Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Might I make a suggestion about a gift exchange?

Could we do it in February or March? Christmas is amping up and I'm kind of hit in the side of the face with a ton of stuff, and I'm sure everyone else is too. Maybe saving it for later would give us some more time and funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ninja Spirit is a good game.

Are there any shoot em ups on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx that aren't balls hard or almost impossible pattern memorization(I just don't have time for that like I did 2 decades ago). Or beat em ups worth playing?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Galaga '88! It's a lot of fun, and no memorisation required.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Are there any shoot em ups on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx that aren't balls hard or almost impossible pattern memorization

e: Seriously this game is known to have one of the most mild and reasonable difficulty curves in the genre while also still being incredibly entertaining, if this game seems unreasonably hard to you shooters in general are not your genre (and that's OK)

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 23, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Darius 2 is the only shump I've ever beaten without cheating or lowering the difficulty

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

The VHS "look" definitely has its place, it's used a lot when people intentionally want that vintage look like the Tim and Eric show (and they floored fans who asked how they made it look like it was recorded from a VHS when they answered "we...use a VHS."), Far Cry: Blood Dragon had a bunch of jokes about it (loading screens are "tracking" instead of "loading", the Ubisoft logo at the beginning has VHS damage effects over it).

I remember a company put out a series of drive-thru movie classics (shlocky horror stuff, mainly) and they would have a 5.1 audio track replicating the drive-through experience; the movie sound would only come from the front left speaker (because for you young'uns the speaker was like a CB radio on a pole that you clipped to your front driver's side window in the pre-radio transmission days), there'd be ambient sound from the other speakers like people getting out of their own cars between the two features, honking their horns if they were getting impatient for the movie to start, and a fly flying around because clipping the speaker makes it impossible to fully roll up your window.

Also in defense of the "old grainy look," I love collecting animation on older formats. Whenever Disney releases an old cartoon on a new format they gently caress with the colors and completely change the look. Very often the VHS/LaserDisc version of animated movies just look better, especially with anime where I adore that 80s/90s cel paint style.

My Stadium Events of LDs is Cats Don't Dance which was only released in widescreen on a limited sale laserdisc.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bean posted:

Might I make a suggestion about a gift exchange?

Could we do it in February or March? Christmas is amping up and I'm kind of hit in the side of the face with a ton of stuff, and I'm sure everyone else is too. Maybe saving it for later would give us some more time and funds.

I'm kind of busy and would be totally okay with this too. I'd manage either way though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Also in defense of the "old grainy look," I love collecting animation on older formats. Whenever Disney releases an old cartoon on a new format they gently caress with the colors and completely change the look.

This isn't even close to the worst examples out there. Don't look up what they did with the Blu-ray of The Sword and the Stone. :barf:

It and a handful of other movies are in a weird category where due to that sort of the fuckery the Blu-ray isn't the accepted "best" version of the movie, and the best is either an iTunes purchase (Sword and The Stone) or a :files: TV rip (The Matrix 1 is one of these).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

Also in defense of the "old grainy look," I love collecting animation on older formats. Whenever Disney releases an old cartoon on a new format they gently caress with the colors and completely change the look. Very often the VHS/LaserDisc version of animated movies just look better, especially with anime where I adore that 80s/90s cel paint style.

My Stadium Events of LDs is Cats Don't Dance which was only released in widescreen on a limited sale laserdisc.

Why doesn't that image compare the DVD version?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

univbee posted:

This isn't even close to the worst examples out there. Don't look up what they did with the Blu-ray of The Sword and the Stone. :barf:

It and a handful of other movies are in a weird category where due to that sort of the fuckery the Blu-ray isn't the accepted "best" version of the movie, and the best is either an iTunes purchase (Sword and The Stone) or a :files: TV rip (The Matrix 1 is one of these).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6LynBm90M

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yippee kai-yay, Mr. Falcon.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

d0s posted:

e: Seriously this game is known to have one of the most mild and reasonable difficulty curves in the genre while also still being incredibly entertaining, if this game seems unreasonably hard to you shooters in general are not your genre (and that's OK)

I've heard good things, but this won't load on my Everdrive. I'm 99% sure my micro sd card is bad, I bought 3 4 gigs from China off ebay and the other 2 would drop files and wouldn't format. I just need to grab one for cheap somewhere and pitch this one.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

univbee posted:

a :files: TV rip (The Matrix 1 is one of these).

This is a joke, right? How can they gently caress up something like this?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RodShaft posted:

I've heard good things, but this won't load on my Everdrive. I'm 99% sure my micro sd card is bad, I bought 3 4 gigs from China off ebay and the other 2 would drop files and wouldn't format. I just need to grab one for cheap somewhere and pitch this one.

