Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

univbee posted:

i.e. game has 4 sides, you have sides 3 and 4.

Does the game absolutely require you to play through sides 1 and 2 and carry over a save, or will it let you start with no clue of what's going on?

Aggh ok, fair enough. I had no intention of actually playing it, at least not for the time being. I don't have a drive yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
With luck the first two sides are just the intro/ending depending on the game.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If people are looking for FDS games I'm pretty certain I'm about to do a mass-exodus of my collection which is pretty large. I'm kinda on the lazy side so I would only do it through a group sale and idk who wants ~30 games

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Seems like the other half is pretty easy to come by. I'll pick it up. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

In this case, Nintendo released Shin Onigashima in two halves about a month apart. IIRC, you have to have a save from the first half to play the second.

Shin Onigashima is an adventure game that works in a lot of Japanese fairy tales. I've heard it's one of the more interesting Famicom adventure games, but there is no translation patch for it (I just double checked to see if that's changed in the past few years since I last went to look for one).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm going to get an FDS to put under my original Famicon and never hook it up. Just going to buy that USB dongle.

I definitely want to get my Fami RGB modded though.

e:

Random Stranger posted:

In this case, Nintendo released Shin Onigashima in two halves about a month apart. IIRC, you have to have a save from the first half to play the second.

Shin Onigashima is an adventure game that works in a lot of Japanese fairy tales. I've heard it's one of the more interesting Famicom adventure games, but there is no translation patch for it (I just double checked to see if that's changed in the past few years since I last went to look for one).

This makes me sad. Japanese fairy tales are very much my thing. I guess it's just another reason to keep on with studying Japanese.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

This makes me sad. Japanese fairy tales are very much my thing. I guess it's just another reason to keep on with studying Japanese.

You can get dual language books of Japanese fairy tales to help you study! I have a bilingual edition of A Treasury of Japanese Foktales and it's pretty nice (don't get the Kindle edition; you want to see the same block of text represented in both languages at the same time).

Adventure games are a real challenge for the fan translator. It would be significantly easier to take the art assets from the game and recreate it in a way that lets you plug in English text easily. Still, they seem to be the last thing that any fan translator wants to touch.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Random Stranger posted:

You can get dual language books of Japanese fairy tales to help you study! I have a bilingual edition of A Treasury of Japanese Foktales and it's pretty nice (don't get the Kindle edition; you want to see the same block of text represented in both languages at the same time).

Adventure games are a real challenge for the fan translator. It would be significantly easier to take the art assets from the game and recreate it in a way that lets you plug in English text easily. Still, they seem to be the last thing that any fan translator wants to touch.

Well, I know what's going on my ever growing Amazon book wishlist...

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

G-Prime posted:

You're a weak man who got a hell of a deal there. Last I knew they were going for more than double that.

Edit: Recent ebay sales (besides yours) would indicate I might be wrong there, but I swear I've seen multiple that were higher than that.

Yeah I looked at those other two auctions and one was untested and the other the board was slightly damaged. Looks like they don't hit eBay too often.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Captain Rufus posted:

The game boy is one of those things where the games rule but the hardware is miserable to me.

That's why you get a Game Boy Player and/or Super Game Boy (2).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrCsT0Yu_O8

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RodShaft posted:

I'm about 20 minutes east of Gary, Indiana(Ogden Dunes) for the weekend. Any good game stores I should check out if I can sneak off for a bit?

Video Palace in Hobart?

Edit:
Is the supaboy compatible with those NES/Genesis/GBA-SNES adaptors?

did you find anything in my hometown? ;-* Hobart is where I was born (and is in fact where I spent my teenage years thrifting for countless hours).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Discount Viscount posted:

This was the first Kirby game I ever owned.

I mean, I'd played Dream Land before that, but never owned it, and I didn't play any of the power-copying ones until Nightmare in Dreamland.

I recall not exactly liking Tilt & Tumble at the time, but I'm feeling oddly nostalgic for it now. Wonder if I still have the old GBA lying around somewhere, since I don't think it works well with the GBA-SP+, I know I don't have a GBC, and I have very little interest in rotating a Gamecube...

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Caitlin posted:

did you find anything in my hometown? ;-* Hobart is where I was born (and is in fact where I spent my teenage years thrifting for countless hours).

