Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Could be worse, at least they didn't saddle us with pointlessly bulky cases made from ugly translucent plastic this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Katana Gomai posted:

Oh cool, yet another thing that NoA offers but NoE doesn't. Terrific.

Wait what? You can't order plastic cases in Europe? Why would NOE do that?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
On one hand, NOA has a fully stocked service/replacement parts shop, on the other you can actually buy games from NOE.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

On one hand, NOA has a fully stocked service/replacement parts shop, on the other you can actually buy games from NOE.

And on the floor lies Nintendo of Australia, dropped on its head and not all there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RodShaft posted:

Woah. Is it hated here? Cause granted, I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it's goddamned magical.

The whole book is a guy going REMEMBER THING THING WAS GREAT gently caress YEAH 80S and then a curvy goonette girlfriend and then it ends. It sucks.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pudding Huxtable posted:

The concept is neat and fun, the references are nerdtastic, but when the author gets to the self-insertion-psuedo-romance, poo poo just gets cringey to no end. Hopefully Spielberg will make it a semi-fun summer popcorn flick at least.

I just posted this in the PYF terrible book thread, but I started reading it, and it is pretty terrible. It's poorly written, has cringetastic moments (the whole romance thing) and is kind of just a list of things the author liked about the 80s. That said if it was handled by a competent author and a little more self aware it would be way better. Hopefully Spielberg can do it well. And rumor is he's trying to lure Gene Wilder out of retirement for it...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's a line in his new book that (probably paraphrasing a little) goes "I nodded. Not in agreement, but just to acknowledge that I understood the reference" and I feel like that sums up Clines oeuvre fairly well

Also his new book is literally a teenagers rebuttal to his parents telling him to do something useful instead of just playing games all the time

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Literally The Worst posted:

There's a line in his new book that (probably paraphrasing a little) goes "I nodded. Not in agreement, but just to acknowledge that I understood the reference" and I feel like that sums up Clines oeuvre fairly well

The problem is that gives too much credit to the man, this is someone who writes every reference in the following fashion:

quote:

We walked out of the cavern and realized we were in front of an arcade machine, ostriches painted on the side, its screen flashing at us, beckoning us on.
"Whoa! Joust!"
"Mmm-hmm. I know this. I know this all too well."

No reference can go unexplained, because otherwise how would those people who didn't have his exact same fetishization of this culture realize he was making a deep cut at every opportunity? Seriously, look for it. Basically every reference is "slightly subtle descriptor, call-out, response". For two whole novels now.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Looks like someone wrote a 3rd party Sunsoft 5A/5B/FME-7 mapper for the Everdrive N8. I guess they were mostly focused on getting Gimmick to sound better. It certainly sounds improved but beyond that I can only compare it to Youtube videos. Anyone else want to give a trip report?

Edit:
Messing around in the sound test (hold select then press start on the main menu) and Sophia sounds an awful lot like it does in this video so I'd have to say the results are good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKevE-_U4g0&t=640s

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 30, 2015

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

McCracAttack posted:

Looks like someone wrote a 3rd party Sunsoft 5A/5B/FME-7 mapper for the Everdrive N8. I guess they were mostly focused on getting Gimmick to sound better. It certainly sounds improved but beyond that I can only compare it to Youtube videos. Anyone else want to give a trip report?

Edit:
Messing around in the sound test (hold select then press start on the main menu) and Sophia sounds an awful lot like it does in this video so I'd have to say the results are good.

I just tried this out, and while it does work pretty well with the music in Gimmick, the sound effects are still a little off. The effects when you're charging a star and jumping are a little scratchy. Still, much better than it was!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ryden posted:

I just tried this out, and while it does work pretty well with the music in Gimmick, the sound effects are still a little off. The effects when you're charging a star and jumping are a little scratchy. Still, much better than it was!

Good to hear. Hopefully the sound effects can be dialed in with a revision or two.

Edit: Or right now.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 31, 2015

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Dang, that was quick. Gimmick sounds perfect now!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ryden posted:

I guess yesterday was the perfect time to order an Everdrive N8. Looks like I get to experience this overlooked gem as intended.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Look what I got today!

It's a Cosmic Guerilla conversion of a Galaxy Wars cab(just board and instruction stickers on the glass there). It is beautiful!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So uhhhh with Gimmick finally fixed on the N8 anyone wanna buy my repro? Works fine, is for US NES systems. It's pretty.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ryden posted:

What type of Famicom are you checking it on? I ask because the person who wrote it said they used an AV Famicom. It sounds good on my AV Famicom but when I tired it on a regular Famicom some of the sound effects were oddly quiet. Specifically, the jump and attack sounds are quiet but the item collection sound is much louder as is all of the music.

