Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
STG is the Japanese nomenclature for "shooting game" and while it's definitely dumb it's still preferable to (and shorter than) "shmup".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just noticed a strange issue cropping up on my Genesis M1. The picture looks fine but it seems to "jump" and "shake" whenever the audio kicks in. I tried lowering the volume gauge, which does lessen the effect, but it still happens. None of my other consoles display the same effect. Could it be my SCART cable? This is on a PVM.

Sounds to me like your cable's using a common ground for both audio and video and you're getting crosstalk because of it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Zand posted:

its so fun and unlocking ships is even fun. i have it on my PS2 hard drive and its one of the games i still will play on there (the others being We Love Katamari and Lumines[even tho it sux])

Contra: Shattered Soldier

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Finally beat the 2nd (?) level boss in Oracle of Ages, that stupid spinny face thing. That is such a tedious and unfun fight.

I've had this game for a couple of years now and gave up on it about a year ago. Picked it up on a whim tonight and beat the boss on the first try. Funny how that works sometimes. It's been so long I don't remember how far into the game I am.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jadius posted:

I keep seeing STG everywhere and maybe this is a stupid question, but is that actually an acronym for something? Googling "video games stg" tells me that it's "ShooTing Game", which sounds dumb as hell and I refuse to believe that it's right.

Yeah that's what it means, I use it because it's less dumb than "shmup", a term that makes my eye twitch in autismal fury

e:

RodShaft posted:

Contra: Shattered Soldier

:agreed:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Get ready to twitch some more, courtesy of your pal and mine, PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/cave-shmups-are-coming-to-steam/

quote:

Shmup, in videogame parlance, is an abbreviation of shoot 'em up. Bullet hell is a shmup sub-genre in which the screen is filled with a ridiculous amount of enemy projectiles flying every-which-way. And finally, Cave, according to Wikipedia, is "one of the most active makers of arcade shoot-em-ups in the Japanese market." I tell you all of this because the website at Caveshmups.com indicates that at least some of its games are on their way to Steam.

"Steam can't dodge these bullets," the site says in a brief message below the Cave and Steam logos. "Winter 2015." There's no mention of which games in particular are making the move, but PCGamesN notes that the purple stuff on the borders of the site is very reminiscent of Mushihimesama, which is apparently one of Cave's better-known games. The Cave Shmups site also offers a sign-up option for email notifications of future announcements.

I don't play shoot-em-ups myself, but I did very much enjoy Shoot Em Up, a silly, fun movie starring Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. It's not relevant to the videogame genre in any way whatsoever, but it's a solid choice if you're looking for something to watch this weekend.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

STG just didn't have time to bake like FPS and RPG or even TBS and RTS. It sounds like a disease "Hey, I've got STGs wanna play them?"

I've always said "shooter" and people know what I'm talking about.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hilarious that the only Cave game so far released on steam is easily played in MAME and the stuff that isn't (Akai Katana, DDP SDOJ, Deathsmiles II) is nowhere to be found. But really who cares when Crimzon Clover exists and it out-caves Cave without a single waifu in sight

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
There's always demul or whatever it's called for cave games

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
is contra shattered soldier better than Neo Contra

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

al-azad posted:

STG just didn't have time to bake like FPS and RPG or even TBS and RTS. It sounds like a disease "Hey, I've got STGs wanna play them?"

That's because all of those are actual acronyms. SG would make more sense.

Speaking of STDs, wasn't that a brand of third party accessories around the 16 bit era? I remember being in a Target in 93 or so and my brother picked up a controller or something, threw it to me and said, "I just gave you an STD!"

Edit: yup, it was one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SN-ProPad-C...QgAAOSw5dNWlb76

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zand posted:

Yes and no. Neo Contra is mostly a top down shooter so it's nothing like classic Contra but it has some cool encounters and is an okay game overall (there's a talking dog wearing a pickelhaube and you run on spinning helicopter blades c'mon!). But even Shattered Soldier is a break away from Contra formula with really small levels and an unchanging power up system that promotes perfecting the compact levels. It's very puzzle-like in its execution, kind of how Bangai-O looks like a crazy Treasure game but has explicit rules for you to master.

