Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It finally arrived...

More than likely going to get the switch board installed tonight when I get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Awesome. If you could document the install that would be fantastic. I'm very curious to see how easy or hard it is.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

beaver_cheese posted:

Awesome. If you could document the install that would be fantastic. I'm very curious to see how easy or hard it is.

It's dependent on the board used for the install. I believe I have a PU-22 if I remember correctly from when I installed my modchip. It's a 9 wire install.

Most of it is already pretty documented:

http://ps-io.com/downloads/

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just pulled out the NGPC again and dammit why does Dive Alert suck so much, it should be an awesome game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

African AIDS cum posted:

I mean on any system, those games are better than the current 16 versions of both those sports' games

Yeah.

That said, I think Neo Turf Masters for the Neo Geo is the best golf game ever made

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah.

That said, I think Neo Turf Masters for the Neo Geo is the best golf game ever made

Tru dat, the NGPC version is also great

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get an S-Video adapter too, because a few big-name games dont do VGA.

It's for this reason that most of the good VGA cables/boxes are switchable between S-Video and VGA, rather than requiring you to pull out the VGA thing from the Dreamcast.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Which ones? I have my Dreamcast hooked up VGA and I can't think of any major game that doesn't work with this setup.

Here's the most current compatibility list: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56169-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list-amp-Guide

Note that this list will mark a game as compatible if you can force it into VGA by doing the cable-swap trick (which is basically just having a non-VGA cable in when it starts, or a switchable cable switched to svideo; and then swapping a vga cable in or switching the box/cable over to VGA), by using a code through code breaker or similar, or by using a customized disc image if you burned the game.

The games marked non-compatible on that list have no known way to force VGA to work.

It's most common for the PAL version of a game to refuse to work with VGA while the US/Japan version of the same game works fine with VGA. Or for the PAL version to refuse to work at all while the US/Japan version can be tricked into working with a patch to disk image, codes, or swapping cables.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's dependent on the board used for the install. I believe I have a PU-22 if I remember correctly from when I installed my modchip. It's a 9 wire install.

Most of it is already pretty documented:

http://ps-io.com/downloads/

Ugh, I thought it only involved slapping that thing on the back and firing it up!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Kramdar posted:

Ugh, I thought it only involved slapping that thing on the back and firing it up!

I just checked it out, doesn't look particularly difficult as far as mods go, couple of traces to cut, some wires to solder, not too bad.

Edit: some of the soldering is fairly fine pitch so a bit more difficult than first glance, could see if someone else would be willing to do it/drop some cash on their service if you don't want to risk it.

Kea fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 12, 2016

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

In the process of buying a new house and moving, so I can't keep up with the thread. But I wanted to post my newest acquisition...

It's beautiful and I love it.

And yeah Tyson Tomko and I worked a badass trade. I made out with a grape 64 and a super gameboy 2(amongst other things. Including 90's rapper trading cards!). I didn't get pics before having to pack it up for the new house though.

Also you should all be ashamed for not mentioning HYDRO THUNDER as a must have Dreamcast game. (Also burn off a Beats of Rage disk or two)

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
So I was wondering if anyone could tell me which genesis and SNES games allow four simultaneous players with only two controllers. I have a feel that it's only few micro machine titles, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Also, the STG/shmup talk from a few pages back has me t honking how nice it would be to actually finish one without infinite credits. As I'm currently in genesis mode, anyone have suggestions for beginner friendly titles? The internet is telling me Arrow Flash and Thunder Force 3 should be doable, along with Darius 2 and Elemental Master. Also maybe Fire Shark because of the screen clearing weapons. Plan to play these while drinking, how bad is that idea?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fishmech posted:

It's most common for the PAL version of a game to refuse to work with VGA while the US/Japan version of the same game works fine with VGA. Or for the PAL version to refuse to work at all while the US/Japan version can be tricked into working with a patch to disk image, codes, or swapping cables.

I swear there's at least one game where the opposite exists and we have VGA-capable versions of games that the US/JPN releases don't.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MediumWellDone posted:

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me which genesis and SNES games allow four simultaneous players with only two controllers. I have a feel that it's only few micro machine titles, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Also, the STG/shmup talk from a few pages back has me t honking how nice it would be to actually finish one without infinite credits. As I'm currently in genesis mode, anyone have suggestions for beginner friendly titles? The internet is telling me Arrow Flash and Thunder Force 3 should be doable, along with Darius 2 and Elemental Master. Also maybe Fire Shark because of the screen clearing weapons. Plan to play these while drinking, how bad is that idea?

I'm pretty sure the Genesis micro machines games all used the "j-cart" design that stuck two more controller ports into the top of the cartridge, to allow 4 controllers without a multitap type device.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear there's at least one game where the opposite exists and we have VGA-capable versions of games that the US/JPN releases don't.

