Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't Europe just make boring hex-map war simulators for dads during the 8/16 bit era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't Europe just make boring hex-map war simulators for dads during the 8/16 bit era?

Nah, just a bunch of Turrican games and clones thereof.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Imagine if the 16 bit console generation had come around, and none of the companies had seen fit to add more buttons than they'd had for the second generation 8 bit consoles (ie NES/SMS/7800, so no telephone keypads like the Intellivision/Colecovision). Things would have been nearly as awful to play as Euro-computer games (though even the NES already had 4 distinct buttons, but the SMS and 7800 only have the 2 each).

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Elliotw2 posted:

That doesn't make the games good in 2016 when you aren't a schoolboy who gets to pick one game for your dad's computer a month.

One game a month? Lucky kid. I got a new computer game once or twice a year, and the first one I picked on my own was Archon II. The original was fun, so the second one must be even better!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Scaramouche posted:

I love those games but then again I'm german.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

I love those games but then again I'm german.

But your team always loses.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Jumpingmanjim posted:

But your team always loses.

Not in the games. :getin:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Imagine if the 16 bit console generation had come around, and none of the companies had seen fit to add more buttons than they'd had for the second generation 8 bit consoles (ie NES/SMS/7800, so no telephone keypads like the Intellivision/Colecovision). Things would have been nearly as awful to play as Euro-computer games (though even the NES already had 4 distinct buttons, but the SMS and 7800 only have the 2 each).

At least you would still have music and sound effects at the same time :laugh:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks European games suck.

You can immediately tell when someone is from the UK as they start talking fondly of the ZX Spectrum, Amiga, Commodore 64 and so on. They also really liked the Master System and Mega Drive over there. I can't fault them for that last one, the Sega Genesis is indeed awesome.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The intros that cracking groups made for c64/amiga stuff were probably better than most of the games. Europe really had it rough back then

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

It was all Amiga games where someone described what console games were like to someone who never heard of them and then tried to make their own.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

It was all Amiga games where someone described what console games were like to someone who never heard of them and then tried to make their own.

That's a very good summary.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks European games suck.

You can immediately tell when someone is from the UK as they start talking fondly of the ZX Spectrum, Amiga, Commodore 64 and so on. They also really liked the Master System and Mega Drive over there. I can't fault them for that last one, the Sega Genesis is indeed awesome.

black people drive like this

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I also liked how often conversions from the eurocomputer realm to regular consoles would often end up with weird bugs, or do annoying things like only give you one life because that's how the original game stretched out playtime.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xWDw68yWU

This looks so bad. Why wasnt the NES more popular over there anyway?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

African AIDS cum posted:

Why wasnt the NES more popular over there anyway?

There were already several entrenched computer platforms by the time the NES arrived and the games for those other systems were much cheaper (if you paid for them at all, many people didn't).

It's also worth remembering that the industry at that time was mainly comprised of tiny teams of students who'd knock something out in a month or two and sell it to whoever offered them money.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 9, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Also European distrobution of the NES was a wreck, and the microcomputer revolution that took Europe by storm caused people to be more interested in games for what they already owned instead of a dedicated expensive game machine.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I never really liked many SHMUPS or jump 'n runs even all that much and I wasn't the only one either. All these "boring" games were actually pretty successful in my circle of acquaintances and friends and there are also a few classics between them. Different tastes and all, I doubt the NES being more "accessible" or something would've changed anything for me at all and I'm not the only one.

EDIT: Oh, also that the Amiga computer was well.. a computer, and could do computer things.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 9, 2016

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

African AIDS cum posted:

This looks so bad.

Well, it is Battletoads after all

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I do wanna clarify that there are plenty of games across those old computers that are fun and well-suited to the platforms, they're just completely outside the realm of what Japanese arcades/consoles were doing at the time, so if that's where your tastes lie you'll wonder how anyone ever endured them at all.

I'm getting more nostalgic for those games as times go on but I can barely remember any of the games I spent any time with back then, just a lot of "holy poo poo hurry up and load already". Pirates! and Ultima 3 on C64, the isometric Batman game on Spectrum, uh...

