said expensive doohickey. Or a newer good pair of glasses and connecting card. And whichever gun games I don't have.

(And of course Master System ports of Genesis games that are almost universally inferior to the Genesis ports. Outside of maaayybe GnG having an Armor/HP system. And Sonic being more fun than the Genesis one if my memories of the GGear port are intact.)

Oh yeah. Montezuma's Revenge is tight on the SMS. Has more levels and arguably better graphics and tighter game controls. It isn't the Amped to 11 port Ghostbusters or Choplifter is but.. it might be the definitive version outside of spiritual remake Midnight Manor.

VVVVV Road Rash is a European release thus I don't have to get it. And I got Road Rash 2 dirt cheap for the Genesis a couple weeks back. Kind of want the PS1 RR but no hurry or nothing. For Genesis games honestly I mostly want Amiga ports and the Rolling Thunder sequels because I loves me some NOT SHINOBIs.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 21, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

And Sonic being more fun than the Genesis one if my memories of the GGear port are intact.)

:stonk:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Master System Road Rash is pretty impressive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heran Bago posted:

Quick, to Underground Ga- oh.:(

Well, that made me sad.

Captain Rufus posted:

And Sonic being more fun than the Genesis one if my memories of the GGear port are intact.

This too, but for a different reason.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My brother is starting to collect Gamecube games. Anyone have any ideas of cheap hidden gems I can get him?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I liked XIII and Geist.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That adapter will be $200 through SAG

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

triplexpac posted:

My brother is starting to collect Gamecube games. Anyone have any ideas of cheap hidden gems I can get him?

Battalion Wars

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

You might as well just buy ten back up Dreamcasts at that price.

Edit:

I found Stan's Japanese cousin!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 21, 2014

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

flyboi posted:

Too rich for my blood. I should also mention I don't have a dreamcast so,

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also, a quiet Dreamcast (because it has no angle grinderoptical drive) isn't a true Dreamcast. :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I propose a compromise: accept a noiseless console but mod your VMU so it beeps even louder.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

Also, a quiet Dreamcast (because it has no angle grinderoptical drive) isn't a true Dreamcast. :colbert:

How am I gonna tell when a Skies of Arcadia battle is gonna trigger if I don't hear a circular saw starting up?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Or when it's time to shoot monsters in D2?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

triplexpac posted:

• Lost Kingdoms 1&2 (2 is far superior, but there's some massive bonuses for transferring a savegame)
  • Second Sight
  • GUN
  • Robotech Battlecry.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

univbee posted:

Well, you'll be glad to know the disc drive isn't the only loud thing in a Dreamcast. The cooling fan spins like nobody's business.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Been playing some early ps1 games. Specifically MediEvil and Pandemonium.

They don't hold up all that well. Controls are super wonky.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Found a video from MNEMO demonstrating it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0lEgptvdI

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Oh man, that DC loader will be nice. DC's in my area have been going up, they used to be like 10-20 and now they are usually 40+. Call me old fashioned but I like owning the same system year after year and not just burning through them when the drive eventually fails. My current DC has the controller board problem, but I just need to get off my rear end and order the cheap part to fix it.

It's also going to fix a lot of DC based emulation issues. There have been a lot of NAOMI games that are theoretically portable to DC but hampered by the size restrictions of the format. And also I know a lot of emulators made for DC work in theory at full speed on DC Emulators but not on console due to the disc drive load times.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 21, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Do you actually need to replace anything to fix the controller board thing on a DC? I've managed to fix it on two consoles just by pulling out, cleaning the contacts, and reseating the board.

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
I've never had a Dreamcast, so this is great news. I'll probably get the black one eventually :3:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Ptarmigans posted:

Most people have the .cdi mil-cd conversions because that's whats burnable, and as of the last time I read, the usb device doesn't support that format yet... Which also means it doesn't support the mil-cd-only releases, which iirc is anything post-2006.

As for the price of the thing, sure I could buy ~10 dreamcasts for the price... But I'd rather not worry about all 10 of their drives dying on me.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

elf help book posted:

Master System Road Rash is pretty impressive.

I had it on the Game Gear as a child and it's honestly still my favorite racing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
PRGE. I bought less than usual mainly because my collection has hit the point where I'm only looking for a few things. Luckily I found some of them at the show this year! It was also great to meet a few more goons that post in this thread.

I neglected to take a picture of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I've been after that one for awhile now and I snagged it for 10 bucks.

I've heard that Home Alone is surprisingly decent on Genesis and I finally found a boxed copy for under 5 dollars. Looking forward to trying it out.

I also needed something to play it on. I suppose a Laseractive will do in a pinch. This completes my US Genesis console variant collection and I've been after one for about a decade. I've seen a few of them but I've never been willing to pay the price that these typically go for. Fortunately the seller was feeling very generous and the console has a small crack in the side so he sold it to me for a price that I was more than happy to pay.

All in all it was an awesome weekend and I'll look forward to doing it again in another year.

• Locked thread