I didn't have time to get away. We did go to the Chuck E Cheese right there though... I'm there a few times a year though, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Discount Viscount posted:

Oh I am well aware of that: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2014/01/retro-computing-why-bother-special-more.html

I actually completed Castlevania Adventure 2 on the GC thanks to such things. One of these days I will complete many more games. I finished Mario Land on a GB Color though. Left the thing turned on in between breaks at work and completed it in a day. Stuff like suspend states or soft system pauses ala the PSP and DS is even good too. Only have about 14 minutes of actual break time in my breaks but 5-6 a night. Being able to stop the game at any time is sort of a must.

Or at least games like Bionic Commando Elite Forces that make you play for no more than 10 minutes between save points. Even if it's only that long because it's a loving stupidly hard game made for people with the patience of gods and the whip swing skills of someone who considered the NES game TOO EASY. :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Talking about how rare fan translations of Famicom adventure games are, I decided to go check one out this evening. However, here's the current listing at romhacking.net:

I wouldn't call most of those "adventure games" (a whole lot of action in those games) though there's two more adventure games hidden under "visual novel". So there wasn't a whole lot of options. The one that stood out to me, however, is an infamously titled game that I've never played. That's why I decided to try playing through Jesus: Kyoufu no Bio Monster, or Jesus: Terrible Bio Monster if you need the "Kyoufu no" part translated.

Sadly it's not about a thousand-foot tall Christ attacking Japan. This is one of those cases where someone in Japan grabbed an English word because they decided it sounded cool without really considering the context at all. Jesus in this case is a medical space station that orbits a full twenty kilometers above the earth (I didn't bother checking to see if that was the translator's error or the game). The use of common English words in situations where they'd be confusing continues through the game. There is a mission to Halley's comet which is done by a pair of ships called "Comet" and "Corona" and those words are used in places where they could be talking about the features of the comet or the ships.

For whatever weird reason, Jesus doesn't actually matter much in the story. You're there for the first ten minutes of the game and then occasionally people talk about going back there, but that's pretty much it.

Once they get to the comet (the actual comet, not the ship) the intrepid crew of the mission encounter an alien life form that invades the ship in an extremely blatant Alien rip off. The monster picks off the crew one by one while you have to figure out how to stop it. This involves walking around to various rooms and selecting every command until things advance. There are several points in the game where there's no clue what to do, no information, you just have to keep going to rooms that you visited and hope that this time something happens as you go through all the menu options there.

I don't know if the alien can actually kill you since I never died to it. Would it have gotten me if I picked the wrong options too many times? In one scene I had to keep trying different things that I knew wouldn't work until it finally let me do the thing that I knew would work and that involved a lot of repeatedly picking bad commands as I tried to figure out what commands it did want me to use in order to get the correct one to go.

The final puzzle of the game is one of the worst I've ever encountered. I'm going to spoiler block it because some of you might go check out this game after I've talked about it and it's only polite, but it's so absurd and insane that I think you should read the spoiler anyway. Your love interest in the game plays the keyboard and has a cassette with her music on it. This song, which you hear three times briefly over the course of the game, is the only thing that hurts the monster. And for the final puzzle they give you a keyboard and essentially tell you, "Go ahead. Play it." No sheet music. No follow the keys. Not even a refresher of what the song sounds like since you last heard it forty-five minutes ago.

This game is apparently very well regarded in Japan. I'm going to assume that most of that is nostalgia since I can see how it would have been well received in 1987 even though it hasn't aged well. It looks really sharp for for a Famicom game with a lot of animation for the characters. And it has a very SF movie feel to it. The game is super short, only about two hours long (okay, I sped up the text scrolling because it was so slow, doing it normally could easily more than double how long it takes to play).

Regarding the translation, it's rough. There's problems with fitting English into the interface and having it come out incomprehensible. They really should have adapted the text a bit more freely in those cases. Then there are lots of errors that make the game harder to understand. This is a big game with a lot of text so it's an impressive effort that it did get translated and this is one of the very few adventure games to get this kind of translation, so it deserves some praise for that.

I know what you all really want from this post, though. A ton of screenshots of people using the word "Jesus" in goofy ways:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So it's basically NES Snatcher/Policenauts, then?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Was there ever a proper fan translation of the XZR series without censorship? I'm fascinated by Japanese games influenced by Middle Eastern history and religion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

So it's basically NES Snatcher/Policenauts, then?

