Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sizone posted:

Do you actually need to replace anything to fix the controller board thing on a DC? I've managed to fix it on two consoles just by pulling out, cleaning the contacts, and reseating the board.

There is resistor or something on them that dies and you have to replace it if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Home Alone for Genesis really is great. The SNES ones are garbo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is the Astro Warrior/Pit Pot SMS cart still cheap? I like Pit Pot.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thanks for the Gamecube suggestions, gives me a good place to start!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There is resistor or something on them that dies and you have to replace it if that happens.

I believe most people just bridge the connection and it works just fine.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

dj_pain posted:

Found a video from MNEMO demonstrating it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0lEgptvdI

Disappointing that load times are not any better than this, but I suppose that the GDrom interface just isn't any faster than that because it never needed to be.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Thanks for the Gamecube suggestions, gives me a good place to start!

Don't forget Killer7!

Also viletim has an N64RGB!

Twitter posted:

RetroRGB: The NESRGB creator (Tim) released an RGB kit for all N64's that don't have the VDC-NUC chip:

http://t.co/w7QXkQu28P

http://t.co/axDi1aCknH

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Disappointing that load times are not any better than this, but I suppose that the GDrom interface just isn't any faster than that because it never needed to be.

Bear in mind that a lot of optical-based consoles, especially the really early ones, expect a very specific data rate and fall apart if you push it beyond that. It's why even if you get a PS1 digital game on a PS3, PSP or Vita it can still have considerable load time.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

univbee posted:

Also, a quiet Dreamcast (because it has no angle grinderoptical drive) isn't a true Dreamcast. :colbert:

we'll still have the agonizing screams of a VMU!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In my mind, the PS1 also has a distinct CD loading sound. What other consoles have "memorable" drive noises, if any?

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Here's a stupid question:

I have a Japanese Sega Saturn. For playing Japanese games. Will the Action Replay 4M Plus allow me to play games for the North American region on it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

In my mind, the PS1 also has a distinct CD loading sound. What other consoles have "memorable" drive noises, if any?

I loved playing Xenogears because every battle would be preceded with the disc drive doing a little jig. It let me time jumps in the more annoying dungeons.

And I don't know if you call the Dreamcast sounding like it's loving dying "distinctive" but I nominate the Dreamcast sounding like it's loving dying.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Console Role Player posted:

Here's a stupid question:

I have a Japanese Sega Saturn. For playing Japanese games. Will the Action Replay 4M Plus allow me to play games for the North American region on it?

I think so.

univbee posted:

Famicom Disk System.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Gamecube's laser gives off a high pitched squeal as soon as you turn it on.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

JJJJJS posted:

I've heard that Home Alone is surprisingly decent on Genesis and I finally found a boxed copy for under 5 dollars. Looking forward to trying it out.

I had Home Alone for the Game Gear when I was a kid. I wouldn't say it was a great game, but I've really got to give it some credit for not just being a lovely platformer with a movie license slapped on it. It actually takes the premise of the movie and builds a pretty unique game around it.

It was nice running into at PRGE this year. Me and my fiancee have just started playing the repro of Nintendo Detective Club we bought from you. My haul was pretty light this year aside from that. Just a Japanese copy of Mario Tennis 64, Animal Crossing for the 3DS and a super cute KK Slider plush.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was looking around for some information and I found a Japanese wiki article listing well known kusoge (basically bad games as a genre). I had to share this since there's something magical about the machine translation of descriptions of terrible games:

The bold in these lines is theirs, not mine.

Onyanko Town posted:

Do you endure unpleasant loop BGM endless.

Super Pitfall posted:

degradation Mario that was equipped with a screen bug machine gun prostrate and transcendence degree of difficulty

Ghostbusters posted:

It guarantee that you will want to Buster this game.

Sherlock Holmes posted:

Road massacre action of Sherlock Holmes VS all British citizens

Rerikusu Ankokuyosai posted:

Come on, it starts loading hell ... Please wait.

