Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think the DOS versions of Pirates!, including it's version of Pirates! Gold, are the best versions, though the Genesis version's good too. There's also of course the 2004 remake on the Xbox, PC, and iOS.

If you enjoy it, there's also a sort-of sequel in Sword of the Samurai, which is basically the same game but set in Sengoku Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mike12345 posted:

I recently thought about checking out Pirates! again, and loaded it up on Win UAE. Was fencing always this laggy and crap? I googled a bit, curious if there are console ports, and found Pirates! Gold for the Genesis. Visuals seem a bit nicer, and fencing a bit more "fluid". But still.... the crazy things nostalgia does to you. I think I'll stay on the Genesis version though, seems like they improved it a bit.

I'm not sure which version of Pirates! you were playing. Pirates has been ported to literally everything and has had multiple remakes. The Genesis version was based on the first remake which was also on DOS/Windows 3.1, Amiga, and a few other platforms.

Elliotw2 posted:

I think the DOS versions of Pirates!, including it's version of Pirates! Gold, are the best versions, though the Genesis version's good too. There's also of course the 2004 remake on the Xbox, PC, and iOS.

If you enjoy it, there's also a sort-of sequel in Sword of the Samurai, which is basically the same game but set in Sengoku Japan.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the C64 version, I've got the Wii version of that later remake that I should give a try...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Also I guess Covert Action is also sort of a sequel to Pirates too if you think about it.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Well, they haven't melted off completely, but I'm unsure how to wipe the surface or if I can salvage anything underneath the melted bits.

I guess a photo would help, huh? I'll look into taking one later.

Either way, I don't think we have a Lowe's in my corner of Mexico, so...
A thin putty knife and lighter fluid or googone. Go slow, and be very reserved with the amount of lighter fluid you use (shoot it under the knife if possible). If you are very lucky, the putty knife might be able to be worked under the pad and pop off a chunk of it in one go. Just know lighter fluid can destroy any label it touches, and is obviously bad for the PCB.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've bought a couple of those 8-bit xmas homemade NES dealios and I have to admit they are pretty cool and more fun than they should be. The random LEDs make it that much more fun. They are also one of the best "investments" you can ever make nowadays because those things go for insane amounts on ebay every now and then.

In process of cleaning and organizing things now and came across this bad boy from the Pokemon tournament in Stl in 2000 (I was very cool in high school obviously haha...I went undefeated at that place :hellyeah:)

I've still got this Mew on my blue cart and have a copy of the .sav backed up so hopefully I have a legit one in some form forever.

(edited to change number bc I'm a stupid paranoid goon, and everyone is blacking them out for some stupid reason. Mine's a 4 digit number in the 8000s )

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 26, 2016

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So I'm googling like mad on this but does any one know off hand if there is truly no difference between a North American and a UAE/Malaysia/Singapore copy of Mario Party 9? Thus far I've found that both are probably NTSC, but I can't find anything definitive on whether it's in English. Chances are good that it is, but I'd like something better than Ebay descriptions swearing up and down to that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Off-region roms are always a clone of another, see the variants that exist in goodn64 or no intro. As an example Korean Nintendo roms are a mish-mash of JP and US roms.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Turbinosamente posted:

So I'm googling like mad on this but does any one know off hand if there is truly no difference between a North American and a UAE/Malaysia/Singapore copy of Mario Party 9? Thus far I've found that both are probably NTSC, but I can't find anything definitive on whether it's in English. Chances are good that it is, but I'd like something better than Ebay descriptions swearing up and down to that.

The disk should be the same. Don't count on it having a manual. It will also have a slightly lower resale value.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turbinosamente posted:

UAE, Malaysia and Singapore all use PAL for actual TV broadcasts, but the situation for games is murkier. Seems like some games released there are PAL versions that won't work on NTSC-U systems and others are NTSC-U region coded.

flyboi posted:

Off-region roms are always a clone of another, see the variants that exist in goodn64 or no intro. As an example Korean Nintendo roms are a mish-mash of JP and US roms.

Mario Party 9 is a Wii game.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm aware however UAE is one of those weird regions that borrows randomly from others

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Waltzing Along posted:

The disk should be the same. Don't count on it having a manual. It will also have a slightly lower resale value.

I'm not so worried about resale, the thing was I was looking at a brand new sealed one in a game shop and the clerk there said "no ones had a problem with them and he sold tons of them." Which also does not inspire confidence. Sure Mario Party may go out of print fast, but to the point that the only way to get a brand new copy is to import one from a different market? (All I can turn up is the possibility that Nintendo officially lets a 3rd party company manufacture and sell the game for those regions, something I cannot substantiate with internet searching at all).

Edit: I can't quite remember if the region code given on the back was NTSC(J) too as a bonus.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

flyboi posted:

Just :retrogames: mvs games

What's the difference between the ones with blue trim and the ones with green trim?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Allen Wren posted:

What's the difference between the ones with blue trim and the ones with green trim?