Contra 4 is the best modern version while Neo Contra and Shattered Soldier stand on their own.

e: Shattered Soldier reminds me a lot of Hard Corps or Alien Soldier. 80% boss fights, 20% run and gun. I guess technically Hard Corps Uprising would be the best modern version of "Contra."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 7, 2016

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

al-azad posted:

Contra 4 is the best modern version while Neo Contra and Shattered Soldier stand on their own.

e: Shattered Soldier reminds me a lot of Hard Corps or Alien Soldier. 80% boss fights, 20% run and gun. I guess technically Hard Corps Uprising would be the best modern version of "Contra."

Uprising is great and I've only ever gotten to the middle of the second stage so far.

ReBirth is fun although the backgrounds are a bit boring, and dealing with the Wii's small internal storage can be a pain.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zand posted:

al-azad posted:

Yes and no. Neo Contra is mostly a top down shooter so it's nothing like classic Contra but it has some cool encounters and is an okay game overall (there's a talking dog wearing a pickelhaube and you run on spinning helicopter blades c'mon!). But even Shattered Soldier is a break away from Contra formula with really small levels and an unchanging power up system that promotes perfecting the compact levels. It's very puzzle-like in its execution, kind of how Bangai-O looks like a crazy Treasure game but has explicit rules for you to master.

What Al said but let me just put this here to see if it sways your opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg0Ctn_QITk

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

STG doesn't make a lot of sense in English and wasn't really used in the US until twenty-five years after the genre started, while FPS, RPG, and RTS were used as abbreviations pretty much immediately after the terms were coined for their genres.

I think I like Shattered Soldier better than Neo Contra, but they're both worth playing. But talking about those games is making me think I should play the PS1 games just to see for myself how bad they are.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shattered Soldier is a veeery strict memoriser and that gives it a different vibe to all the other Contra games but it's good fun if you have the time to dedicate yourself to it.

d0s posted:

Hilarious that the only Cave game so far released on steam is easily played in MAME and the stuff that isn't (Akai Katana, DDP SDOJ, Deathsmiles II) is nowhere to be found. But really who cares when Crimzon Clover exists and it out-caves Cave without a single waifu in sight

Even beyond the HD graphics, Mushi PC isn't 1:1 with the arcade game so it's not like it's made redundant by emulation.

They're picking ports based on a number of factors: availability on X360 (not just what's there and what's not but also region-locked vs region-free), which games/ports were done by Cave vs what was done by external devs, worldwide recognisability, etc. Mushi HD got picked because the X360 release was region-locked and because the international iOS version did okay, and Deathsmiles was picked because it's far and away their most successful home release. Port #3 will have to be a Dodonpachi game and I suspect it'll probably be DFK rather than SDOJ which is kinda boring but if you hate anime girls you might as well skip SDOJ because they anime'd the poo poo out of that game.

More than anything else, these games need to sell so they can start making new poo poo already.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Kea posted:

Been watching that Nintendo Quest. It is bloody horrible. I am not even sure why I'm still watching but the main guy is an rear end in a top hat, he basically cheats by buying a ton of the games super cheap off his friends straight away. Worst is when he claims he has seen little sampson for $300 and claims he will only buy it off the guy for that much, while pulling that number out of his rear end, the other guy should have just told him "man you saw that for $300 and you didnt buy it you are an idiot".

This is stupid and I am worse off for watching it.

edit: Did he die and cut his hair at the end?

I always cringe watching game collector shows because everytime they try to haggle over the price of the game even though it's fair most of the time, the owner just has this look like "stop low balling me, we both know what it's worth".

I just don't understand the appeal of doing stuff like this if you are broke.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
that intro for neo contra is insane. i have this game sealed and i've never even tried it.

Risky posted:

I just don't understand the appeal of doing stuff like this if you are broke.
the appeal is the same, the only difference is that the person is poor. believe it or not some people want to do things that they don't necessarily have the money for

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I want to know why Brawler and Shooter became Beat 'em up and Shoot 'em up. I blame the UK and their habit of giving things dumb cutesy nicknames.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Probably because the generation where "beat 'em up" came into fashion also saw the home release of games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Fighting game? Brawling game? Pretty much the same word. Right around that time we were getting the early Wolfenstein games and of couse Doom and the popularization of the First Person Shooter. Hell, it has "shooter" in the genre name, so it's hard to keep track of "well yeah it's a shooter, I don't see the difference?" Language just split to make the distinction.

poo poo man you could write a dissertation on video game terminology
:goonsay:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Deathsmiles was [...] far and away their most successful home release.

