Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Edit: Oh boy I sniped with a copy of the previous post that I didn't see. H-how about those PVMs? Right folks?

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RPGs are the most amazing thing to me because it's people exploiting quirks in whatever algorithms affect the random seeds. Like in Final Fantasy VI Doomgaze is 100% guaranteed to be the very next encounter if you enter a specific village and a specific NPC happens to be facing a specific direction.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So WaterMelon just said Pier Solar isn't on sale during the Steam Winter Sale because it's enough of a bargain at $15.

Still not as ballsy as publishing the game on GOG.com after plagiarizing art assets from CD Projekt, I guess.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Glitchfest TASes are the best TASes, and don't let anybody tell you differently.

Breaking Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is the hardest I laughed at any video game related Youtube.

:edit: Around the halfway mark is when he uses Shang Tsung and the cartridge begins to melt.

UMK3 has the best glitches. Once I fought every character in the game in an endurance match. You never know what's going to happen each time you pop the cart in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

So WaterMelon just said Pier Solar isn't on sale during the Steam Winter Sale because it's enough of a bargain at $15.

Still not as ballsy as publishing the game on GOG.com after plagiarizing art assets from CD Projekt, I guess.

Haha, really what did they steal?

Also it is on sale for PSN, not that you should buy it because the game and community is terrible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

Meanwhile if you're fans of old-style RPG's you can buy a dozen games of extreme length for $8 in the Spiderweb pack. And I'm positive there's a hundred similar options that are also more affordable, it's just that Spiderweb is what came to mind first.

Posting this made me think, "I wonder what classic games Steam has on sale..." and I found Q*Bert Reloaded. Call me a old-fashioned, but there's something perverse about using hexagonal layouts in Q*Bert.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

Haha, really what did they steal?

Also it is on sale for PSN, not that you should buy it because the game and community is terrible.

This is a selectable avatar from their forums, depicting a character from one of their upcoming games:

This is the cover of The Witcher Special Edition:

Thought you could give it a different nose and nobody would notice, didja lads?

The game also ganked a line from Yahtzee's review of the The Witcher, which I thought was bizarre considering Yahtzee's hatred of JRPGs, but then I saw that and figured somebody over there just likes The Witcher.

Oh, and I've had my own run-ins with the community. One of them called me a serial killer for writing about the game's gameplay and story problems instead of focusing on the 64-megabit ROM size or something.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That cigar is actually just a cigar.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Posting this made me think, "I wonder what classic games Steam has on sale..." and I found Q*Bert Reloaded. Call me a old-fashioned, but there's something perverse about using hexagonal layouts in Q*Bert.

The real perversion is that the arcade version of Q*Bert isn't available anywhere (outside of buying the arcade machine) for some reason. It was up on PSN at some point IIRC but has long been gone.

The NES version is close at least but not quite perfect.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Discount Viscount posted:

The real perversion is that the arcade version of Q*Bert isn't available anywhere (outside of buying the arcade machine) for some reason. It was up on PSN at some point IIRC but has long been gone.

Is that not what "Classic" mode is in Q*Bert Rebooted? http://store.steampowered.com/app/285960/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

From the screen shots it looks like that Q*Bert Rebooted includes an arcade mode, it's just that they have a lot more screenshots of their weird hexagon mode.

Of course, they do have this thing to go with it...

I'm glad my local arcade has a Q*Bert machine. It's one of my favorite of pattern clearing games from the early arcades...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Glitchfest TASes are the best TASes, and don't let anybody tell you differently.

Breaking Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is the hardest I laughed at any video game related Youtube.

:edit: Around the halfway mark is when he uses Shang Tsung and the cartridge begins to melt.
A new "playaround TAS" was uploaded recently of non-Ultimate MK3, for more bending the cartridge to the user's whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FUehDwK0QQ

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

A new "playaround TAS" was uploaded recently of non-Ultimate MK3, for more bending the cartridge to the user's whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FUehDwK0QQ

Amazing. I love the MK3 break videos, that poor game.

These always make me die laughing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8XpWZTBkiU

TAS videos are just the best, glitch ones even more so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uhh...not sure when this happened, but the New-In-Box price for a Japanese PS2 (the 90000 superslim series) is $700-800. :stare:

At least used prices are more sane (although still about $120 for that specific series, you have to really want to not have a power brick since the 70000 series is half that or less in some cases).

