Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the HG101 article screwed up: Sybubblun is hidden in Bubble Bobble X68k, not Syvalion X68k.

There's a writeup on Sybubblun with a WinX68k savestate here: http://gaming.moe/?p=51 I'm guessing that's what the HG101 guy was referencing he just didn't proofread his article.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Unnnnfff Gunstar Heroes on 3DS is so drat good

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
With how much money sealed NES games sell for how come there hasn't been people making counterfeit versions with identical box, manual, game etc?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

African AIDS cum posted:

With how much money sealed NES games sell for how come there hasn't been people making counterfeit versions with identical box, manual, game etc?

Because the cost and effort to do so would pretty much outweigh the benefit, especially in a country without a major industry based around copyright infringement.

You'd have to get a bunch of very good quality loose carts or refurbish the hell out of beaters, get good dust sleeves for each, and then there's the whole issue of printing. Printing, in particular, would be a problem because you not only have to deal with general costs, but also with making sure the colors look right, that you're using the right stock, and there would be probably an extra upfront cost to deal with making a custom box size and shape. And that's just for the boxes, to say nothing of the manuals. And let's not forget the add-in posters and promo materials, as seen in this SMB 3 auction.

Then you get to monotonously pack up multiple games, deal with searching for buyers, and all the while hope no one looks too critically at what you're selling.

Basically, it's way too much effort and risk to do meaningfully, and the profit is probably not that great.You might get away with loving over one or two people, and then it's over. It's only something for the extremely desperate.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Elliotw2 posted:

Remember that if you feed that rechargable batteries, it'll not work right when the battery hits about 50%.

Why is that? I assume from what you're saying it wouldn't do so with traditional batteries.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, that guy was talking about sealed games specifically, so in theory all you have to get right is the box, the seal and the weight/feel of the contents. Assuming that none of your buyers are going to open it up and discover that there's actually just a Bases Loaded in there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Why is that? I assume from what you're saying it wouldn't do so with traditional batteries.

Rechargeable AA/AAA batteries are a lot more electrically unstable than regular ones. A normal battery will just tick down to its death at a steady rate, but rechargeable ones start to get wobbly at lower levels because the content materials have to be able to take a second charging. This gets even worse over time after repeated charge/discharge cycles. You see the same thing occur in any Lithium-Ion battery in modern technology, but because they're made a whole lot better it takes years for those to finally die.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Who says there aren't? All large collectable markets have people counterfeiting high end items. Not on a large scale, usually, but one offs from time to time. Though every so often someone decides to do a large scale counterfeiting operation of collectables...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nerdlife.jpg

Stopped by a local retro game store on ye olde scoote, picked up a Dreamcast keyboard, Xevious for the NES and Fred Couples 36 holes for the 32x, since I'm working on a complete US 32x collection. Disappointingly, even though I had a 30 minute commute home with a Dreamcast keyboard strapped to the back of the scoot, not one person rolled down their window and shouted something about the Dreamcast, which I was really hoping would happen.

Then swung by goodwill on the way home and found a really nice shape Grape Gameboy Color for $9

Gotta say it was a good day.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Saoshyant posted:

Rechargeable batteries run at a lower voltage, and the Turbo Express will happily keep turning on with the total voltage under what the logic chips want. It probably won't hurt the system, but you will see glitches.

If you're electrically inclined, I've seen guides on how to add a circuit that keeps this from happening around the Internet before.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
The Freddie Couples 32x golf game is far from the best golf game ever but is still pretty cool in my opinion.

The super slow draw time sucks at first glance but as stupid as it sounds it makes me respect it after a while.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

Who says there aren't? All large collectable markets have people counterfeiting high end items. Not on a large scale, usually, but one offs from time to time. Though every so often someone decides to do a large scale counterfeiting operation of collectables...

Yeah I am pretty sure there is quite a few counterfeit sealed games out there in the wild. I imagine the SNES and Genesis stuff would be the most likely targets due to the lower quality Mexican print runs at various times. Although the amount of sealed NES stuff appearing out of no where lately sets off my bullshit detector as well. I wouldn't be surprised if as much as 40% of the sealed, complete games out there are counterfeit in some way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

Over twenty-five years after playing it and I am still the master of Castlevania 2. Okay, I screwed up and thought there was an upgrade in between the morning star and the flame whip so I skipped the morning star initially making me have to backtrack across the whole map. And I went "Laurels! Harumph! Those things were such a waste of money!" and got stuck with the swamps for a while (not helped by having an underpowered whip). But Dracula still goes down like a punk to the gold knife.

I'm kind of pleased to have actually completed my 8-bit Castlevania collection. Now I feel like I should get Castlevania Chronicles for the Playstation so I can play the x68000 version of the first game. Let me just check the price and... :retrogames: oh. Of course it is.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tyson Tomko posted:

The Freddie Couples 32x golf game is far from the best golf game ever but is still pretty cool in my opinion.