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 9, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

The NES was much more expensive. In the old days, Nintendo didn't try very hard in Europe. Or really any region that wasn't North America or Japan. Why do you think the Master System was so popular in Brazil? It's not because it's better than the NES, because it definitely isn't.

The truth hurts, but in the 80s and 90s, the Japanese knew how to make games, but the Europeans just didn't. They didn't have the hanzo steel of glorious nippon.
:goonsay:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Island Nation posted:

Did anyone actually bet on this? Not the final score but closer than 99% of predictions by anyone

The way the real Super Bowl played out was eerily similar too. Tecmo SB showed a defensive battle with a lot bad QB play and turnovers. :tinfoil:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wonder how many times I've posted a joke about merchant trade ships bringing the concept of Gameplay to Europe. Probably at least thrice.

African AIDS cum posted:

I wonder who did the Amiga version of that game? Apparently the Genesis version was done by Arc System Works, of all the people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM8CYrMTxcw

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Genesis version is better too, since it is easier and doesn't have coop bugs.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was talking about this with my cousin, and I'm kind of wondering why didn't much come out of Europe during that era? Yes, Psygonosis and the Amiga existed, but wasn't Europe in general a large enough market to produce it's own console/infrastructure? Something like the Videospiel Gmbh system to compete with NES/SMS.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
anyone have any experience using the white and blue USB saturn-like controllers that say "Play SEGA" on them?

i see them mentioned here: http://blogs.sega.com/2009/11/25/playsega-vip-controllers/

I see a few different kinds around, some with red start buttons and some with blue. If anyone has some personal experience and can especially compare them to old saturn controllers please tell me whats up!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The playSEGA ones are kinda poo poo since they just bulk ordered the lovely gtron or whoever clones and screened their logo on them. They're kinda cheap feeling and the dpad is prone to breaking easily, but you can use them well enough until that happens.

The real good controllers are the ones that Sega Japan released in 2004 but they're literally hundreds of dollars at this point, so you're probably better served getting a saturn to usb adapter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm getting more nostalgic for those games as times go on but I can barely remember any of the games I spent any time with back then, just a lot of "holy poo poo hurry up and load already". Pirates! and Ultima 3 on C64, the isometric Batman game on Spectrum, uh...

Pirates has had so many fantastic ports and remakes that I feel no need to go revisit the C64 version.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The NES was much more expensive. In the old days, Nintendo didn't try very hard in Europe. Or really any region that wasn't North America or Japan. Why do you think the Master System was so popular in Brazil? It's not because it's better than the NES, because it definitely isn't.

Brazil also has something like a 200% tariff on electronics manufactured outside the country and someone set up a local Master System factory.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Scaramouche posted:

I was talking about this with my cousin, and I'm kind of wondering why didn't much come out of Europe during that era? Yes, Psygonosis and the Amiga existed, but wasn't Europe in general a large enough market to produce it's own console/infrastructure? Something like the Videospiel Gmbh system to compete with NES/SMS.

Honestly a lot of Europeans were pretty broke in comparison to the kind of money US/Canada/Japan people had, and you have to remember half of Europe was behind the Iron Curtain. So right there the market that could afford such things was a lot smaller than you'd think. There WERE several European-created consoles in the era of the 2600 in the US, usually they were loose copies of minor American market systems.

For instance where the US and Canada got the Magnavox Odyssey 2, essentially the same system was popular in Europe as the Philips Videopac G7000 - the games are mostly compatible, but some aren't. (Oddly enough, the Philips version launched in Europe before the American version launched in America)

The minor American console the Arcadia 2001 had several close clones over in Europe, with varying levels of compatibility.

And then after that era, no European company could put together a credible system to compete with the NES/SMS era of game consoles, though there were attempts. For instance, the British Konix Multisystem would have been a late 8 bit/early 16 bit era competitor if the funding and all that hadn't gone down the tubes. And strictly speaking you could call the Atari Jaguar a European console - the Flare Technology company of the UK is the people who designed the actual Jaguar system on contract to Atari, and had been trying to build a 16 bit console codenamed Panther for Atari before that ended up not working (and thus shifted all their work to the "next generation" Jaguar).