EDIT poo poo yeah my EDGB arrived, on the last day before my work closed.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 19, 2014

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there something unique about the Super Slim that would make it worth more than the normal PS2/Slim? Is this just a weird Japan thing?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Is there something unique about the Super Slim that would make it worth more than the normal PS2/Slim? Is this just a weird Japan thing?

The outside aesthetic is slightly different (a step back IMO), but the biggest difference is that the 70000 series needs an actual AC adapter (the same one the PSOne slim uses, in fact) while the 90000 series just uses one of those basic figure-8 power cables (sidenote: the 90000 is an impressive as gently caress feat of engineering for pulling this off), so if you were super-sensitive about aesthetics or space or that sort of thing it's better, but probably not really with that level of price difference.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I think I want to bring one of my MVS boards into work for KoF '98 during lunch. However, our TVs are HDMI only and I don't want to bring in my X-RGB Mini in. What are the cheaper options for getting video out of my MVS and into HDMI. I do have two superguns, one I built myself that is a rats nest of wires and outputs S-Video and composite, and a vogatek that does composite. I'm willing to build another supergun if necessary, or buy another supergun like the vogatek if it's at a good price and does HDMI.

Also Jaguar guy on the last page who said you didn't have a game: I have an extra copy of Cybermorph now if you need a Jaguar game PM me and I'll get it sent to you.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

I think I want to bring one of my MVS boards into work for KoF '98 during lunch. However, our TVs are HDMI only and I don't want to bring in my X-RGB Mini in. What are the cheaper options for getting video out of my MVS and into HDMI. I do have two superguns, one I built myself that is a rats nest of wires and outputs S-Video and composite, and a vogatek that does composite. I'm willing to build another supergun if necessary, or buy another supergun like the vogatek if it's at a good price and does HDMI.

Also Jaguar guy on the last page who said you didn't have a game: I have an extra copy of Cybermorph now if you need a Jaguar game PM me and I'll get it sent to you.

Unfortunately HDMI is an all-digital signal and an MVS/supergun is going to be analog. You will need some sort of X-RGB Mini equivalent somewhere in the chain, even one of those $50 SCART to HDMI converter boxes.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

univbee posted:

Unfortunately HDMI is an all-digital signal and an MVS/supergun is going to be analog. You will need some sort of X-RGB Mini equivalent somewhere in the chain, even one of those $50 SCART to HDMI converter boxes.

$50 isn't bad, especially compared to another XRGB Mini, what is the performance on them? Do they introduce too much latency for fighting games to be playable?

edit: Looks like there are a lot of composite / s-video to HDMI converters out now, way more than the last time I went shopping for something. Has anyone used something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETCSHP-Composite-Converter-Upscaler/dp/B003NS0UUQ/
It's really dumb to go down to composite and back up to HDMI on the Neo Geo, but considering most of my hardware puts out composite, this could get a lot of use as a portable converter, I don't really want to walk around with the XRGB Mini in a backpack.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 19, 2014

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

univbee posted:

Uhh...not sure when this happened, but the New-In-Box price for a Japanese PS2 (the 90000 superslim series) is $700-800. :stare:

At least used prices are more sane (although still about $120 for that specific series, you have to really want to not have a power brick since the 70000 series is half that or less in some cases).

Shlomo Palestein posted:

univbee posted:

The outside aesthetic is slightly different (a step back IMO), but the biggest difference is that the 70000 series needs an actual AC adapter (the same one the PSOne slim uses, in fact) while the 90000 series just uses one of those basic figure-8 power cables (sidenote: the 90000 is an impressive as gently caress feat of engineering for pulling this off), so if you were super-sensitive about aesthetics or space or that sort of thing it's better, but probably not really with that level of price difference.

The 90000 series loads faster. It's better for speedrunning, better for the casual gamer, and will probably outlast older models due to the manufacturing year and parts.

But an actual reason shouldn't keep you from speculating every time something like this comes up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Keyboard Kid posted:

The 90000 series loads faster.

Huh, honestly did not know this. Thanks!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

The 90000 series loads faster.

I believe you'll find that the original fatty loads faster...

When you install your games to a hard drive.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Random Stranger posted:

:iceburn:

This is seriously the best thing I ever did to our PS2.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chainclaw posted:

Thanks but I got a copy coming from eBay for like $6

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

The Slim 700XX models are the best because then you get the slim form factor and with a mod, the ability to plug in an SATA drive. Best of both worlds.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

xamphear posted:

The Slim 700XX models are the best because then you get the slim form factor and with a mod, the ability to plug in an SATA drive. Best of both worlds.

