Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think it's really awesome that there are romhacks out there that add missing or new features into games like the Spin Dash \ Tails \ Knuckles in Sonic 1 and a fully playable Zero in Mega Man X3.

There's some that haven't ever been made though and that makes me kinda sad because I'm not skilled enough to do them myself. I wish someone would add the slide and charge shot to Mega Man 1-3 and make a hack of the NES Metal Gear that makes it more like the proper MSX version by changing the map layout and replacing the computer with well... the actual Metal Gear itself.

I suppose no one has done the latter as well, you could just play the MSX Metal Gear instead of the NES one, but how cool would it be to slap the proper Metal Gear 1 into your Nintendo?

It would also be really rad if someone converted Super Street Fighter 2: New Challengers for SNES into Super Turbo, but that's probably a much bigger project than all of the above and it would still be very inferior to the Arcade version as the SNES just isn't powerful enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

This cart has the previous owners Mario Paint enka song on it and it's glorious.

Please record this and share it for posterity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrLonghair posted:

http://www.amazon.com/FC-adapters-POKEFAMI-Super-Famicom-support/dp/B005YBKTRO this one's $41 and they look to be around $40 all over, paid 3800 yen for mine. I'd show off some caps of the video quality but amarec has been giving me serious hell.

Saoshyant posted:

I noticed the Amazon pic had a RCA cable and so does yours. What's it for? Doesn't it use the SNES' video output?

I have a similar thing except mine lets me play Genesis on SNES, which is pretty trippy. It doesn't use the SNES for anything other than video and controls so it isn't really running FC or Genesis on the SNES which would be way cooler but understandably impossible.

I only have like 4 genesis games I care to play and I've already got way more consoles than I know what to do with, so this is a nice workaround. Its not a perfect emulator but it works really well.

One day soon I'll probably get a real Genesis though :retrogames:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Someone made a Mario Paint Composer application which adds features absent from the stock one in Mario Paint like the ability to make sharp/flat notes, more than 3 instruments to a beat and greater length etc.

Some people have made...interesting things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_P7-8bbOiI

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gammatron 64 posted:

There's some that haven't ever been made though and that makes me kinda sad because I'm not skilled enough to do them myself. I wish someone would add the slide and charge shot to Mega Man 1-3 and make a hack of the NES Metal Gear that makes it more like the proper MSX version by changing the map layout and replacing the computer with well... the actual Metal Gear itself.

I've always wanted to try making a megaman clone that would let you load up any megaman stage using any megaman's rules, from 1, 3, 4, X, etc.

I've even gotten knee deep into doing it, I just ended up shelving it to work on something else. Maybe I should go back though, I keep having trouble finding artists to team up with, but if I just made a megaman clone I wouldn't need an artist.

I also think it'd be cool as gently caress to have a megaman maker type game like mario maker where you could make your own stages and share them with people. I really love that kind of game in general. I wish they'd release a Zelda game like the original famicom disk drive intended version where you could make dungeons for your friends to play with.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Random Stranger posted:

More like folk song that could be turned enka but still. Will get it done overnight when I sample the instruments then see what can be done.

e: The video output from the FC Adapter isn't hot but it is acceptable coming from PAL land, it's actually solid and staying in place, no vibrations, no bleeding, no jailbars. Just kinda ugly.

and I take back what I said about the audio, was running with insert fx on the mono channel so it was tweaked to make frequencies stand out, it is actually super accurate or maybe even perfect (since FC's got variations). This particular adapter was made in March or June this year, tons of SMD, one small shallow blob on the back. I need to grab some normally famiclone incompatible carts and see how they behave in this high tech unit.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 1, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always wanted to try making a megaman clone that would let you load up any megaman stage using any megaman's rules, from 1, 3, 4, X, etc.

I've even gotten knee deep into doing it, I just ended up shelving it to work on something else. Maybe I should go back though, I keep having trouble finding artists to team up with, but if I just made a megaman clone I wouldn't need an artist.

I also think it'd be cool as gently caress to have a megaman maker type game like mario maker where you could make your own stages and share them with people. I really love that kind of game in general. I wish they'd release a Zelda game like the original famicom disk drive intended version where you could make dungeons for your friends to play with.