:smith:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
deathsmiles is a really fun game wrapped in a really unfortunate presentation

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

deathsmiles is a really fun game wrapped in a really unfortunate presentation

The tagline on the back of the US package is mindblowing, I wonder if that's a direct translation from the Japanese box or did somebody actually sit down in some american office and think up "Death smiles upon us all, lolis smile back"

I don't even mind anime in my shooters, but just would like them to lean more towards ESP Ra.De or Radirgy and less like... that. It really feels like Cave is choking on otaku dicks just to stay afloat and that's a fate worse than death

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

It really feels like Cave is choking on otaku dicks just to stay afloat and that's a fate worse than death
It's less that that's what it feels like, and more that that's what they've been doing ever since they finally realized that arcades may not be a thing forever.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

Probably because the generation where "beat 'em up" came into fashion also saw the home release of games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Fighting game? Brawling game? Pretty much the same word. Right around that time we were getting the early Wolfenstein games and of couse Doom and the popularization of the First Person Shooter. Hell, it has "shooter" in the genre name, so it's hard to keep track of "well yeah it's a shooter, I don't see the difference?" Language just split to make the distinction.

Nope. Fighting games were generally called "1 on 1 Fighters" at the beginning, and FPS were called "Doom Clones" and then "Corridor Shooters".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

The tagline on the back of the US package is mindblowing, I wonder if that's a direct translation from the Japanese box or did somebody actually sit down in some american office and think up "Death smiles upon us all, lolis smile back"

I don't even mind anime in my shooters, but just would like them to lean more towards ESP Ra.De or Radirgy and less like... that. It really feels like Cave is choking on otaku dicks just to stay afloat and that's a fate worse than death

The tagline was all Aksys.

Bear in mind, Cave hasn't made a new arcade STG in years now - they swore off console ports and their arcade game division was disbanded but they're testing the PC market to see if they can revive their STG business there, and they've already acknowledged a high demand from western players for the more "stoic" games like DDP and Ketsui, so maybe they'll start pandering that way instead.

That being said, there are people within Cave and all these developers that are genuinely into that moe stuff so there's probably no undoing it anymore.

The Kins posted:

It's less that that's what it feels like, and more that that's what they've been doing ever since they finally realized that arcades may not be a thing forever.

It wasn't a response to declining arcades so much as it was them (and many other devs working in lots of genres) catching wind of the Touhou phenomenon and wanting a piece of the action - not by directly imitating Touhou, necessarily, but by making characters that would encourage a similar degree of attachment.

I agree that it sucks to see every other STG go in that direction but it sucks to see so many of these games in general. I mean, they just announced a new Medarot game full of pandering female trainers whose clothes explode at the end of a fight. Even loving Medarot isn't immune.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Quiet Feet posted:

Finally beat the 2nd (?) level boss in Oracle of Ages, that stupid spinny face thing. That is such a tedious and unfun fight.

I've had this game for a couple of years now and gave up on it about a year ago. Picked it up on a whim tonight and beat the boss on the first try. Funny how that works sometimes. It's been so long I don't remember how far into the game I am.

I just started playing Oracle of Ages too. For some reason I never got around to playing it or seasons before, despite the fact that Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm loving the hell out of it so far.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

and Deathsmiles was picked because it's far and away their most successful home release..

That is rather sad:

(Look at least I dug up a picture of the ad.)

Zand posted:

that intro for neo contra is insane. i have this game sealed and i've never even tried it.

For years I confused Neo Contra with the terrible PS1 games. When I finally played it last year I had way too much fun.

The White Dragon posted:

poo poo man you could write a dissertation on video game terminology

Seriously, the language shifts are just fascinating, especially in the very early days when people needed to divide genres but there wasn't a lot of interaction between players so every arcade and playground was making their own terminology.