This reminds me, I still have a Test from my 1UP days, are those good for anything that softmodding can't already do?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

just finished catching up with the last ten pages of this thread, and I'm definitely taking pictures of my stuff tonight for insurance reasons. Yikes.

I just played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 the Manhattan Project for the first time yesterday. I gambled on two cheap as-is copies off of Ebay. One turned out to be in near mint condition whereas the other doesn't work and looks like it's the Dorian Gray portrait of the first one. Overall I think I like the second game better. I'd say 3 is harder overall, but the boss fights are kind of easy.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On GBAtemp some guy is selling DS Lite and Wii Dev kits for $500 and $375 respectively if bought within the next few days. Most of the replies are from people who don't really understand what a dev kit is.

In other news Nintendo is working on making more WiiU Gamecube controller adapters! No big surprise but they said something. Wow.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/39241/more-gamecube-controllers-and-adapters-promised-by-nintendo

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 20, 2014

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That dev Wii looks sick! That's also great news about more adaptors coming. My nephews and I love playing the new Smash Bros I wouldn't mind having us all on gamecube controllers.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Housh posted:

That dev Wii looks sick! That's also great news about more adaptors coming. My nephews and I love playing the new Smash Bros I wouldn't mind having us all on gamecube controllers.
I didn't know about the red dev Wii, only the green one. It really does look cool. I want the adapter to play Gamecube games on Wii U with Nintendont. They've been working on DK bongo support! :v:

Let's talk retro games forums and communities briefly.

I really don't get GBAtemp. It's this weird mix of gamefaqs and assemblergames, with a heavy dose of piracy discussion but without actual links to anything. It was super cool in the GBA and early DS days but the site's staff and non-forum content only ever get worse. Now it's 95% awful forums discussion with the other 5% being amazing coders and hackers. I can't help but check back every couple weeks.

Famicom World is good for the super nerdy and collectors. Hardcore NES and famicom discussion that I can't get into, but the buying/selling subforum has really good stuff from time to time. Gotta be careful with that one.

Any recommendations or places you hate?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Dudeguy posted:

This is amazing.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 20, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
There is no TAS funnier than this TAS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tafCE6GJrhQ

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
On the topic of PS2s - I have a SCPH-30001 R that I've had for 5years or so. The drive tray lets out a horrendous shriek sometimes when I open it. Is there a sensible way to lubricate it or should I leave it alone? I'm comfortable with disassembling the thing because I removed the top and the lid of the dvd drive to do a major dusting a couple years ago and fiddle with the little clicky adjuster wheel to get the fewest clicks from the drive when loading a game.

I like my big, noisy fat PS2. It's my Lumines machine mostly :haw:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I love you guys.

Here, have some Mega Man TAS memory register vomit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYAW9WoLHks

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Vanagoon posted:

On the topic of PS2s - I have a SCPH-30001 R that I've had for 5years or so. The drive tray lets out a horrendous shriek sometimes when I open it. Is there a sensible way to lubricate it or should I leave it alone? I'm comfortable with disassembling the thing because I removed the top and the lid of the dvd drive to do a major dusting a couple years ago and fiddle with the little clicky adjuster wheel to get the fewest clicks from the drive when loading a game.

I like my big, noisy fat PS2. It's my Lumines machine mostly :haw:

You want to put some silicone grease on the gears and optical rails. Just a dab will do, and clean off the old gross stuff first. Honda shin-etsu grease is the best you can get.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Only Shallow posted:

You want to put some silicone grease on the gears and optical rails. Just a dab will do, and clean off the old gross stuff first. Honda shin-etsu grease is the best you can get.

I have a spray can of white lithium grease. Can I apply this stuff via a rag and/or qtip or does it have to be silicone based? Not trying to be petulant, just trying to learn.

Thanks.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Vanagoon posted:

I have a spray can of white lithium grease. Can I apply this stuff via a rag and/or qtip or does it have to be silicone based? Not trying to be petulant, just trying to learn.

Thanks.

Yeah that's fine. I usually use a toothpick but yours might be too thin to for that. Just don't :gizz: all over it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Heran Bago posted:

Any recommendations or places you hate?

Something Awful .com

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
One last little injection of old weird games before I cut myself off next year and actually play all of these drat things.

I'm going to do it. The year of the backlog starts soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I really need to get to cutting through my retro backlog. I have a bunch of random flea market grabs I haven't touched beyond testing to make sure they work.

• Locked thread