I know Gigawing 1 only supports RGB on the PAL release for some idiotic reason, dunno about VGA though

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MediumWellDone posted:

Not quite what you were asking for, but M.U.L.E. on the NES carried over the computer game's multiple players sharing controller stuff so four players can play with two controllers. The parts where all four players interact at the same time only need either to register input (the land grants) or up-down (the auctions) so one player gets the d-pad and the other gets the buttons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

fishmech posted:

I'm pretty sure the Genesis micro machines games all used the "j-cart" design that stuck two more controller ports into the top of the cartridge, to allow 4 controllers without a multitap type device.

They do, but they also let two players to share a controller for up to 8 total players.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They do, but they also let two players to share a controller for up to 8 total players.

This is what I wanted to hear! 'Pad sharing' is a beautiful thing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

About 5 hours and 40 minutes into Light Crusader and I'm nearly done with it. It might not have even taken that long if it weren't for having to do a few of the trickier puzzles over and over again. Man, I knew this one was short but I didn't remember it being that short. It's not like I'm just breezing through because I've played it before either. I remembered only the barest little fragments and nothing helpful. I did turn to a guide on Gamefaqs for some clues because I'm old and will die someday and don't have time to do the same poo poo over and over again.

Thought of the night: "Is this the part where you hack a tank apart with your sword? It is!" :hellyeah:

In sadder news, an innocent Genesis 3-button controller died of static shock tonight. On the one hand it's nice to have a carpeted basement, on the other hand... :(

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Commencing PSIO switch board install now.

Edit: Install done.

Checking how hosed up my images are: http://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 12, 2016

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Thanks to everyone for the Dreamcast recommendations! I have a lot to consider!

If I get Typing of the Dead, do I need the keyboard + mouse or just the keyboard?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Just the keyboard, but get two so you can play with a friend!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh hey, neglected to put up a pic of the PSIO switch board install. Here you go:

The install itself is definitely not for beginners. 3 precise cuts and soldering thin gauge kynar wires (included with PSIO) to very small points. If you're not up to it, the PSIO guys offer an install service. Though I'm not sure how many of you would want to ship out you PS1 motherboard out to Australia. Otherwise, I recommend finding someone to do the install for you. If you're gonna do it yourself, you definitely need an X-Acto knife or similar tool for fine cutting and a multimeter to make sure your cuts are clear.

Looks good though when it's all said and done though!

Also here's a Youtube of the little bit of image testing I did. Mind the audio cut that happens during the SOTN part because of Twitch's Content ID catching it, it comes back by Mega Man 8 though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zuNJ-Khxew

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

MediumWellDone posted:

The opposite is also pretty cool too. Playing Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer or Goldeneye on the N64 with 2 controllers (meaning 1 person holds 2 controllers) is really fun.

Also Dreamcast wise, unless I'm blind nobody has mentioned any fishing games! Sega Bass Fishing 1 and 2 along with Marine Fishing both work great with the SLAMMIN Dreamcast fishing rod controller and are super fun. They still play and look great today too!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Tyson Tomko posted:

Also Dreamcast wise, unless I'm blind nobody has mentioned any fishing games! Sega Bass Fishing 1 and 2 along with Marine Fishing both work great with the SLAMMIN Dreamcast fishing rod controller and are super fun. They still play and look great today too!
^ definitely this with the fishing controller. Be sure to use an actual casting motion to utilize its built in motion sensor too!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Tyson Tomko posted:

The opposite is also pretty cool too. Playing Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer or Goldeneye on the N64 with 2 controllers (meaning 1 person holds 2 controllers) is really fun.

This is also a thing for Smash TV on the NES. I don't know how many people have seen these, but there are third-party NES controllers that have the cord coming out of the left hand side. This sucks for almost everything but is actually kinda useful when playing 1-player/2 controller Smash TV since you hold the controllers with the d-pads facing the TV.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Just wanted to say that I always appreciate your technical contributions to this thread.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
PSIO question: is there a menu in "USB mode"? Can I just have my PS1 connected to a computer and have the equivalent of a gigantic flash cart?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just got one of my personal grails in the mail

This is such a "PC-Engine-ish" game, it's like the poster child of the PCE exclusive shooter with weird Giger-inspired organic stuff, a Compile style weapon system with lots of variety, a buzzy "chip rock" soundtrack, and just a general hard to pin down feeling that PCE nerds will recognize instantly. I think there were a lot of SF otaku designing games back then and that whole vibe comes through in a lot of these PCE games. I really adore this game and wish I knew who developed it. Check out stage 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZeTy8yLIRg&t=360s

e: according to this it was probably developed by flight-plan and the main programmer went on to join Eighting, which is pretty dope

d0s fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 12, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

midge posted:

Just wanted to say that I always appreciate your technical contributions to this thread.