Edit: Here's a fun game for us to play. I have in my hands a copy of "How to Win at Nintendo" and the first heading of each section is the game genre. None of the terms used will be familiar. Can you figure out what game each genre refers to? Small hint: I'm doing this in alphabetical order.

Space War
Ball and Paddle
Pursue and Destroy
Military Search-and-Destroy
Maze Chase
Horror Search-and-Destroy
Fantasy Quest
Basketball game
Motocross race and obstacle course
Horror Search-and-Destroy
Space War
Fantasy Search-and-Destroy
Fantasy Quest
Fantasy Search-and-Destroy
Martial Arts Combat
Aerial Combat
Martial Arts Search-and-Destroy
Space Shoot-'em-up
Science Fiction Quest
Military Role-Playing
Science Fiction Quest
Fantasyland Quest
Boxing
Hand-to-Hand (and sometimes Hand-to-Canvas) Fighting
Auto race
Fantasy Quest
Quest that leads you through deeper and deeper levels of danger fraught caves (okay, I don't think that counts as a genre)
Race and shoot
Quest through a cartoon fantasy land
Sequel to the quest through a cartoon fantasy land
Flight Combat Simulation
Hand-to-Hand Combat
Fantasy Quest
Science Fiction Quest (another hint, he gives this game the wrong title)
Fantasy Quest

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 7, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I futzed with the Retrofreak some more, installing the firmware update from a few days ago. Still quite happy with this as a system, and it's worked really well for ripping carts and saves. I even ripped the 8-bit Music Power cartridge released a week ago with it, rip seems to work 100% perfectly; it just yelled at me that it didn't recognize what I'd plugged in (and defaults to assuming there's a pin connectivity problem) but you can tell it to continue anyway. This also means I now have three separate ways to rip Famicom/NES titles.

It properly handles Game Boy games in the Super Game Boy format where supported (although I don't think it has the functionality to change palette, but maybe I just don't know how that's meant to work), which is nice, as OpenEmu on the Mac doesn't.

It looks like for Famicom, Super Famicom and Game Boy Advance, it uses No Intro as a database, for Game Boy and Game Boy Color it uses GoodGBx. No idea for the PC Engine or Sega systems, as I embarrassingly don't own anything for those that qualifies as a regular retail game, I got Everdrives immediately for those.

Also, while it will match games from any region, for Japanese games only it will also add in game information like Publisher and Release Date, I guess it has its own DB for those which doesn't cover other regions. This also makes multiple releases of the same game a confusing affair if the headers are all named identically, so something to be aware of, but I assume this would be easy to hack a solution for if needed.

The main flaw with the system is a lack of options for wireless controllers, and if you want to use official controllers you're a bit limited for multiplayer options, I think, although I haven't tried any multi-taps.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I am loving this Everdrive N8 I got. I don't know if its the rom pack I got or the built in software but it has sorting by publisher, top 100 games, translated games etc. I'm finding so many awesome games I never knew about. Little Samson is incredible.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I like deathsmiles.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

I am loving this Everdrive N8 I got. I don't know if its the rom pack I got or the built in software but it has sorting by publisher, top 100 games, translated games etc. I'm finding so many awesome games I never knew about. Little Samson is incredible.

It's the ROM pack (and I think I know the one, even), which just has multiple copies of everything to satisfy the sorting requirements.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

univbee posted:

It's the ROM pack (and I think I know the one, even), which just has multiple copies of everything to satisfy the sorting requirements.

Its terriffic

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Speaking of sorting, my Turbo Everdrive isn't the best at sorting alphabetically. It shows all of the games but sometimes a few roms are on another page even though the first letter is consistently upper case. I think this is all "good*" format with the codes and parens and such later in the filename.

Other everdrives have this issue too? I realize it can't be that easy to program a fat filesystem driver native to all of these systems, so its not the end of the world or anything.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: Here's a fun game for us to play. I have in my hands a copy of "How to Win at Nintendo" and the first heading of each section is the game genre. None of the terms used will be familiar. Can you figure out what game each genre refers to? Small hint: I'm doing this in alphabetical order.