I wonder if they corrected for the AV Famicom's audio mixing problems and inadvertently caused audio problems for regular Famicoms?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

flyboi posted:

So uhhhh with Gimmick finally fixed on the N8 anyone wanna buy my repro? Works fine, is for US NES systems. It's pretty.

for how many dollars? :3:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

What type of Famicom are you checking it on? I ask because the person who wrote it said they used an AV Famicom. It sounds good on my AV Famicom but when I tired it on a regular Famicom some of the sound effects were oddly quiet. Specifically, the jump and attack sounds are quiet but the item collection sound is much louder as is all of the music.

I wonder if they corrected for the AV Famicom's audio mixing problems and inadvertently caused audio problems for regular Famicoms?

The everdrive has a "hi" and "lo" mixing mode to compensate for the volume differences between models. Did you toggle it when switching systems?

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

McCracAttack posted:

I'm using a toaster NES that has the expansion audio mod. Everything sounds as it should.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

for how many dollars? :3:

$50 shipped? The UGC label sucks but it's a very pretty cartridge made by fatpat. I'll even throw in the programmer since I have no use for it after fixing the gimmick cartridge. It currently has the JP rom on it. I think the flasher can also dump NES games/sram but not 100% on it. I own no NES games so :pcgaming:

http://www.infiniteneslives.com/kazzo.php

If you're interested I'll make a sa-mart thread

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zonekeeper posted:

The everdrive has a "hi" and "lo" mixing mode to compensate for the volume differences between models. Did you toggle it when switching systems?

I didn't toggle it switching systems. The TV I have my Famicom hooked up to has crummy speakers so maybe that's it. Or maybe I've got brain problems.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I've been away from most of my stuff and also the internet for the better part of a month but now I'm back and that sure didn't stop me from making some dumb purchasing decisions in the meantime! :retrogames:

This isn't even what I'm talking about really, the actually dumb thing gets here in a couple of weeks!! gently caress!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Actually that's a really smart purchase since you can now browse https://www.shenmue.com via archive.org on your Sega Dreamcast since you can no longer access it via disk 4 of Shenmue as the site is long dead. :D

http://web.archive.org/web/20010405144440/http://passport.shenmue.com/us/game/index.html

There was a project to basically trawl all archives and reassemble all of the Dreamcast game websites and host them independently but I don't think it ever happened. Many of the archive snapshots are listed here so you can replicate what it was like when we played these games for the first time in 1999~2002.

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5813

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Being able to use IRC on your TV was some next-gen poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Being able to use IRC on your TV was some next-gen poo poo.

Pfft you could do that on the Saturn

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

The whole book is a guy going REMEMBER THING THING WAS GREAT gently caress YEAH 80S and then a curvy redditor girlfriend and then it ends. It sucks.

FTFY

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Was that wizard of oz rpg for ds any good? Been reading all the oz books and watched return to oz so I've been on a bit of an oz kick lately.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
As far as i'm concerned, the dumbest part of the book was that it relied on internet nerd culture no longer being about endless references to old rear end poo poo. In this world there are like teenagers who can quote you full Monty Python and Dr. Who episodes from the 60s verbatim, ain't no way so many people will forget about 80s pop culture and games that something can be hidden by putting it behind things based on that.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Bills aren't cool and I'm parting with a few things to help out. So far I'm selling an adapter/converter to play SMS games on the Game Gear and also selling the supremely cool Bubble Bobble for GG.

This adapter is one of the coolest things ever I just don't really use it anymore. I primarily used it for testing SMS games on the fly but honestly right now I'm fine "only" being able to play my SMS games via my Genesis Power Base Converter. I randomly happened to grab a blue label game to test it but don't think that means it won't work with standard colored games.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739448

VVV Son of a gun this is news to me, I had no idea. Apparently the 2 GGs I've tried this on both happened to be compatible. I see the info with the Majesco GGs now, thanks again for the heads up. Learn something new every day!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 31, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Probably worth mentioning that the Game Gears with the monochrome logo can't use that revision of the adapter.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What's a good way to store a collection of game boy and game boy advance games?