The super slow draw time sucks at first glance but as stupid as it sounds it makes me respect it after a while.

Yeah, but not every game can be PGA Tour Golf 2 on the Genesis. (the best "realistic" golf game)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

The title 36 Great Holes: Starring Fred Couples was wasted on a game you're allowed to play before you're 18. :argh:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shoutouts to amazon sellers who say the game is disc only but are nice enough to include a generi-box

Also I'm nearly finished S&P Star Successor, it's sooo much better with wiimote/nunchuk than classic controller. Some of the levels are just way too drat long though. And I love when Treasure games throw boss after boss at you, but there are a couple of Star Successor levels that are just 10 minutes of boring -> cool boss -> 10 minutes of boring -> cool boss -> 10 minutes of boring, etc.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tyson Tomko posted:

Looking at a video of this game, this reminds me a lot of Pebble Beach Golf Links for the Sega Saturn (and 3DO, I think?).

Not the same developers from the looks of things, though; Pebble Beach was T&E Soft (creators of such classics as Virtual Hydlide) and this is... somebody else.

Kind of impressed at the FMV running on the 32X, though, even if it's limited to Fred Couples's head. I mean, that's still a cartridge-based system.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadow Hog posted:

Looking at a video of this game, this reminds me a lot of Pebble Beach Golf Links for the Sega Saturn (and 3DO, I think?).

It had a Genesis release, too. It also redraws agonizingly slow.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Think you can get it inside mine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDAHVvDLuA&t=424

Alucardd fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 5, 2015

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I found a CIB Magnavox Odyssey 3000 at a thrift store for 20 bucks and after looking at eBay prices ~50 decided not to buy it. Did I make a huge mistake?

I did buy two gamecube controllers for 1.99 each, so I think I came out pretty well.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm kind of pleased to have actually completed my 8-bit Castlevania collection. Now I feel like I should get Castlevania Chronicles for the Playstation so I can play the x68000 version of the first game. Let me just check the price and... :retrogames: oh. Of course it is.

At least it's on PSN.

I forgot how exactly I got my copy. I think it was a cheap(ish) shopgoodwill auction shortly before everyone found out about that site.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I picked up a pair of 13" Pvms for a great price. Haven't tested them yet but hoping they are better than my current pvm. They also had a 13 inch JVC but I passed on it bc it was widescreen. I may have screwed on that one but I didn't have much room in my car.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Out of curiosity, what would a NIB Black Gamecube be worth?

I'm debating selling mine. I haven't opened it because I have a wii, but part of me wants to keep it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cloks posted:

I found a CIB Magnavox Odyssey 3000 at a thrift store for 20 bucks and after looking at eBay prices ~50 decided not to buy it. Did I make a huge mistake?

At first I thought that you had somehow stumbled upon an Odyssey3 and passed it up (worth thousands, last I checked) but no, upon looking it up there's no real reason to own a 3000 unless you just like owning stuff.

Anyways, my own finds for today were as such:
Fist full of PS2 non-sports games*- 5 bucks.
Animal Crossing Wii- 2 bucks.

Cliff Racer wins again unless you count time spent in which case I should have just slept in and then brought them on ebay instead.

*Games are as follows:
Medal of Honor: Frontline for PS2 in Crash Bandicoot (PS1) case
Power Drome
Rugby 2004
DDRMAX 2
007: Agent Under Fire
Tekken 4
Halo 2: Limited Collector's Edition for Xbox
GTA IV for 360 (not in case and decently scratched)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Been slowly rebuilding my PS1/PS2 collection, in addition to whatever catches my eye. Sticking to the stuff I can get relatively cheap, ie no jrpgs. I'll settle for PSN on those.

This is what I've gotten the last two weekends hitting up a couple of Disc Replays and People Play Games.

No idea if the Blaster Master game was any good but the price was right. Also don't remember if Cybertiger was awful or not but the cover art was worth 99 cents alone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Man, I had no idea Hydro Thunder had a PS1 port. I just remember it on Dreamcast.

Grabbed some super cheap wii games from gamestop. Munchables, Domino Rally, Harvey Birdman, and Boom Blox for $9.50 in total. I also finished Star Successor. I don't know how anyone could beat the final two levels with a right analog stick rather than a wiimote. It just doesn't seem possible, even if you crank the sensitivity all the way up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Milkman posted:

No idea if the Blaster Master game was any good but the price was right. Also don't remember if Cybertiger was awful or not but the cover art was worth 99 cents alone.

I see a ton of N64 Cybertigers and that label always makes me go, "What the hell were they thinking?"

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I see a ton of N64 Cybertigers and that label always makes me go, "What the hell were they thinking?"

the legs :stare:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SnatchRabbit posted:

I picked up a pair of 13" Pvms for a great price. Haven't tested them yet but hoping they are better than my current pvm. They also had a 13 inch JVC but I passed on it bc it was widescreen. I may have screwed on that one but I didn't have much room in my car.