Those are American systems, even though they were only popular in Europe. :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Support in general in PAL territories in those days was really spotty. My wife is from a New Zealand a bit older than I am, and while I cut my teeth on the NES she never even saw a console video game before Playstation, despite having a circle of friends that she would have inevitably bumped into one if they had any real presence. Getting games working with PAL is a whole other thing, too, remember that a lot of early videogame systems were doing things pretty bare metal and relying on nuances with the signal standards, which are completely different in PAL territories beyond just the resolution and framerate (and also remember SÉCAM was a thing back then too). Didn't the N64 do kind of well in PAL territories relatively speaking because they actually got proper conversions of those games so you didn't have slowdown or a squished image with black bars?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fishmech posted:

Those are American systems, even though they were only popular in Europe. :colbert:

CD32 was definitely a Europe console and only mildly penetrated the US and Canada. Hell the system doesn't actually have NTSC output. It has a hack job of taking PAL colorspace and then applying it to a 60 hz signal which works "good enough" but all the colors are way off because of it. (Still want one even though they're garbage)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

Didn't the N64 do kind of well in PAL territories relatively speaking because they actually got proper conversions of those games so you didn't have slowdown or a squished image with black bars?
Many early releases (and probably some third party ones throughout the entire system lifespan) had the squished image and slowdown issue. They figured it out at some point, though.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
This is rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVuB1ZASrGw

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Why do you think the Master System was so popular in Brazil? It's not because it's better than the NES, because it definitely isn't.
Fightin' words. It's technically superior in most ways (except pausing perhaps?). After that it comes down to library of games, we know the shenanigans that happened in the US for them to win on that front.

Now I'm curious what NES games game out in Europea, especially compared to sms. Someone should do a head to head of 'top game of genre x' on each platform, I'm curious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

Now I'm curious what NES games game out in Europea, especially compared to sms.

Gimmick. :mad:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

falz posted:

Now I'm curious what NES games game out in Europea, especially compared to sms. Someone should do a head to head of 'top game of genre x' on each platform, I'm curious.

There aren't many. I take it back, I thought it was a lower total, still looks like 325 distinct games. Here's all the games which are bit-identical worldwide, not 100% sure if all of these were released in PAL territories:

Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Duck Hunt
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Mario Bros.
Pinball
Popeye
Soccer
Stack-Up
Super Mario Bros.
Urban Champion
Wild Gunman
Wrecking Crew

The following games had actual PAL releases:

