Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You'll end up spending 3x the going rate for a dreamcast console just for cables to get it hooked up to the tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

GutBomb posted:

You'll end up spending 3x the going rate for a dreamcast console just for cables to get it hooked up to the tv.
The true :retrogames: experience!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

It's kind of sad how many consoles this is true for, not even including the cost of the Framemeister.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

It's kind of sad how many consoles this is true for, not even including the cost of the Framemeister.

At least for the GameCube you can just buy a Wii.

Assuming you don't want to use the GameBoy player, of course. :negative:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Dreamcast -> Toro -> SCART switch -> Frameister

Edit: And to further clarify, there's a fully pinned male-to-male SCART cable from the Toro to the SCART switch.

What kind of cable do you use from the Dreamcast to the Toro? VGA?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

Started playing ffvi advance. Still love the game and it's a blast but that audio...

:(

I don't remember who posted the link here before so I can't give credit (but thanks!), but there's a patch for that to use the SNES sounds that really does make it much much better.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
I noticed white Saturns are quite affordable to import from Japan, so I want to buy one. I am in europe right now though, so id need a stepdown converter but pretty much every single one i see on amazon seems to have QC issues. Is there a preferred one for retro consoles?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I played the Secret of Monkey Island remake the other day. Horrible artwork and animation (I couldn't mash F10 fast enough to switch it to the original graphics), but that audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCzZdmZgIw

:allears:

Even if you wanted to play it all the way through in the Remake Mode, it's actually impossible to complete one of the puzzles with the Modern UI :v:

Switching mugs to carry Grog to the prison.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Xenomrph posted:

What kind of cable do you use from the Dreamcast to the Toro? VGA?

The Toro would replace your VGA box. It's the Dreamcast AV connector on the end if you look at the picture. It has a SCART output that you would connect to your Framemeister however you connect your other SCART connectors for consoles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FireMrshlBill posted:

The Toro would replace your VGA box. It's the Dreamcast AV connector on the end if you look at the picture. It has a SCART output that you would connect to your Framemeister however you connect your other SCART connectors for consoles.

Ohhh okay, I guess I didn't recognize that. Thanks!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

At least for the GameCube you can just buy a Wii.

Assuming you don't want to use the GameBoy player, of course. :negative:

Run a GBA emulator duh

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Literally The Worst posted:

Run a GBA emulator duh

Or wait for that plug n play option that is supposed to roll out in the next year that will allow for HDMI output or the use of Wii component cable output from the GC's digital out port.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

Or wait for that plug n play option that is supposed to roll out in the next year that will allow for HDMI output or the use of Wii component cable output from the GC's digital out port.

The hell of it is that sucker will probably cost less than a legit component cable for the system.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

fishmech posted:

The hell of it is that sucker will probably cost less than a legit component cable for the system.

Probably? This is as close to a "definitely" as you can get.

I still kick myself for never buying GCN component cables. And all because I used the component input on my tv for my DVD player.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

fishmech posted:

Oh it can't be that expens

:stare: oh.

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That looks lower than normal, there was a time when they were pushing $400. I hold out the insane hope that one will be in the pile of a/v cables in the back of a thrift store one day. It will never happen but I can dream.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is there anyone out there who likes the original Tron arcade game? I know the machines sold extremely well which is why would could find them anywhere, but it plays so poorly. It's essentially Light Cycles and three terrible minigames. Tron isn't the worst arcade machine, but it's the worst one with Tron in the title by a mile...

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Ambitious Spider posted:

Started playing ffvi advance. Still love the game and it's a blast but that audio...

You can fix it!

absolutely anything posted:

Remember back in March when we were talking about how the Final Fantasy 6 Advance music restoration patch got totally rebuilt but still replaced the opera scene music with an MP3 and that was insane? Well it just got brought to my attention that last month version 2.1 got released, which added support for the US and JP roms... and THOSE have the original song instead of the MP3 (not the EU rom though, sorry FIGS!). I'm really happy that I can recommend that without reservation now. FF6A with the music and color restoration patches is now 100% the definitive way to play that game.

e: Wait poo poo! There's a patch in there for the EU version with no MP3 also. Everyone wins!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

XYZ posted:

Oh it can't be that expens

:stare: oh.

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

For some reason Nintendo decided not to put the chip that allows Component Out inside the GameCube itself, so that chip only exists in the component cables themselves, which were only sold online because this was before component out was popular. The cables didn't sell particularly well, so they were discontinued and now that high quality video for video games are in demand, so are those cables.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Is there anyone out there who likes the original Tron arcade game? I know the machines sold extremely well which is why would could find them anywhere, but it plays so poorly. It's essentially Light Cycles and three terrible minigames. Tron isn't the worst arcade machine, but it's the worst one with Tron in the title by a mile...

It looks great, lightcycling is pretty good, tanks could be good with a touch more polish, but it's badly unbalanced and clunky...

...the MCP fight and data spiders (?) stages are absolute horseshit, though.

I do like Discs of Tron.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Wasn't there some kickstarter or project that successfully reverse-engineered the gamecube component cable chip and was going to start producing cables?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I think the terminal d version is around $150-200 now and you can buy a breakout adapter if you're hard up

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Or you could buy 10 Wiis for that price instead. Or one Wii U and setup Nintendont.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

Or you could buy 10 Wiis for that price instead. Or one Wii U and setup Nintendont.