Try the JP ROM it's called Gunhed and it's exactly the same game

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RadicalR posted:

This is a joke, right? How can they gently caress up something like this?

It is not a joke. They re-did the coloring in the first movie to match the look of its sequels but due to time/budget/effort constraints they kind of cocked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtktg9hbC_g

A 1080i version of the movie aired on Russian TV from before they did the coloring job and it floats around in :filez: form.

iTunes version of Guardians of the Galaxy

http://i.imgur.com/6YoWCk1.jpg

Blu-ray

http://i.imgur.com/PsDwWOj.jpg

EDIT Whoops, the GotG pics were a fake thing I didn't realize.

also

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 24, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nativity In Black posted:

My buddy is a big movie nerd and it's not uncommon for us to hit up a flea market and for him to walk out 5-6 movies for a buck apiece that will sell for more online.

This is why I still love and casually "collect" VHS. People will offload VHS tapes and have absolutely no clue of their value because they think "dead technology, must be worthless". I once snagged two complete (outer box and inner clamshell) copies of the Thriller Video Elvira tapes, which regularly go for $20-40 on eBay and are fairly uncommon. I got both of them plus three other movies (C.H.U.D., License to Drive and Predator) for a buck.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's a guy on another forum I visit that talks about VHS the same way people talk about the superior sound of Vinyl. He goes on and on about how it's better because it's an analog format. An example of one such recent post:

So yeah, there are people who think that way, but I doubt you'll find many. This guy is an outlier and after reading his insane posts for the past 11 years, it's obvious there's something wrong with him mentally.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I buy lots of B movies on VHS. Something about how rough the format is lends itself to bad Kung Fu and Horror films. Also 90's anime is super nostalgic when watched on tape for obvious reasons. It's far from a superior format, but especially for a lot of B flicks the DVD releases aren't any better. Or in the case of some movies never happen at all. When you take the time to convert to DVD from film you get really good results, but a lot of conversions for B movies are done with whatever is floating around. This can mean that your random DVD Kung-Fu Movie 10 pack is just a transfer from an actual VHS, or from film, or from film that wasn't original but was some other format they converted it to for reasons but just happens to be what the publisher had in a warehouse. And many times poorly done digital conversion can actually look a lot worse than analog conversion, just because no one is going to sit there and go through some lovely western frame by frame looking for quality. I've legitimately seen bad DVD conversions where clumps of pixels were visible on screen, which to me is waaaay worse than some scratchy tape fuzzyness.

Also they're cheap. Like ten for a dollar cheap, and I'm willing to take a plunge on a random bad straight to VHS flick if its ten cents. To make this video game related, I own VHS copies of almost every animated movie based on a 90's fighting game. The Tekken one has a shitload of late 90's Tony Hawk/Crazy Taxi style pop punk in it which is pretty lolworthy.

Edit: Also I have a lot of pro-wrestling VHS. They aren't worth as much as they used to be and most stuff is still out there but a lot of them go for a bit of change since the WWE is a heavily revisionist company that edits the gently caress out of things before they rerelease them these days to make sure they fit their current image. And there is a smattering of stuff from the Colosseum Home Video releases of wrestling stuff that isn't in anything else (usually due to WWE not wanting to pay rights for music or people) like random dark matches they recorded to make people buy the tapes. And obviously anything with Chris "NAME REDACTED" Benoit goes for a shitload because the current WWE copies of many things just scrub him out completely for obvious reasons.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 24, 2014

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

wa27 posted:

There's a guy on another forum I visit that talks about VHS the same way people talk about the superior sound of Vinyl. He goes on and on about how it's better because it's an analog format. An example of one such recent post:

So yeah, there are people who think that way, but I doubt you'll find many. This guy is an outlier and after reading his insane posts for the past 11 years, it's obvious there's something wrong with him mentally.

What a complete lunatic :eyepop:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

wa27 posted:

Aww, he's so enthusiastic about it! I can't say anything bad about this. :)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

wtf it looks like they're running Super Eagle or something on those birds.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The blu-ray looks nothing like that. For some reason if you take a screenshot it looks terrible but on my TV it looks exactly as it should.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Chief posted:

The blu-ray looks nothing like that. For some reason if you take a screenshot it looks terrible but on my TV it looks exactly as it should.

It's a joke image referring to over-correction towards hard-black shadows in lovely disc transfers.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's a joke image referring to over-correction towards hard-black shadows in lovely disc transfers.

No it's not. I took a screenshot and it looked like that for some reason.