It's color coding from the AES game labels based on genre of games. Green was sports, blue was action and red was fighter. I custom-made the end caps but there's the reasoning behind my colors. I'm indifferent on fighters hence the lack of red.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tyson Tomko posted:

In process of cleaning and organizing things now and came across this bad boy from the Pokemon tournament in Stl in 2000 (I was very cool in high school obviously haha...I went undefeated at that place :hellyeah:)

I've still got this Mew on my blue cart and have a copy of the .sav backed up so hopefully I have a legit one in some form forever.

I still have my certificate but the Mew itself was on my Blue cart and it got corrupted, somehow :(

(Probably from loving around with Missingno.)

Also still have some of the other bits from the Pokemon Tour '99, including the Boulder and Cascade Badges and the window cling!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Discount Viscount posted:

I still have my certificate but the Mew itself was on my Blue cart and it got corrupted, somehow :(

(Probably from loving around with Missingno.)

Also still have some of the other bits from the Pokemon Tour '99, including the Boulder and Cascade Badges and the window cling!

Right on! I've got my little keychain badges they gave us too near my MAME cabinet, I'll grab a picture of them sometime. Getting that save off that cart and my Ultima NES game were one of the biggest retro goals I ever had. I put so many hours into each I

The 2000 event was pretty intense yet fun. Of all the easy and tough challenges, the best was the little kid (I say little kid, I was 16ish or so and this kid was 12) loudly proclaimed "this guy gamesharked!" when my Jolteon wrecked his Mewtwo using Pin Missile. He called a counselor over to dispute it and the guy just kind of shook his head and walked away. Seeing that kids friends full on "OHHH!!!!!" was pretty drat fun.

I'll have to see if I can dig up some of those ancient polaroids sometime because it was a really fun time. The Pikachu beetle was there, the BRAND NEW STATE OF THE ART Pokemon Stadium display was there, and all kinds of cool other stuff. I'm super sure it was a lot nerdier than I remember and I'd love to go back and relive it all again as a 32 year old.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
does anyone have a link to the instructions for how to permanently jailbreak a psp 3000/go? i know they worked it out in the lsat year or so but i can't find it now

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Right on! I've got my little keychain badges they gave us too near my MAME cabinet, I'll grab a picture of them sometime. Getting that save off that cart and my Ultima NES game were one of the biggest retro goals I ever had. I put so many hours into each I

The 2000 event was pretty intense yet fun. Of all the easy and tough challenges, the best was the little kid (I say little kid, I was 16ish or so and this kid was 12) loudly proclaimed "this guy gamesharked!" when my Jolteon wrecked his Mewtwo using Pin Missile. He called a counselor over to dispute it and the guy just kind of shook his head and walked away. Seeing that kids friends full on "OHHH!!!!!" was pretty drat fun.

I'll have to see if I can dig up some of those ancient polaroids sometime because it was a really fun time. The Pikachu beetle was there, the BRAND NEW STATE OF THE ART Pokemon Stadium display was there, and all kinds of cool other stuff. I'm super sure it was a lot nerdier than I remember and I'd love to go back and relive it all again as a 32 year old.

Yeah I remember the Beetle being there, and the main stage stuff being done on N64s with a Game Boy adapter (not sure whether an internal Nintendo one or otherwise.) Pokémon Pinball was also being shown. Man, remember being able to keep track of every Pokémon game for a few years?

Here's someone's account of the Dallas leg of the tour: http://archive.thegia.com/features/f990814.html

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah I remember the Beetle being there, and the main stage stuff being done on N64s with a Game Boy adapter (not sure whether an internal Nintendo one or otherwise.) Pokémon Pinball was also being shown. Man, remember being able to keep track of every Pokémon game for a few years?

Here's someone's account of the Dallas leg of the tour: http://archive.thegia.com/features/f990814.html

I never even thought about searching around for pictures of the event, great idea! Found some quick stuff on Pokemon 2000 Stadium Tour I went to.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_2000_Stadium_Tour

I remember the Mew line corkscrewed around the mall for a million miles but of course it was worth the wait. I forgot all about the little "gates" you'd occasionally go through to feel like you were making progress:

FYI I was still rocking my original GB at that point myself.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Literally The Worst posted:

does anyone have a link to the instructions for how to permanently jailbreak a psp 3000/go? i know they worked it out in the lsat year or so but i can't find it now

Interested in this myself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Literally The Worst posted:

Cliche Guevara posted:

Interested in this myself.

http://wololo.net/2016/02/14/release-davee-releases-project-infinity-6-61-permanent-patch-for-me-pro-cfws/

IIRC the Go's pause function doesn't work with it but.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There is a special place in hell for people who hard code drive paths into their executables for PC games. No, you pile of poo poo, that is not my CD-ROM drive and what do you mean there is no configuration file or registry entries?