Action in New York
Addams Family, The (En,Fr,De)
Addams Family, The - Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt
Adventure Island Classic
Adventure Island Part II, The
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Adventures of Bayou Billy, The
Adventures of Lolo
Adventures of Lolo 2
Adventures of Lolo 3
Adventures of Rad Gravity, The
Air Fortress
Airwolf
Aladdin
Alfred Chicken
Alien 3
Alpha Mission
Anticipation
Arch Rivals - A Basketbrawl!
Asterix (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Astyanax
Athletic World
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja
Balloon Fight
Barbie
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
Batman - Return of the Joker
Batman - The Video Game
Batman Returns
Battle of Olympus, The
Battleship (En,Fr,De,Es)
Battletoads
Battletoads-Double Dragon
Beauty and the Beast
Best of the Best - Championship Karate
Bigfoot
Bionic Commando
Blades of Steel
Blaster Master
Blue Shadow
Blues Brothers, The
Boulder Dash
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Bubble Bobble
Bucky O'Hare
Bugs Bunny Blowout, The
Burai Fighter
California Games
Capcom's Gold Medal Challenge '92
Captain Planet and the Planeteers
Captain Skyhawk
Castelian
Castlevania
Castlevania II - Simon's Quest
Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse
Championship Rally
Chessmaster, The
Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers
Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers 2
City Connection
Cobra Triangle
Corvette ZR-1 Challenge
Crackout
Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat
Darkman
Darkwing Duck
David Crane's A Boy and His Blob - Trouble on Blobolonia
Days of Thunder
Defender of the Crown
Devil World
Die Hard
Digger T. Rock - The Legend of the Lost City
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II - The Revenge
Double Dragon III - The Sacred Stones
Double Dribble
Dr. Mario
Dragon's Lair
Dropzone
DuckTales
DuckTales 2
Dynablaster
Eliminator Boat Duel
Elite (En,Fr,De)
Eric Cantona Football Challenge - Goal! 2
Excitebike
F-15 Strike Eagle
Faxanadu
Felix the Cat
Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge
Fester's Quest
Flintstones, The - The Rescue of Dino & Hoppy
Flintstones, The - The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak
Formula 1 Sensation
Four Players' Tennis
Galaga
Galaxy 5000
Gargoyle's Quest II
Gauntlet II
George Foreman's KO Boxing
Ghost'n Goblins
Ghostbusters II
Goal!
Godzilla - Monster of Monsters!
Golf
Goonies II, The
Gradius
Gremlins 2 - The New Batch
Guardian Legend, The
Guerrilla War
Gun.Smoke
Hammerin' Harry
Hero Quest (Proto)
High Speed
Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York
Hook
Hoops
Hudson Hawk
Hunt for Red October, The
Ice Hockey
Ikari Warriors
Incredible Crash Dummies, The
Iron Tank - The Invasion of Normandy
IronSword - Wizards & Warriors II
Isolated Warrior
Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road
Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
James Bond Jr
Jetsons, The - Cogswell's Caper
Jimmy Connors Tennis
Joe & Mac - Caveman Ninja
Journey to Silius
Jungle Book, The
Jurassic Park
Kabuki - Quantum Fighter
Kick Off
Kickle Cubicle
Kid Icarus (Rev A)
Kirby's Adventure
Knight Rider
Konami Hyper Soccer
Krusty's Fun House
Kung Fu
Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf
Legend of Prince Valiant, The
Legend of Zelda, The
Lemmings
Lethal Weapon
Life Force - Salamander
Lion King, The
Little Nemo - The Dream Master
Little Ninja Brothers
Little Samson
Low G Man - The Low Gravity Man
Lunar Pool
M82 Game Selectable Working Product Display
Mach Rider
Maniac Mansion
Marble Madness
Mario & Yoshi
Mario Bros. (Rev A)
Mario Bros. Classic
Mario Is Missing!
McDonaldland
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Metal Gear
Metroid
Mighty Bomb Jack
Mighty Final Fight
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Mission Impossible
Monster in My Pocket
Mr. Gimmick
NES Open Tournament Golf
New Ghostbusters II
New Zealand Story, The
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Nintendo World Cup
Noah's Ark
North & South
Operation Wolf
Over Horizon
P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Pac-Man
Panic Restaurant
Paperboy
Paperboy 2
Parasol Stars - Rainbow Islands II
Parodius
Phantom Air Mission
Pin Bot
Pinball (Rev A)
Pirates!
Power Blade
Prince of Persia
Pro Wrestling
Probotector
Probotector II - Return of the Evil Forces
Punch-Out!!
Puzznic
R.C. Pro-Am
R.C. Pro-Am II
Racket Attack
Rackets & Rivals
Rad Racer
Rainbow Islands - Bubble Bobble 2
Rampart
Rescue - The Embassy Mission
Road Fighter
RoadBlasters
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves
Robo Warrior
RoboCop
RoboCop 2
RoboCop 3
Rockin' Kats
Rod Land
Rollergames
Roundball - 2-on-2 Challenge
Rush'n Attack
Rygar
Section-Z
Shadow Warriors
Shadow Warriors II - Ninja Gaiden II
Shadowgate
Shatterhand
Side Pocket
Silent Service
Simpsons, The - Bart vs. the Space Mutants
Simpsons, The - Bart vs. the World
Simpsons, The - Bartman Meets Radioactive Man
Skate or Die
Ski or Die
Slalom
Smash T.V.
Smurfs, The (En,Fr,De,Es)
Snake Rattle n Roll
Snake's Revenge
Snow Brothers
Snowboard Challenge
Soccer (Rev A)
Solar Jetman - Hunt for the Golden Warpship
Solomon's Key
Solomon's Key 2
Solstice - The Quest for the Staff of Demnos
Spider-Man - Return of the Sinister Six
Spy vs Spy
Stadium Events
Star Force
Star Wars
Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back
StarTropics
Stealth ATF
Street Gangs
Sunman (Proto)
Super Mario Bros. (Rev A)
Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros. + Tetris + Nintendo World Cup
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Spike V'Ball
Super Spy Hunter
Super Turrican
Swamp Thing
Sword Master
Swords and Serpents
TaleSpin
Tecmo Cup - Football Game
Tecmo World Cup Soccer
Tecmo World Wrestling
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles - Tournament Fighters
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles II - The Arcade Game
Tennis
Terminator 2 - Judgment Day
Tetris
Tetris 2
Tiger-Heli
Time Lord
Tiny Toon Adventures
Tiny Toon Adventures 2 - Trouble in Wackyland
Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop
To the Earth
Tom & Jerry - The Ultimate Game of Cat and Mouse!
Top Gun
Top Gun - The Second Mission
Total Recall
Totally Rad
Track & Field II
Track & Field in Barcelona
Trog!
Trojan
Trolls in Crazyland, The
Turbo Racing
Ufouria - The Saga
Ultimate Air Combat (En,Fr,De)
Wario's Woods
Werewolf - The Last Warrior
Willow
Wizards & Warriors
Wizards & Warriors III - Kuros...Visions of Power
World Champ - Super Boxing Great Fight
Wrath of the Black Manta
WWF King of the Ring
WWF Wrestlemania
WWF Wrestlemania Challenge
WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge
Xevious
Yoshi's Cookie
Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
Zen - Intergalactic Ninja