EDIT: It looks like it's the colour profile. On desktop it looks terrible but in browser it looks fine.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 24, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

There is nothing good about VHS

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

wa27 posted:

I sorta get the tube amp folks because those do distort sound differently than solid state amps and, hey, some folks like that sound better. That's cool. Same for the folks who like VHS artifacts. I don't agree with them, but I get where they're coming from. I'll never understand the "ANALOG IS ALWAYS SUPERIOR" people, though, especially for things like magnetic tapes where they're degrading as they age. Yes, in theory you can have infinite precision with your analog poo poo. That doesn't happen in reality, though, because of manufacturing defects, slight damage to the media, wear just due to playing it back, etc., and you also lose out on error correction. I just don't get it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

It was the first mass market way to watch movies at home. It opened up a lot of avenues for low budget film production. And for video games, it helped firmly establish the precedent that you can rent them.

See, there's good things about.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

it's used a lot when people intentionally want that vintage look like the Tim and Eric show (and they floored fans who asked how they made it look like it was recorded from a VHS when they answered "we...use a VHS.")
On this note, the director of Key & Peele did a write-up recently on the various ways they replicated that look for a few skits. It's worth a read!

To get back on topic, Bizhawk recently added Atari Lynx support, which means I played around with Lynx stuff again, which means I made some Lynx GIFs.

I made this one a few months ago, but I'm posting it anyways: Gauntlet 3 is a very weird game with a lot of playable characters.

Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop is utterly abysmal, but at least it's intro looks pretty nice for a handheld system.

...and there's a cancelled prototype for a port of the Jaguar's Alien vs. Predator game that uses a means of animating walking forwards and backwards that kind of makes me nauseous.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Chief posted:

No it's not. I took a screenshot and it looked like that for some reason.

EDIT: It looks like it's the colour profile. On desktop it looks terrible but in browser it looks fine.

Yeah something's broken with your programs there. That image was created by this dude to make fun of bad color grading:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=437909496&forumid=219

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

#truedetectiveseason2

These are great.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alien Isolation also does the transfer-from-actual-VHS effect and it looks amazing. Visually that game nailed everything.

Blurgh, this looks like it was animated by the SaGa Frontier 2 guys.

d0s posted:

The Wu Tang Classics line would like to have a word with you.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

If you fall asleep watching it you don't get woken up by loud rear end menus. It also remembers your place for years.

Of course head cleaner and tracking and general quality more than make up for that.

univbee posted:

iTunes version of Guardians of the Galaxy

Blu-ray

also

poo poo's hosed yo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah something's broken with your programs there. That image was created by this dude to make fun of bad color grading:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=437909496&forumid=219

Dangit. Sword in the Stone is legit, at least.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

wtf it looks like they're running Super Eagle or something on those birds.

Why would they beak the visual style like that? I wonder feather they had the original master or not. It's ineggscusable. That Blu ray cut is for the birds.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Why would they beak the visual style like that? I wonder feather they had the original master or not. It's ineggscusable. That Blu ray cut is for the birds.

These puns are rather fowl.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

I remember a company put out a series of drive-thru movie classics (shlocky horror stuff, mainly) and they would have a 5.1 audio track replicating the drive-through experience; the movie sound would only come from the front left speaker (because for you young'uns the speaker was like a CB radio on a pole that you clipped to your front driver's side window in the pre-radio transmission days), there'd be ambient sound from the other speakers like people getting out of their own cars between the two features, honking their horns if they were getting impatient for the movie to start, and a fly flying around because clipping the speaker makes it impossible to fully roll up your window.

That loving owns.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

King Vidiot posted:

This is why I still love and casually "collect" VHS. People will offload VHS tapes and have absolutely no clue of their value because they think "dead technology, must be worthless". I once snagged two complete (outer box and inner clamshell) copies of the Thriller Video Elvira tapes, which regularly go for $20-40 on eBay and are fairly uncommon. I got both of them plus three other movies (C.H.U.D., License to Drive and Predator) for a buck.

FYI to people in this thread, if you see big box VHS anywhere that isn't a Disney movie, chances are that someone will buy it from you for a lot of money on eBay. It's the movie nerd equivalent of getting a game CIB

Also to tie it back in to video game chat my VHS collector buddy is the only reason I've seen Joysticks, the goofball 80's sex romp set in an arcade that features John Gries (aka Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite) as King Vidiot.

(I recommend everyone watch this movie if you have a fondness for bad 80s movies.)

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Nativity In Black posted:

(I recommend everyone watch this movie if you have a fondness for bad 80s movies.)

I have a DVD of it that I bought straight from the director. I'm pretty sure he just ripped the VHS tape.

All you need to know about this movie is the intro song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTiuIl8xDec

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheRedEye posted:

All you need to know about this movie is the intro song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTiuIl8xDec

Well that and the fact that Joe Don Baker gets top billing because he's the biggest "name" in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

King Vidiot posted:

Well that and the fact that Joe Don Baker gets top billing because he's the biggest "name" in the movie.

I asked the director what Joe Don Baker is like and he said "He's really...lazy."

• Locked thread