I had pretty much this conversation in the Mega Man thread a few months ago as that's basically my dream game.

Every once and a while I'll attempt to make a Mega Man game in Game Maker but I just don't have the free time for it. What were you making it in?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I had pretty much this conversation in the Mega Man thread a few months ago as that's basically my dream game.

Every once and a while I'll attempt to make a Mega Man game in Game Maker but I just don't have the free time for it. What were you making it in?

Java, I tend to use LWJGL for my little game jam projects because it lets me write all the code myself but without going down all the way to the metal. Just enough to get started without constraining me at all. I'm happy working in C# or C++ also though. I used to do game jams in C# using XNA but that's dead now and I like LWJGL better than MonoGame.

I think I had a similar idea in the mega man thread a long time ago... maybe with you! I got far enough I was actually measuring out pixels and trying to reverse engineer the exact MM physics in an emulator. I have a basic platforming engine that can load maps using an open source tile editor (TileED) already good to go but I'd have to program all the enemy and weapon and boss logic.

Hm, maybe we should talk about this. Then again maybe not, haha.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.
I saw this Japanese 8-bit mixtape come across one of my news feeds last night.
After reading the list of associated composers, I decided immediately that I needed to own it.

I wonder if it utilizes the FC expanded audio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4ec90zWf4

Link to story: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/japanese-chiptune-artists-are-launching-a-music-album-in-2016-that-only-wor
Link to production and composors: http://riki2riki.com/html/0_sample_8bit.html
Link to pre-order: http://www.play-asia.com/8bit-music-power/13/709i8h

While I generally dislike both pre-orders and Play-Asia, I couldn't find anywhere else that had it listed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beanzor posted:

After reading the list of associated composers, I decided immediately that I needed to own it.

Link to story: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/japanese-chiptune-artists-are-launching-a-music-album-in-2016-that-only-wor

While I generally dislike both pre-orders and Play-Asia, I couldn't find anywhere else that had it listed.

That's :krad: as gently caress

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beanzor posted:

Amiami: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1
Amazon.co.jp (more expensive than Amiami and might require Tenso): http://www.amazon.co.jp/FC%E4%BA%92...BIT+MUSIC+POWER

Ordered from Amiami.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Anyone have any idea where I may be able to find a replacement ribbon cable for a Dreamcast GD-ROM drive? I picked up a broken console a while back, and after I repaired the dead controller port (easy fix), I discovered that the disc drive wasn't working because the ribbon cable inside the disc drive had torn somehow. Guess I could always just take one from another busted Dreamcast if I have to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zaphod42 posted:

I also think it'd be cool as gently caress to have a megaman maker type game like mario maker where you could make your own stages and share them with people.

MM Powered Up had a level editor and online sharing. I'm sure the online side of it is dead now, but hey.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Capcom were briefly working on something like this years ago, called Megaman Universe.

It was apparently a bit poo poo, and it ended up being cancelled so hard after Inafune left Capcom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Capcom were briefly working on something like this years ago, called Megaman Universe.

It was apparently a bit poo poo, and it ended up being cancelled so hard after Inafune left Capcom.

I think I heard about that, but I've definitely never seen that screenshot before. drat the screen on the left makes me want that all the more, although the screen on the right looks janky as hell.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
How good is a raspberry pi for running retro arch? Is it alright or just a bad experience?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zaphod42 posted:

I think I heard about that, but I've definitely never seen that screenshot before. drat the screen on the left makes me want that all the more, although the screen on the right looks janky as hell.

Every single person who got hands on time with it that I've heard has basically said "the idea was good and the execution was the worst", with at least one using the term "mercy killing" to describe its cancellation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mogomra posted:

How good is a raspberry pi for running retro arch? Is it alright or just a bad experience?