Akira posted:

Instant death if not watching a movie.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

I was looking around for some information and I found a Japanese wiki article listing well known kusoge (basically bad games as a genre). I had to share this since there's something magical about the machine translation of descriptions of terrible games:

The bold in these lines is theirs, not mine.

"Metal Gear: loving transplant Kojima certified -. The Colonel'll not be able to stealth to a stealth game"

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The idea of Namco Star Wars being considered kusoge is still baffling to me, given that it's basically become the template most indie developers use to make a "retro" platform game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyma posted:

The idea of Namco Star Wars being considered kusoge is still baffling to me, given that it's basically become the template most indie developers use to make a "retro" platform game.

I think it's a combination of really loose use of the license and extreme difficulty.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Is anyone planning to set up another Retro Gaming Secret Santa for this year? Now would be the time.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Grapeshot posted:

Is anyone planning to set up another Retro Gaming Secret Santa for this year? Now would be the time.

I know I always say this, but I really am way too loving busy right now. I will contribute though.

Good luck to the person matching up all the non-international traders!

midge fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 21, 2014

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

1: Great Baseball: Great series is infamous for sucking. (Repeat for next pile of games.) I generally hate Baseball outside of Baseball Stars and Super Baseball 2020.

2: Great Basketball: Great series. I hate Basketball even more than Baseball. Except for NBA Jam.

Yeah, both of these are unplayable garbage. I rarely ever played the Great Baseball since the controls were so awful, and I had Reggie Jackson Baseball which was actually decent.

quote:

3: Great Football: Great series. Plus I already have Madden 91, 02, NFL 2K5, NFL Blitz 2000. I pretty much have all the Handegg any one needs.

Never played this, I had the Walter Payton version (it wasn't very good, never could figure out how to complete a forward pass). Apparently Joe Montana Football was good, but I never played it.

quote:

4: Great Golf: Great series. I loves me some video golf but this Great series supposedly is nothing but arse on a cart. And with Links 2002 on the PC I have the best video golf.

Great Golf isn't all that bad, but it's really slow. It looks and plays like actual golf and the controls aren't garbage like most Great games, but it's not really exciting to play.

quote:

9: Golden Axe: Turning a common but totally awesome game on the Genesis port into an inferior SMS version is not good mojo. Sure its a technical achievement but my wallet disagrees. Also you can only play as Axe Battler and thus no Tyris Flare and her derriere. Or a drunk dwarf. SHAMEFUL.

All true, but the big killer here is no two-player co-op. Also doesn't have The Duel, and the framerate is of course awful as you would expect with a SMS backport. Despite all that, it's still Golden Axe, still basically looks the same and plays the same. So it's a decent experience, but vastly inferior to the Genesis version which is not tough to come by.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm finding out about so many amazing games from that wiki I located earlier. Check out Twin Goddesses, the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of fighting games:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 21, 2014

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm finding out about so many amazing games from that wiki I located earlier. Check out Twin Goddesses, the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of fighting games:

You can't post that teaser of a gif without some video! Holy crap I laughed so hard when I found this :)

http://youtu.be/7dwfMkCg36U

edit: Spinning dude is from Fighter Maker on PSX.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

You can't post that teaser of a gif without some video! Holy crap I laughed so hard when I found this :)

http://youtu.be/7dwfMkCg36U

edit: Spinning dude is from Fighter Maker on PSX.

Yeah, I was looking for videos in Japanese to see if I could find anything impressive done with it. This is the video I took it from (which I think is the original since I found another video from the same guy featuring one of these characters, only it seems like him and his buddy are trying to make a sex film using the game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeId_nq-pHs

Also, why did no one tell me that the Rollercoaster game in the Simple Series for the PS2 keeps track of customer injuries?! You can open your coaster and then try to give people as many concussions as possible! I must play this game, and not just because it involves trains in some way.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I was looking for videos in Japanese to see if I could find anything impressive done with it. This is the video I took it from (which I think is the original since I found another video from the same guy featuring one of these characters, only it seems like him and his buddy are trying to make a sex film using the game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeId_nq-pHs