But, Game Boy Player.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ChaosArgate posted:

For some reason Nintendo decided not to put the chip that allows Component Out inside the GameCube itself, so that chip only exists in the component cables themselves, which were only sold online because this was before component out was popular. The cables didn't sell particularly well, so they were discontinued and now that high quality video for video games are in demand, so are those cables.

The reason is so that Nintendo could spend the absolute minimum on GameCube production. This is also why the GameCube doesn't use standard DVD discs or provide DVD playback (and for that matter, why the Wii didn't come with DVD playback).

Extreme cheapskating finally started to bite them in the rear end at the tail end of the Wii and with the Wii U, of course.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I should probably post the handmade VGA output I have hanging off my Dreamcast at some point.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So my PS2 got yanked off the table and now it won't turn on. Is it safe to assume it's completely hosed?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mikeycp posted:

So my PS2 got yanked off the table and now it won't turn on. Is it safe to assume it's completely hosed?

In a general sense, it's possible something internal just wound up unhooked, and if you take it apart and re-hook it up it'll start working again. Might even be salvageable if "broken" by resoldering. It COULD be totally hosed, but it's not 100% certain until you have a look inside. Shrodinger's PS2.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

univbee posted:

In a general sense, it's possible something internal just wound up unhooked, and if you take it apart and re-hook it up it'll start working again. Might even be salvageable if "broken" by resoldering. It COULD be totally hosed, but it's not 100% certain until you have a look inside. Shrodinger's PS2.

I have it open but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. The only thing that seems out of place is a fuse looking thing that's completely white.

e: Not sure what, but it seems something just came unseated because it works now after I poked at a bunch of random stuff.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 30, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a difference in quality between GC > component and Wii (GC) > component?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

But I'm using the real cart and a gb player to play it on my pvm

Though I guess the obvious answer is to not do that

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a difference in quality between GC > component and Wii (GC) > component?

Slight (and I mean slight) color reproduction difference and it's a little sharper on GameCube.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Waltzing Along posted:

wii u
wii
gc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

liquid courage posted:

as far as the hobby is concerned, how is retro gaming going to continue into the 4k era? is hdmi going to become the new output for console mods? are there even any upscalers that work on 4k tvs yet? i'm just curious as i'd like to keep collecting, but it seems like a waste if 1080p monitors are the end point of what can display old 240p and 480p games. i guess in short, how long do you guys expect that the hardware that even supports old games is going to last?

This is a good question because a 4k TV is going to be upscaling a 1080p image from the Framemeister. I doubt the Framemeister has the CPU to handle 4k upscaling. If it does, maybe a firmware update will take care of it. If not, we'll be those weird goons looking for 1080p TVs on Craigslist in 20 years.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is a good question because a 4k TV is going to be upscaling a 1080p image from the Framemeister. I doubt the Framemeister has the CPU to handle 4k upscaling. If it does, maybe a firmware update will take care of it. If not, we'll be those weird goons looking for 1080p TVs on Craigslist in 20 years.

To be fair, doubling the width and height is going to be a lot faster than doing the math to get a 240p signal to look right on 1080p. So, there might be some upscaling slowness from 1080p, but if there is, it probably won't be nearly as bad as directly hooking up an NES to a 1080p TV today is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Elliotw2 posted:

wii u
wii
gc

That doesn't look like the Wii U version. Wii/GC look exactly the same, though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Waltzing Along posted:

That doesn't look like the Wii U version. Wii/GC look exactly the same, though.

It's the Gamecube game running on a Wii U, the HD version wouldn't matter for this comparison. Also the colors on Wii are slightly duller than on GC and the edges are (very very) slightly fuzzier.

Ambitious Spider posted:

But I'm using the real cart and a gb player to play it on my pvm

Though I guess the obvious answer is to not do that

One of the many important reasons to have a GBA flashcart

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I find it interesting that you forget the obvious answer: within 20 years someone just sells a Framemeister but with 4k support (or 8k support or whatever we're using in 2036).

Of course some people will be swearing that 1080p upscaled 240p signals are the purest form in 2036...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I hope that within 20 years where is some crazy retro guy who tries to make bespoke CRTs. I'm sure it would fail horribly, but with the Chameleon seemingly behind us we need another crazy story to laugh at at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mikeycp posted:

I hope that within 20 years where is some crazy retro guy who tries to make bespoke CRTs. I'm sure it would fail horribly, but with the Chameleon seemingly behind us we need another crazy story to laugh at at some point.

There's still plenty of CRT manufacturing equipment around. Some retro nerd who won say $20 million in the lottery could start a factory back up. Hell, they could probably make better CRT sets then most of us used in our childhoods, what with modern circuitry to handle everything tied to the CRT itself.

And even beyond that, there's a lot of stock of the CRTs themselves in junkyards around the world, which are still perfectly serviceable. You just need to strap on new controlling circuitry and magnets and you can make "new" CRT sets that are pretty darn good. Rip 'em out of the junky surrounding set they came from and put 'em in new cabinets, load up the back with all the inputs nerds want, and you'll probably get a couple thousand sales a year to people with more money than sense!

• Locked thread