And anyone know of a cheap place to get plastic game cases? I have found them for around $2 each which seems high

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Taint Reaper posted:

Use blank 3ds cases and get the sized covers from coverproject

the cases are large enough to hold the game and instruction booklets.

Ah this looks cool but takes up way too much space. I just need some kind of "box" to store loose games in. Probably should just use some wood box with silica gel packets in it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I got my SuFam controllers in the mail today and just finished making SuFam controllers with 6 foot US cords. It is surprisingly easy to swap out parts between US and Japanese controllers and Nintendo is nice enough to tell you what color button goes where. I think I got two solid controllers now thankfully too as the D-Pad on one of my controllers was getting pretty bad.

Sadly I am not going to be able to enjoy them for awhile as I am moving in 24 hours and it will be a bit until I can get all my retro stuff up to Chicago.

A side note I found Street Fighter 4 3D for 8 bucks at Target this morning. Pretty good deal.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

African AIDS cum posted:

What's a good way to store a collection of game boy and game boy advance games?

And anyone know of a cheap place to get plastic game cases? I have found them for around $2 each which seems high

Trading card binder sleeves work great, some people have said they don't fit theirs but I'm using this exact one: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-9-Pocket-Trading-Pages/dp/B00095M5DQ/

Only problem is you kind of need to keep it upright or they'll fall out. Tape would fix that if you want to put your binder upside down, I guess?

The original GB cases are a little pricey as you need them to make games "complete", and there don't seem to be many cheap third party replacements.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would probably look for cheap plastic rulers to tape to the back of the sheets as some sort of reinforcement splint.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Ready Player One was a fun book that didn't take itself seriously and is worth reading. Everyone here is taking it way too seriously, which is the exact wrong way to read it.

Armada was not good, though. Don't bother.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I definitely need a better Mac, OpenEmu is really good. It's actually really nice having all the covers laid out, it's making me notice games I hadn't before. But my Mac is super-old so performance is a mess. :argh:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Was that wizard of oz rpg for ds any good? Been reading all the oz books and watched return to oz so I've been on a bit of an oz kick lately.

I don't know, but I do recommend Emerald City Confidential, which is a pretty decent LucasArts-style point and click adventure by Wadjet Eye.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheRedEye posted:

I don't know, but I do recommend Emerald City Confidential, which is a pretty decent LucasArts-style point and click adventure by Wadjet Eye.

That looks really cool. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The one I had worked pretty well. It definitely made Sega Genesis stuff look a hell of a lot nicer, and SNES games were also quite nice, too. Be aware (and I'm sure Asbrandt will chime in about it) that you may need to adjust some color potentiometers inside the converter to get correct color balance. I will say that the one I had was purchased used off of Ebay, so it didn't seem to need any adjusting, but that could have been due to the previous owner putting in the time to make sure the picture looked normal, color-wise.

Keep in mind that your consoles will need to output RGB in order for the converter to work. The most common Sega hardware typically does this just fine. The first model SNES does too; the second model "Mini" does not, unless you have that functionality modded back in. Pretty much all NEC hardware is going to be RF (TG16, original PC Engine) or composite video (both Core Grafx consoles and the CD interface unit); you would need to either shell out for some uncommon, handmade cable or have the console modded for RGB.

For audio, if you look on Ebay (and maybe on Amazon), there are SCART audio breakout adapter that go between the console cable and the converter. Be aware it can be a kind of poor connection that way, and the build quality on many audio breakout boxes isn't that great. SCART-to-component converters can also be modified to have direct audio output; if you're not handy with a soldering iron, you could always see if Monitor Burn would be down to do it. You probably wouldn't pay a whole lot more, and would save yourself a lot of aggravation and inconvenience most likely.

Thanks for all of this. I picked the TV up today (stupid Salvation Army is closed on Sundays because Jesus) and it's really great for $20. The only problem I have with it is that the component input is doing really funky things. The only console I have at the moment with component cables to test against is my OG Xbox, and when I start the system it works fine for the intro splash screen, but as soon as it tries to move to the dashboard the screen goes all fucky and unreadable with vertical and horizontal sync problems like an old analog scrambled pay per view channel. Since it works fine for the splash screen I'm guessing it's changing resolution after that to something that the TV can't handle, but I've hooked the system up to my LCD and made sure that it's in 480i mode over component yet it still doesn't seem to fix anything. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? S-video and every other input seems to work fine, so I'll just get S-video cables for all of my systems if I have to, but this is driving me nuts.

• Locked thread