Space War -Abadox or Alpha Mission
Ball and Paddle - Arkanoid
Pursue and Destroy - Batman
Military Search-and-Destroy -
Maze Chase - Bomberman
Horror Search-and-Destroy - Castlevania
Military Search-and-Destroy - Contra
Fantasy Quest - Dragon Warrior
Basketball game - Double Dribble
Motocross race and obstacle course - Excitebike
Horror Search-and-Destroy - Fester's Quest
Space War -
Fantasy Search-and-Destroy -
Fantasy Quest -
Martial Arts Combat - Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Military Search-and-Destroy - Jackal
Aerial Combat - Joust :v:
Martial Arts Search-and-Destroy - Kung Fu
Space Shoot-'em-up -
Science Fiction Quest -
Military Role-Playing -
Science Fiction Quest -
Fantasyland Quest -
Boxing - Punch-Out!!
Hand-to-Hand (and sometimes Hand-to-Canvas) Fighting - Ring King
Auto race - Roadblasters
Military Search-and-Destroy - Rush'n Attack
Fantasy Quest - [Magic of] Scheherazade
Quest that leads you through deeper and deeper levels of danger fraught caves (okay, I don't think that counts as a genre) - Spelunker
Race and shoot - dammit I want to say Roadblasters again.
Quest through a cartoon fantasy land - Super Mario Bros.
Sequel to the quest through a cartoon fantasy land - Super Mario Bros. 2
Flight Combat Simulation - Top Gun
Hand-to-Hand Combat - Urban Champion
Fantasy Quest - Willow
Science Fiction Quest (another hint, he gives this game the wrong title) - Xenophobe
Fantasy Quest - Zelda II

Some of these were easy (... I think) but most are not! I think that's a good start anyway!

EDIT: Just cheated and looked up the back cover and confirmed three of them.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 7, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Adding my guesses in bold. I'm pre-caffeine, so I'm not going to get too many, I don't think.

Discount Viscount posted:

Some of these were easy (... I think) but most are not! I think that's a good start anyway!

quote:

Space War -Abadox or Alpha Mission
Ball and Paddle - Arkanoid
Pursue and Destroy - Batman
Military Search-and-Destroy - Breakthru or Bionic Commando
Maze Chase - Bomberman
Horror Search-and-Destroy - Castlevania
Military Search-and-Destroy - Contra
Military Search-and-Destroy - Cobra Command
Fantasy Quest - Dragon Warrior
Basketball game - Double Dribble
Motocross race and obstacle course - Excitebike
Horror Search-and-Destroy - Fester's Quest
Space War - Guardian Legend
Military Search-and-Destroy - Guerrilla War
Fantasy Quest -
Fantasy Search-and-Destroy - Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2
Martial Arts Combat - Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Military Search-and-Destroy - Jackal
Aerial Combat - Joust
Martial Arts Search-and-Destroy - Kung Fu
Space Shoot-'em-up -
Science Fiction Quest -
Military Role-Playing -
Science Fiction Quest -
Fantasyland Quest -
Boxing - Punch-Out!!
Hand-to-Hand (and sometimes Hand-to-Canvas) Fighting - Ring King
Auto race - Roadblasters
Military Search-and-Destroy - Rush'n Attack
Fantasy Quest - [Magic of] Scheherazade
Quest that leads you through deeper and deeper levels of danger fraught caves (okay, I don't think that counts as a genre) - Spelunker
Race and shoot - dammit I want to say Roadblasters again.
Quest through a cartoon fantasy land - Super Mario Bros.
Sequel to the quest through a cartoon fantasy land - Super Mario Bros. 2
Flight Combat Simulation - Top Gun
Hand-to-Hand Combat - Urban Champion
Fantasy Quest - Willow
Science Fiction Quest (another hint, he gives this game the wrong title) - Xenophobe
Fantasy Quest - Zelda II
EDIT: Just cheated and looked up the back cover and confirmed three of them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going to keep calling them shmups like a normal person

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I call them shumps just to watch the world burn

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why did we ever let British people name things? or live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'd like to know who came up with the term "suicide bullets" so I can direct my :tizzy: towards them. Misnomers are the worst.

• Locked thread