The original Raspberry Pi is like running RetroArch on a phone from about 2006. Quite slow for a lot of things, powerful enough for like NES/Game Boy Color and earlier.(Heck, you can get full speed original Game Boy emulation on a Palm Pilot III PDA from 1998)

The Raspberry Pi 2 is like running RetroArch on a midrange phone from about 2012. Significantly better, still not great for things Saturn/PSX/N64 and up, but a lot of those are at least playable.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 2, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I don't think this guy is a goon, but whoever runs this site is alright with me. I've gotten Earthbound and Star Trek V from him and his work is top notch. His label work is the best I've seen (I've seen maybe 5 repros for all that's worth) and his prices are fair. You ship him (in Canada is the only thing) a certain donor cart and pay him $25, he'll work his magic and create/apply a label and ship it back to you priority/express/something quick.

It's totally a 1 dude operation but he seems to know his stuff. I'm in the process of getting 2 more games for Christmas presents and can't wait for them to arrive.
http://www.nesreproductions.com/

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's okay, I can live without SG-1000 games. Having to remove the 32X is kind of a hassle, but I don't have a Master System and don't really care to get a converter all that much so being able to play them on my TV period is an improvement.

I'm a total spaz with this kind of stuff, so I have an X'eye for my Genesis/Sega CD games, a Model 2 with an SMS adapter for my SMS/3D games, and a model 1 with a 32x for my 32x games. I can deal with a million cables more easily than I can deal with switching stuff around all the time. My Mega Everdrive usually sits in my X'eye or the 32x Genesis depending on the day.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Java, I tend to use LWJGL for my little game jam projects because it lets me write all the code myself but without going down all the way to the metal. Just enough to get started without constraining me at all. I'm happy working in C# or C++ also though. I used to do game jams in C# using XNA but that's dead now and I like LWJGL better than MonoGame.

I think I had a similar idea in the mega man thread a long time ago... maybe with you! I got far enough I was actually measuring out pixels and trying to reverse engineer the exact MM physics in an emulator. I have a basic platforming engine that can load maps using an open source tile editor (TileED) already good to go but I'd have to program all the enemy and weapon and boss logic.

Hm, maybe we should talk about this. Then again maybe not, haha.

I'd you'd really want to do this, I'd be willing to help, but I don't know how much I really can as I'm no professional programmer and haven't really done much coding since college. I'm a computer janitor by trade, not a programmer. I tended to use GameMaker because it was similar to Java which I was familiar with but has all the hard stuff like rendering graphics and level editors built in. I tried helping a kid with a java program in programming 101 a couple years back though and I couldn't even get it to compile, though.

Maybe this is a good resource. This guy's engine seems pretty close and is done in C#:
https://github.com/Tesserex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Tesserex

Making a remake of all the NES Megaman games seems like it would be an enormous undertaking though just doing all the weapons, enemies and stage gimmicks. And you wouldn't even have to do any art assets or level design.

Of course, I'm sure plenty of people online would want an "all-in-one" Mega Man game like the Streets of Rage remake or a Mario-maker type thing so you'd probably have no trouble finding people to help.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

fishmech posted:

The Raspberry Pi 2 is... Significantly better, still not great for things Saturn/PSX/N64 and up, but a lot of those are at least playable.

Cool, thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was wondering.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mogomra posted:

Cool, thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was wondering.

If you want something with a little oomph but be a small device consider the Shield TV. It's like 8 rpi2s in one

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

How's the ras pi zero fit in?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

flyboi posted:

If you want something with a little oomph but be a small device consider the Shield TV. It's like 8 rpi2s in one

Yeah, that's the only other option I know about besides building a some ITX box or something. But on the shield, you're stuck with the terrible Android UI for retro arch, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RodShaft posted:

How's the ras pi zero fit in?

It's a slightly faster r pi 1. The rpi 1 is literally a smartphone chipset from 2006, the zero is like one from early 2007.

Sure it's great for 5 bucks, but it still won't be good for much more than NES and non-addon type SNES games.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Screw all of that. Just get a intel NUC. It can handle pretty much whatever you can throw at it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Fwiw the pi model b let me play through super metroid and it was fine except some minor slowdown on a few stages with water on screen. So probably fine up to 16 bit.

What's also acceptable is amazon fire tv stick. Retroarch exists for it, you can swap out the launcher to something less amazon branded. I've mainly used it for watching mkvs (kodi streaming from a rpi upnp server) and it's flawless.