Yes. Chunsoft (who made Jesus) set down the formula for the Japanese console adventure games around 1986 and a lot of people followed it closely. Basically, a picture of the area, text description, and a menu. The player would have to pick through the menu, sometimes repeatedly, to find the triggers that advance the story. In the 16-bit era this would mutate away from the menu options to become visual novels and that style of adventure game died out.

Housh posted:

Was there ever a proper fan translation of the XZR series without censorship? I'm fascinated by Japanese games influenced by Middle Eastern history and religion.

Someone did a translation of the MSX version of XZR II, but as far as I can tell no one has translated any version of the first game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The season 2 OST for Xbone's Killer Instinct came out today. Along with the new Mick Gordon tracks (which are kickin' rad, especially "Village of Whispers"), it includes all the music from the original Killer Instinct 2 as well as the remixes from the KI Gold Cuts album. I'm so loving happy to have good quality versions of the KI2 tracks :allears:

PLAY HARD WITH THE FEELING

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When Japanese gamers say it's a classic I'm positive they're referring to the PC88 original which of course had better graphics, keyboard shortcuts, and instant text readout there was really no contest. The music puzzle is in the PC version but you can play it with your keyboard (not the musical keyboard) so even if you forgot the song you can start a new game and zip through until it's played. The difference between the PC88 longplay and NES longplay on youtube is 40 minutes to 140 minutes, likely because the text is so slow! You can't die in the NES version and there's only one way to die in the PC version. It's pretty rare to die in Japanese VNs.

The music was composed by Koichi Sugiyama hot off Dragon Quest so I'm sure every single Japanese gamer in 1987 could recite Aoi Mugen by heart.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 4, 2015

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

How rad are you?

Are you rad enough to hold a Ninja Spirit Hu-Card with a katana?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-Spirit-for-PC-Engine-/161783539061?hash=item25ab0ce575

Ebay Sword Guy posted:

Tested and works. This game works with the PC Engine and is not compatible with the Turbografx. Sword not included.

Erluk fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 4, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erluk posted:

How rad are you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-Spirit-for-PC-Engine-/161783539061?hash=item25ab0ce575

You fool, it's in direct sunlight! :ohdear:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Erluk posted:

How rad are you?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You fool, it's in direct sunlight! :ohdear:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:golfclap:

Some ebay sellers really do take this "be different" approach into weird tangents.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nice touch with the font. :golfclap:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Anyone have a spare $2000 I can borrow?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Invad...=item4d357afc13

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
just pay the $326 for 6 months

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

When Japanese gamers say it's a classic I'm positive they're referring to the PC88 original which of course had better graphics, keyboard shortcuts, and instant text readout there was really no contest.

They were definitely talking about the Famicom version. And like I said, I can definitely see how it would have been popular with kids back when it came out because it really does look terrific.

zenintrude posted:

Anyone have a spare $2000 I can borrow?

I think we have an answer to "How do you make an obscenely rare game even more rare?"

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 4, 2015

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Is the 3DO the only game system that utilizes daisy-chain controllers (Lethal Enforcers guns notwithstanding)?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Random Stranger posted:

Yes. Chunsoft (who made Jesus) set down the formula for the Japanese console adventure games around 1986 and a lot of people followed it closely. Basically, a picture of the area, text description, and a menu. The player would have to pick through the menu, sometimes repeatedly, to find the triggers that advance the story. In the 16-bit era this would mutate away from the menu options to become visual novels and that style of adventure game died out.

Oh good. I just finished 999 and VLR recently. Guess I'm giving this a go as well.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Is the 3DO the only game system that utilizes daisy-chain controllers (Lethal Enforcers guns notwithstanding)?

I think, off hand, it might have been. It wouldn't surprise me if the CD-i had some provision for that, but a quick look doesn't really suggest it to be the case.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Does the TG16 count, since it doesn't actually daisy chain controllers but does require an accessory?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As another heads up on cheap retrogames, right now you can get the not previously released in the US Capcom fighting game Cyberbots (a.k.a. the game that Jin is from) on PSN for $3. They also have a ton of other retro and retroish things on sale like the Mega Man PS1 games (don't get the 1-4 ports since there is the collection coming soon), Strider 2 (which comes with a port of the arcade version of Strider), and the Beyond Good and Evil remake.