I believe that is the original. I just went through an :effort: Youtube search and shared the one that had that animation I remembered. Also, I'm almost 100% positive that anyone who bought this game tried to make some perverted moves just to entertain themselves :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A friend of mine posted this today: a translation of a May 1986 article from BEEP! with statements from Nintendo and a bunch of third-party publishers on the "Famicom Boom" and the backlash against the then-new emergence of third-party shovelware:

http://shmuplations.com/famicomboom/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A friend of mine posted this today: a translation of a May 1986 article from BEEP! with statements from Nintendo and a bunch of third-party publishers on the "Famicom Boom" and the backlash against the then-new emergence of third-party shovelware:

http://shmuplations.com/famicomboom/

Namco forever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
From all this talk of running ISOs on a Dreamcast with this new expensive thing, isn't there already a way to do that? I thought you could just download an OS and burn it to a CD then run games off a dongle with an SD card reader. It was also a lot cheaper than $200 and the ISO for the OS was free.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't the SD reader notoriously crappy?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

King Vidiot posted:

From all this talk of running ISOs on a Dreamcast with this new expensive thing, isn't there already a way to do that? I thought you could just download an OS and burn it to a CD then run games off a dongle with an SD card reader. It was also a lot cheaper than $200 and the ISO for the OS was free.

The SD reader has compatibility problems and the games that do work load slowly.

Also isn't this $200 pricepoint thing just speculation?

In similar news, the GDEMU creator has posted some progress of a CD-ROM emulator for the Saturn: http://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

You can burn ISOs to CD-Rs. Some games are too big for this and there are pirated versions that have reduced audio quality, reduced FMV quality, cut voice acting, or even some combination of these. Some games require a boot disc or Gameshark disc to boot, which can also be burned to a CD-R.

The SD reader thing is bad. Pretend it doesn't exist.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Is there a recommended replacement Saturn controller that would be an improvement over OEM? Because pretty much the only reason that I've never really used my chipped Saturn is due to the fact that the stock controller is about the most brittle, non-responsive, third party feeling controller from a first party ever, and I just can't get past that. I even remember breaking one on a Toys R Us demo machine right after that hideously stupid secret launch.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Jadius posted:

Is there a recommended replacement Saturn controller that would be an improvement over OEM? Because pretty much the only reason that I've never really used my chipped Saturn is due to the fact that the stock controller is about the most brittle, non-responsive, third party feeling controller from a first party ever, and I just can't get past that. I even remember breaking one on a Toys R Us demo machine right after that hideously stupid secret launch.

You're not using the original US controller, are you? Because the revised, Japanese-style Saturn pad that they switched to later is one of the greatest controllers ever made.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Mobius posted:

You're not using the original US controller, are you? Because the revised, Japanese-style Saturn pad that they switched to later is one of the greatest controllers ever made.

For real I can't imagine using the 1st gen controller for anything but the JP one is godly

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I somehow didn't even know that they made a revised version, despite owning both a model 1 and model 2 Saturn at one point (I bought them used and they both came with the lovely first gen controller). Feel pretty stupid right about now. Thanks, fellas.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jadius posted:

I somehow didn't even know that they made a revised version, despite owning both a model 1 and model 2 Saturn at one point (I bought them used and they both came with the lovely first gen controller). Feel pretty stupid right about now. Thanks, fellas.

Holy smokes! Yeah, you want to nab a controller that looks like this:

...not this:

If you've been using that second one this whole time I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
I still don't understand why they felt the need to change it for the US in the first place. I guess I'll just chalk it up to "90s Sega."

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How insane of an installation is the Dreamcast USB port going to be? I've always wanted a Dreamcast but didn't want to have to stockpile them when their drives eventually exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

KKKLIP ART posted:

How insane of an installation is the Dreamcast USB port going to be? I've always wanted a Dreamcast but didn't want to have to stockpile them when their drives eventually exploded

It's literally (1) Unplug the DG-ROM's ribbon cable and remove it from the system, (2) cut hole for the USB port on the back of the system, and (3) plug the USB board's cable into the spot the GD-ROM used to plug in to.

• Locked thread