1. What model(s)?

2. What's inadequate about your current PVM?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Where do you live, and how did you find these? I really want a pvm.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
A local store was having a buy one get one half off on used games today, so I used it as a way to take some of the hurt off of buying Contra and Pokemon Platinum.

I didn't take pictures, but both are basically like new. That Contra was 'spensive, but it looks nice!

e: Not that DS games are retro, but hey, it helped me get Contra cheaper.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 6, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

Now I feel like I should get Castlevania Chronicles for the Playstation so I can play the x68000 version of the first game. Let me just check the price and... :retrogames: oh. Of course it is.

MSRP in 2001 - $19.99. It was the first time I pre-ordered something online and it was, to my surprise, actually delivered on launch day. It's a fantastic classic CV, one of my favorites. It also comes with 4 soundtracks (hold L1 + R1 while selecting original/arrange mode) - YM2151, Roland LA, Roland GS, arranged. All are different and worth checking out.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheMadMilkman posted:

Getting a PVM or BVM is a very odd process, in a way. They're not scattered across the country evenly, they were always very much used in certain esoteric niches (broadcasting and video production, of course, but also medical imaging and as general purpose displays for various non-standard hardware), and thus their availability ranges from "I got a pallet load of 20" displays for $10 just because some warehouse dude wanted to free up space" to absolute nada (as in my area).

You can always check the sales section of your local Craigslist, and if any university or government facility in your area is advertising a surplus sale, you could check there, too. However, in this day and age, I think the PVM train has kind of dried up; most places are either holding on to them for the time being, or replaced them long ago (and probably sent them to the dump or electronics recycler rather than trying to sell them), which probably makes Ebay your best option. The 20" models are popular and pricier (and the larger displays are both rare as hell and pricier still), but you can still get a 13" - 14" display for relatively cheap. Cheap, at least, when you consider it's a pro-grade tube with direct RGB input, rather than some PB&J-smeared, dog piss soaked corner Trinitron pickup.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, I posted in the wrong thread, because I am a dumbass and text searched for a "Classic" gaming thread. Duh.
Anyway, I repeat my query:

In a fit of nostalgia, I've decided that I need to complete Dungeon Master, since I never did back in the day.
I'm planning on playing it on an Amiga emulator, since that's the version I played back 1988. However, I've heard that there are a number of modern remakes of the game. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for a version that they like?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Also, now that I'm here, have any of you ever been to the Classic Console room at PAX East? Got any comments, criticism?

I've been an Enforcer there for the last few years, and I'd like to hear some Goon feedback, if any exists. Like, console/game selection, that sort of thing. For example, the tournaments tend to be very localized; I've run a popular NHL 94 on Sega Genesis tournament for the last four years, and they never do that at the other PAXes. In fact, Sega Genesis is WAY more popular at PAX East vs PAX Prime.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Today I turned this...

...into that:

Not a big thing but I'm happy how it came out.

Source: http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/ (complete flyer packs under "flyer packs"). Those are just flyers I sent in to "develop"/print like photos and then pinned them to the wall.

\/ Looks interesting. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 6, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Source: http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/ (complete flyer packs und "flyer packs"). Those are just flyers I sent in to "develop"/print like photos and then pinned them to the wall.
http://www.flyerfever.com/ is a new site by the guy who used to run that site. It's pretty cool.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Kthulhu5000 posted:

1. What model(s)?

2. What's inadequate about your current PVM?

1. PVM 1350 and a PVM 1351q. Just tested the 1350 so far and it seems to work great.

2. My current set is a PVM 14m2u. It's great overall, it just has the odd problem of sharpness getting washed and colors oversaturated after about an hour of use. I think someone in this thread mentioned it could be a capacitor that might need replacing. I don't have the skills to do it and I haven't had any luck calling around to find someone who does. Sucks too, bc the 14m2u is 600 lines versus the 450 lines of the the 135x's and I love me some fat scan lines. When it actually works, I think I favor the overall picture quality of the 14m2u, but like I said that lasts for about an hour depending on how hot it is out that day.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm almost certainly going to get rid of at least one of these I'm just not sure which one yet. I'm in northern CA if that helps. FYI, the Bay Area seems to be a nice hotbed of PVM activity just because you have a lot of video production that still haven't managed to get rid of their surplus. They pop up fairly regularly on craigslist in my experience. This new pair came from an estate sale of an emmy award winning video editor.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 6, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Not a big thing but I'm happy how it came out.

Those are some interesting choices. I assume you picked out some of your favorite arcade classics...

The Kins posted:

http://www.flyerfever.com/ is a new site by the guy who used to run that site. It's pretty cool.

This model is very unhappy about having to be a Mag Max flyer.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Does anyone know the time conversion in Kirby's Adventure's quick draw minigame? My 3-year old son just beat it, getting a 10 on the last bit vs Dedede, and I want to know how impressed I should be. Is it a count of frames drawn on the screen?

• Locked thread