I think of those, International Cricket, Parodius, Marios Bros. Classic and maybe Asterix and The Smurfs are the only not-in-US titles?

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 9, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

falz posted:

Fightin' words. It's technically superior in most ways (except pausing perhaps?). After that it comes down to library of games, we know the shenanigans that happened in the US for them to win on that front.

Make whatever arguments you like, the Master System is the inferior experience, technical specs notwithstanding.

Anyhow! I haven't shared any pictures with you guys for a while. Here, have some.

I made an effort to set up a few classic consoles as easily playable as possible on my desk, which required a fair amount of rearrangement, but I am pleased with the results.

And here we have one of my more recent influxes of games -

And finally, I have a lot of Sailor Moon games.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

falz posted:

Dude, I am a Sega fanboy and I love Sega to death. The Sega Saturn is the single most underrated console of all time. I'll even stand up for the Sega CD! And a few 32X games even!

But even then, it's hard to say that the SMS beats the NES. In terms of hardware, yeah, the SMS is better for sure. But I think we all should know that it's software that makes or breaks a console. And I'm not even saying that Sega's SMS games were bad, because there's plenty of good ones! But the NES just destroys it when you compare its library of games. I have a few SMS games and I like 'em! But you'd have to be nuts to say it's better than the NES.

Granted, Nintendo secured victory and its vastly superior library of games by shady means. They basically bullied developers into making games for the NES and not for the competition. Nintendo won by playing dirty, but they still won and if you had to pick one, the NES is the one more worth owning. With the SNES and Genesis though, you really gotta own both.

---

Going off on a different tangent, while driving to work, I was thinkin' about games as I'm a nerd, and I think the single worst decision Nintendo ever made was shafting Sony on the whole CD add-on deal that later spawned the PlayStation. Yeah, I know, not exactly a revolutionary idea. And lots of people LOVE the N64. But the N64 really marks the beginning of Nintendo's decline from the reigning king to the niche console. Nintendo were dicks in the past and with the cartridge format of the N64, they alienated a lot of 3rd party developers who jumped ship and went to Sony. They've never been able to get them back.

If I were to personify Nintendo and Sega, I would say that Sega was way ahead of its time albeit with extremely inept management, whereas Nintendo has the typical conservative Japanese mindset which is a stubborn resistance to change. They fought adopting optical media and online gaming and it really cost them. They've resisted mobile gaming a lot, too. Now Nintendo is forced to aim at a different demographic for their consoles because they wouldn't be able to compete with Sony or Microsoft directly at their own game.

However, Nintendo is firmly entrenched in the handheld market and all attempts to compete with the various Game Boys and DSes have met with failure. Consoles are dying in Japan, but handhelds are still king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Where did you get that Alien Crush wallpaper?

• Locked thread