My brother's coming by for dinner this weekend and I can't wait to show him Cyberbots. I was seriously considering importing the Saturn version, too....

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
According to that one gaming ebay-watchers site that is a hilariously awful deal. The watch is either new or relatively new, definitely not Virtual Boy era. So you're buying a cash-in nostalgia watch and a VB game- not worth the thousands wanted.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Time to clear out some of my MAME backlog.

Oh, Osman/Cannon-Dancer. Developed by Capcom alumni and billed as an unofficial sequel to Strider, it's a platformer set in a cyberpunk Middle Eastern. A fresh setting is always cool right?

gently caress. No. This game is unbelievably bland, a 20 minute long poo poo show of arcade cliches and some of the worst quarter munching designs I've seen in a long time. Strider was already a bare bones platformer but it's forgivable in 1989. This is 1996! You've got SNK with their beautiful hardcore action games and Capcom still setting the bar for technical challenges. Then you have Osman, this game with chunky sprites that flash and flicker like an NES title. There's no conventional challenge or coherent level design: in one section the game pauses to explain in agonizingly slow text that I have to run away from a truck. For such a massive buildup the actual challenge is holding right until you land on a platform that explodes a second later with no warning. Your sole power up is a mirror character, a move practically required to defeat some bosses, that disappears after taking damage. The designers must have understood how terribly designed the game is that you're given a special attack that can kill bosses in a single hit. The biggest sin? The final level is a boss rush gauntlet with no checkpoints. You die you go back.

I can at least appreciate its aesthetic even though the graphics are often too busy.

I want to go Angry Video Game Nerd but there's really nothing more to say. Go play Run Saber or Strider 2 and leave this in the garbage bin. It's a shame, I can count the number of Middle Eastern games I've played on one hand and the only other cyberpunk one I've seen, the other being an adaption of a book by Westwood Studios.

I have that on my backlog as well.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

As another heads up on cheap retrogames, right now you can get the not previously released in the US Capcom fighting game Cyberbots (a.k.a. the game that Jin is from) on PSN for $3. They also have a ton of other retro and retroish things on sale like the Mega Man PS1 games (don't get the 1-4 ports since there is the collection coming soon), Strider 2 (which comes with a port of the arcade version of Strider), and the Beyond Good and Evil remake.

My brother's coming by for dinner this weekend and I can't wait to show him Cyberbots. I was seriously considering importing the Saturn version, too....

Are the prinny games any good as far as throwback platformers go? Or should I skip them on account I don't really want to own a game called "dawn of operation panties dude"?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Got a nice little call today saying I was losing my job, so I decided to toss some things on SA-Mart. Namely a GGTV-modded Game Gear and some Atari Lynx 2 stuff.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734796

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I want to go Angry Video Game Nerd but there's really nothing more to say. Go play Run Saber or Strider 2 and leave this in the garbage bin. It's a shame, I can count the number of Middle Eastern games I've played on one hand and the only other cyberpunk one I've seen, the other being an adaption of a book by Westwood Studios.

That's a shame. I've been meaning to play that one. If a big Strider fan doesn't care for it then I'd probably wind up despising it.

al-azad posted:

I have that on my backlog as well.

I have a copy and I played it a long time ago. I remember kind of liking it, though not being overwhelmed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, weird rumour from out of nowhere: Double Fine's next Lucasarts remaster for Sony may be one of the scrapped unreleased versions of The Dig, a game famous for its nominal affiliation with Spielberg and for going though a lot of drastic revisions before release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolshi
Feb 14, 2012

So, I came in here a while back for some help with a Super Famicom and a Framemeister but try as y'all might, nothing would work. Well I finally got things going not too long ago and I'm really not surprised the simple solutions failed because jesus christ, the whole thing was borked. To cut a long story short, the problems were such that I needed new cables and a new console, so that was, uh, fun I guess?

Anyway, in the spirit of continued :retrogames: , I recently picked up an N64 to RGB mod as a little side project ('little' being the operative word, holy poo poo some of those pins are small). I've already grabbed a few neat things that I'll post at some point but before I get anything else, I've heard there are some titles that do those awkward mid-game resolution changes that are nigh-on unplayable with a scaler. The only one I can find 100% confirmation of is Resident Evil 2 - are there others? Please tell me there are dozens so I'm not tempted to do something stupid like work on a boxed NTSC-J set. Please.

• Locked thread