Not that I should have expected much from an adventure game coded in 1999 like Traitors Gate. At that time adventure games were reduced to a few half brain dead idiots in a basement and it was a miracle if their stuff even executed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There is a special place in hell for people who hard code drive paths into their executables for PC games. No, you pile of poo poo, that is not my CD-ROM drive and what do you mean there is no configuration file or registry entries?

This is way more commonplace than you'd think even today, especially with business-tier software.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

This is way more commonplace than you'd think even today, especially with business-tier software.

For almost ten years I dealt with that from business software and encountered it even from people like Microsoft. There's a reason I've gone back to school for a degree in something that won't cause my blood pressure to shoot through the roof.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

For almost ten years I dealt with that from business software and encountered it even from people like Microsoft. There's a reason I've gone back to school for a degree in something that won't cause my blood pressure to shoot through the roof.

Yeah I'm looking into a similar exit strategy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Yeah I'm looking into a similar exit strategy.

I'll tell you that electrical engineering is a good move where you can apply some of your same skills, work creatively, and is a career that won't be going anywhere.

More retrogame-wise, I'm glad I popped in Sega Bass Fishing when I couldn't get the adventure game to work. The Wii version is a nice alternative if you don't have the Dreamcast fishing controller.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dragon Quest just turned 30. :toot:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

And every person in Japan suddenly went, "Wow, I'm old."

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

What's the difference between this and other PSP hacks? I've had my go hacked to play backups for years and it has never expired or anything like that

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

d0s posted:

What's the difference between this and other PSP hacks? I've had my go hacked to play backups for years and it has never expired or anything like that

Not having to run the CFW when you start the PSP I guess? Saves you about 15 seconds or so.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

univbee posted:

I'm older than Dragon Quest? gently caress me.

In a way that's kind of cool. I'm a huge fan of DQ/DW, especially Monsters and Monsters 2, so to know I've been alive throughout it's history is alright.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Skunkrocker posted:

I'm older than Dragon Quest? gently caress me.

In a way that's kind of cool. I'm a huge fan of DQ/DW, especially Monsters and Monsters 2, so to know I've been alive throughout it's history is alright.

Get off my lawn! :corsair:

Also, if you played Dragon Quest 1 from launch slowly enough to gain 1 level per year, you will have just hit max level. Now go kill the Dragonlord already, he should be a piece of cake now!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I got this VGA cable thing for my Dreamcast:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191766396791

I'm not sure what the two little connectors are, though? Like, the Y-shaped connector that looks like it goes on the stereo audio plugs, and the yellow banded one that goes on the VGA end.

Can one of you guys help me out? Thanks!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

So I got this VGA cable thing for my Dreamcast:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191766396791

I'm not sure what the two little connectors are, though? Like, the Y-shaped connector that looks like it goes on the stereo audio plugs, and the yellow banded one that goes on the VGA end.

Can one of you guys help me out? Thanks!

The VGA one looks like a male-to-female connector to use as a bridge if your VGA monitor has a hardwired cable, and the audio one might be a similar idea which also drops it to mono. I would assume neither is required if you can actually hook everything up.

EDIT oh in the auction it says it's a 3.5mm connector, so you can hook up headphones/speakers to that.

These adapters are both probably not very useful outside of late 90's when you're repurposing an actual PC's CRT monitor and speakers for your Dreamcast.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I know I have a VGA connection on my HDTV, but I didn't see a dedicated stereo audio connection near it. What would my options be for audio? I have a component switch box, could I run the 2 audio cables to some of the unused audio sockets on the switch box?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Generally your TV will use the regular analog audio RCA in if it doens't have a dedicated 3.5mm jack for the VGA input.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll take another look when I get home and see if it has a dedicated 3.5mm jack that I just didn't notice. Then I'd just need to use the adapter and a 3.5mm cable and I'm good to go, right?

Which would provide better audio quality, the stereo RCA audio, or the 3.5mm?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I'll take another look when I get home and see if it has a dedicated 3.5mm jack that I just didn't notice. Then I'd just need to use the adapter and a 3.5mm cable and I'm good to go, right?

The RCA most likely but probably not a meaningful difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomrph posted:

It is identical quality, so go for what's most convenient.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

univbee posted:

The RCA most likely but probably not a meaningful difference.

It'll be a difference when you hook up instruments and look at waveforms since each channel gets separate ground, rather have that on colour channels :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

It'll be a difference when you hook up instruments and look at waveforms since each channel gets separate ground, rather have that on colour channels :v:

If you're not calibrating with an oscilloscope you're not truly retro gaming. :v:

On that note, what's the most ostentatious retro gaming setup? PS1 as a CD Player and Analog NT would be up there...

• Locked thread