No sweat. I may not be an electronic engineer but I can make sense with any piece of well documented instructions... and maybe some guessing.

I even do other installs not really related to retro games: http://imgur.com/a/TJaiK

TheRedEye posted:

PSIO question: is there a menu in "USB mode"? Can I just have my PS1 connected to a computer and have the equivalent of a gigantic flash cart?

Looked in the manual, and unfortunately there are no screenshots of the console software but the way it's described, it sounds like it's a File > Open Image situation. I'll take a look at the software but I don't have a long USB cable to use and can't use my MacBook as the software is Windows only.

Edit: Had a few minutes before heading out to work. Yeah it's pretty barebones:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 12, 2016

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Hi Thread,

I'm working on helping my goony brother-in-law sell a bunch of his old PSX, XBOX, Genesis, PC and various other games and I have a general question.

Is there a reliable website (besides eBay) where I can get a general sense of what each game is worth? For example, I personally collect vinyl records and there's this website called Discogs where you can research albums and see a high/mid/low price for each album. It helps when trying to figure out the (general) value of your album.

Is there anything analogous to this type of site when it comes to retro video games? If not, is there any way (besides eBay) to get a general idea of each games value? Thanks!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

Though it's just an aggregate of sold listings on eBay, Amazon, and a couple others.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Xarthor posted:

Hi Thread,

I'm working on helping my goony brother-in-law sell a bunch of his old PSX, XBOX, Genesis, PC and various other games and I have a general question.

Is there a reliable website (besides eBay) where I can get a general sense of what each game is worth? For example, I personally collect vinyl records and there's this website called Discogs where you can research albums and see a high/mid/low price for each album. It helps when trying to figure out the (general) value of your album.

Is there anything analogous to this type of site when it comes to retro video games? If not, is there any way (besides eBay) to get a general idea of each games value? Thanks!

VGPC is the closest to what you're describing. But it's not a marketplace like Discogs; it's just an aggregation of ebay and Amazon prices. Good for showing trends but not great for pricing individual items.

What is your objection to using ebay listings? Most people just go look at recently sold items and find a few that match the condition of what they're trying to sell.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

Though it's just an aggregate of sold listings on eBay, Amazon, and a couple others.

No, that's great. Perfect. I don't have a problem with eBay per se, I just wanted a quicker way to do it. Thanks!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MediumWellDone posted:

I can't think of any other retro games that do the same thing but there are also several Wii games that let you split two players between a Wii Remote and Nunchuk or a Wii Remote with a tethered Classic Controller, most recently the Wii U indie game Runbow.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Had a few minutes before heading out to work. Yeah it's pretty barebones:

So my dream of having a flash cart with the entire PS1 library will have to wait while I manage files on SD cards like some kind of cave man.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TheRedEye posted:

So my dream of having a flash cart with the entire PS1 library will have to wait while I manage files on SD cards like some kind of cave man.

It's not too terrible. Despite it saying it supports up to 32GB SD cards, it seems OK with my 64GB card after formatting it to FAT32 and I have 80+ images on there. Any games that need CU2 files are already created by the PSXDEV community along with cover art. I didn't spend a lot of time managing it.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

TheRedEye posted:

You could buy several SD cards and scribble the letter titles (#-C, D-H,etc) or, even better, by genre. :retrogames:

I realise now that pad sharing as an adult isn't so fun, I'd rather just hunt down a multi-tap.
Using two controllers as a single player is pretty badass, but how about two players, each with their own controller, controlling one character. Anyone have any good experiences? It was always good for a laugh in Perfect Dark and Golden Eye. I hear Battletech on the genesis does it too.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

MediumWellDone posted:

I realise now that pad sharing as an adult isn't so fun, I'd rather just hunt down a multi-tap.
Using two controllers as a single player is pretty badass, but how about two players, each with their own controller, controlling one character. Anyone have any good experiences? It was always good for a laugh in Perfect Dark and Golden Eye. I hear Battletech on the genesis does it too.

I had a lot of fun doing this with friends to get four player pod racing on the N64.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

MediumWellDone posted:

You could buy several SD cards and scribble the letter titles (#-C, D-H,etc) or, even better, by genre. :retrogames:

I have considered this. You could put them in a binder if you use the binder sheets that coin collectors use.

I'm not doing this but I really hope someone else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
will the PSIO work in one of the little white PS1s or just in the original gray fatbox model

also, finally playing some of the poo poo you nerds recommended for me a while back. it's fun as hell opening up random games and not knowing what they are or how they're played or what i'm trying to do and just winging it

• Locked thread