It was on sale for like $25 the other day, I should've bought another.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So has anyone been able to purchase any of the retro games from Gamestop in store yet? They're slowly making sections in stores for old rear end games it seems.

90 dollar Chrono trigger

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

So has anyone been able to purchase any of the retro games from Gamestop in store yet? They're slowly making sections in stores for old rear end games it seems.
I haven't seen anything in the Philly/South Jersey area yet. Also that Chrono Trigger is probably just a re-labeled Madden 95 :v: (there's been a few stories so far like this from GS)

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, that's the only other option I know about besides building a some ITX box or something. But on the shield, you're stuck with the terrible Android UI for retro arch, right?

I have my Shield booting straight into Kodi as the launcher, so the Rom Collection Browser add-on is what I use as an emulation front end. It works really well. It doesn't save you from your emulator of choice's UI if you need it for some reason in game like to save state, but it's a hell of a lot more usable than most emulator's UIs.

Also, I'm not sure if they're still doing this, but as of a few months ago when you bought a Shield you also got $25 Play Store credit, which I used to buy all of the .emu emulators, because they're mostly great. I haven't seen a need to use Retroarch yet.

Way late edit: on the subject of emulation on Android, I'm really impressed at how much things have come along in the last few months. The Saturn emulator ouYabause runs really well (solid 60fps on Panzer Dragoon Saga with my Shield) and as long as you're using a nightly build Dolphin is almost worth using. I tested Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros and was getting between 20-25fps on all of them. I wish there was a way to turn off sound on Dolphin, though, because the sound is pretty hosed and I wonder if no sound would give it the extra few FPS to make it solid. The Saturn side is making me really consider either getting a knockoff USB Saturn controller or a Saturn to USB converter.

Jadius fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 2, 2015

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Is there still an irc room? What's the info? The info I have isn't working and I didn't know if it's my Android irc client, or my ancient server data.

Edit: I'm using avarice.wa.us.synirc.net, port 6667, no SSL, #retrogoons

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RodShaft posted:

Is there still an irc room? What's the info? The info I have isn't working and I didn't know if it's my Android irc client, or my ancient server data.

Edit: I'm using avarice.wa.us.synirc.net, port 6667, no SSL, #retrogoons

Just use synirc.net because specific nodes like the one you're using may not always be around.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I tried that first, then irc.synirc.net. must be my client.

Edit: finally got a client that works(maybe). But the room is empty, so either it's dead or this new client is lying to me.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 2, 2015

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I tried that first, then irc.synirc.net. must be my client.

Edit: finally got a client that works(maybe). But the room is empty, so either it's dead or this new client is lying to me.

room is #retrochat

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I was thinking of getting a modchip for my saturn but it seems panzer dragoon is cheaper than I expected. the US one is "only" around $40-50. Same for the 2nd one.

The japanese one is like $15 b\c japanese retro games are almost always cheaper for some reason. Is panzer dragoon the kind of game where I need to know what people are saying \ read things?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Panzer Dragoon Saga is the limited one, and bear in mind it's a multi-disc game. Some eBay auctions are just for one of the discs, and I think the first disc was given away as a game demo with a magazine back in the day.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Golly Ghost was mentioned a few days ago so I felt the need to show off a few cabinets a friend has:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I've never played Golly Ghost. Looks like Pac-Man crossed with LA Machineguns which sounds loving cool though.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Not completely Retro but does anyone have any suggestions for good gamecube titles to pick up? If so can they be played on a wii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you're into Gauntlet style beat'em ups check out the many Lord of the Rings games on Gamecube. They can usually be had for DIRT cheap, and are surprisingly fun and have a ton of replay value.

Regarding Golly Ghost, it's pretty cool and very unique.

The background and doors are physical objects while the ghosts and effects are superimposed on them. That combined with the recoil/force feedback of the guns makes for a really fun experience. Also since there are 2 guns, OF COURSE you've got to try to play as player 1 and 2 at the same time with 2 guns...and it semi-works.

• Locked thread